Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think an MMO that takes place before the great flood would be cool

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Imagine this

A world that takes place before the great flood in a wasteland Earth destroyed by the violence of humanity

Remnants of advanced civilizations and their technology scattered throughout the world

The mainland would be one big super continent

Places like the Land of Mu, Shambhala, Atlantis and other places of legends would be explorable

Creatures and other types of beings would exist that never made it through the flood

Beings such as the Nephilim (human/angel hybrid) and fallen angels both with good and evil intentions

Some fallen angels would be posing as false Gods to try to control humanity, Gods such as Odin, Zeus, Ameterasu and such

Players would be Humans struggling to survive in this world and will meet characters like Gilgamesh for example.

Well off the top of my head lets say the fallen angels thought mankind science and technology and to harness the power of their own spirit (similar to harnessing your Chi like martial artists but on a much greater level).  And lets say mankind created devices called soul-harvesters from what what they learned from the fallen angels.  The devices are also remnants from civilizations long ago and are spread through out the world and humans with a strong level of spirit can attune them selves to these.

These types of technology were the humans attempt to become as powerful as the angels and humanity became too corrupted as they were not ready for such things like handing a 5 year old with a gun.  There were human against human conflict, human against angel conflicts, and angel against angel conflicts and there were also the Nephilim that basically got cought up between those conflicts. They were created by the angels to serve as servants and humans started using them as slaves.  But small groups of them went into an exodus to escape and live away from them while the ones who didnt make it died off in the violence of humanity and angels.  In the games present time they are scattered and rare to find.  Now fallen angels have lost much of their power due to extended time away from grace, but they are still very formidable and many of them were killed during those conflicts.

In the games present time some of those fallen angels still want to control humanity and they saw this as a great time to do it because humanity has become desperate and starving with no real civilizations or the technology they once had.  So these fallen angels started posing as false Gods to them offering salvation and because they gained spiritual power from the humans worshiping them.

But some fallen angels who are very few in numbers want to repent for what they did to the world and learned the error of their ways so they want to stop those false gods but need the help of humans. But they saw that much of humanity has lost their spiritual power and are no match for the false gods and the abominations that inhabit the wasted earth.  So they re-activate the soul harvesters which still contained many souls of humans from the past, so they finally free them.  You the player emerge from these and are very weak at first and lost much your memories but through out your journeys will gain your former strength back.

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Real life religion is bad for MMO genre since it is already inflated and too niche based.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Real life religion is bad for MMO genre since it is already inflated and too niche based.

True but this idea has always been stuck in my head

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    [mod edit]

As for the OP, I think a game with this setting would be amazing.  I'd imagine it like a DAoC with Atlantis, Shangri-La and  Babel duking it out for territory and gold. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    I don't care if it's a fantasy or from history I care more about the game to feel like a world and to have exploration, no teleportation, reaching level cap should take years and be a learning journey not pew pew pew I'm level cap now of to dailys and grind same dungeons.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

[mod edit]

No you can't and for the record this is a reportable offense so be wary what you say about people's faith sir.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    I don't care if it's a fantasy or from history I care more about the game to feel like a world and to have exploration, no teleportation, reaching level cap should take years and be a learning journey not pew pew pew I'm level cap now of to dailys and grind same dungeons.

I would make the game frustratingly difficult like Dark Souls 2

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

Please let's refrain from insulting other people's belief's.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo
    mod edit

Science is one of the things that makes me appreciate Gods work even more because it shows me his work in detail.  You know the Budhist chant "Om" or "Aum"?  Well in cymatic imagery it shows the sound vibrations of "Om" makes elliptical shapes and I think thats cool since planets and stars make elliptical orbits.  There are other things of curiosity I could talk about but dont really feel like it.  Anyway these are just some thoughts I had.

Here is the Om sound vibrations being tested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw13EAX3cZk

Cheers for keeping reasonable discussion alive when mod's would shut it down.  Agree or disagree we respect each other's rights to voice our opinions... 

Originally posted by TheQuietGamer
    mod edit

Science is one of the things that makes me appreciate Gods work even more because it shows me his work in detail.  You know the Budhist chant "Om" or "Aum"?  Well in cymatic imagery it shows the sound vibrations of "Om" makes elliptical shapes and I think thats cool since planets and stars make elliptical orbits.  There are other things of curiosity I could talk about but dont really feel like it.  Anyway these are just some thoughts I had.

Here is the Om sound vibrations being tested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw13EAX3cZk

Cheers for keeping reasonable discussion alive when mod's would shut it down.  Agree or disagree we respect each other's rights to voice our opinions... 

There is a difference between having a difference in opinion and explaining one's point in a respectful yet informative manner and peppering one's rebuttal with insults.

Please don't do that.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

It's a good idea.

Mmo's aren't known for their robust storylines so your idea can't do any harm. Additionally there are already some religious elements in mmo's currently, how many times have you had to pray at a gravestone or been cleansed by a "Cleric".

I do understand why the few on here "lashed" out because I did the same thing when I was a atheist. I used all the worst examples of so-called christian's to somewhat justify my rudeness. My problem... nobody in my life knew crap about the bible so all I got were poor answers whenever I had a question about religion. 

If you're a atheist thats cool and I hope it works out for you but if you "lash out" just remember your are fulfilling the "atheist stereotype".

