Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$29.99? Wasn't this game a flop?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

I thought I'd give TSW a try, but it seems that you still have to buy the base game for $29.99 to play.  Wasn't this game a flop?  I would have thought that they'd allow free access to try it out by now, with maybe a cash shop and the option for a monthly sub.

Is there a free trial?

Thanks!

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    It went from subscription to buy to play. You can easily purchase it for $9-10.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Yeah, you're going to have to pay money to see if it is a flop.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

How do you define a MMO which was never trying to outsell games like WOW a flop?

Its still up and running, got a healthy population and get regular content updates. So how exactly you define a flop in terms of MMO like TSW which was always trying to be a niche MMO?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

An old article, but apparently TSW did not live up to Funcom's expectations:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1561886/the_secret_world_flops_funcom_focusing_on_smaller_projects.html

"Funcom has now said it will concentrate its attentions on "smaller, more focused online games" after confirming its belief that The Secret World will sell less than half what they forecast for launch year, with plans to layoff around half its employees."

Did the game make an amazing comeback?  I'm not that familiar with its history.

It's history is that if you want to play it you'll have to buy it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    An old article, but apparently TSW did not live up to Funcom's expectations: http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1561886/the_secret_world_flops_funcom_focusing_on_smaller_projects.html "Funcom has now said it will concentrate its attentions on "smaller, more focused online games" after confirming its belief that The Secret World will sell less than half what they forecast for launch year, with plans to layoff around half its employees." Did the game make an amazing comeback?  I'm not that familiar with its history.

The problem with the article is they do not provide any source...

Originally posted by Soandsoso

An old article, but apparently TSW did not live up to Funcom's expectations:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1561886/the_secret_world_flops_funcom_focusing_on_smaller_projects.html

"Funcom has now said it will concentrate its attentions on "smaller, more focused online games" after confirming its belief that The Secret World will sell less than half what they forecast for launch year, with plans to layoff around half its employees."

Did the game make an amazing comeback?  I'm not that familiar with its history.

[mod edit]

I'm not trolling.  I'm surprised that you have to pay $29.99 to try this game.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just thinking that this is a high barrier to entry for a game that did not perform as expected.

http://www.funcom.com/investors/the_secret_world_update

Following the launch of The Secret World on the 3rd of July 2012, Funcom's share price has decreased significantly. The company attributes this mostly to the aggregate review score, the "Metascore", for the game at MetaCritic (www.metacritic.com) together with other public sources for tracking the performance of games.

While there are very positive reviews, there are as well mixed or average reviews from various press outlets, giving an aggregated score for The Secret World of 72 out of 100, which is to be considered low, and not in line with the positive feedback received during the beta phases from both press and players.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Love people who think games are flops because they didn't reach WoWs sub numbers...
  • NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

There are 3-day buddy keys, which turn into five days if you complete a certain number of quests. 50? 30? I really don't remember.

I'm not going to say it's a flop, or not a flop. I'll simply say I thought it was a solid game with a better premise than most. Not great, but certainly one of the better themepark experiences around for my tastes.

With all that said.. I played my five days and decided it wasn't worth purchasing. While "good" by today's standards it still wasn't good enough for me to play it over random games in various genres, or continue to look for a "home". But your experience and opinion may vary.

- Nellus

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

TSW is an amazing game. Only problem it had was the fact it involved quests that required people to engage the brain...and it seems not many gamers like doing that....

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Yeah its a flop, its got big fat floppy titties bro, games pretty tight. Its worth 30 but goes on sale a lot. Shop around.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

The dark days are coming hype train built it up as funcom's great comeback, but it's definitely not made for the masses. Despite that, it manages to retain a fiercely loyal core playerbase and you can jump between servers so population isn't so much a problem as it once was. 

Honestly, if the combat wasn't such a chore I'd probably play it a lot more. Still has some of the best story of any game I've experienced.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897
    ya it should be cheaper, but best buy has it for $8.99 and gameholds.com has it for 10 bux, both more than fair prices

I believe we're done here.  The OP wanted to play a 'flop' of a game but not pay $30 for it. It's been given 2 other options available to play that game. 
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

TSW is a pretty damn good game, however it's one of them type of games you gotta be in the mood for.

If your looking to take a break from high fantasy pixel color steam punk Asian theme park mmo's, this game is your ticket image

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-the-secret-world-298#pc

I see it for as low as $9.43.

I bought a copy for a friend in 2012 for $15.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

I thought I'd give TSW a try, but it seems that you still have to buy the base game for $29.99 to play.  Wasn't this game a flop?  I would have thought that they'd allow free access to try it out by now, with maybe a cash shop and the option for a monthly sub.

Is there a free trial?

Thanks!

Just yesterday there were some additions to the 3-day buddy key free trial post.  I'm sure there's still some valid keys left.  Go check it out.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

TSW is a great game and a steal at 29.99, but you can easily catch it on sale all the time. The quest lines are engaging and thought provoking, unlike most games released today. I've heard numerous complaints about combat, though I thought it was fine. The setting/theme of the game is one of a kind in the mmo genre.

Find it cheap and challenge yourself....you might just enjoy the challenge.

• Acidon.NumenAcidon.Numen Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Slackker

There are 3-day buddy keys, which turn into five days if you complete a certain number of quests. 50? 30? I really don't remember.

30 quests.

Anyone who wants a buddy key, just PM me an email address.  I'll have their automated system send you a key to whatever email address you provide.

Please Note: I'm done arguing with unreasonable people with an agenda and/or those that fail to see logic.

Argue if you must, discount my post with anti-logic and/or Hyperbole. I won't be responding any longer.

Originally posted by Grunty
    I believe we're done here.  The OP wanted to play a 'flop' of a game but not pay $30 for it. It's been given 2 other options available to play that game. 

I may enjoy the hell out of the game, I don't know.  I never said that the game wasn't fun to a lot of people, just that it was a commercial flop.  I (and I'm sure others) would like to give it a try.  And that's where I found the $29.99 buy-in on the official site and Steam to be off-putting.  I wasn't aware of the other options and I appreciate the info.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Acidon.Numen
    Originally posted by Slackker

30 quests.

Anyone who wants a buddy key, just PM me an email address.  I'll have their automated system send you a key to whatever email address you provide.

Plus you also get 1200 or 1500 points to spend in the game store. That's enough for a costume, or a few clothing items, or a DLC pack if you decide to keep playing. I consider issue 5 (Tyler Freeborn) a bit meh, but issue 6 (Last Train to Cairo) is a good one.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Soandsoso
    [mod edit]

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just thinking that this is a high barrier to entry for a game that did not perform as expected.

$60 dollars is a high entry for a game that did not perform as expected like TSW, not $30. Actually $30 is not a bad price for that game. I would pay $30 for TSW anyday instead of $60 for call of duty (thats just an example of whats worth my money).

WIth that said, both steam and amazon offer the game retardedly cheap every time they go on a sale rampage. If you dont want to pay $30, just have some patience, another massive sale will eventually show up. Or even better, you can wait for a sale on the massive edition which i believe comes with some dlc too.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Still very happy to have purchased the lifetime TSW account. One of the best mmos around for deep story, environmental graphics, classless character building, roleplay and a very passionate playerbase.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    I say avoid the game because you already have a preconceived notion of it and will just look for anything to reinforce that.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".