Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Bring Your Friends

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

WildStar is unashamedly a themepark MMORPG, but how does the multi-player aspect really stack up? In his latest column, Gareth Harmer examines just how group-friendly Carbine’s game really is.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: Bring Your Friends.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FadervorFadervor Member Posts: 26
    Tbh. I am enjoying the game the most when duoing with the wife or with my son. Thumbs up for Wildstar for rewarding it.
  • SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    They make grouping up a pleasure.  Keeping up with quests together can be a pain sometimes but other than that, been great for my friends, family and guild!  May WildStar be renown for its... renown?  :P
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Agree.

This is a game focused on guild / group play and i thing Carbine got it absolutely right.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• deadhopedeadhope Member Posts: 52
    I can't wait for my sons to be old enough to kick ass in games.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

The game is really fun but the ONLY time people group is dungeons.

As for bring your friends. It should be "bring your bots". When you get to level 10 and you cant get nodes because of bots its awful. In the DEV there is a thread 70+ pages and going on bots. Bots have killed this game for so many players.

• inoxcopiainoxcopia Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Some days ago i did 2 dungeons using the group finder. The dungeons were hard i must admit, but the gameplay of the game is probably the best one i have seen in an mmo (i find it even better from wow )  making the overall experience very good. For a game that has been around only a few weeks since release, i'm more than impressed.
  • Lemur_LadLemur_Lad Member Posts: 2
    " It felt a little inconsistent at times, and we’d constantly be checking to see if one player’s action contributed to the progress of another. Of course, this means actually having to talk to your leveling partner rather than playing on auto-pilot, so it’s not strictly a bad thing."

I'm glad you're not shying away from the problems, but I wanted to pick at two things here. It more accurately feels inconsistent nearly all the time, and while I agree talking to your partner is AWESOME, saying "did that count for you?" and "do you need any more?" every few minutes is pretty much not.

It's a critique I made a huge effort to get addressed in Closed and Winter Beta, and while some improvements have been made (a lot more quests share credit than they used to) it is still onerous.

The game needs much better UI support for grouped questing.

• JeenyusJeenyus Member UncommonPosts: 7

buy a house. build a mineral depot. problem solved.

plus, tradeskill items are cheap as f**k to buy.

Bots suck yes. but they hardly ruin the game.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

awww, how romantic =D

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354
    Could someone inbox me a free 7-day code referral so I can see if its worth subbing? Thanks! <3 
  • darwiniusdarwinius Member Posts: 1
    I'm still undecided about Wildstar. It sounds interesting but will have to wait for trial codes. I have purchased too many games that I don't find fun.
  • SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Zeblade

The game is really fun but the ONLY time people group is dungeons.

As for bring your friends. It should be "bring your bots". When you get to level 10 and you cant get nodes because of bots its awful. In the DEV there is a thread 70+ pages and going on bots. Bots have killed this game for so many players.

This indeed was the case, and it was bad for awhile... but the war on bots has largely been successful of late as Carbine has been cracking down hard and improving their detection. I personally have not seen any bots in awhile and have had no competition for nodes other than real players since the mass bot banning began.