Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: When Two Lives Intersect

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I tell you about the awe-inspiring and terrifying power of connectedness to others because someone told me a tale that remindedly deeply of how the bonds that tie us together can also be the very one that break us entirely. This is the tale of a young woman named Edda, her adventuring band, and the severed head she carried in a box after our first fateful meeting.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s Final Fantasy XIV: Eorzea - When Two Lives Intersect.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    This is by far the best mmo out. FF XIV ARR is #1.
  • TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I have recently come back after stopping a few months after launch. Indeed it IS one of the best MMO's ever, and I am having a great time. There is so much to do, and the way they keep adding content is fantastic. I can't wait to see where they go with this game.
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Great mmorpg for sure! Still having an absolute blast in it almost every night. 
  • koira1koira1 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I love it how Edda laughs and cries during the encounter in the dungeon, to add to the atmosphere of the place.. and in the end of Tam Tara HM your character doesnt do the usual /joy /cheer victory pose, but instead just closes his/her eyes and looks downward with a sad expression with no music, just nothing but silence.. forever carving Edda's and Avere's journey to my memory as one of the creepiest/saddest (in a good way) dungeons i have done in ages.

Poor Edda and Avere, may you find some manner of peace in the Void...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I felt sorry for their party when I first overheard their exchange after the failed dungeon run. It was always in the back of my mind what came of the remaining members as I continued on my journey. So imagine my surprise when there was a quest introduced to continue to learn their fates. It's like FFXIV is not just tacking on more and more quest, but actually taking what they already have and expanding on a already deep npc story/lore that you can explore as you progress.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Awesome game got new awesome content update. I'm happy, too much to do with new update..
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I'm going to make someone jealous, I just started playing FFARR 2 weeks ago, loving it so far as well.
  • Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    This is probably one of the only bigger MMO's that I haven't tried. I've been on the fence because I hear nothing but good things about it but I've never liked Final Fantasy or anime. But if the game itself is good enough, I might be able to move past the art direction.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Great game no doubt but Wildstar is a better game IMO, ARR has a better story but raids, PvP and combat are better in Wildstar

Mystery Bounty

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Originally posted by MysteryB
    Great game no doubt but Wildstar is a better game IMO, ARR has a better story but raids, PvP and combat are better in Wildstar

Depends on your taste.

Not into PvP so can't comment on that but i prefer ARR's slower combat and dungeons over Wildstars.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

I like Wildstar and Final Fantasy both, but in honest I am mor ein love with FF. Its a game that has immersion and depth to it which feels nice and gets me invested into it no matter what I do. Wildstar, is more a consumption based product. Lots of attractions to see, lots of things executed very well but not a lot of "soul" in it. 

Which, I suppose is iconic considering one game is fantasy and the game without soul is science fiction. In all, I earn an income where I play both. I also play TSW as well :)

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I already did the quest and dungeon a few times, but shouldn't this article be marked with a "spoiler" tag in the title in order to not ruin the story for others?
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by kairel182
    Originally posted by Xerenix

Depends on your taste.

Not into PvP so can't comment on that but i prefer ARR's slower combat and dungeons over Wildstars.

Coming to this site makes me question if I've even played either of these games previously full well knowing I have.  A month of FFXIV was enough to make me realize it was completely soulless with no world to speak of.  And Wildstar... there is nothing I can stand about that, combat, graphics, content etc...

Beginning to wonder if a company will ever make something unique or at the very least bring back legitimate MMO values...

While I can understand or even sympathize with some people's initial impressions of most things... There were also many people who played it very briefly, or at the start that genuinely believe that MMOs have nothing further to offer than the first few levels of play or that they don't improve dramatically over time.  FFXIV is one of the only games in recent memory that has been so popular that it has increased the amount of servers it needed almost eight months after release.  In addition to that, the tremendous amounts of content and system updates / upgrades and new systems implemented into the game with each patch update (even the .1 ones) has been a breath of fresh air overall.

There is genuinely too much to do in this game and I find myself falling behind repeatedly, with only being able to do a third of what I planned, if that, for the day.  This game has a lot of soul just by virtue of it's development team and how they are advancing the game in addition to implementing incredibly content and updates that most other games won't even consider for a big expansion (in their patches, no less).

