Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Is ESO Worth Buying?

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

If you ask if GW2,TSW, (insert B2P/P2P) is worth buying on these forums what do you expect the answer to be?

From the horde of F2P lovers no, so thanks for another great question Mr Getchell. Maybe in his next piece on ESO he can try to not use such emotionally laden language, but he is a journo (well he does reviews), so that's a big ask.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    If you love Elder Scrolls - ESO will feel like a rip off to you.
  • skergeskerge Member Posts: 11

I have 3 level 50's there. The game is great but after awhile the lag in Pvp will finally get on your last nerve. If you have a large group of 5 or more every time someone joins your group you lag for 3-6 secs when you engage in battle Lag. After like a month+ playing it I just said I quit I can work with this lag. I have never been in a game were people joining groups and the whole game lags and sometime it kicks people out of the game also. If you like to quest its great on that part and even grinding, But Pvp even though the concept of it all and how it looks is far better then GW2 pvp its just the Lag I cant work with. shame

to be honest it should go free to play

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

yes! as an B2P SP +  casual MP rpg game

No ! as an mmorpg with monthly sub

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I think it would be an excellent pay to win game. I hope they move the model to pay to win.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Provocative as the title of the article might be, it's actually a pretty good parody of the average thread title in the ESO forums here.

Well beyond its qualities as an MMO, this game generated a "following" of rabidly anti-ESO "fans" from the moment it was announced who have had many reasons for bashing it...at times, hysterically so.

In all my years of watching the development of MMOs, I don't remember ever seeing such negative scrutiny of the tiniest little detail or decision for any other game. I guess there's a very passionate TES community out there with as many ideas about what a TES MMO should be as there are individuals in that community, Ironically it's this "true TES fan" crowd who have always been most negative about this game's design and development.

This creates an interesting design dynamic in that they're trying to create and improve a very good MMO but the marketing department at Zmax, I'm sure, wants to cater to the TES-fan crowd since, they reason, they bought 20 million+ copies of Skyrim... waste of time and effort in my opinion since that crowd will never even agree among themselves about what a TES MMO should be and their opinions range from no PVP at all to a full PVP "sandbox" that they can also mod like crazy. Time to just focus on catering to MMO players who play MMOs regardless of whether its roots are in a known IP or not... which is thankfully, what they seem to be focusing on with the upcoming updates.

Leaving aside preconceptions about what a TES MMO should be, IMHO, the game itself is more than worth the money and time. It's a quality AAA "themepark" MMO... period. My HD has 5 MMOs installed that I have played on and off for a couple of years: GW2, Rift, LOTRO, TSW and ESO. I haven't touched anything but ESO since it launched and don't see myself doing so for months to come.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    In one word......Yes. 
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    TESO and Wildstar are games with B2P/F2P tags just waiting on them. All they are trying to do is milk as much money as they can before the inevitable. WoW will follow suit thanks to WoD.

a WoW fanboi- didnt know they were still around...lol

tsk tsk...

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Crusades

I dunno im  was n Elder scroll player- TESO is fine to me.

you may find it a rip because of the monthly sub?...well the sub will keep the trolls away imo.

• StammererStammerer Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by orbitxo

you may find it a rip because of the monthly sub?...well the sub will keep the trolls away imo.

I would say it is more to do with the fact that they have removed all of the core mechanics and design choices that make an Elder Scrolls game an Elder Scrolls game and instead taken a generic mmo and put an Elder Scrolls paint job over it.  

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Nope. In a few months this game will be either a f2p hybrid or at the very least free to try then just paying for a sub. Either way there won't be a "box" charge in a few months, no point in wasting money on it.

~I am Many~

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Stammerer

I would say it is more to do with the fact that they have removed all of the core mechanics and design choices that make an Elder Scrolls game an Elder Scrolls game and instead taken a generic mmo and put an Elder Scrolls paint job over it.  

I would say it's not a generic mmo as I don't know of many mmo's that have quests done in this fashion to the extent that we have various interactions with  npc, the world changing around you (albeit, not too  drastically) and having one's decisions create permanent affects.

A generic mmo would be run to quest giver, now usually with "!" above the head, not read text, run to area on map, kill 5 of something, collect something and then run back and rinse repeat.

One might not like how Elder Scrolls Online has implemented their quests (which of course is fine) but it's not really a "generic" mmo.

