Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Open World PvP Shines in New Trailer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red 5 Studios has released a brand new trailer to show how open world PvP action will be a big part of the Firefall retail release when it hits on July 29th. PvP in the open world will take place on Broken Peninsula, an area that is attractive to players for its resource-rich environment. Players will be placed on teams of up to 20, with the area able to support up to ten teams of 20. Check out the video and let us know what you think!

Although capturing outposts is a key part of a successful strategy, the primary goal in Firefall's Open-world PvP is for players to gather as many resources as you can.  However, resource collection in Broken Peninsula works somewhat differently.  Gathered resources are not automatically credited to players.  Instead, these resources are stored inside the base. What this means is if players have gathered a large amount of resources inside a base, but then another team comes and takes over the base before a successful transfer of resources  takes place, the other team will get all of those resources.

When playing in Broken Peninsula, competing players are not your only opposition.  By far the biggest non-player threats are the Chosen.  The Chosen know of the value of the area, and they know that the Accord cannot afford the resources to properly secure it.  As such, they will do anything in their power to prevent humans from transporting resources back to New Eden.  This means that squads of Chosen will drop in and attack bases or thumpers in the area.  On occasion, players may even run into Chosen Incursions or Death Squads.

Find out more about Firefall and its forthcoming launch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Looks like a cheap version of planetside 2 ^^

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Its an awful game.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Joejc7135
    Its an awful game.

For the sake of argument what in your opinion makes FireFall an awful game? I have played FF for a year and have enjoyed it immensely. 

That aside they are officially launching on July 29, you should give it another try.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I havnt played it in awhile, but when i did it was a fun game. it just lacked content, i got tired of running around the map in a giant circle doing the same quest over and over.

but adding this pvp might shake things up a bit and add some fun, as long as it isnt hacked to death like every other F2P shooter.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Firefall is one of it's own at the moment if you ask me.  It is pretty much just an open world shooter with some class based RPG elements, a skill based shooter you might call it.

It has open world PvE, and PvP for release now.  Crafting and resource gathering is pretty much the main investment in the game.  I don't know if they still have the arena based PvP in it anymore but it used to be.

It's pretty much a sandbox game minus the ability to manipulate and build the world directly.  For those who haven't played it yet, you are at no loss trying it out if you have any interest in trying it.

It's a great game if you ask me.  I'm looking forward to trying it out again.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Mikeyfree
    Looks like a cheap version of planetside 2 ^^

exactly my impression - PS2 with crap graphics

• This is STILL in OB? Heh. About 6 months ago I told people I caught wind that there was going to be OPVP in a designated area (I had in-game chat with a GM asking about future PVP.) 

They all  laughed at me and told me that it's a PVE sandbox and that PVP has no place in the game.

Looks like I have the last laugh. :P

EDIT: I didn't know it was gonna be an entire area or mini continent, GM just told me "designated very large area with no guards and likely no rewards, just fun PVP."

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    What? First they take out PvP because they realized that PvE should be their focus and now they're adding it back? I don't even know what the hell this game is supposed to be anymore.

Smile

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Takes place in a specific area, with set teams?

That sounds like the very opposite of what most would consider to be "Open World". Not impressed at all.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    They took out instanced pvp because people wanted PVE and open world PVP.  THey also added 3x the pve content with this patch as well.
  • feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

That sounds like the very opposite of what most would consider to be "Open World". Not impressed at all.

PVP takes place in a large region like guild wars 2 or eso has a region for their PVP.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Originally posted by feena750

PVP takes place in a large region like guild wars 2 or eso has a region for their PVP.

Probably those same people he was referring to wouldn't consider GW2 or ESO open world pvp either.

• FiZiKaLReFLeXFiZiKaLReFLeX Member Posts: 3

Hahaha, this looks like a bad knock-off version of Planetside 2.  I wish companies would stop stealing ideas and go do something of their own.  Why would you play this when Planetside 2 (Awesome game) exists.

~FiZiKaL

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." ~Albert Einstein

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I think this has been in development long before Planetside 2 ever came out.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by FiZiKaLReFLeX

Hahaha, this looks like a bad knock-off version of Planetside 2.  I wish companies would stop stealing ideas and go do something of their own.  Why would you play this when Planetside 2 (Awesome game) exists.

~FiZiKaL

Perhaps because PS2 is a P2W gankfest, and lacks the PvE side that Firefall has?

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Is the pvp in the game now or they waiting till release?

and hows the population in this game? it wasnt all that great when i tried it like a year ago has it grown?

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

According to the news sites... July 29th at release.  This is just a preview video.

Being that it is about to go F2P... I'd say on release, you should see a healthy population bump.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Lol, that's not open world PvP.  Teams and number limits, great...

I will definitely try it out, but they may as well call it instanced battleground PvP with restrictions like that.

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

So do we wait until it gets removed when people whine about balance like spvp was? Maybe they'll cite ambiguous numbers of how many people aren't participating and then tell us they're only taking it out for our benefit...

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    That's not open world PVP...
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

How in the hell do you people even see a similarity in Firefall and Planetside 2?  They are so far apart the fact that you are even stating it is a knockoff is downright ignorant.

I am in no way defending the game as I have enjoyed both - but even from watching gameplay videos the games look nothing alike, and play nothing alike.

I've played both games and I can in fact tell you that these two games are far from being like one another.  Holy hell batman, you guys are fekked in the head.

This is like saying Counter Strike is a rip off of Goldeneye.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

played one of the many earlier iterations of this game and it was quite enjoyable and I imagine since they have kinda turned back the clock it may be fun to play again

except I won't because

now that they have "open world" PVP (which it isn't) they have to give incentive for people to actually participate - in the form of "the best" resources in the game - very typical of games with mixed pve and pvp where the "best" drops, armor, weapons blah blah blah blah are given to PVPers on a silver platter - apparently PVP isn't very attractive on its own

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Gona suck big time now that everything is going to be level locked...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

OWpvp=/=Wpvp, thus the O in front of the W.

I call it Apvp. Area pvp...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Exactly. Its not open world PVP