Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Singleplayer Games That Could Be MMOs

1235»

Comments

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

Bloodbowl mmo

guilds could be the teams

• popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58

HALO was originally going to be a massively multplayer game in a permanent world.  Set on the ringworld, it was going to be HUGE.

Then Micro$oft bought it and made it a standard FPS for XBOX.

Hell, it was first demo'd on the Macintosh back in the day....

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

They are currently making a Shadowrun MMO, though the developer seems very dubious, and the development process is getting nowhere. Besides, they intend to use an isometric perspective like Shadowrun Returns, which is ok for a turn-based indi RPG, but not for an MMO. Another MMO currently being in the spirit of a single-player game is Star Citizen, quite obviously taking inspiration from Wing Commander (and shares a developer).

There is anither IP that has become somewhat obscure - the Vorkosigan saga, by Lois McMaster Bujold. It is a sci-fi setting (set about 600 years in the future) with many different factions, planets, cultures, space and ground battles, interplanetary conflict, espionage, pirates, etc. There was also some time when they tried to develop an MMO based on the Stargate euniverse, but like The World of Darkness, it failed due to lack of money.

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by popezaphod

HALO was originally going to be a massively multplayer game in a permanent world.  Set on the ringworld, it was going to be HUGE.

Then Micro$oft bought it and made it a standard FPS for XBOX.

Hell, it was first demo'd on the Macintosh back in the day....

Oh you got there first. Yes Halo was originally supposed to be a persistent world MMO. Me and quite a few friends were looking forward to that for quite a while. Then yep the MS thing happened. Actually to this day me and that same group of friends have never even touched a single Halo game because of the disappointment. I can still recall the old trailers in my head. 

As a side note that was also around the time that the first follow up Ultima MMO that was 3D got cancelled. I can remember those trailers quite clearly also.

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Starcraft as Planetside-like MMO.
  • SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Would love to see a Dragonball Online make a comeback. Would have loved to try that out. People always say that you couldn't make Legend of Zelda into an MMO, but I honestly think you could. Just picture a huge open world, based on the Ocarina of TIme's map. You can start as one of all the races in the game: Goron, Hylian, Gerudo, Sheikah, Kokiri, or Zora. Each area is huge with tons of content and you start in your own hometown. If they put as much work into it as they did Wildstar or GW2, they could honestly make an amazing Legend of Zelda Online.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    If nintendo ever makes a Pokemon MMO i'm buying their stock.... They will be printing their own money for a decade.
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Harry Potter <.< >.>

Mass Effect

A Star Wars Space Sim, very much like space in SWG (And not TOR)

• maxcancermaxcancer Member UncommonPosts: 20
    i stop to read at "pokemon" god save us