Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So with the remaining playerbase: What kind of players are these? The ES fans or the MMO fans?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

After the game hype has died down, I wonder what remains currently as the larger of the two social groups (ES Fans or MMO Fans).

I remember before release, there was a big subject between ES Fans vs MMO Fans, in regarding who the developers of ESO should cater to most.

But which group do you believe to be the majority that remains currently?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• raggnirraggnir Member UncommonPosts: 51
    can you explain me why you came to a forum other than the official ES forums to ask people that are probably not even playing the game to speculate about whether the franchise fans are a majority or not?
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    I think it's a combination of both with one common denominator, that being a group of people with little to no expectations that can barely tie thier own shoes.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I would have to say at this point, eso will end up just like swtor with it's player base, which isn't so bad at all. I currently play swtor and the server that I am on are heavy with role players that are into star wars lore.

I like eso, but only is doses as well as swtor. I am not much for the new theme park hamster craze, so I been sticking with my older mmorpg's now like AO and AC as my main mmorpg to go to.

I still remain sub to swtor and eso just for that itch, but honestly, eso to me is probably one of the most beautiful mmo's out there and I do like their combat mechanics. I got a rig that eats this game up, so my experience with this game may differ from some out there, but combat mechanics and graphics isn't what keeps me playing a mmo. If the game has depth and some complexity, I will love it and keep on playing it.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm an mmo player and I'm not playing anymore. I'm KIND of a skyrim fan, but I wouldent play for that reasion eather, because its not much like Skyrim.

It's kind of not much like anything but a game on a mega server with people around you.

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by raggnir
    can you explain me why you came to a forum other than the official ES forums to ask people that are probably not even playing the game to speculate about whether the franchise fans are a majority or not?

Tis a good question considering how much hate ESO was met with on this site.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I would guess ES fans as the devs are making changes catering to those vs the hardcore mmoers.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I wouldn't know which of the two groups in the poll is the "largest", but clearly, anyone who's playing ESO at this point is someone who actually enjoys the game... image
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    I wouldn't know which of the two groups in the poll is the "largest", but clearly, anyone who's playing ESO at this point is someone who actually enjoys the game... image

+1

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I don't think this question can get a real answer . I know on the singleplayer elderscrolls game boards most of them still hate that an mmo was made at all still. If anything it should have been coop and singleplayer and not an mmo.
  • NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

It's likely a mixture of both, but I would guess the majority are ESO fans. Again, only a guess. It seems like MMO players tend to move from game to game, whereas those who had little previous experience before playing ESO are likely experiencing the love of that first MMO. I envy that, gotta say.

Oh, and I'm not (at all) implying that ESO isn't a good enough game to keep experienced MMO gamers. 

Here's a pathetic bit of honesty: I think I spent a longer period of time "breaking up" with my first MMO than I did getting over the first girl I legitimately loved. Haha! Then again.. if I could get a reasonably accurate version of her when she was the age we started dating it may be a completely different story.

- Nellus

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Who knows what motives lurk in the hearts of MMO players?

The shadow knows.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• justsomemmogamer88justsomemmogamer88 Member Posts: 5

Definitely MMO gamers, mostly Dark Age of Camelot fans. Why would TES fans play this? Most staples of the TES series are absent for this game. It's not open-world at all, very much on-rails. There is no first person archery, instead you get the standard auto-targeting system found in all other themepark MMO's. There is no pick-pocketing, or thieve's guild. There is no dark brotherhood, or killing NPC's. You can't craft poison with alchemy, poison arrow is a freaking archery skill. There's no alteration magic, or underwater exploration. You can't even steal a horse, because they want you to buy that in the cash shop.

Horses typically cost about a thousand gold in TES games. In this one they cost like 17k for a crappy slow one, then 40k for one that's actually fast... So a decent horse cost 20x what a house in Oblivion cost, and enemies drop 1 gold each, with bosses maybe giving you 3 gold. Oh, and there's no player housing, and when they add it, it will be phased in so that half your friends will probably never be able to access it.

