Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: The Crafting System Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week is a seminal one for the Camelot Unchained team as they take to the airwaves to talk about the game that man are looking to as a return to old-school MMOs with definite new-school elements. Today in the second of our CU features, Mark Jacobs et al are ready to talk crafting. Check out our exclusive interview before heading to the Camelot Unchained Twitch.tv channel right about now to participate in a live stream event where even more will be revealed.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Camelot Unchained: The Crafting System Revealed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

They just droped slides on CRAFTING!!!

http://massively.joystiq.com/photos/camelot-unchained-bsc-days-crafting-reveal#!slide=2770188

They also have an article indicating that they are basically leaving the UI creation up to the community which is great as most UI's (that allow mods) are almost immediately disposed of.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07/16/camelot-unchaineds-ui-powered-by-chromium-community/

Sorry for all the crossposting, this information is just far too valuable!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Compared to every other MMO, Camelot is crushing the competition in core system creativity.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

Frankly I am tired of this game and it isn't even out yet.  Yes it sounds good, but that is all they have and all they really have had for the past year or so.  Game will be lucky to be out in 2016 and I am better 2017 or 18. 

So they need to stop with saying and start producing.  Sure anyone can say we are going to have x,y,z but in the end it might be x,c,d that comes out.  Give us more then words, lets see actual gameplay even the pre-alpha stuff and I know it most likely isn't even to that stage, so until I can start seeing results I will stay with the believe it when I can see/experiance it myself.

Originally posted by cerulean2012

Frankly I am tired of this game and it isn't even out yet.  Yes it sounds good, but that is all they have and all they really have had for the past year or so.  Game will be lucky to be out in 2016 and I am better 2017 or 18. 

So they need to stop with saying and start producing.  Sure anyone can say we are going to have x,y,z but in the end it might be x,c,d that comes out.  Give us more then words, lets see actual gameplay even the pre-alpha stuff and I know it most likely isn't even to that stage, so until I can start seeing results I will stay with the believe it when I can see/experiance it myself.

Gameplay will be shown I believe today and tomorrow at around 5:30 Pm

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by sludgebeard
    Compared to every other MMO, Camelot is crushing the competition in core system creativity.

Really? crushing the competition without actually releasing a game?

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Really? crushing the competition without actually releasing a game?

No Im saying that conceptually they have a very sound plan, I said nothing of gameplay. 

There doing things way differently that a core mmo would, and thats very pleasing to hear considering the amount of money in this project will make it a contender with AAA titles. 

They are defiently crushing the competition in terms of relative ideas, systems, and ability to hold those core principles together in a meaningful way.

Let me rephrase my original statement and add this to it:

ITS OK TO BE EXCITED ABOUT AN IDEA! Thats why this game was kickstarted to begin with, it was a great idea to start, now they are expanding on it in an even more exciting BSC way.

So yes, stand by my original statement all the way and we have no reason to believe they wont come thru on their promises in the coming videos for the BSC days and in the near future. Show some restraint from trolling and try to have some fun like the team at Camelot is doing.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    I used to be hyped for a possibility of a DAoC 2 but they seem to be going for way too much BSC. History has shown that too much BSC always ends up in a disaster.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    They only need to do one thing to make a successful game: Deliver. Until they've done that, it is an equally amazing experience to EQN and Half Life 3.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by boxsnd
    I used to be hyped for a possibility of a DAoC 2 but they seem to be going for way too much BSC. History has shown that too much BSC always ends up in a disaster.

A plain DAOC 2 with no new features would not sell as well as the game Camelot Unchained is aiming to be. 

Old experiances are great for a super niche crowd, but these guys are looking to break out, and make something new that will appeal to both the old and the new.

They are taking a bigger risk by not making a mainsteam game or simply DAOC 2, but thats why they have a better chance at larger success. 

Plus come on, if your a DAOC vet you should enjoy how much of the core concept is still intact and try and accept the new, you wont find a better chance than with CU.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Ambitious. They speak good words, the right words, but many a game has promised fine things. I do hope they don't drown in their own ambitions.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Dude, they are like at a whole new level here. Carefully designing their systems with an end-goal in mind. Love all of what I'm hearing so far.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't know any of these guys by face but the guy doing the talking does not sound like he has many answers to give us just your typical political speech.

Developers need better PR guys,people who actually know the game very well and give us factual solid information and not lines like "We are making the game FUN".As soon as i heard him say that i was like ok cya ,just sounds like a typical bs speech.

The guy is just talking wild and vaguely like you get nothing from what he is saying,nothing at all.

He should be able to say things like ok crafting is from recipe books,there are rare crafts that are hard to discover,crafting has no barriers each player can craft everything ect ect,that is solid information we want to hear.He was talking about Main player and alts and still i didn't know wtf he was talking about.

