Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Let's check up on our lovely community...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

...and see where it's currently stationed at. You are welcome to add your costs your MMO is milkin off you or your reasons for playing it for the time being. You are also welcome to mention about other genre games that keep you off MMO's for the time being and that belongs in the real life category cuz you are doing other activities in real life beside MMO's :)

F2P - Free to play the game

B2P - Buy to play the game

P2P - Monthly pay (requirement) to play the game.

Comments

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Erm...I voted Real Life, then remembered I do technically still drop into TERA and Onigiri about once/week for a couple hours, but I don't think ~3 hours/week when I'm used to spending 30+ is enough to qualify as actively playing.  But for disclosure and all that.

I'm not looking forward to anything coming, not really interested in much out there at the moment.  Maybe if I had more friends I would be, but joining a game at level 1 and making friends is...rough at best.  Futile at worst.  Although I must confess the new FFXIV patch looks interesting, I'd have to find some people with guild housing in order to do the chocobo stuffs so that's a bust.  Meh.

Blade and Soul needs to come to NA.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Real life.  I'm not playing any MMOs, or any video games for that matter, and haven't for quite some time.  There just aren't any out there that do what I want, therefore I don't play any.

There are some really good single player games out now. 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

There are some really good single player games out now. 

I've played them all, unfortunately.  They just don't last more than a week or two.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Interesting, so far it seems that 70% are enjoying MMO's, 40% are willing to pay the box + monthly fee at the moment, while 30% are not involved with MMO's for the time being.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Playing GW2 maybe 10 hours a week right now, but enjoying soaking up the sun as much as possible while it lasts!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I play a lot of games on and off... Just don't have the drive to play many PvP games (i.e. FPSs, MOBAs) hardcore like I used to. Nor the time, really. I do play TF2 a lot because I still have skills from when I played way back before they introduced all the new weapons.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

You forgot P2P + F2P.

I'm currently enjoying both FFXIV and Defiance.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

D3, marvel heroes, sniper elite v3, wolfenstein, and may be witcher 2 if i can get to it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

What do you want them to do exactly? And please spare me the philosophies and feelings.
  • KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

I'm killing time by playing EVE and WoW's older expansions on private servers for the moment, so I guess I am currently playing a P2P and a completely donation-run game.

But really I am just waiting for the next game.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Yea, I'm playing EQ and Shadowbane on private servers atm, while I wait for a new game to capture me.  So far it has been a long time since a new game has really grabbed my attention, really looking forward to Albion Online though.  Hoping to get a alpha/beta key so I don't have to wait till Q1 2015 to play.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Real Life:

This is the time of year where I love to spend my free time at our RV lot on the lake in this wonderful land that I call home in British Columbia Canada

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by laserit

Real Life:

This is the time of year where I love to spend my free time at our RV lot on the lake in this wonderful land that I call home in British Columbia Canada

Same here, although the campground we go too in Ny has wifi....

It's a task getting the GF off the iPad but I still play after work at night, wish I could be camping all the time

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Cramit845
    Originally posted by laserit Real Life:   This is the time of year where I love to spend my free time at our RV lot on the lake in this wonderful land that I call home in British Columbia Canada
    Same here, although the campground we go too in Ny has wifi....

It's a task getting the GF off the iPad but I still play after work at night, wish I could be camping all the time

I'm ready for Autumn. Summer wears thin on me by mid July. By September I'm losing my mind. I've never liked warm weather.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

real life looks like a pretty boring option, why not parachuting or skydiving. That is fun!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The first day of my summer vacation. I woke up. then I went downtown, to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drug store. The second day of my summer vacation. I woke up, then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drug store...

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Voted real life, but for the past three weeks I have been playing Planetside 1 (which happens to be free now).

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Based on the definitions provided by the OP, I am engaged in Real Life because I am not playing any MMOs, but I am playing Skyrim.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180
    B2p -D3, also play halo4. just bought divinity: original sin.
  • NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755
    I used to play MMOs but in my opinion there is almost no chance that the genre will approach its earlier promise. However I still like to check in to look for trends and hope that  something interesting is in development. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Nierro
    I used to play MMOs but in my opinion there is almost no chance that the genre will approach its earlier promise. However I still like to check in to look for trends and hope that  something interesting is in development. 

What earlier promise?

I am glad that the genre is diversifying into different game types (MOBAs, online instance pvp, online instance pve ....).

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Voted Real Life.

However, I play mostly F2P, and B2P games these days as sub based games rarely offer value for money.

Looking Forward to: Everquest Next, Arche Age, Wasteland 2.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I generally like short option polls like this one. But in this case I think more options would be required to tell the whole story.

1. F2P - and I would still play it if it was sub
    2. F2P - and I would not play it if it was sub
    3. Totally free (no cash shops)

etc.

I see posters here like myself vote RL when they are in fact playing something. I didn't want to vote F2P since I loathe game monetization. But, my game Planetside 1 no longer provides a sub option and doesn't have a cash shop.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

B2P+P2P

You get so much better content, player bases, communities, everything. FFXIV is a perfect example of why P2P is still the best option. The sheer amount of content and choices is staggering, and the updates are huge.

In games like GW2, SWToR, etc. The updates are tiny, unimportant, sometimes even temporary, and are almost always locked behind an additional pay wall. B2P and F2P games do no deliver nearly the quality of product as a game that has persistent reliable revenue. It has been proven time and time again by experts all over the industry, and the bigges MMO's today (WoW, FFXIV, ESO, WS, etc.) All have a sub fee, which helps them generate more content that is better and do it faster than games like GW2, SWToR, even my beloved RIFT could ever hope to achieve.

As long as F2P games that bastardize the MMO genre by being lobby based, moba style or all about "action" combat, and are gated behind a heavy handed greedy cash shop exist, the genre will not move forward, and continue it's backward slide and devolution.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.