The new Archlord is a generic mmo. hate to say it but Lord of the rings online is a generic mmo.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37

Bought Imperial version and played for about 2.5 months. Then just stopped. I hit VR12 on my Sorc, VR7 on my templar. The game has its fun moments and it's all in all not a bad quality game. The graphics are nice, voice acting, and story is tolerable. However, at the end of the day I just don't feel TESO is an ES game. At its core its just a mediocre run of the mill mmorpg with "ELDER SCROLLS" slapped on top of it....so given that fact, if they stripped away the title, the game would just be that. Mediocre.

Their whole idea with end game with the Veteran Rank system, so you can play the other 2 factions....is totally FUCKING BALLS SHIT BORING LAME EXCUSE FOR AN END GAME TIME SINK CONTENT! Sorry, I really had to get it out there. Veteran Ranks, for me, is one of the lamest things TESO has to offer. There are of course other issues such as bugs, and their phasing server tech which means you can't do any quest with anybody if you already did it nor can you help them fight that VR7 double elite boss mob that your friend gets 2 shot by but they expect you to solo.....riiiiight. Many design flaws here and there as well, but in a nut shell....buy with caution or avoid.

You reap what you sow.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Iselin

Provocative as the title of the article might be, it's actually a pretty good parody of the average thread title in the ESO forums here.

Well beyond its qualities as an MMO, this game generated a "following" of rabidly anti-ESO "fans" from the moment it was announced who have had many reasons for bashing it...at times, hysterically so.

In all my years of watching the development of MMOs, I don't remember ever seeing such negative scrutiny of the tiniest little detail or decision for any other game. I guess there's a very passionate TES community out there with as many ideas about what a TES MMO should be as there are individuals in that community, Ironically it's this "true TES fan" crowd who have always been most negative about this game's design and development.

This creates an interesting design dynamic in that they're trying to create and improve a very good MMO but the marketing department at Zmax, I'm sure, wants to cater to the TES-fan crowd since, they reason, they bought 20 million+ copies of Skyrim... waste of time and effort in my opinion since that crowd will never even agree among themselves about what a TES MMO should be and their opinions range from no PVP at all to a full PVP "sandbox" that they can also mod like crazy. Time to just focus on catering to MMO players who play MMOs regardless of whether its roots are in a known IP or not... which is thankfully, what they seem to be focusing on with the upcoming updates.

Leaving aside preconceptions about what a TES MMO should be, IMHO, the game itself is more than worth the money and time. It's a quality AAA "themepark" MMO... period. My HD has 5 MMOs installed that I have played on and off for a couple of years: GW2, Rift, LOTRO, TSW and ESO. I haven't touched anything but ESO since it launched and don't see myself doing so for months to come.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes - It's the PvP party of the year. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'd say it seems worth the buy for if nothing else the single player aspects, I will eventually, when? I have no idea.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
    some guys just say it better, thx Iselan   :  )
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I enjoyed the story depsite it feeling redicously long to put myself through. I enjoyed other aspects such as crafting as well.

However, pvp was a miss as well for me. There were abilities that were bugged, and at the same time I had the last quest bugged so I was stuck with pvp as my only option for content, and just joining as a solo player felt not that epic but a large cluster/zerg fest at times... and anything else such as waiting between way points at choke points etc took too long to see action and most people avoid those situations despite being very importnat for certain classes such as stealth to play a larger pivotal role to the campign.

So Im sure my issues such vr content being rhashed and too long could be addressed or overlooked... but thats a major negative for an mmo to recylce content of other factions and make the grind unnecessarliy long.

Lacking pvp systems to allow for more meaningful pvp, and the map being too large for not putting enough into pvp

Bugged quests which are probably resolved.

There is potential for good dungeons and epic boss fights, but when something being challenging is challenging beucase its bugged, then that leaves a bad taste in someones mouth and not caring for challenging content since its either bugged or easy.

For example of an epic fight is making the fight long with certain aoe abilties, attack abiltiies, cc to avoid/stun and it might start easy but as the fight progresses maybe the roation happens quicker. However the bugged fights i saw was an instant attack the killed in one shot. So that happened and it seemed wanting challenging content from these devs was only encouraging the devs to play with fire and cause people to nerd rage over mechanics qhich are bugged or broken and not challenging.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by movindude
    Originally posted by Iselin

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I would say it's not a generic mmo as I don't know of many mmo's that have quests done in this fashion to the extent that we have various interactions with  npc, the world changing around you (albeit, not too  drastically) and having one's decisions create permanent affects.

A generic mmo would be run to quest giver, now usually with "!" above the head, not read text, run to area on map, kill 5 of something, collect something and then run back and rinse repeat.

