Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Marvel Heroes: An Omega Level MMOARPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Marvel Heroes launched last year in a decidedly less than superheroic state. The game shared many qualities found in the various ARPGs that have come onto the scene since Gazillion CEO David Brevik essentially created the point-and-click ARPG genre with Diablo in 1996.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Marvel Heroes: An Omega Level MMOARPG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

thats a high score.. i got bored of it pretty fast tell you the truth felt very repetative even for an arpg..

• NovuhzNovuhz Member UncommonPosts: 31

The game feels very boring to me, I got a maxed out hero and got like another 5 to 7 heroes at level 20-30.

I couldn't get myself to play the game anymore, I'd almost fall asleep while trying to level my other characters... even at end game the game feels boring for me, I guess the game is just not for me.

So I went back to D3: RoS.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    I can't really argue with your high or low scores but I guess the thing about ARPGs is you either love them or are bored to death by them. As far as ARPGs go this one is one of the best, but if you're not a fan this one wont really change your mind.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by Novuhz

The game feels very boring to me, I got a maxed out hero and got like another 5 to 7 heroes at level 20-30.

I couldn't get myself to play the game anymore, I'd almost fall asleep while trying to level my other characters... even at end game the game feels boring for me, I guess the game is just not for me.

So I went back to D3: RoS.

Strange to me that you were bored with Marvel Heroes though went back to Diablo III which I thought some of the Diablo games were boring LOL.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Items do not affect appearance. What's the point of finding good loot if you can't see a visual representation of it? That's where the main feeling of satisfaction is...

That's the reason I can't get into this game.

Yeh, yeh.. there's costumes. Not the same thing.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by threefeet

dont call this game an MMOARPG. there is no more action in this game than there is in WoW, or GW2 or other fantasy mmo's, and it just sounds dumb. just start calling all these online games Massive Multiplayer Onliners, simply MMO's. people will understand what it is soon as you tell them its from Marvel or say the name of the game.

on a similar note, so many gamers rage at people role playing in an MMORPG, when they forget its an mmoRPG; those Not roleplaying should be the MINORITY. so NO MORE COMPLAINTS about role playing in mmoRPG's. quit being douches and chasing people off to some hidden area so you dont have to read their role playing. if you dont like it YOU leave.

ARPG is a genre.. not a description.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • pyrobryanpyrobryan Member UncommonPosts: 3

Originally posted by Vannor

Items do not affect appearance. What's the point of finding good loot if you can't see a visual representation of it? That's where the main feeling of satisfaction is...

I had the same thought at first, but then you have to realize that the characters that you are playing are owned by Marvel and their appearance must be approved by Marvel.  It would have to be up to Marvel to allow their characters to take on different appearances.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

• pyrobryanpyrobryan Member UncommonPosts: 3

I had the same thought at first, but then you have to realize that the characters that you are playing are owned by Marvel and their appearance must be approved by Marvel.  It would have to be up to Marvel to allow their characters to take on different appearances.  It sucks, but it is what it is.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    You have to be a Marvel fan to enjoy this game. If not, I can see how it can get extremely boring. Moreover, if you are a Marvel fan, be prepared to spend loads of money in this game.
  • DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

Everytime I see this game, I wanna play it but then I remember that it doesn't have a hardcore mode, boring....

Once you tried hardcore in ARPG, you can't go back, it's not the same anymore, no challenge, just clicking, it's like playing poker for chips instead of real money, it is not the same.
  • SpcTstCrnchSpcTstCrnch Member Posts: 28

This isn't an official list of (100%) that it is coming out  but a few purple posts. 

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/94113/the-future-of-mh-info-on-lady-mandarin-starktek-pvp-costumes-raid-info-and-more-07-08-14#latest

Yes, the game is dull doing the same missions over and over again, but like any game the devs are trying to their best, but most of the times their hands are tied, due to Marvel. They really can't do much without Marvel giving them the thumbs up. But more things are coming, as more Marvel movies are released so will content, and when they get on line with the time frame (Marvel content) a lot more content will come out and more is on the way. Players like me who spent roughly $200 on the games stash heroes and their costumes. The game is getting slowly getting better, just like wine, as it ages it gets better. 

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

@Michael Bitton

What character did you use in order to make your review and what point did you reach exactly, in level?

I have been playing Marvel Heroes for far too long now to see that this above article is trying to promote a game misleading people, not giving an objective view with actual basis for their claims.

My Psylocke is Prestige rank 2 and currently level 15, my Jean Grey is Prestige rank 1 and level 60, my Ghost Rider is lvl 60 and aside from them i have many others that are yet to reach level 60 (Wolverine at 50, Storm 45 etc)

It's true that the Unreal 3 engine allows great Aesthetics and yes Marvel Heroes has some nice graphics overall, but that's about it. You can't really give it 8.5 for gameplay when it's totally lacking in that  area.

