Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no shame in this F2P culture - ArcheAge is officially becoming P2W.

0effort0effort Member Posts: 103

Update

Cash Shop - http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?16916-Trion-s-Cashshop-Full-list-Prices-%28-and-%80%29-and-Feedback

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

<div may-blank-within"="">

Asuna - Cost - item - use - why

• 300 - labor pot - gain 1000 labor back, cooldown 12 hr - you're buying labor points and labor points just basically = money and progress.
  • 300 - vocation xp tonic - gain 100% xp from labor for 1h - you can basically speed boost lvling via crafting, its not as bad as straight up buying labor but it's still going to progress you further
  • 80 - (variety of different drop rate honor, xplossprevention, production items) time 60 mins - basically buying boosts, not the worst but still a p2w feature
  • 45 - 5 tax certificates - used for well anything a tax certificate is used for like paying taxes - means you can just bypass having to make them and gives an advantage to people who buy them, this one is not really terrible either because only patrons can have land.

Over all its not terribly p2w but the main ones like the labor are definitely p2w - Over all I personally like the feel of the marketplace i also think its going in the right direction but needs more customization stuff - would like to see race changing in as well.

GuardianAngle - there is the 1month patron item and other things which you can basically just sell for gold

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Anath - The patron status, or better the credits for it, will be tradable with other players. How is that pw2? You get the credits by playing so it's the same.

Chryos - After dropping 150 for the game, and paying for a monthly subscription, do I have access to the full game? Or am I going to still have to spend more money via micro-transactions to buy extra features that should be included if you purchased the game?

I'll be pretty disappointed if my 150 and a monthly sub is not enough. That's my concern and will determine if I will sub the game after my 3 months is up.

Jahlon - There will be micro-transactions you have to conduct (inventory expansion, character expansions, etc.).

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Latest victim is ArcheAge. Since the start I have been trying to warn people that they should not pay any money to a game that they have not played. Obviously that didn't work because it never does. People have to get *beep* to learn. Anyhow here is the take down,

Trion first of all promoted ArcheAge as a F2P game since start again. Then it introduced,

• Subscriptions
  • Super-expensive founder's packs (some even paid allot more due to taxes) with "headstarts"
  • Cash shop in which,
NexG - Thank you! Of course real $$ should give its payers better benefits, just hoping it won't be uncontrolled or too imbalanced!

Scapes - That's the plan.

and finally we already know that not only for F2P players ArcheAge it will be unplayable (because of the small amount of labour points they will generate where LB is like oil) but because of the fact that cash shop will include pay-to-win stuff, that means that even the subscription players will be surpassed by "whales" or people spending more money than them.

In other words this is a hybrid between a subscription and a freemium but ultimately the more cash you throw into the cash shop, the more benefits you get.

Welcome to the world of "No traps, No tricks, No trials".

It is unbelievable how fucked up and disgusting these practices are where you have the publisher doing everything in its power to get cash from everyone and everything. My god this is unbelievable.

Comments

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    can you specify what types of items they will sell in their cash shop to make it P2W? Like an Epic Sword of Pwnage that cant be crafted ingame or extra attribute points, etc.?
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Stop the presses..a company wants to make money.

• I've read that you can purchase items that boost stats for a period of time. Is that correct?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

What's with this indignation. Pay a subscription or suffer the restrictions. I sincerely do not get these freeloaders who complain about  games whose payment system is completely optional. You choose to play how you wish and that decision is completely free. Tough that the company is trying to make money  but what do you expect ,everything for free is it . There are no hard and fast rules about what can be put in a game and it is f2p as long as you can live with the constraints.

Anything including experience boosts,mounts,expansion packs are considered p2w by the very broad terminology used these days to justify the crucification planned for companies that are merely trying to make money in this genre.

The game was always advertised with a sub model side by side with a the f2p as it is in Korea and Russia I think so I do not get what the other rant was about.

Chamber of Chains
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    can you specify what types of items they will sell in their cash shop to make it P2W? Like an Epic Sword of Pwnage that cant be crafted ingame or extra attribute points, etc.?

Most likely he can't, but the fact that you will have to subscribe just to be able to get the labor points that are needed makes the ftp side as being almost unplayable.

But, I wasn't looking at this game with the thought of ftp.  I had always believed until recently that it was subscription based.  Really didn't look into that since the game wasn't in beta yet and things could change.  So if it stands as is I still plan on giving it a shot as a sub based game, just can't justify spending money on an alpha stage.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

This is typical for this site. Hype the game up and as it gets close to release start to tear it down.

Nothing new...to be expected.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Its a AAA MMO project, doesnt surprise me at all.

In fact, I am playing it now but likely will not play it for more than a couple weeks.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• 0effort0effort Member Posts: 103

Latest Update,

Chryos - After dropping 150 for the game, and paying for a monthly subscription, do I have access to the full game? Or am I going to still have to spend more money via micro-transactions to buy extra features that should be included if you purchased the game?

I'll be pretty disappointed if my 150 and a monthly sub is not enough. That's my concern and will determine if I will sub the game after my 3 months is up.

Jahlon - There will be micro-transactions you have to conduct (inventory expansion, character expansions, etc.).