I'm an MMO gamer, as well as a TES fan, and if this had been released as Dark Age of Camelot 2, I might could have forgiven all this. But releasing this under the guise of it being a TES experience, pretty much disappointed the majority of TES fans. Plus you have all the standard MMO problems, like flying bots, gold seller spam, etc. that most TES fans really don't care for. 

So yeah, it's definitely MMO gamers, with maybe a few TES fans with Stockholm Syndrome sticking around, telling themselves it will get better.... 

• velexievelexie Member Posts: 28
    The game stunk as an ES game, lets face it. It stunk so high people would rather play the predecessor, Skyrim, than play TESO. It's happening, it has happened.

ZOS just hires the wrong bunch of people, or they were led on by complete idiots who fed management that they knew what they were doing. Obviously something went wrong.

As it is, SWTOR is looking really good compared to TESO. Contest that statement all anyone wants, but SWTOR has a population to support a massive RPG, online. And when it's all said and done, an MMORPG is only as powerful as it's userbase population.

I mean .. at least SWTOR tried to be innovative ......
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

My vote is masochists, 100% of them are masochists.

But seriously it is more likely both, or neither.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Originally posted by velexie
    The game stunk as an ES game, lets face it. It stunk so high people would rather play the predecessor, Skyrim, than play TESO. It's happening, it has happened. ZOS just hires the wrong bunch of people, or they were led on by complete idiots who fed management that they knew what they were doing. Obviously something went wrong. As it is, SWTOR is looking really good compared to TESO. Contest that statement all anyone wants, but SWTOR has a population to support a massive RPG, online. And when it's all said and done, an MMORPG is only as powerful as it's userbase population. I mean .. at least SWTOR tried to be innovative ......

I agree. Heck, the archery in Minecraft feels better than the archery in ESO. At least in that game I actually can aim, and shoot things far away if I know to aim a bit higher to compensate for the arrow curving downward. In ESO you target something, turn to face the opposite direction, shoot, and the arrow magically turns around and zips right over your shoulder hitting the targetted bad guy behind you... Or it will just disappear if he's more than ten paces away from you.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742
    Originally posted by justsomemmogamer88
    The game stunk as an ES game, lets face it. It stunk so high people would rather play the predecessor, Skyrim, than play TESO. It's happening, it has happened. ZOS just hires the wrong bunch of people, or they were led on by complete idiots who fed management that they knew what they were doing. Obviously something went wrong. As it is, SWTOR is looking really good compared to TESO. Contest that statement all anyone wants, but SWTOR has a population to support a massive RPG, online. And when it's all said and done, an MMORPG is only as powerful as it's userbase population. I mean .. at least SWTOR tried to be innovative ......

I agree. Heck, the archery in Minecraft feels better than the archery in ESO. At least in that game I actually can aim, and shoot things far away if I know to aim a bit higher to compensate for the arrow curving downward. In ESO you target something, turn to face the opposite direction, shoot, and the arrow magically turns around and zips right over your shoulder hitting the targetted bad guy behind you... Or it will just disappear if he's more than ten paces away from you.

And if it was not like they would be overwhelmed with complaints it was too difficult. As happened in AoC, but I think that was bows were too fiddly rather than aiming. MMOS are easymode, MC may not be, but you design too much difficulty in a MMO and the ranting is endless. Perhaps you can tell us the mainstream MMO where you aim higher to reach targets further away? Easymode is the reason that titles are not flowing from your fingers right now.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    They are the ESO fans.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Scot

And if it was not like they would be overwhelmed with complaints it was too difficult. As happened in AoC, but I think that was bows were too fiddly rather than aiming. MMOS are easymode, MC may not be, but you design too much difficulty in a MMO and the ranting is endless. Perhaps you can tell us the mainstream MMO where you aim higher to reach targets further away? Easymode is the reason that titles are not flowing from your fingers right now.

