Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will ESO devs say at QuakeCon?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

According to Zeni, the devs will be discussing community feedback on ESO at this year's QuakeCon. They will address:

• VR content
  • end-game progression
  • gameplay options
  • itemization

What do you think they will say? Any predictions for ESO's future direction?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1068014#Comment_1068014

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Thanks for telling me this I did not know about it.
  • Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

Based on past performance, I have to believe they'll tap-dance around the greater issues and put a positive spin on everything, diverting attention to the smaller issues.

That's what all of these companies do.  To a large extent, they have no choice.

Once the engine is built and key functionality is added in, it's a real bitch to change anything substantial.  Early design decisions always come back to haunt a development team.  Adding and modifying quests, mobs, dungeons and such are "trivial matters" in comparison, requiring "only" the addition of scripts, state variables, sound, and graphics, but modifying core functionality -- which is where the real problems in ESO lie -- is a bitch because its effects are pervasive throughout the code.  You can't just tweak core functionality.

Irrespective of whatever plans they have for modifying/fixing core functionality, they're not going to talk to it at QuakeCon because development schedules for that sort of thing are too fluid.  In the damage control mode they're in, they'll be talking about things they can be relatively sure about... and that means smaller issues.

Remember, the marketers are in charge.  The whole purpose of QuakeCon and other goat-ropes is marketing.

"Yes, the engine on this new car sputters and backfires, but we're going to fix that and it'll be the hottest Wankel on the road!  Trust us!  But, did you notice the shiny paint job?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Nothing, they're still in denial.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    reminder, Quakecon is this week  07/17 - 07/20
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    sounds like the invested in the wrong VR.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• laz3rNach0zlaz3rNach0z Member Posts: 59
    when was the last time we seen a good quake games tho
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Probably will be a usual presentation. They will address the issues ESO has, sing it's praises for what worked, and address what didn't work with what they plan to do.

Honestly right now my guild and I are quite happy with the state of the game, so any information released is just a bonus for me at this point.

I wonder if someone will get the cajones to dare to ask them about the stolen Oculus tech. That would be entertaining, and I'd like to know a little bit more info about how he got away with the project information, if he even did steal it. But that being another topic entirely, I'll be quite happy with whatever announcements they make regarding ESO. Hats off to ZOS for such a great game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Probably will be a usual presentation. They will address the issues ESO has, sing it's praises for what worked, and address what didn't work with what they plan to do.

Honestly right now my guild and I are quite happy with the state of the game, so any information released is just a bonus for me at this point.

I wonder if someone will get the cajones to dare to ask them about the stolen Oculus tech. That would be entertaining, and I'd like to know a little bit more info about how he got away with the project information, if he even did steal it. But that being another topic entirely, I'll be quite happy with whatever announcements they make regarding ESO. Hats off to ZOS for such a great game.

The upcoming stuff like new gear sets, dye are just icing on the cake atm. I am excited about the Imperial City news though. Expanding Cyrodiil can only add to the awesomeness. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

The upcoming stuff like new gear sets, dye are just icing on the cake atm. I am excited about the Imperial City news though. Expanding Cyrodiil can only add to the awesomeness. 

Agreed. Really pleased with ZoS pace of releasing new content and patches so far as well.

• laz3rNach0zlaz3rNach0z Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by bcbully
    Probably will be a usual presentation. They will address the issues ESO has, sing it's praises for what worked, and address what didn't work with what they plan to do. Honestly right now my guild and I are quite happy with the state of the game, so any information released is just a bonus for me at this point.   I wonder if someone will get the cajones to dare to ask them about the stolen Oculus tech. That would be entertaining, and I'd like to know a little bit more info about how he got away with the project information, if he even did steal it. But that being another topic entirely, I'll be quite happy with whatever announcements they make regarding ESO. Hats off to ZOS for such a great game.

Agreed. Really pleased with ZoS pace of releasing new content and patches so far as well.

i want more combos and seige weapons but im not to picky right now things are awesome with pvp massive combat and now i get dye for armor sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
  • ValatheusValatheus Member UncommonPosts: 30

They probably won't say much more than what Paul Sage already covered in his Q&A with Elder Scrolls Off the Record. Look it up if you're itching for a lot of good information.

He did mention specifically that they'll be announcing the next one or two new zones at Quakecon, and revealing more about the upcoming justice system.

I personally would love to hear a bit about the Imperial City dungeon that the pvp team is working on. My DAoC vet guild has been eagerly waiting for the Imperial "Darkness Falls 2.0" for a while now.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Got to agree with others who can't see them doing much beyond praising the game, telling folks how they are working round the clock to make it better, say they have lots of great plans for the future but limit what they say to what they have already announced plus a few extra details. Got to give QuakeCon something after all.

Will they say anything more about the release date? (Edit: console release). Delayed; then 6 month delay; most recently working around the clock, 2014 the target but not guaranteed. 2 months on? Or will it still be, in Paul Sage's words "foolish to guarantee anything" (Having gotten to within a month of the console launch date not sure how they can look anymore foolish.)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Got to agree with others who can't see them doing much beyond praising the game, telling folks how they are working round the clock to make it better, say they have lots of great plans for the future but limit what they say to what they have already announced plus a few extra details. Got to give QuakeCon something after all.

Will they say anything more about the release date? Delayed; then 6 month delay; most recently working around the clock, 2014 the target but not guaranteed. 2 months on? Or will it still be, in Paul Sage's words "foolish to guarantee anything" (Having gotten to within a month of the console launch date not sure how they can look anymore foolish.)

if any of imply that something is technically to demanding to pull off let me know so I can go down there and smack them 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• wuhsin88wuhsin88 Member Posts: 70
    If the first two words are anything other than "We're sorry..." it's going to be hard for me to take them seriously. An apology for all the TES fans let down by this game is long overdue. When they get that apology out of the way, I'll believe they are working to make the game better. Until then, I'm confident that nothing significant will change...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The solution to everything...the apology. You will of course know from the news that an apology solves everything. Lessons will be learned and a line drawn under the issue as we move forward, better together. :)

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by wuhsin88
    If the first two words are anything other than "We're sorry..." it's going to be hard for me to take them seriously. An apology for all the TES fans let down by this game is long overdue. When they get that apology out of the way, I'll believe they are working to make the game better. Until then, I'm confident that nothing significant will change...

Funny, I really don't think they have anything to apologize.  I have had a lot of fun with the game.  I'm guessing I'm not alone here on this.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    They could set up a giant dunk tank and sell balls to attendees to dunk the developers with... they could call it their cash shop discussion roundtable.
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by wuhsin88

Funny, I really don't think they have anything to apologize.  I have had a lot of fun with the game.  I'm guessing I'm not alone here on this.

You aren't alone, they have nothing to apologize for, they delivered exactly what was promised, some people just didn't like the promise apparently.