One might not like how Elder Scrolls Online has implemented their quests (which of course is fine) but it's not really a "generic" mmo.

The new Archlord is a generic mmo. hate to say it but Lord of the rings online is a generic mmo.

By generic I mean it is a linear, on rails levelling experience through level-specific zones using defined classes.  The world is heavily divided rather than feeling open and sandboxy.  

The quests are fairly generic; you essentially meet a quest giver and you kill, gather, collect. If it were a single player game I would argue that they are quite well implemented but the fact they are heavily reliant on phasing prevents grouping on a lot of occasions which is a cardinal sin for an mmo.  

My essential point is that it is not an elder scrolls game, it is in fact a generic mmo (albeit with heavy phasing that prevents group play) and with an elder scrolls paint job.  I think that is a pretty accurate assessment.      

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

By generic I mean it is a linear, on rails levelling experience through level-specific zones using defined classes.  The world is heavily divided rather than feeling open and sandboxy.  

The quests are fairly generic; you essentially meet a quest giver and you kill, gather, collect. If it were a single player game I would argue that they are quite well implemented but the fact they are heavily reliant on phasing prevents grouping on a lot of occasions which is a cardinal sin for an mmo.  

My essential point is that it is not an elder scrolls game, it is in fact a generic mmo (albeit with heavy phasing that prevents group play) and with an elder scrolls paint job.  I think that is a pretty accurate assessment.      

I have had the complete opposite experience from what you are describing in ESO. There aren't any quest hubs in this game, you can go out and explore random dungeons and delves the same as TES games before it. The phasing hasn't been a problem since a few weeks after release, and even then it wasn't a problem if people knew how to use the travel to player function.

It's very much an Elder Scrolls game, everything from the combat to atmosphere screams it from the treetops, and I have never gotten a generic vibe from the game. Even the dungeons are handled differently than a traditional MMO's with the way tanking, healing, and pulls are handled. There are so few quests, if any, that are generic kill and gather quests.

I guess everyone's experience is different, but it seems like you would know what you said was not true had you played ESO. To me, this is pretty much what I always imagined an ES MMO would be like ever since I had been thinking about since Morrowind was released. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion on the game, but to call it an accurate assessment with no basis or facts beyond your own opinion is not helping anyone, least of all yourself.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

I have had the complete opposite experience from what you are describing in ESO. There aren't any quest hubs in this game, you can go out and explore random dungeons and delves the same as TES games before it. The phasing hasn't been a problem since a few weeks after release, and even then it wasn't a problem if people knew how to use the travel to player function.

It's very much an Elder Scrolls game, everything from the combat to atmosphere screams it from the treetops, and I have never gotten a generic vibe from the game. Even the dungeons are handled differently than a traditional MMO's with the way tanking, healing, and pulls are handled. There are so few quests, if any, that are generic kill and gather quests.

I guess everyone's experience is different, but it seems like you would know what you said was not true had you played ESO. To me, this is pretty much what I always imagined an ES MMO would be like ever since I had been thinking about since Morrowind was released. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion on the game, but to call it an accurate assessment with no basis or facts beyond your own opinion is not helping anyone, least of all yourself.

Is it really necessary for people to write imo before every opinion they state on these forums?  Of course it is my opinion, I am hardly referencing any other factual source.  

I would not have said anything had I not played ESO- why would I care?      

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244

yay another, doom and gloom thread

wow mmorpg.com good job ranting 

-.- 

-.-

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

question: Why hasn't any of the ES games ever delivered co-op or multiplayer (apart from some mods)?

Personaly I love the singleplayer versions but I also know that what I love about them can hardly be the same in a MMORPG. Zenimax in my opinion did nail it. And deliverd. Yes things are slightly different, yes it has some MMO related issue's people are experiancing I think especially in the PVP field. But in my opinion they mixed the 2 very nice but still have some work to do..

Most ES games started riddled with bugs yet when it comes to it's MMORPG version suddenly bugs are un-acceptable?

• ZiezoZiezo Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Don't listen to the haters!! Started playing Teso a month ago and LOVE IT! Best game around atm. Its beautiful, deep and will only get better.

Playing: TESO (great!)
    Most looking forward for: Everquest Next
    Have Played: World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, Everquest Online Adventures, Everquest 1, EverQuest 2, Dungeons & Dragons Online, The Chronical of Spellborn, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Aion, CoH, Loong, Dragon nest, LoL, Alods, Diablo 3, NWN, Tera, Poe, Guild Wars 2, Rift
    Most favorite; Everquest online Adventures (EQOA, 2003, PS2)