Originally posted by 0effort

Update

In case you don't realize there are quite a few MMOs out now that have you pay for character expansions and inventory expansions, so this isn't new and is kinda normal. 

FYI...GW2 & SWTOR to name 2 make you pay for both.

Again, not an issue, move along.

Originally posted by 0effort

Latest Update,

after having bought the gaming in a tired drunken haze after playing it for awhile it totally 'smelled' like they planned to exploit income in all ways known to man. I didnt have proof of it, it just 'felt' like it was coming.

I will say, I have no problem spending $150 on a good game. if it is indeed epic and if all the costs are upfront and honest.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Yeah, it's going to cost some money to play, but the 150 is entirely optional.

Now I'll agree,paying extra for storage space on top of a sub fee sort of blows, but I'm waiting to see how that finally pans out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    You're confusing what Pay to Win actually means.  P2W is when you buy power or items that are stronger then what can be acquired in the game through normal means.  Buying quality of life improvements or cosmetic features are not B2W no matter how much you want it to be.  You spent $150 to get early access to the game and to get a few items to boot. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Can't believe that, 150...they are crazy.

FFXIV isn't the best game, but at least they don't have that type of idiocy.

Originally posted by azzamasin
    You're confusing what Pay to Win actually means.  P2W is when you buy power or items that are stronger then what can be acquired in the game through normal means.  Buying quality of life improvements or cosmetic features are not B2W no matter how much you want it to be.  You spent $150 to get early access to the game and to get a few items to boot. 

paying for more storage space in this game is a pay to win aspect. So is labor points.

HOWEVER!...the price point does matter. So if the price point for labor points + storage space + subscription comes out to around $15 a month then is fine because that model is just designed to attract people who are not commited to the game because they want to try it out a bit. having said that, I would prefer a simple 30 day trial.

• Originally posted by SEANMCAD

paying for more storage space in this game is a pay to win aspect. So is labor points.

HOWEVER!...the price point does matter. So if the price point for labor points + storage space + subscription comes out to around $15 a month then is fine because that model is just designed to attract people who are not commited to the game because they want to try it out a bit. having said that, I would prefer a simple 30 day trial.

You seem to do the 30-day trials in a lot of games you review....

Originally posted by BlueTiger13
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

You seem to do the 30-day trials in a lot of games you review....

like what? this is actually the first MMO I have played that I am not that impressed with in about 6 years. but to be fair for those reading I dont try a lot

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    I kind of get what he's saying. It kind of defeats the purpose of having the sub model if your still being restricted even while subbed.  Just makes it, not really sure lol.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

There's no governing body who appointed a comission to define "pay2win".

It's just a word with ambiguity. For some people being abel to buy anything is pay 2 win, others don't mind if you get a large advantage in a game through a cash shop and they move their definition.

It's really silly to argue about what pay 2 win means, it means something else to everyone.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Just like the game isn't for players wanting a completely pve experience, maybe it's also not for cheapskates.

I would like to see better games made and if that means paying for them then fine. Let the cheap people who can only afford $15 a month keep getting their rehashed clones. If a game costs more and delivers more, then so be it.

I agree with this completely. However two items should be a requirement.

1. the game actually has to be better than standard.

2. there should not be 'hooks' making you think its less only to find out you have to pay for other items or tiers etc. Just give us the up front price if you game is good.

basically spend that effort making a good game then you dont have to be coy about charging. 

• Originally posted by CalmOceans

There's no governing body who appointed a comission to define "pay2win".

It's just a word with ambiguity. For some people being abel to buy anything is pay 2 win, others don't mind if you get a large advantage in a game through a cash shop and they move their definition.

It's really silly to argue about what pay 2 win means, it means something else to everyone.

I view P2W as having two things: being able to purchase something that somehow applies something additive to you in anyway, and the game needs to be F2P (and allow them icky *cough*  freeloaders.)

Now if a game is P2P and has a "P2W" shop it isn't "P2W" no matter if you can get uber sword of eliteness, since by default, you are paying to play.

I just don't understand the outrage over them saying you will pay for extra inventory?

I haven't even tried the game yet but that isn't even a factor.  Sorry but an increase in inventory size, while nice, is not pay2win.

I have still yet to be shown or found anything that is supposedly going to be in the store that will be a pay2win item.  So as far as I am concerned everyone is going off over nothing.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Just more of the same. Misinformation run a muck.

I did however find his views on playing games before you by them interesting.

"Since the start I have been trying to warn people that they should not pay any money to a game that they have not played. Obviously that didn't work because it never does. People have to get *beep* to learn."

This is the culture now. Everyone wants everything for free. Im old enough to remember having to buy or "RENT" a game before i played it.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    I see OP doesnt know what P2W is.
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

well you do have to pay for storage despite your sub in FF14 - something very important and they are making sure that crafters and others will cough up since housing doesn't offer useful storage

one of the straws on the broken camels back that is this game

• Originally posted by gatheris
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

well you do have to pay for storage despite your sub in FF14 - something very important and they are making sure that crafters and others will cough up since housing doesn't offer useful storage

one of the straws on the broken camels back that is this game

Tell us how you really feel. It took me a couple times to understand what you were saying lol.