Improving on nearly every aspect -- and adding more -- is a core thing that people have come to expect from their updates.  They even add new ways to sit into chairs, emotes (you can set it so that if your character is idle for a few seconds or whatever time you want, they change positions, making it really immersive), dozens and dozens of side quests, main story advancements, side systems, boss fights, raid turns, character improvements, comedy, improvements on all previous aspects or implementations (or additions), etc.  All while not trying to nickle and dime you to death, and being fair about most aspects of the game (Everyone got a free appearance change, and if you buy one from the store for $10, every character on the account gets another one, instead of just one).  There is also very little hand holding once you delve deeply into the game, as most things have to be figured out by the community and those people willing to share said information (which there are a lot of due to reddit).

TDLR; when the game first came out, I didn't think it was worth a monthly sub.  With the latest patch, I believe there is an abundance of reasons to sub and recommend it to most of my friends; they have shown a lot to be admired as a dev team and that they're taking the game in many great directions.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Beginning to wonder if a company will ever make something unique or at the very least bring back legitimate MMO values...

Please enlighten us with these "legitimate MMO values" that all these current MMOs are missing.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Oh yea FFXIV is amazing. Most fun I've had with an MMO in a long time!

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    This post really does need a big red spoiler alert at the top.

• KelliakKelliak Member Posts: 4

...Are people seriously saying this game has depth?

I hope you're speaking exclusively about story here.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Please enlighten us with these "legitimate MMO values" that all these current MMOs are missing.

If I had to guess he's likely someone who hasn't played an MMO in years and thinks all modern mmos are too easy because they don't make you grind mindlessly for months to hit level cap.  Hit or miss?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    I came back to the game for this update in particular because of FrontLines and boy they did it right, it needs some minor tweaks but is currently very enjoyable. now I am switching between PvE > PvP> some gathering> some crafting> back to PvP> raid > roullete and the list goes on and on. every day you are on a roller coaster that never ends.
  • fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77

FF14 is amazing. In my opinion, at the moment is the only MMORPG thats worth of a subscription fee.

I like how they make hard modes from leveling dungeons but change almost everything about them, with new story, encounters, graphics, layout, etc.

Squenix is taking great care of this game and I recommend it to everyone who is on the fence about trying. The game has its fair share of problems, as every game, but its totally worth the money for the box and subs.

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by EvilGeek
    This post really does need a big red spoiler alert at the top.

Oh crud!

Sorry folks! I should have requested a spoiler tag before publishing. Been sick with stomach flu and have been mostly ignoring the world to try and rest my stomach. 

I'll ask the editors to put in a spoiler notice in the morning!

Again, so sorry for the trouble.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

wow that quest is awesome, and from the looks of it... it doesnt look like its going away either ... theres more to come, or at least i hope so.

aslo, just reading this made me resub to ff, i really hope there are some other quests like this one.

i quit at, maybe 25ish or so, but while most quests werent that boring, they werent anything special either. Sure, main story was nice and relatively interesting but not interesting enough to warrant playing through tons of side quests and leaves (laves? leves? forgot its name)... thingies. 

and im really glad to see a quest of this quality in an mmo :P

• TreespiderTreespider Member Posts: 28
    I wish they would have taken this Quest line more like the Hildebrant quest line with out the humor, Were it was separated from the Story to a sense. Since it was so haunting of a tale and wicked. It would have Been more awesome if they would have had there voice actors doing the quest line also and the music and more in depth side quest line .  It still was great, but could have been so much more.   
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

wow that quest is awesome, and from the looks of it... it doesnt look like its going away either ... theres more to come, or at least i hope so.

aslo, just reading this made me resub to ff, i really hope there are some other quests like this one.

i quit at, maybe 25ish or so, but while most quests werent that boring, they werent anything special either. Sure, main story was nice and relatively interesting but not interesting enough to warrant playing through tons of side quests and leaves (laves? leves? forgot its name)... thingies. 

and im really glad to see a quest of this quality in an mmo :P

From the looks of things, this may have been a long-term plan as part of further development to help create great stories for the Hard modes of some of the dungeons.

There are a ton of little things like this in the game, but the game won't come out and say it. Sometimes, it's the quest text that'll do you in and make you love the world even more, and I encourage you to read everything and revisit cutscenes if you can. :)

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com