Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what game modes will make MMOs more fun?

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Aside from the vanilla type dungeon runs, WoW has scenarios, and challenge dungeons.

Diablo has added choice of bounty (that is task with loot, and no pretentious quest text), random dungeon since 2.0, and will add infinite levels of random dungeons with increasing challenges in 2.1.

Obviously there are the pvp game modes like battleground, and arena ...

I guess the seamless matching with stories in Destiny is one new idea. In Incredible Adventure of Van Helsing, there is a "tower defense" type game mode that I think is new to pve games.

Now what other game modes can a MMO add to make the game more fun?

What about a pure survival mode with increasingly difficult waves of enemies (i think Marvel Heroes have that)?

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Do they have a solo mode for dungeons yet?  I've wanted that for years.

How about a forum mode within the game so it's easy to display your avatar customizations and collections to other players?

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by sunandshadow

How about a forum mode within the game so it's easy to display your avatar customizations and collections to other players?

solo mode for dungeons .. yes for all the ARPGs like D3 ... if they can do it in a ARPG, they should be able to do it in an instanced dungeon in a MMO.

forum mode ... yes for blizz ARPGs (D3) and MMO (WoW) .. but it is not in-game (in-game you use inspect in both games) but outside of the game on a webpage.

I like the webpage idea better because you can use another screen (like a tablet) to look at it.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Yes, they are generally found in single player games not a game designed around interactions with other players.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Quesa

Yes, they are generally found in single player games not a game designed around interactions with other players.

Like GW1 ?

why not have both? It is not like getting both the audience is a bad thing. Plus, it is not that hard to do ... if single player RPG can add a co-op mode (quite common), then MMO can scale the difficulty down for dungeon soloers.

Didn't DDO already have done that?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

solo mode for dungeons .. yes for all the ARPGs like D3 ... if they can do it in a ARPG, they should be able to do it in an instanced dungeon in a MMO.

forum mode ... yes for blizz ARPGs (D3) and MMO (WoW) .. but it is not in-game (in-game you use inspect in both games) but outside of the game on a webpage.

I like the webpage idea better because you can use another screen (like a tablet) to look at it.

So now D3 is an ARPG and not an MMO?

You're making all kinds of sense now. You're all over the place, man. How is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by DamonVile

Like GW1 ?

Not an MMO, not even marketed as one. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

So now D3 is an ARPG and not an MMO?

You're making all kinds of sense now. You're all over the place, man. How is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

it can be both .. they are not mutually exclusive. Just like it is a RPG, *and* a ARPG. [mod edit]

Like GW1 ?

close enough

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Like GW1 ?

The question was why don't they have solo dungeons. GW1's henchman system would be a viable alternative and allow people to do group content with fewer numbers of people.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Huh, not quite the response I expected - it's so common for MMOs to have single-player bonus modes, I'm surprised it's even something people would grouse about.

As far as forums within games, I personally really like the way social gaming sites like GaiaOnline and Virtual Pet Sites like Flight Rising bring the game elements like avatars and collections into the forums.  It's also not impossible for MMOs to allow more than one window to be open to MMO content on the same machine - MMO clients aren't usually built to allow this but most browser-based MMOs do.  Browser-based social gaming sites may be the poor cousin of MMOs, but they have been coming up with their own innovations that MMOs could benefit from importing.

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Like GW1 ?

close enough

Not according to ArenaNet, but feel free to take that up with them.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Game modes that aren't game modes will make MMO's more fun.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Oh I dont know.....

How about the Massive Multiplayer Mode???

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Oh I dont know.....

How about the Massive Multiplayer Mode???

Like what? A public zone mode? A war mode?

"massive multiplayer" is not a game mode without specifying what do you do in the game.

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    If I wanted game modes, Id play single player games or console games with friends. From MMOs I expect a living persistent virtual world to have any fun, where I can interact with alot of ppl.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    It's not about Modes or features, it's about replacing the monotony with something more substantial than numbers and prizes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Offer more ways to interact with the world and each other. We have heals, tanks, dps, cc/support, crafting, gathering, commerce.

What are some fun and interesting ways we interact with the real world and each other? Food, music, sports, things like that. Find ways to make a "game" out of those things and make them relevant to the overall progress of your character.

I know thats terribly vague, but you kind of get the idea I hope.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    OP is the reason MMORPG's are so boring.....i mean Game modes in games that are supposed to be one virtual world
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    MOBA style PvP would be excellent for a team PvP MMO. Hell, it wouldn't even be difficult - Smite feels pretty much like what you would expect from this mode. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Offer more ways to interact with the world and each other. We have heals, tanks, dps, cc/support, crafting, gathering, commerce.What are some fun and interesting ways we interact with the real world and each other? Food, music, sports, things like that. Find ways to make a "game" out of those things and make them relevant to the overall progress of your character.I know thats terribly vague, but you kind of get the idea I hope.
    Those are superb ideas!

Unfortunately, the "majority of players" have little to no interest in these kinds of activities. If they are not swinging a sword, shooting a gun, or slinging spells (aka: killing things), they have no interest. "I can do that stuff offline."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Niburu
    OP is the reason MMORPG's are so boring.....i mean Game modes in games that are supposed to be one virtual world

Now, keep in mind that I agree with you on the "Virtual World" part. At least as it pertains to my taste in mmo's.

Having said that, people believe that mmo's should be something other than virtual worlds as is evidenced by the type of games that have been released.

I read the title of the op's post and cringed.

But that doesn't mean an mmo can't have many game modes. It just means that the mmo in question isn't really striving to be a virtual world. It's probably more "about" allowing players to log into some sort of virtual community and experience the game play as more of a "game".

For me? No modes of anything,. I just want one virtual world where I can wander around and find trouble.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Offer more ways to interact with the world and each other. We have heals, tanks, dps, cc/support, crafting, gathering, commerce.

What are some fun and interesting ways we interact with the real world and each other? Food, music, sports, things like that. Find ways to make a "game" out of those things and make them relevant to the overall progress of your character.

I know thats terribly vague, but you kind of get the idea I hope.

Those are superb ideas!

Unfortunately, the "majority of players" have little to no interest in these kinds of activities. If they are not swinging a sword, shooting a gun, or slinging spells (aka: killing things), they have no interest. "I can do that stuff offline."

Yeah, and I get that sentiment. I mean if people want to race each other or play music together, they can play games like Gran Turismo or Guitar Hero. And those specialized games offer much more depth in gameplay than if an mmo were to put in a few race courses, or had a music playing co-op mini game.
    But even though it may not be as robust as their dedicated counterparts, what it does offer is something for the character you created to do in a world it is part of. And it lends itself to players feeling more like they are part of something and may even want to stick around longer, who knows heh.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

None of those game 'modes' are new. Not one.

And tbh, I don't think adding more game 'modes' is the way to make MMOs more fun. But maybe that's just me. I know that's what Blizzard does, but I don't think it's the way forward.

If you just want a bunch of modes to play, there's Minecraft.

Originally posted by Niburu

There is  no such thing as "supposed to be". Games are always evolving to be more entertaining, and adding game modes into MMOs is one of those.