Exactly, this is not an fps game or even a first person action-RPG like Skyrim. That is just how it is. Aiming a bow would put archers at a severe disadvantage unless all skills across the board are made to be precisely aimed (swords, spells, etc), while this would be cool.... kind of, it would change the game into an action title with heavy RPG elements, instead of a core RPG.  I personally have realized over my mmo experiences that I prefer using abilities (and more of them)  to performing action related things such as dodging/blocking/precision aiming etc.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    No one can answer this question. I'm a Skyrim Fan and an MMO fan and like ESO. Go figure.

There Is Always Hope!

• ZiezoZiezo Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Both. Great game!

Playing: TESO (great!)
    Most looking forward for: Everquest Next
    Have Played: World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, Everquest Online Adventures, Everquest 1, EverQuest 2, Dungeons & Dragons Online, The Chronical of Spellborn, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Aion, CoH, Loong, Dragon nest, LoL, Alods, Diablo 3, NWN, Tera, Poe, Guild Wars 2, Rift
    Most favorite; Everquest online Adventures (EQOA, 2003, PS2)

The remain playerbase like every other MMORPG or other genre of games would be the gamers who are actually enjoying the game.

No need to put people into boxes like we already see in most of real life where people can be pretty narrowmindede. We do not need that in games as I used to believe gamers where mainly openminded individuals. Yet these day's we have people that need to seperate certain people into these games just because they themself might not like a certain game, what's up with that?

Originally posted by Reklaw

The remain playerbase like every other MMORPG or other genre of games would be the gamers who are actually enjoying the game.

No need to put people into boxes like we already see in most of real life where people can be pretty narrowmindede. We do not need that in games as I used to believe gamers where mainly openminded individuals. Yet these day's we have people that need to seperate certain people into these games just because they themself might not like a certain game, what's up with that?

The OP simply wants to know whether the game retained more Elder Scrolls fans or MMO players. What's wrong with speculating about that? Calling us narrow-minded for seeing there is a difference between an MMO and a TES game and the people who play them is kind of rude. This is an MMO based on a popular series of RPG's, so of course people are going to want to know if it's like those games it's based on. The thing is though, it isn't. If you're enjoying the game for what it is, that's fine, but trying to argue with and report anyone who tries to have an honest discussion about how the game is more MMO than TES is really bigoted, and uncalled for. It's like you have some kind of agenda to hide the truth or something. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

The OP simply wants to know whether the game retained more Elder Scrolls fans or MMO players. What's wrong with speculating about that? Calling us narrow-minded for seeing there is a difference between an MMO and a TES game and the people who play them is kind of rude. This is an MMO based on a popular series of RPG's, so of course people are going to want to know if it's like those games it's based on. The thing is though, it isn't. If you're enjoying the game for what it is, that's fine, but trying to argue with and report anyone who tries to have an honest discussion about how the game is more MMO than TES is really bigoted, and uncalled for. It's like you have some kind of agenda to hide the truth or something. 

A poster says some posters may be narrow minded, you call him rude, bigoted and possibly having an agenda to hide the truth.

Got where your coming from now Justo. :)

A poster says some posters may be narrow minded, you call him rude, bigoted and possibly having an agenda to hide the truth.

Gee, now that I think about it, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we are narrow-minded for speculating that this might be more of an MMO than a TES game.  It wasn't rude or bigoted of Reklaw at all to call us narrow-minded, he's just telling the truth. Like he does in every other thread where people try to bash ESO saying it's not a true TES game. -sarcasm-

Gee, now that I think about it, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we are narrow-minded for speculating that this might be more of an MMO than a TES game.  It wasn't rude or bigoted of Reklaw at all to call us narrow-minded, he's just telling the truth. Like he does in every other thread where people try to bash ESO saying it's not a true TES game. -sarcasm-

Nothing narrowminded about feeling this is or is not a ES game. Putting people into certain boxes is to me. But then you need to try and understand the full context of what I wrote and not just the word narrowminded. Besides I am speaking commonly as you often resort to personal attacks.