Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Just How Much Has Changed for Launch? A Lot.

Comments

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Cruizerke
    Wait... So if all battle frames are now accessible without paying for them, then what about folks like me that paid for the new frames when they were introduced? Do we get screwed over?

No, you get the 5 base frame for free. What he meant is that you can buy every additional frame in the game through purely in-game means without every paying any money.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Hopefully it will be a complete game this time around. I still have red beans to spend that I haven't touched for over a year.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I really hate the character models

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I have been revisiting this game every 5 months or so.  I am excited to hear the open world pvp is back and it is finally reaching the release date!

I hope they do well, the game was definitely fun and refreshing.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

TL;DR version:   Planetside /w Jetpacks will balance its own criticisms by being intentionally unbalanceable just like WvW is and also by not having any Staff even attempting to do so.

The Author specifically mentions balancing Classes in PvP as being harder than balancing them in PvE.   Most people seem to think this way.   But meanwhile in GW2, most Structured players agree they achieved that despite expectations (by constricting PvP to  an extremely contrite format).  Yet almost half of the classes in that game are still a joke in PvE or atleast not nearly as efficient as they could be.    This is pretty much how we've seen a lot of "Frames" in FireFall despite countless rebalance attempts.   Infact as far as we've seen, there is no longer even anyone IN the class balancing/designer chair and they ceased all work on making new Frames  (just like GW2 hasn't so much as even HINTED yet at expanding or making new weapon bars/sets).  The last guy who was doing so, apparently Rage-Quit and it's hard to blame him.   All we have now are 10 different P.R. people spamming the forums with Reddit / 9gag "oh so cleverness" and no actual Devs posting anymore.   Strap in losers, it's not going to change for a long long time.   Infact they'll probably pull a HiRez and go work on a Moba/CoC next instead.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

One thing I do not like about the direction they took this game was dumbing down the different archetypes.  I tested this game in the original closed beta and it wasn't bad then the game was developed to be a PVP game and got turned into a PVE game.  The play style was fun but thumping got old after the 100th time.

I played a little in the open beta and they did add a lot of PVE content but over time it just lost my attention had no real feel of connection to the game. 

I wish them the best as I never like to see any game fail.  Hopefully the new direction will grab a larger niche and make a place for itself.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    I really hate the character models

The scrawny, oddly-shaped legs on the lighter armor suits really bothered me. It's like they design those suits from the waist up and from the waist down just use different textured tights. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144

I have been playing since open beta, so off and on for about 1 year.  One of the things that I really enjoyed up to now is the open world feel.  Most games today seem to go with what I call the "quest hub" feel.

Curious to see how all of the big changes for launch work out.  Some of it sounds great, but you never know until you play it for yourself.

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

Didn't know Firefall even existed until I read this article today. I only wish I had gotten into beta before July 8. For those who of us who did not and are new, have to buy Early Access Packs for tomorrow's early access patch 1.0 launch July 15 OR wait until July 29th. I'm trying to read and see all I can to determine if I want early access or to wait until the end of the month.

Looks like a fun game, love the idea of mount races, different classes that can be changed although I like the trinity idea. One thing missing from what I can see is, that there is NO HOUSING??

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    No housing or Guild (called Army in this game) housing either. I would read the path to launch blogs listed on there forum CandyCaneNJ to see everything that will be in the launch client.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I tried the beta several months back if not more than a year. Very forgettable at the time. Wildstar has zero interest from me but I will likely check this out to see the changes.

You stay sassy!

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I was one who left the game after realizing the initial vision of this game was never gonna happen. Hopefully James can take a lot of the good ideas this game has and really make something of it.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Before the trolls emerge from under their bridges I wanted to encourage everyone to give FireFall a chance shen it launches July 29th. I realize it has been in development a LONG time but the end result is truly a unique gameplay experience. Red5 has finally found focus and know exactly what they want FireFall to be. You have nothing to lose.

is it F2P cash shop?

• SlayblazeSlayblaze Member UncommonPosts: 24

Been a daily player since the day Open Beta launched, although the past few months I only logged in for the daily rewards, the upcoming launch has definitely renewed my interest in bringing FF back into my "main game" status that it held for about six months. A few of the things that eroded my love for the game was permanent item breakage and overly convoluted crafting design (through several different incarnations, all pretty bad) along with way too many different qualities of way too many resource types. ALL of these will thankfully be gone come launch day, with the addition of new areas and an OW PVP zone to boot.

If only I had a better PC to run the game on I'd be a true believer, but even on med/low settings the game still runs okay I guess.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by goboygo
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Before the trolls emerge from under their bridges I wanted to encourage everyone to give FireFall a chance shen it launches July 29th. I realize it has been in development a LONG time but the end result is truly a unique gameplay experience. Red5 has finally found focus and know exactly what they want FireFall to be. You have nothing to lose.

is it F2P cash shop?

Yes. F2P with shop. However it is not pay to win because all items are cosmetic or items like gliders. 

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Same game since 2010. Nothing to see here folks.
  • johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261
    They really need to do something a little extra for accounts who have actually bought some of their promotions over the last few years.  Yes you got xx red beans or founders pack or extra super duper founders champion titles or whatever....but now the game is launching, show some support for those that helped in $$ over the past few years while the game was still in beta.
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Some of the best combat in a MMO. Looking forward to playing version 1.0 tomorrow. 
  • lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

How is it now compared to Destiny (gameplay/content-wise)?

I don't have a problem with the graphic/art style.

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Krighton

You do realize Early Access with the huge 1.0 patch is today that changes the game? You know jack spit

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by CandyCaneNJ
    Originally posted by Krighton

You do realize Early Access with the huge 1.0 patch is today that changes the game? You know jack spit

You dont even have to mention the 1.0 patch.  image

Regardless of the 1.0 patch, they've changed the progression system and crafting completely 2 times in the last few years, so its in no way the same game except in the graphical department and most of the core mechanics.  

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Hopefully under this new direction the games takes off.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• TreephrogTreephrog Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Cruizerke
    Wait... So if all battle frames are now accessible without paying for them, then what about folks like me that paid for the new frames when they were introduced? Do we get screwed over?

All the frames have always been available without paying real money for them. There was one pack that included pilot tokens for all the frames, but that was not the only way to get them. When they were introduced you unlocked them by completing 2 of 3 branches of the battleframe tech tree of the base battleframes. Then it was changed to pilot tokens you accumulated while leveling other frames (which the system is sticking with). It has never been required to pay any money to unlock frames.

• KotowaruKotowaru Member UncommonPosts: 2
    i played this a bit over a year ago. 2 weeks after i started they ruined the chosen, which was the best part about the game. i won't and will not touch the stinky game ever again
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I'll be installing it. I enjoyed some of the earlier beta time. I didn't always like all the design zig-zags, but early adoption can be that way. Overall the game was a lot of fun and I liked the art style.

Same here but I didn't see it as a MMO or MMORPG even. It felt like a different type of multiplayer game with more emphasis on crafting then other 3rd person FPS multiplayer games. As such I enjoyed it.

Might return to see what has changed, tbh I didn't even know the game had PVP back when I played. I remember partially something about a zone we needed to thump certain resources to expand and with those resources you needed to "fuel" something in that the area and eventually would open up as a new region. Yet never made it that far or think it wasn't even working 100% back then. Any news on that if I made myself clear?