Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlayStation Boss Doesn't Understand Why Some People Only Want to Play AAA Games

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-boss-doesn-t-understand-why-some-people-only-want-to-play-aaa-games/1100-6420882/

"I hear complaints [about the lack of AAA games]. I do realize that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't really understand those people," Yoshida said. "I don't know if they've tried some of the indie games and decided they're not interested. Maybe they haven't even tried. That's a key question."

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-boss-doesn-t-understand-why-some-people-only-want-to-play-aaa-games/1100-6420882/

"I hear complaints [about the lack of AAA games]. I do realize that some people are only interested in big-budget AAA games. I don't really understand those people," Yoshida said. "I don't know if they've tried some of the indie games and decided they're not interested. Maybe they haven't even tried. That's a key question."

I understand the line of thinking because I used to be one of those type of gamers. I regret not opening up my possibilities sooner but doing so saved my 'gaming life'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I think after having played games for so long, people find what they like and tend to stick with that.  Back in the NES days I'd rent anything that had a cool box.  Once I got introduced to Final Fantasy on the SNES my horizons kind of narrowed and stuck to only certain genres of games for the most part.  I don't mind playing a Smash Brothers or a Borderlands here or there, but for the most part I stick to RPGs and strategy games.

I think some people are unwilling to drop money on indie games because they don't feel they'll get their money's worth.  I personally have maybe only bought a handful of indie games on Steam.  There are some that turned out to be really good games, while others were something that I feel like came out of the bargain bin.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I'm not really into the whole indie thing myself.  I have nothing against indie games or anything, but I didn't buy a PS4 to play games that will run on a PS2.  

I'm not saying I want big budget AAA games or anything, just that I'd like some games that are actually developed for the system I'm playing, and currently most of the games on the PS4 are indie games that aren't really developed with the PS4 in mind; not what I got the console for. 

when I was younger I felt like the best technical progress and the best game innovation would likely come at a price. Thus I assumed the big boys had the best toys. 

However for reasons I am still trying to fathom it turns out its nearly the exact opposite other than graphics.

In many ways the same is true for TV and Movies but not as much.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

PS4 owner here, love the machine , love AAA games, like some indies, let me answer why I only want to play AAA games, ready?

Even good non AAA games do not even come close to what a good AAA offers.

Of all games AAA and non AAA, only about 1% of them actually has something decent to offer.

Of AAA games alone, it's a toss up, AAA means it might be good or it might not. Let's generously give it a 50/50 chance.

Of non AAA games, the chances of the game actually being decent drops out tremendously, the odds are somewhere around 1 in 1,000,000 indie games will actually have something decent to offer.

I didn't buy my PS4 to play indie garbage, the pc world is loaded with that crap, I bought my PS4 to play Destiny exclusively, and to play games like The Division, COD, BF4, with my friends since they won't buy or play on pc.

I can just as easily sell this machine off and play all of those games on an XB1 - Microsoft is going to land attractive AAA deals, you can bank on it.

Originally posted by Crusades

PS4 owner here, love the machine , love AAA games, like some indies, let me answer why I only want to play AAA games, ready?

Even good non AAA games do not even come close to what a good AAA offers.

Of all games AAA and non AAA, only about 1% of them actually has something decent to offer.

I stopped there.

Now granted for you as well as for me what I am about to say is an opinion and not to be read as fact.

I used to play AAA titles and for me the game play I found in my favorite indie titles were stratospherically better. So much so it left me in a confused stupper for awhile. I still am amazed at the quality and depth of game play indies put out on a micro budget compared to AAA. In fact its gotten to the point that if a new AAA comes out its likely has features from 10 years ago and nothing current.

• chocolate-mousechocolate-mouse Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Well this thinking surely explains our lack of quality AAA mmorpgs. They are making games for an entirely different crowd. I haven't owned a console years and don't see the reason why I can't have all my games on one system (my pc). Games generally cost $60 a pop and it takes about a week of playing to go through the content of a srpg. If you make mods like I do then you will get alot more replayability. He is catering to the short term rinse and on to the new game crowd of gamers which is what consoles are imo geared for (no insult inteded).  I don't have an excessive amount of disposable cash, so I expect some longevity out of my game/s (which in my mind only a AAA can achieve). I also don't mind a subscription and a spending a little on cosmetics since gaming is my hobby. I do refuse though be milked like an endless magic cash cow.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

See I appreciate that the indie scene is getting a lot of attention, especially as a developer, BUT, the 'indie gaming' scene is filled with simple puzzle games and 2d side scrollers. Why?