Originally posted by Soliloquy
    mod edit

There is a difference between having a difference in opinion and explaining one's point in a respectful yet informative manner and peppering one's rebuttal with insults.

Please don't do that.

Noted. 

mod edit

Please don't do that.

Noted. 

mod edit

Please don't do that.

Noted. 

You cheeky bugger, I took a hit for both of us then.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

I am sorry but religion is no excuse for ignorance.  Science is all about proof and the fundamental theory is that escalation cannot occur.  Everything degrades over time, but for there to be a god there would have to be a greater god and a greater god, everything we know says that is impossible. 

Let me preface this by stating that I'm an Atheist.  Now that it's out of the way, I take issue with such absolute views.  I don't know if it's an arrogance that we, humans have, or a naivety that we have yet to shed as a species.  You contradict you own statement by ending it with "everything we know".  You should take that short phrase to heart because there is a staggering amount of fact that we do not know or understand.  Most of what we know of subatomic particles is theory.  

As a scientific community, we've been wrong on so many things from our psyche to astronomical events.  Unfortunately, scientists tend to use observational evidence as true fact, just look at the news articles just over 3 decades ago describing the impending ice age.  The simple fact is, science has yet to answer questions that religion proposes to answer.  While that isn't an argument for the religious angle, it certainly isn't for the non-religious either - we just don't know.

Even if there is evidence to such theory, we've seen many times over the past few millennia that evidence can suggest the wrong conclusion.  Look up the discovery of the planet Vulcan if you're interested in an example.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

actually on my list of games I would make if I ever took such a leap is a hurricane rescue simulator.

both before and after the hurricane.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV

I would make the game frustratingly difficult like Dark Souls 2

and add Dark Souls combat too! I would totally play it.

Originally posted by Quesa

I am sorry but religion is no excuse for ignorance.  Science is all about proof and the fundamental theory is that escalation cannot occur.  Everything degrades over time, but for there to be a god there would have to be a greater god and a greater god, everything we know says that is impossible. 

Let me preface this by stating that I'm an Atheist.  Now that it's out of the way, I take issue with such absolute views.  I don't know if it's an arrogance that we, humans have, or a naivety that we have yet to shed as a species.  You contradict you own statement by ending it with "everything we know".  You should take that short phrase to heart because there is a staggering amount of fact that we do not know or understand.  Most of what we know of subatomic particles is theory.  

As a scientific community, we've been wrong on so many things from our psyche to astronomical events.  Unfortunately, scientists tend to use observational evidence as true fact, just look at the news articles just over 3 decades ago describing the impending ice age.  The simple fact is, science has yet to answer questions that religion proposes to answer.  While that isn't an argument for the religious angle, it certainly isn't for the non-religious either - we just don't know.

Even if there is evidence to such theory, we've seen many times over the past few millennia that evidence can suggest the wrong conclusion.  Look up the discovery of the planet Vulcan if you're interested in an example.

I think you might be agnostic, which is fine.   I am not one to dictate other peoples perception of facts 

Agnostic is a sensible aproach when you are not convinced one way or the other.  I would never argue against it. 

I think you might be agnostic, which is fine.   I am not one to dictate other peoples perception of facts 

Agnostic is a sensible aproach when you are not convinced one way or the other.  I would never argue against it. 

Dear god man, it's like you didn't read it at all.

Can't say I did ; ok it sounds like you were on a journey of self discovery and you want me to police that? Obviously not gonna happen.  No one finds themselves, its silly myth.  

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

I am sorry but I find your original post to be offensive.  It assumes a belief in and a respect for a particular religion.

If you were to phrase it in a manner that did not presuppose Christian faith I might be more receptive.  In this I strongly disagree with the moderators. While I cannot see what they have removed from peoples posts I can see that they have not edited or removed the original post.  This I also find offensive.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Do we get to ride dinosaurs? 
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Imagine this

A world that takes place before the great flood in a wasteland Earth destroyed by the violence of humanity

Remnants of advanced civilizations and their technology scattered throughout the world

The mainland would be one big super continent

Places like the Land of Mu, Shambhala, Atlantis and other places of legends would be explorable

Creatures and other types of beings would exist that never made it through the flood

Beings such as the Nephilim (human/angel hybrid) and fallen angels both with good and evil intentions

Some fallen angels would be posing as false Gods to try to control humanity, Gods such as Odin, Zeus, Ameterasu and such

Players would be Humans struggling to survive in this world

Just no.

Can't say I did ; ok it sounds like you were on a journey of self discovery and you want me to police that? Obviously not gonna happen.  No one finds themselves, its silly myth.  

At least your consistent in your inability to have an actual conversation.

Originally posted by craftseeker

I am sorry but I find your original post to be offensive.  It assumes a belief in and a respect for a particular religion.

If you were to phrase it in a manner that did not presuppose Christian faith I might be more receptive.  In this I strongly disagree with the moderators. While I cannot see what they have removed from peoples posts I can see that they have not edited or removed the original post.  This I also find offensive.

Um, nothing about the original post points directly at a single religion.  The 'great flood' myth, or whatever you want to call it, is referenced in many religions.  Not to mention that he brought up Zues (Greek mythology), Odin (Norse mythology) and Amaterasu (Japanese mythology) in the same frickin sentence. 

People need to get a grip, seriously.

Originally posted by craftseeker

The great flood and things like fallen Angels arent exclusive to christian faith.  I also never said that this was based off of the bible.