Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is amazing

fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I picked this game a few days ago for like £7 because I thought that I wouldn't care even if I switched off the game after an hour.

So I started playing this game and I am just amazed at how awesome it is. I love the graphical interface and I find the world beautiful. I am way more impressed with the graphics of this game compared to other recent MMOs.

However, what pleasantly surprised me was how much there is to do in this game. There are story quests, random side quests, class quests (I missed those so much from previous MMOs) and all these different types of logs with stuff to do - class logs, crafting/gathering logs etc. 

The class system is just pure awesomeness! You can level up every class/profession/gathering profession on one character. Why other MMOs don't do this is beyond me. It's just too cool. It gives you tons of stuff to do if you want mix things up. 

Of course, I am not sure what the endgame will be like but I don't really care. I usually leave shortly after doing the regular dungeons/levelling thing. Although this game has some endgame stuff which sound really interesting but time will tell.

Anyways I would recommend this game to anyone looking for a fun pve game. The class system is just amazing. This is coming from someone who has never played a final fantasy game before. I just randomly picked it after I saw it for £7.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Comments

• HaritsukeHaritsuke Member UncommonPosts: 18

You have listed a lot of the strengths of FFXIV and I do think it may be the best themepark MMO out there right now.  The game is not without its downsides for me (the combat seems slow and the synergy of abilities is uninteresting compared to WoW and SWTOR and there is little to no character customization within the classes - i.e. no skill trees or talent points).   But the rate at which they release new content and the beauty of the world are so strong that the game keeps pulling me back.  

If I would just commit and find a good guild, FFXIV would be a place to call home for a long time.  But I'm just not quite ready to do that yet and just play off and on when a new patch hits.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    please say how awesome the game is after your first 30 days are up....
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Albatroes

Agreed completely.  The "strengths" of the game listed in the OP are the same systems and content offered by the vast majority of themepark games.

In short, there's really very little in the game that makes it special.  It's more of the same.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354

I beg to differ. the game is amazing before and after 30 days, I came back after quitting a while and can not have time to do what I want each day because there are many things to do. and in terms of PvP, frontlines is actually really good and very much enjoyable , not to mention there are now more horizental progression then before where it was purely vertical. I think once the next patch hits, the game will be 90% complete, and upon expansion it will be 100% once golden saucer and double amount of content released.

TLDR? well even if other theme park MMOs have some elements of FFXIV, the latter knew how to make it with such tuning and quality that puts other MMOs to shame.

• FeralLokiFeralLoki Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I doubt he will last 30 days, my biggest problem with this game is the slow combat system, its just horrible imo and not to mention the character graphics and the gear looks is just so bad. But thats just my opinion, if you like it, good for you.
    Originally posted by FeralLoki
    I doubt he will last 30 days, my biggest problem with this game is the slow combat system, its just horrible imo and not to mention the character graphics and the gear looks is just so bad. But thats just my opinion, if you like it, good for you.

I bet you quit before you hit the end game content, because the combat is definitely not slow by any means. You will get more off GCD skills that you need to weave it in, and in pvp you get even 5 more pvp skills in each class that you also need to weave it in, ie, its instant skills with 0 CD if you play it correctly. the end raids, I bet you it needs better reaction and skill then most of the raids you have played in other MMOs.

In terms of gear or character graphics, well thats your opinion afterall :P

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I had my fun in the game for the first 2 months with my coworker's, but it comes down to the term theme park. Once the ride is over, it's over. My experience with that game came down to a lot of crafting and soon burnt out, but may retry it again on the PS4 for a different experience.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

10 months later and those strengths are still there. What's the point of your comment? To bait the op into a fight or just trying to upset somebody who is excited?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

I had my fun in the game for the first 2 months with my coworker's, but it comes down to the term theme park. Once the ride is over, it's over. My experience with that game came down to a lot of crafting and soon burnt out, but may retry it again on the PS4 for a different experience.

Pretty much this ^.

FFXIV is probably one of the better themeparks out of the most recent batch, but it is very much a themepark. There's limited content, and the entire game is based around completing said content. Once that's over, it's pretty much just RPing with your lalafriends and maybe trying out other jobs, if you haven't done that already.

There's daily grinds & such u can also do, if that's your thing.

Personally I enjoyed it for what it was, but the game (ihmo) is just too simple to keep me playing. It's basically a gorgeous game with very simplified gameplay. But hey, that's what sells.

Originally posted by FeralLoki

Why won't he last 30 day's? He said he picked up the game day's ago so he's been playing for a minute now. He also stated that he loved the graphics. So, why are you putting down something he like's just because you don't like it?