Also, allow me to add the endless number of bugs per hero powers, heroes that come straight from the Test Center with already poorly implemented powers (Psylocke's Assassinate, Psi-Bolt and Katana Typhoon not hitting enemies on the 1st few attempts, same for unreliable CC, Ghost Rider's Fear skills occasionally working, most of the time his targets get stunned instead, just to name a few). Not to mention the Terminals always bugging and either going deserted, without any mobs inside, or with bosses not dropping loot.  Midtown Madness is almost deserted and still an issue for some players. Holo Sim has been having the mechanical arm wave bug for such a long time, its ridiculous to even try to  reach a certain wave number without this bug forcing you to fail.

Bad events, ridiculous story  (short and ends around lvl 25, totally disconnected from other game modes). Bad itemization, limited customization for heroes in terms of builds and stats per items.

There's so much to say about how messy this game is at the moment and totally undeserving of any good review mark.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by pyrobryan

Yep that's why it seemed like a bit of a fisaco to get Silver Surfer released (according to Doomsaw's posts).

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Great concept, unfortunately the game is inherently flawed from being the best experience possible due to a buggy engine and lack of solid internal testing prior to pushing content live.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Radoo

@Michael Bitton

What character did you use in order to make your review and what point did you reach exactly, in level?

I have been playing Marvel Heroes for far too long now to see that this above article is trying to promote a game misleading people, not giving an objective view with actual basis for their claims.

My Psylocke is Prestige rank 2 and currently level 15, my Jean Grey is Prestige rank 1 and level 60, my Ghost Rider is lvl 60 and aside from them i have many others that are yet to reach level 60 (Wolverine at 50, Storm 45 etc)

It's true that the Unreal 3 engine allows great Aesthetics and yes Marvel Heroes has some nice graphics overall, but that's about it. You can't really give it 8.5 for gameplay when it's totally lacking in that  area.

Also, allow me to add the endless number of bugs per hero powers, heroes that come straight from the Test Center with already poorly implemented powers (Psylocke's Assassinate, Psi-Bolt and Katana Typhoon not hitting enemies on the 1st few attempts, same for unreliable CC, Ghost Rider's Fear skills occasionally working, most of the time his targets get stunned instead, just to name a few). Not to mention the Terminals always bugging and either going deserted, without any mobs inside, or with bosses not dropping loot.  Midtown Madness is almost deserted and still an issue for some players. Holo Sim has been having the mechanical arm wave bug for such a long time, its ridiculous to even try to  reach a certain wave number without this bug forcing you to fail.

Bad events, ridiculous story  (short and ends around lvl 25, totally disconnected from other game modes). Bad itemization, limited customization for heroes in terms of builds and stats per items.

There's so much to say about how messy this game is at the moment and totally undeserving of any good review mark.

It's not lacking in game play at all. You must not be playing the same game I am. There's plenty to do in game, and more on the way.

Hero bugs are few and far between, and most are balance issues, not actual bugs. Terminals always bugging? In my 700 hours of play time (not including time spent playing the non-steam client) I've had that happen maybe twice. Midtown has only been bugged for a couple days, as has the holo-sim arm event, and neither one of those bugs popped up for me yesterday.

Events are fun, community is mostly decent, builds are diverse, and the itemization is fine. I'll just flat out say that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I find it amusing that many people clamored for a re-review of MH, yet what are the first posts?

"This game doesn't deserve that score!"

"Game is full of bugs and crappy!"

"Game is boring!"

"OMG did Gaz pay you to write this?"

Sigh...

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• I play the game a lot and enjoy it tremendously. I think the review ifs pretty fair given the current state (The reviewer is correct, the polish could be better.) All in all, though, it's a great game.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

@Michael Bitton

You can either have an aggressive release schedule or you can have a bug free product, not both.  Welcome to programming.  The rest of your complaints are pretty baseless.

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

@Michael Bitton

It's not lacking in game play at all. You must not be playing the same game I am. There's plenty to do in game, and more on the way.

Hero bugs are few and far between, and most are balance issues, not actual bugs. Terminals always bugging? In my 700 hours of play time (not including time spent playing the non-steam client) I've had that happen maybe twice. Midtown has only been bugged for a couple days, as has the holo-sim arm event, and neither one of those bugs popped up for me yesterday.

Events are fun, community is mostly decent, builds are diverse, and the itemization is fine. I'll just flat out say that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I find it amusing that many people clamored for a re-review of MH, yet what are the first posts?

"This game doesn't deserve that score!"

"Game is full of bugs and crappy!"

"Game is boring!"

"OMG did Gaz pay you to write this?"

Sigh...

We must be totally playing from different planets too, because you have nothing to confute my claims with, yet you are quoting me ...for ...reason?

Anyway, the game IS boring, also undeserving of such high marks as many other sentient beings have expressed above.

And yeah, it's true everything is fine and dandy, no bugs at all, probably only on your 700 hours of who know what world 

-------in the meantime

https://forums.marvelheroes.com/categories/hero-and-power-bugs

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

/approve

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZenerenZeneren Member UncommonPosts: 29

do not like the setting

dark fantasy fan...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Fair score.  I'm burned out on the game and have concerns about where they are focusing things - monthly heroes aren't really a draw for me anymore with the exception of a few heroes/villains, raids and PVP just don't interest me in an ARPG.