I'm a developer and I'm working hard learning the softwares required to develop games. I'm learning coding, 3d modeling software like 3ds max, and creative writing. I'm putting hard work into developing solid, fun, good-looking, AND deep games. I don't have a big-name company, I don't have millions in revenue. I have me and my ambition to be a great game designer.

I'm not giving up and releasing Mario clones though. What is this? I make games like that while I'm trying to learn how to make real games. Indie titles are supposed to prove that the little people can accomplish great things. It's supposed to kick those big corporate game companies in the ass and say, hey! We made the game that these people weren't giving you. WTF happened?

Again, I appreciate the movement of the little devs making their way in the industry, but they are intentionally producing low-scope games. Where is the ambition?? They want to prove themselves yet produce games that show they have done nothing but worked on these games that look like they were made in their past-times as a hobbyist.

They could literally produce the games they make as 'fun' little side-projects to other great games. These developers aren't putting in the work to make incredible games.

Now, by all means, I like these kinds of games every once in a while. I'm what you'd consider a 'hardcore' gamer, I go for that high score/level/gear/K.D. spread, and do it ferociously. I dedicate at least 20-30 hours into a game before I even consider myself someone who has honestly played it. So I don't consider myself a commoner of these sidescrolling platformers, but I will say I pick them up every once in a while, play for a half hour to an hour and have fun. They can definitely be fun, but you know what? I play these games everyone's now playing in this 'indie' movement, ON ADDICTINGGAMES.COM and other small little apps on my phone. These are not hard to make. At all. These simply aren't comparable to a AAA title.

I simply don't understand the fuss, again if you play these games kudos to you, I have nothing against that or the games themselves, I have an issue with someone who says that these games can compete on a technically and mechanically involved level as, not even AAA titles, but just solid good games, released by good companies.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

See I appreciate that the indie scene is getting a lot of attention, especially as a developer, BUT, the 'indie gaming' scene is filled with simple puzzle games and 2d side scrollers. Why?

I'm a developer and I'm working hard learning the softwares required to develop games. I'm learning coding, 3d modeling software like 3ds max, and creative writing. I'm putting hard work into developing solid, fun, good-looking, AND deep games. I don't have a big-name company, I don't have millions in revenue. I have me and my ambition to be a great game designer.

I'm not giving up and releasing Mario clones though. What is this? I make games like that while I'm trying to learn how to make real games. Indie titles are supposed to prove that the little people can accomplish great things. It's supposed to kick those big corporate game companies in the ass and say, hey! We made the game that these people weren't giving you. WTF happened?

Again, I appreciate the movement of the little devs making their way in the industry, but they are intentionally producing low-scope games. Where is the ambition?? They want to prove themselves yet produce games that show they have done nothing but worked on these games that look like they were made in their past-times as a hobbyist.

They could literally produce the games they make as 'fun' little side-projects to other great games. These developers aren't putting in the work to make incredible games.

Now, by all means, I like these kinds of games every once in a while. I'm what you'd consider a 'hardcore' gamer, I go for that high score/level/gear/K.D. spread, and do it ferociously. I dedicate at least 20-30 hours into a game before I even consider myself someone who has honestly played it. So I don't consider myself a commoner of these sidescrolling platformers, but I will say I pick them up every once in a while, play for a half hour to an hour and have fun. They can definitely be fun, but you know what? I play these games everyone's now playing in this 'indie' movement, ON ADDICTINGGAMES.COM and other small little apps on my phone. These are not hard to make. At all. These simply aren't comparable to a AAA title.

I simply don't understand the fuss, again if you play these games kudos to you, I have nothing against that or the games themselves, I have an issue with someone who says that these games can compete on a technically and mechanically involved level as, not even AAA titles, but just solid good games, released by good companies.

You don't seem very familiar with indie games since you're confusing them with casual flash games. Go take a look at  Greenlight, while there are quite a few bad games, it's not hard to find indie games that match their AAA counterparts. I also assume you've never seen Limit Theory. It's a game being developed by one guy and looks just as good as some of the AAA games that have come out in recent years.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Replace "AAA" with "mainstream" and his words will make more sense.

When you get an indie title, you might get something very unique and probably even awesome but you can also get something very awful. People are conservative in nature though and with mainstream/AAA title, you make likely a safe bet, you know what you will get for your money.

So yeah, I do understand why he wonders about people rejecting diversity but then, it is no news...

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

I agree with you.  But in terms of sony, what I have seen is that they are supporting the indie titles that do have some level of ambition to it.  For example Journey, Everybodies Gone to the Rapture and the big one No Mans Sky.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by allday88
    Originally posted by SEANMCA

I understand the line of thinking because I used to be one of those type of gamers. I regret not opening up my possibilities sooner but doing so saved my 'gaming life'

Wow now that could be one of the saddest, most pathetic statements I have ever read on any gaming forums!  "Saved your gaming life"?  I recommend next time you are on the verge of losing your "gaming life" you step outside and spend a little time in the real world.  

