Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is your MMO an escape from real life?

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
Is an MMO just a game to you, or is it your sea of tranquility, your escape from the stresses of daily life.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    It's my social time and my family time. It's escapism on the level of Six Flags for me, sans the delicious churros.  

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I can't use it to escape, it's my job.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

I would say it's for a different experiance. I love my life so I don't need to escape from it, but I also like to enjoy other stuff. I read a lot, I watch a lot of shows, I play many sports, I go camping by the lake at least a weekend per month and I play a lot of games. I get something good from all of it, most of the time.

I think the firsts MMORPG did a better job at an escapist way as they were more immersive. Now i would say they have become just games.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Velocinox

In what sense? I mean, I work for CCP, but I can still get lost in the universe of New Eden, the world of Nave, the land of Dereth, etc. Is it that you review/blog about MMOs? If so, I can see how you'd be coming at the games from a different angle, but there would still be some you play just for entertainment, no?

What part of your job hinders your immersion into MMOs, and why do you feel it does that?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Use it as a time sink which would be replaced by other real life or non real life activities of MMORPGs never existed.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

All kinds of entertainment is kinda an escape from real life, watching a movie, listening to music or playing a game.

Most people do need something else to think about than work and other crap now and then, that is just healthy. The problem becomes when you start only living for escaping reality.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

No, it's not an escape.  When real life turns up the volume, I try to turn up the Real Life footwork; this just works for me.  My MMO is a hobby, like Chess, playing an instrument, or learning a martial art.  It's a fun activity, but nothing to replace real life.

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I tend to get self destructive when I get bored and games are a cost effective way of entertaining myself. It's a heck of a lot cheaper and more productive  than going out drinking or chasing women.  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Not an escape necessarily, but more than just a game.  An alternate reality I guess where I spend some time in every day for a few hours.

Very similar to the alternate realities of "work", "family life", "running time" and "yard work".  I behave differently in each of those situations and enjoy and dislike different things about them.

Besides, my wife has far fewer issues with me playing MMO's vs partaking of beer, blow and hookers, and it's less destructive too. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I dont use it to escape from reality, I use it to burn up time until reality gives me something worth while to do.  When I get home from work I try to watch TV but all the shows on these days are stupid fking reality shows where they find the dumbest fking people on the planet and put them all in the same room to see what happens, I cant stand it.  My kids are out getting into trouble with their friends so my wife and I sit down and play some games until something better comes up.  Some times I read a good book and some times we go for walks but eventually I run out of books and some times its raining or just too damn hot to go for a walk. 
  • DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134

In a world where lying, cheating, and stealing are now the fastest way any kind of success in life I found mmo's to be a great escape. Hard work could give you a sense of accomplishment , and even feed the ego a bit. I really liked the structure of a more logic based rule set, one that was harder to exploit and manipulate. Enter the masses and the rule set of the real world. Now I play single player games.

Maybe I am a misanthrope.

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Demalis

It's a matter of perspective - we are wired to find things in life that will support our beliefs - both positive and negative.

Saying that we live in a world of lying,cheating and stealing says more about your mindset than life itself.

We could probably debate perspective, but I assure you that in this day and age lying, cheating, and stealing are quite common. From people shaving their heads and making hundreds of thousands raising money for cancer on their facebook page. To that guy in wow who lied about his brother deleting his wow character so he could get Blizzard to legally dupe all his items.

Or what about that guy that said he photo shopped a journeyman ticket and started his own business. multi boxing pvp to win... etc

I'm just a misanthrope,  says enough about my mindset...

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Imagine if mmorpgs were like heroin. The first taste makes it seem like the best feeling in the world. But soon your tolerance builds up. Mmorpgs just don't give you that high and endorphin rush satisfaction they use to. So you get desperate and start trying more and more mmorpgs. You try them all but they just don't give you the same rush they did in the past. Soon you are hooked but you don't even like the mmorpg you are playing...you just play because it's what your mind and body tell you to do. Soon you get mad and start bashing all the new mmorpgs because they aren't as good as your first mmorpg. Eventually your body and mind can't take anymore because your brain is burnt out and warped. You can't process endorphins on your own anymore and NEED mmorpgs to help pick you up, all the while secretly hating them.

Good thing that mmorpgs aren't like drugs right.......right?

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Is an MMO just a game to you, or is it your sea of tranquility, your escape from the stresses of daily life.

They should be, in the same way that some TV, film and books should be.  Surely the intention of many of these mediums is to create an immersive world, intriguing plots and compelling characters that allow you to become lost in their creation for a few hours.  

Unfortunately I haven't been sufficiently immersed in an mmo for some time to to provide any real escapism.  Recently they all seem to be about bombarding the players with trivial distractions rather than creating a deep, immersive world to become lost in.

So if I want a few hours escapism these days I am more likely to put on a decent boxset or read a decent book.   

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Just like a book or a movie it takes me somewhere I am not. It never takes me out of reality.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Gaming is my hobby along with reading books, mostly sci-fi and fantasy for me. Alternate worlds are exciting. I don't consider it escape from real world but as enreachment. Something I could never experience in RL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    These games are not good enough to escape from real life.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Nope, these are games, they are an entertainment medium, no different from watching a movie or reading a book.  They exist to have fun and fill empty hours.  That's it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Yes, definitely an escape for me.  MMOs as a genre I play for the chance to live in a virtual world as a character in a fun story.  If I'm in the mood for more of a strategic challenge I play a single-player tactical game or do a sudoku instead.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Well since in real life I run down hall ways killing people and monsters and picking up loot they drop.....Yes, its nice to sit back and play a nice video game now and then !
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Velocinox

In what sense? I mean, I work for CCP, but I can still get lost in the universe of New Eden, the world of Nave, the land of Dereth, etc. Is it that you review/blog about MMOs? If so, I can see how you'd be coming at the games from a different angle, but there would still be some you play just for entertainment, no?

What part of your job hinders your immersion into MMOs, and why do you feel it does that?

No, I'm a designer. When I play most computer games its always an analysis. That's great dialogue, the tree must have been huge, kudos to them. Look at that animation, did you see that hitch? We need to send our walk animation back for another pass. It's almost there but not quite. That was a long quest, but was it fun? It seemed to drag in the middle there, we could have gotten to the point faster on that one. Man we could have cleaned this up a lot more if we had more time...

I'm thinking about what it took, how well/poor another design team did, notable new approaches to a problem I see, etc... I'm just always working the problem rather then getting lost in the narrative. Don't get me wrong, I can get lost in a frenetic game like an FPS, but that's hardly an escape. Honestly for escape I turn to tabletop now, and I still have a tendency to think, how can we get that moment into our game?

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    This is a tricky question in a sense.  I wouldn't say its an escape as much as its an enhancement to my life.  My mmo playing is me time and we all need some me time to keep our sanity.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Definitely can be a great way to escape when needed.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Just  a game.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    It's my social time and my family time. It's escapism on the level of Six Flags for me, sans the delicious churros.  

Oh fuck you...

...I want a churro now.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4