Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: Just How Much Has Changed for Launch? A Lot.

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

If your first reaction to reading the title of this article was, “Wait, Firefall hasn’t been released yet?” I don’t think anyone would blame you. Originally announced way back in 2010, this MMO shooter has been struggling for the past few years to finally grasp hold of its original vision. From the overly convoluted original progression system, to a hampered PvP mode, nearly all facets of the game have undergone extreme renovations in the past couple years.

Read more of David Jagneaux's Firefall: Just How Much Has Changed for Launch? A Lot.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Before the trolls emerge from under their bridges I wanted to encourage everyone to give FireFall a chance shen it launches July 29th. I realize it has been in development a LONG time but the end result is truly a unique gameplay experience. Red5 has finally found focus and know exactly what they want FireFall to be. You have nothing to lose.
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    I'll probably give it another try. I'd forgotten all about it. I still have the launcher installed from January 2012, 2 1/2 years ago.
  • BaxslashBaxslash Member UncommonPosts: 237

They are down until 1 pm EST Tuesday for a major patch, then I'll be able to take a big look at a good portion of the new content to be introduced, including a major increase to the New Eden enviroment area, and, other locations. New designing to the Battleframes, and, how they plan to do the crafting.

Older MMo's have forgotten a great deal on what really makes gaming Fun nowadays, Basically all the major studios think players only want to jump in for a few hours, hack and slash, or, fight something, then, jump to another game. BUT!!, especially with crafting, dumbing down, has killed me for a major portion of my gaming, I'm not a WOW fan, nor, do I like the fact that you place Material A plus Material B in mixer, and you get something out that covers 10 different stats. I loved how Anarchy Online tested your mind, on getting armours, weapons, on, or, cybers, in. made for one heck of a challenge. Other games, like, Eve, made you think of the types of ship builds you wanted to work with. Other games start out with wonderful ideas on challenge players, but, in the end, they are so eager to run to the dumber is faster quotion marker.

R5 seems to want to stick with a good unique system, hopefully they won't dumb down the game after 2 or 3 years, all because someone can't understand how 1+1=2.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Guess i'll give the game another chance.
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

"His favorite two were spitting giant fireballs/rocks at hurling them at players – something almost assuredly could one-shit anybody"

Should probably reread and revise your articles before posting them (or get someone else to). That's two in one sentence, I ignored the rest.

Aside from that, I will likely go back to Firefall to try it out at launch or a little after launch once things settle down. The current direction it's taking may be far different from several iterations, overhauls and "promises" they made but personally, I don't care much. Imo it's probably for the better, the game wasn't that fun after a while especially as they began to focus more and more on resources and gathering them.

I heard they will wipe the game, or resources before launch. Is this true?

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Before the fanbois blow the trumpets, my best advice is to stay away from this game. I cannot give more details, I used to be a founder of this game, like I said I cannot give more details because I would be banned, like everytime you post a bad review you get banned here on this site.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• MaliMirkoMaliMirko Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    Before the fanbois blow the trumpets, my best advice is to stay away from this game. I cannot give more details, I used to be a founder of this game, like I said I cannot give more details because I would be banned, like everytime you post a bad review you get banned here on this site.

:D

B)  "War. War never changes!"

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    If you got banned for saying negative things about a game on this site most of the people wouldn't be here anymore. LOL!

Where have you been? The comments here are 90% hate.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

they screwed the buzz pooch on this nd ps2 does it much better

so say we all

• Snippet60Snippet60 Member UncommonPosts: 20

I mean, no fanboi here, but isn't the whole article about how they struggled over the past four years but are now on track and made a great game for launch?  And your point is that once upon a time you didn't like it so we need to stay away?   Hell, I want to try the game in spite of you now....

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Seems a little bit late to an overcrowded party. I may give it a shot, but none of these MMOFPS games look enticing really from a gameplay/community standpoint. They don't have anything that stands out, and after playing Destiny/Defiant a little bit, I can honestly say I'm not impressed with the new turn on FPS games so far.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    If this game delivers it will be my main game. a mix of fps and mmo..heck yeah fps is the only reall pvp to me and adding an mmo setting is very cool to me. I logged in last night to see if anything would happen before shutdown and devs showed up spawning all kinds of events. It was a blast taking on the chosen in towns and cities. So many players were on. Walking down a road at night in this game is spooky because night is dark and suddenly a event happened and i was face to face with some giant bug with babies it freaked me out. I died respawned and went back and it was still there but i was ready this time and got great reward for taking it out along with future voiced over info about these incounters happening so be ready. That was very cool to me. And finally real fps pvp in a mmo. I could do that all day. It is so much fun. Made me realize how much i missed playing tribes.
  • LarvanaLarvana Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2

Oh Geezus, really? lol

Well let's see you have bad experience so it means people should "stay away" right? people should be able to decide if they want to play or not.