So he should step out in the real world so he can lose his real life? Is that seriously the comparison you just made?

Instead of attacking other people why don't you focus on the topic at hand, given it's a silly topic and AAA games are the industry and the fact that he made such a statement shows his lack of business sense. He just wants to sit back and make profit off the indies....i'm sure he does lol.

He needs to quit riding the coat tail of indie developers and get to making more AAA games as that's why people buy his console, if he was a saint he would offer open architecture and let indie developers post their games for free...but then he would be a pc platform...lol, the hypocrisy of this whole statement is ludicrous.

Console makers trying to sound like saints so they don't have to make AAA games which is why people buy consoles in the first place.....yeah, no.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Well Mr. Yoshi, It's pretty simple. Quality > Quantity. People play mostly AAA games because only a small handful of indie games out of thousands of games at this point have held up to the quality of AAA developer games.

Indie games lack the quality control and try to make up for it with creativity, which while in itself isn't a bad thing, it ends up making a lot of them inferior in quality, presentation, and gameplay.

I'm not saying I don't play indie games, I'm just giving a good reason why most people don't bother with them and I can understand why. Personally, I have played quite a few good indie games over the years.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I play a few indie games but mostly stick to AAA games. Why?   Two big reasons:  1.   Graphic quality is usually superior with the AAA games.  Whenever I hear retro look or quirky or artistic I know I am not going to like it.  2.  Gameplay/movement feels better with AAA games.  In these indie games just moving my character usually feels like getting through heavy mud with a backpack and game experience is inevitably smoother in the bigger games.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Well Mr. Yoshi, It's pretty simple. Quality > Quantity. People play mostly AAA games because only a small handful of indie games out of thousands of games at this point have held up to the quality of AAA developer games.Indie games lack the quality control and try to make up for it with creativity, which while in itself isn't a bad thing, it ends up making a lot of them inferior in quality, presentation, and gameplay.I'm not saying I don't play indie games, I'm just giving a good reason why most people don't bother with them and I can understand why. Personally, I have played quite a few good indie games over the years.

That isn't neccesarily true, it isn't about resources itself, it is about resource management.

Most indy developers fail to setup proper scale for their project and resources they have available. They could make a poor quality MMO or top notch adventure game, side scrolling game, arcade shooter, MOBA, phone platform game or w/e.

But since indy devs are likely making their "dream mmo" and lacking any business sense, former is what gives them a bad reputation.

However, that imo isn't exactly what the guy had on mind and word choice was rather unfortunate.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I think a lot of people are missing the point Mr. Yoshi was trying to make. The guy understands why people mostly play AAA games. That data has been public knowledge for years, and he's one of those people that certainly has access to it.

AAA, simply means that something has a large production budget. Nothing more, nothing less. It gets used as a marketing tool, to imply that a game will be better / more refined than a game with a smaller budget. Most people should, but don't know that this is complete bull. Most of these projects spend these larger budgets making their games flashier and on superior marketing.

Sadly, the vast majority of gamers focus mainly on aesthetics, when it comes to gaming. They don't think too deeply on mechanics, and thus are easily susceptible to such tactics.

***** Now, what Mr. Yoshi is basically trying to say, is that there are quite a number of really good 'indie' or lower budget games. And he would be right. He's also trying to say that most people don't seem to want to give these games a shot, and he would also be right.

Simply put, having a low volume of AAA games currently, does not mean the console lacks good games. He's simply raising awareness on that fact. It probably won't change people spending habits, but who knows. Many of my favorite games have been lower budget games. I don't really care what type of label a game has, as long as it's a good game. I feel like most people who focus too deeply on whether something is AAA are not true gamers, they are consumers.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Well Mr. Yoshi, It's pretty simple. Quality > Quantity. People play mostly AAA games because only a small handful of indie games out of thousands of games at this point have held up to the quality of AAA developer games.

Indie games lack the quality control and try to make up for it with creativity, which while in itself isn't a bad thing, it ends up making a lot of them inferior in quality, presentation, and gameplay.

I'm not saying I don't play indie games, I'm just giving a good reason why most people don't bother with them and I can understand why. Personally, I have played quite a few good indie games over the years.

That isn't neccesarily true, it isn't about resources itself, it is about resource management.