I wish they focused more on a robust in game economy, hardcore mode and other ARPG tentpoles.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it's a solid game.. and i bet there'd be less complaints if people did'nt place an MMO tag on it. also compared to similar games this one rocks even with it's flaws.. i mean most games have 4-6 heroes to choose from.. this one got 30+

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I don't like the fact that you cant trade anything.  I have found outfits for heroes I don't want but there is nothing I can do with them.  I also feel the drop rate on heroes and splinters is ridiculously low.  By level 30 I only have about 250 splinters and it takes at least 400 to buy a new hero.  Some of the boss battles are much too long.  Thirty minutes to finish Loki off and that's with a group of three.  That wasn't good gameplay, it is lack of imagination from the developers.  Loki is the one thing that stops me from leveling any other hero.  Why would I want to go look for a group to fight him for 30 minutes?  He spawns 5 minions, you kill them and then have like 3 seconds to hurt him before he spawns more then rinse and repeat for 30 minutes.  It is the single worst piece of game programing I have ever encountered in my 20+ years of PC gaming.  I have seen people post in the official forums that it took them over 45 minutes to finish him.  If there was a bit of creativity to the fight, I could live with it but killing 5 minions and then hitting Loki once or twice and then repeating it 30 to 50 times is too much for me to ever want to do it again. 

As a casual game I play with my young son, it can be fun but all it will ever be to us is a casual game we play 2 to 3 hours per week.  If they put some imagination into the boss fights (you kill him once and then he respawns and you have to kill him again, its just silly) and increase the drop rates a bit we might play more.  I'm not going to spend $20 a month on item drop boosts.  I have used the free ones and I don't really notice a difference.  If you are into Marvel, buy your favorite hero right from the start and have a go at it.  Other than the boss fights it is an ok story and the gameplay can be fun with a friend.  Just don't think there is much replayability to this one.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ash667ash667 Member UncommonPosts: 28

This company is a bunch of cowards and thieves.

I bought something in the store n I had the window open to confirm n I was debating like last second gut decision should I buy this and then I decided not to at the last moment and went to click no n I messed up n it clicked yes so I was sad.

So I messaged the support team and explained I misclicked and made a mistake and wasted 16$

They were like sorry our policy is not to issue any refunds

So I said some smartshit like surely for there to be any justice in the world there must be exceptions to the rule for how can their be any justice if all laws are set in stone for perpetuity

So long story short they refused 3 or 4 times to even budge so I said well if your not going to refund it I can still protect myself and void the transaction through the credit card company

They were like we don't take kindly to threats and banned me so i lost about 50$

I asked for information so I could parlay with a legal department and they refuse to talk to me or give me any information now..

anyways that's my marvel heroes story

• ex-marvelguyex-marvelguy Member Posts: 1

The first strike against Marvel Heroes is the g.d. repetitiveness of doing the EXACT SAME MISSION for every hero.  Playing as Spidey and considering switching to Gambit ?  Be prepared to complete the same tasks you've already done.  Contrast this with "City of Heroes" which even at launch allowed you to choose where you started.  This determined your contacts which affected the missions you were offered. (and later gave you to the option to be a villain or an alternate world Praetorian.)

Since every character goes through the same paces, you have the ridiculous situation of low-level heroes STRUGGLING TO DEFEAT ORDINARY STREET THUGS.  This might work for some characters like Daredevil or Hawkeye but not Iron Man or the Thing.  But fixing this would mean customizing missions at least cosmetically (so that they appear as agents of A.I.M. or some other more challenging foe) instead of the current "one size fits all" mentality which insists on treating Thor and the Black Widow as equally strong.

I don't care if you are "used to it," using the mouse to both move AND target is just poor design. 

The current level of "characterization" is a waste IMO.  In missions or instances, things are usually too fast-paced to even be aware of it.  The only time you do notice is usually when you congregate in a base or are making room in your inventory.  THAT's when you hear the same lines of dialogue over and over.  (Originally I kept wondering who kept repeating "It's clobbering time" before I realized it was me. image )

I pretty much gave up on the game when I tried to solo the Dr. Doom mission at the end of Act I.  This is the one where you keep defeating Victor only to have him resurrect twice but even stronger.  (You'd think a smart guy like Vic would start out at the Cosmic level so he wouldn't be defeated at all and save his less powerful states as a "last resort.")  Doom's in a chamber at the end of a long maze.  Once inside this room, you can't leave even for a minute to restore your health.  If you die, he's pretty much recovered his health by the time you've gotten thru the maze and returned.  I had a mid-30 level Hulk with a signature power of Meteor Strike when I finally gave up.  Sure, I could have asked someone to help me complete the mish, but if you're playing "the strongest one there is" several levels over the minimum requirements for a supposedly soloable mission, then you shouldn't need to.

The last few months I would only log in to get freebies (Runes !  spring candy !) or to take advantage of a costume sale, but actually, you know, playing ?  Meh.  Possibly the teamup system will change my mind.

I actually liked Diablo I and II.  Now maybe I had too high expectations going in but Marvel Heroes just feels like "lather, rinse, repeat."