He's having fun and that's all that counts.

Can nobody on this site be supportive and say, "Cool dude, I'm glad you found a game you really like, I hope you have fun". ?

Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by IMPYRE I had my fun in the game for the first 2 months with my coworker's, but it comes down to the term theme park. Once the ride is over, it's over. My experience with that game came down to a lot of crafting and soon burnt out, but may retry it again on the PS4 for a different experience.
    Pretty much this ^.

FFXIV is probably one of the better themeparks out of the most recent batch, but it is very much a themepark. There's limited content, and the entire game is based around completing said content. Once that's over, it's pretty much just RPing with your lalafriends and maybe trying out other jobs, if you haven't done that already.

There's daily grinds & such u can also do, if that's your thing.

Personally I enjoyed it for what it was, but the game (ihmo) is just too simple to keep me playing. It's basically a gorgeous game with very simplified gameplay. But hey, that's what sells.

All that limited content......Guess that's why they added all this : Patch 2.3
    I mean it's only more content in 10 months than any other game at 10 months of their existence.

SWTOR has been out almost 3 years and has only a quarter of half of a half of content FF XIV ARR has.

Try again. At least WE get more main story and not just re-done dungeons in hard and nightmare.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The biggest problem you will run into with this game eventually is finding a good guild willing to take nubs in and run content with them. What you don't want to do is pug through the dungeon finder in end game because you will be met by tons of elitists that expect you to study youtube videos before doing them. I hate that about these end game raiding MMO's we are plagued by these days. Used to be about having fun, now it is just speed runs.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Been playing FFXIV off and on since re-launch. It's the best MMO out at the moment, and I'll continue to play it for a while to come.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Amazingly average WoW clone.

You can do quests, and quests, and quests, and quests!

so much trolls in this thread XD , or people that makes their own review based on outdated content and probably never hit 50.

Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang
    so much trolls in this thread XD , or people that makes their own review based on outdated content and probably never hit 50.

Pretty much. You just summed this thread up ! Guess now we know why the op has not came back to respond. Afraid of the hate. I don't blame them.

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95

This type of shit only works when the game first launches. You can't use this against a game that's been out for almost a year and is still growing. It makes you look desperate. I've been playing since beta and the game is still great. The content patches are amazing

• GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

AKA: almost every RPG ever made since DnD. What Final Fantasy game doesn't have quests?

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    You honestly dont quest THAT much in this game compared to others since you're leveling classes on the same toon. The main problem is the end game content isn't really worth the collective hassle. Fights are ok for the first clear depend on the fight, but gets old fast since the "raid" environment is pretty concentrated, meaning most raids are 8 person. Locking it to such a low number isn't really a good idea. Being able to play all classes on a single character has its own draw backs since everyone wants to be a guild leader but there's already anyone to join. Only thing to really counter that is linkshells, so if you can get a decent one or 8, more power to you.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Unsure if most people commenting on there being nothing to do are even playing currently.  I can't find enough time in the day to do even a quarter of what there is to do in patch 2.3 (and all subsequent patched) with all the system upgrades, updates and new implementations.  I don't even raid or do extreme fights or anything as I'm pretty much crafting and story oriented.  In fact, I don't even think that I've started anything that was released in 2.3 yet -- just way behind on my list of things to do in addition to keeping up with gathering and crafting.

Just goes to show you that there are still people in the world that will try to argue the world is still flat, just because at one point people believed such; knowledge and things definitely aren't added or improved upon given time.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321

This is by far the highest quality MMO on the market, but I fell in love with FFXI a long time ago. I left 2 months after release because of the combat. Made it to BC turn 4 and we were close to getting to the 5th turn and I walked away. I thought the combat was too spammy / fast and lacked substance. For example in order for an archer / ranger to poison an enemy in FFXI they had to make poison arrows or bolts (and usually you left that job to the RDM or BLM), not have a skill for it..

I'm happy for anyone that enjoys it because I love SE, but I was spoiled rotten from FFXI.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    My favorite themepark game easily. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Lebros89Lebros89 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Lol, YoshiP. You almost had me going for a minute there.. Clever post you succubus.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Its still pretty awsome after 30 days

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Gravehill
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

AKA: almost every RPG ever made since DnD. What Final Fantasy game doesn't have quests?

NOPE. DnD isn't about grinding linear scripted instanced quests. It's about open ended adventures. The opposite of what FF14 does.

You know what MMOs didn't involve quest grinding? The non themepark pre WoW clone era MMOs.