Most indy developers fail to setup proper scale for their project and resources they have available. They could make a poor quality MMO or top notch adventure game, side scrolling game, arcade shooter, MOBA, phone platform game or w/e.

But since indy devs are likely making their "dream mmo" and lacking any business sense, former is what gives them a bad reputation.

However, that imo isn't exactly what the guy had on mind and word choice was rather unfortunate.

Thats...not really true.

For starters, most indie devs are actively avoiding MMOs atm. MMOs are way more work than most people realize, they are extremely risky to innovate on, and they are extremely complex to do correctly.

That said, most indie devs have knowledge of the industry. Either they work in game development themselves, or are friends with people who do. Many of them do understand how to compartmentalize a project, and organize it. There are definitely those that trying and approach it as a hobbyist, but they are not the majority.

Furthermore, many of these indie devs end up being picked up (absorbed) by larger companies if there is interest in their project, so there's a lot of (formerly) indie devs we just don't think about anymore. Valve is a good example of this, as they've absorbed a number of mod teams into their company. Blizzard has also done this, and EA is notorious for doing this.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Some of the Indie games are OK. I have killed a few hours with them. But they are not the reason I bought a PS4. Games like Destiny, Evolve, The Order 1886, ect. are the reason.

Not to say indie games dont have a place, most are decently fun games, but personally playing a game that would have been at home on a PS1 is not what I spent $400 + to play.

Just my opinion.

Originally posted by aesperus

Thats...not really true.For starters, most indie devs are actively avoiding MMOs atm. MMOs are way more work than most people realize, they are extremely risky to innovate on, and they are extremely complex to do correctly.That said, most indie devs have knowledge of the industry. Either they work in game development themselves, or are friends with people who do. Many of them do understand how to compartmentalize a project, and organize it. There are definitely those that trying and approach it as a hobbyist, but they are not the majority.Furthermore, many of these indie devs end up being picked up (absorbed) by larger companies if there is interest in their project, so there's a lot of (formerly) indie devs we just don't think about anymore. Valve is a good example of this, as they've absorbed a number of mod teams into their company. Blizzard has also done this, and EA is notorious for doing this.

So you disagree that indy games are usually lower quality products?

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by aesperus

Thats...not really true.

For starters, most indie devs are actively avoiding MMOs atm. MMOs are way more work than most people realize, they are extremely risky to innovate on, and they are extremely complex to do correctly.

That said, most indie devs have knowledge of the industry. Either they work in game development themselves, or are friends with people who do. Many of them do understand how to compartmentalize a project, and organize it. There are definitely those that trying and approach it as a hobbyist, but they are not the majority.

Furthermore, many of these indie devs end up being picked up (absorbed) by larger companies if there is interest in their project, so there's a lot of (formerly) indie devs we just don't think about anymore. Valve is a good example of this, as they've absorbed a number of mod teams into their company. Blizzard has also done this, and EA is notorious for doing this.

So you disagree that indy games are usually lower quality products?

I would completely disagree.

The only thing AAA games exceed at is graphics, nothing else.

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    There's only so many hours in the day.

If I only have time to play 1 game, naturally I'm gonna pick the game with multimillion dollar budget over the thousand dollar budget.

Part of the problem is that you can't trust reviews anywhere anymore.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Triple A basically means mainstream now. Which means big budget, polished presentation, low risk. At this stage in the industry, indie games are more viable than ever. But in either venue, you have to weed through a lot of turds in order to find the good stuff.

Nintendo is the only developer left that I can 100% rely on delivering true AAA games on a consistent basis.

Originally posted by Ludwik

If I only have time to play 1 game, naturally I'm gonna pick the game with multimillion dollar budget over the thousand dollar budget.

your first sentence makes total sense and I used to think that way.

For reasons that are hard for anyone to understand (I am not suggesting I understand either) the indies are much better

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Ludwik

your first sentence makes total sense and I used to think that way.

For reasons that are hard for anyone to understand (I am not suggesting I understand either) the indies are much better

The indies are much better "for you". I play both AAA and indies. Usually AAAs are much better "for me".

Some indies are good interesting games (like Gone Home or van Helsing) but they don't have the entertainment value (to me) compared to a D3, Dishonor, Tomb Raider, or even Sniper Elite 3.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

triple A's sell consoles period,but I'll play whatever as long as it grabs me and sucks me in i love resogun and many other indies.indies are great when your waiting on that certain big name game or you just wanna kill some time here or there. 

But i wouldn't waste my money on a console if all it played was indie games,especially since pc games are dirt cheap and you can find sales all over daily.

I get why he said what he said,but i really dont think he wanted to sound how its coming off.he's just trying to promote the lil guys who do make quality games on smaller budgets.