This is how the whole speech sounded to me...

Oh we have a game it is actually the same old boring stuff but i will  try my best to make it sound like it is a FUN game for everyone to play.BS speeches might make you some money if you are selling anything but once players play a game ,if it is the same old or just plain boring you will lose all your players very quickly.

Bottom line is this team needs a better PR man/women.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

You are missing a considerable point. We (those who pledged money) are part of the development process. We heard virtually nothing from them for many months. This isn't hype. It is conveying concepts and ideas with expectation for community feedback in the very initial processes of game development. It isn't about presenting something after it is developed. It is about being part of the development process (as limited as it may be) AS IT HAPPENS. It goes without saying that initial planning may vary drastically from a completed product.

If you do not understand this entirely unique approach to game development I am sure I cannot attempt to explain it to you further.

You stay sassy!

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    The only crafting system I've enjoyed was in Star Wars Galaxies, and I'm not a crafter. But the system was too good not to get into some part of it. So I set up a business helping players furnish their homes. They told me what they wanted, preferably a theme, and I did the scouting for the items. I used creativity to put together items to create something new, because you could resize items and place them easily where you wanted them.
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by boxsnd

For me I am just wandering from one game to another because they are all just like what is out there already.  So, I get bored easily, play 30 days and end up quitting.  Especially when it come to the same old quest grind to level.

I for one am ready for something BSC and different from what is out there already.

Nanulak

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Now, what do I think about the proposed BSC crafting system.  I am not sure.   So far, the magic system is extremely exciting.  The combat system is super exciting.  But as someone who rarely does any crafting, I just can't get excited about the system. 

Who knows, I may like crafting this time and actually become a "Crafter".  I just don't know.

Nanulak

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't know any of these guys by face but the guy doing the talking does not sound like he has many answers to give us just your typical political speech.

Developers need better PR guys,people who actually know the game very well and give us factual solid information and not lines like "We are making the game FUN".As soon as i heard him say that i was like ok cya ,just sounds like a typical bs speech.

The guy is just talking wild and vaguely like you get nothing from what he is saying,nothing at all.

He should be able to say things like ok crafting is from recipe books,there are rare crafts that are hard to discover,crafting has no barriers each player can craft everything ect ect,that is solid information we want to hear.He was talking about Main player and alts and still i didn't know wtf he was talking about.

This is how the whole speech sounded to me...

Oh we have a game it is actually the same old boring stuff but i will  try my best to make it sound like it is a FUN game for everyone to play.BS speeches might make you some money if you are selling anything but once players play a game ,if it is the same old or just plain boring you will lose all your players very quickly.

Bottom line is this team needs a better PR man/women.

This isn't a PR session. It is an event to interact with their backers DIRECTLY with the designers. MJ clearly stated this isn't meant as hype as many ideas based on founder feedback and production information may and likely will alter the initial concept drastically. This is expected with any major project. If anyone here has ever taken a project management course (I have as IT is largely project driven) they will know that this is built into the process. This is why project management is incredibly difficult and stressful at times. It is also the reason why most developers completely keep the consumer out of the process. This event is to witness this process throughout the entire process. Many here do not seem to understand how incredibly unique this is. Your brains seem to warp and break trying to understand that this isn't about revealing a product ... it is about designing a product.

This event is not about selling the game but rather designing the game. Participate or ignore the game until it is released if brainstorming concept doesn't interest you.

You stay sassy!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Tamanous

This isn't a PR session. It is an event to interact with their backers DIRECTLY with the designers. MJ clearly stated this isn't meant as hype as many ideas based on founder feedback and production information may and likely will alter the initial concept drastically. This is expected with any major project. If anyone here has ever taken a project management course (I have as IT is largely project driven) they will know that this is built into the process. This is why project management is incredibly difficult and stressful at times. It is also the reason why most developers completely keep the consumer out of the process. This event is to witness this process throughout the entire process. Many here do not seem to understand how incredibly unique this is. Your brains seem to warp and break trying to understand that this isn't about revealing a product ... it is about designing a product.

This event is not about selling the game but rather designing the game. Participate or ignore the game until it is released if brainstorming concept doesn't interest you.

Lol, of course this event is part of the marketing hype !

Why else inform the world at large that you are now going to have a week's worth of discussions with your Kickstarter backers about game design concepts ? They could have just sent emails to all the backers with private invites.

By telling the whole world about the event, the implied message is: "Become a backer NOW and be a part of this amazing event !"

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Reading the crafting documents.....I had a flashback

Camelot Unchained will have archers that have to make arrows to use their weapons.

AHHH THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF UO !!!!!

• krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Just more talk, this time in some half assed flash cards to make it more appealing since they cant put out any decent gameplay vids.