... since when do you get "banned" for posting negative, either you have something to say or you don't lol.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Dude, not a 'fan boi' but do think it is a fun game that deserves a chance. You make a bunch of vague statement disparaging FireFall then hide behind the faux threat of being banned .I visit R5 forums quite often and have read comments denouncing the game for various reasons of which the posters were quite specific. 

FireFall is a fun MMOFPS with a unique lore and setting. Some of it is dated because the technology behind it is getting a bit long in the tooth. However that does not stop it from being a good game .I never make post here defending any game but wanted FF to be given a chance to succeed because I personally feel there is nothing out there like it. R5 had leadership issues that slowed development to a crawl but the ideas conceived from that time are still rock solid. 

Anyway I suggest you go to the R5 forums and post your issues. Assuming you are not abusive and are instead constructive I will be surprised if you get banned. 

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394
    Originally posted by Snippet60

I mean, no fanboi here, but isn't the whole article about how they struggled over the past four years but are now on track and made a great game for launch?  And your point is that once upon a time you didn't like it so we need to stay away?   Hell, I want to try the game in spite of you now....

I have an account that is 3 years old and i been there through all the changes.

----

The game always was incredible fun to play because it is fast paced, fantastic looking graphics and has a solid crafting and upgrade system with vertical and horizontal progression.

----

I am looking forward to the launch on Tuesday. Happy Thumping!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Before the trolls emerge from under their bridges I wanted to encourage everyone to give FireFall a chance shen it launches July 29th. I realize it has been in development a LONG time but the end result is truly a unique gameplay experience. Red5 has finally found focus and know exactly what they want FireFall to be. You have nothing to lose.

You lost ALL credibility with your 1st 4 words. If you really want to advise players to try this game, don't open with a negative statement like that, I really does scream "I'm a Fanboi"

Although to be fair, I do agree with some of your other statements in the thread.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I have always liked the concept and feel of the game.  What kept me away:

1) extreme lack of content - ARES frequently were completed long before I could reach them, and the only other activity people seemed engaged in was, killing tornados, which amounted to shooting flying rocks so you could get resources or thumping for resources, which leads to my next point.

2) Complex and neccisary crafting systems - I could wrap my head around EvE's systems, but for some reason FF's system seemed overly convoluted, tedious, and just a turn off.  This also really seemed like the ONLY way to progress a character, and since im mostly a progression minded player, it killed the game for me.  I also, couldnt even comprehend as to why they added that many different resouce qualities to the game, I guess for customization, but at some point choices and RNG just overwhelm and intimidate.

Looking forward to checking out whats changed, especially the ARES missions and leveling.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

When this game first went into Alpha, even  before that you could buy a lifetime membership.  I was one of the first to do so. The game in the beginning while alpha na closed beta was fun as heck, you had  different battle suits to choose, we had fun dropping thumpers and killing mobs, it was fun, real fun. One day the CEO decided to change the whole thing, the whole game was scrapped and rebuild without taking in consideration the comments of all the founders who oppose to these changes by a huge vast majority. Many were banned, even moderators of the game were threatened by the developers so they quit,  no named  need to be mentioned, the founders know whom I am talking about, so please dont  go even there. They added the damage to your equipment and a new crafting system where you need millions of ore to do the smallest things. Whatever play it if you like it.

I hope the game does well under the new leadership.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'm also a founder logging tons of hours of fun playing Firefall. I eventually lost interest in the game along the way with the slew of the changes under Kern's rath. Regardless, the game has tons of potential and under this new leadership IMO definitely worth checking out at launch.

Everything sounds great looking forward to launch!

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Gonna give it a try when I actually get a PC...laptop's dead Jim :(

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Ah, what the Hell. There isn't really a good MMO shooter out there (I find that PS2 almost always devolves into spawn camping or being spawn camped), so this had me at "tripling the content." I'll give it another shot.
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

I played this back in dec 2012 and I have to say it was nice to look at, and controls were good but you had the "chosen" spawning in random places and never really knew what to do other then kill the chosen that continuously spawned.  It got to the point where you wouldn't leave the base you were at cause they were spawning so much.

There have definitely been issues in the past like I just mentioned, but I will give the game another go.  Maybe not right at launch but near it, it was entertaining to play but got old real quick.  I look forward to giving this new re-working a go and see if it has actually gotten better or if it has new bugs that are even more annoying.

In either case, I'm glad it is finally launching.

• CruizerkeCruizerke Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Wait... So if all battle frames are now accessible without paying for them, then what about folks like me that paid for the new frames when they were introduced? Do we get screwed over?
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Cruizerke
    Wait... So if all battle frames are now accessible without paying for them, then what about folks like me that paid for the new frames when they were introduced? Do we get screwed over?

C'est la vie

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Cruizerke

Maybe they meant that you had the 'potential' to access all frames without paying a cent.  That being said, the only T2 I unlocked were Recluse, before the tech trees were removed and Bastion with pilot tokens.