Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Black Gold Online: First Impressions - Seems We've Been Here Before

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Steampunk has been an obsession of gamers for a long time, but it’s criminally underrepresented in most MMORPGs. Snail Games aimed to partially alleviate that concern by smashing both steampunk and fantasy flavors together into one massive and varied free-to-play MMORPG called Black Gold Online. BGO has a lot in common with one of its developers other titles, Age of Wushu, both in terms of visuals, mechanics, and underlying systems. 

Read more of David Jagneaux's Black Gold Online First Impressions: Seems We've Been Here Before.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Thanks for the first impression of this. I've been keeping an eye out for a good steam-punk MMO. One thing I have to admit, though; I prefer tab-targeting auto-attack style combat over "action" based button-mashers.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    About the second picture where your character is in the water.  I couldn't help but laugh seeing the gold seller in the chat box.  Not that this is unique to this MMO.  
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by BitterClinger
    Thanks for the first impression of this. I've been keeping an eye out for a good steam-punk MMO. One thing I have to admit, though; I prefer tab-targeting auto-attack style combat over "action" based button-mashers.

It has tab targeting, action skill targeting, and possibly one other I haven't looked into. It does not have auto attack at all though. You want to attack, you attack.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    About the second picture where your character is in the water.  I couldn't help but laugh seeing the gold seller in the chat box.  Not that this is unique to this MMO.  

I have made a comment in the Wish List forum thread about how if SoE can completely remove ad spam from chat/tells/mail a few years ago with this filter system they have in place, I can't see why other companies can't.

Gold seller spam was in the 2 week closed beta test invite I was in. It is terrible in the Alignment chat. You are constantly blacklisting sdfddsgh, saaahdyid, babyeylsy, llsighy, etc just to read real people talking.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

I don't understand some of the article comments such as the payment model and paying for loot you already earned.

I haven't had to pay for anything I got from quests or drops.

The game will be free to play. There are various methods to gain stuff via playing the game or getting the usual boosts that other games give by paying with real money.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    BGO is nothing like Wushu.  The two games couldn't be more different.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I enjoy it very much but im also holding back in investing too much time as some things need to fixed and the roadmap is not clear.

1. EU servers: to reduce lag and have events at EU friendly times
    2. PVE servers: Tired of getting PK'ed in zones for PVE. I do enjoy the battlefield though.
    3. Gold seller spam: Has to stop soon. Should have been taken care of in design phase.
    4. 2 more races and 4 more classes to come, but when?.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Steampunk is one of the reason most won't play this game. Really IMHO if your gonna mix tech and magic do it right with modern day or sci-fi tech like Shadowrun Steam punk just seems to be so 1800 muskets and pistol acting like modern day automatic rifles and revolvers 

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I don't mind the steampunk in the game, sure it could be better but it is different. 

What is holding me back is the payment thing.  I have read 4 different versions about it so until they release the real details I am staying away.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by winter

Steampunk is one of the reason most won't play this game. Really IMHO if your gonna mix tech and magic do it right with modern day or sci-fi tech like Shadowrun Steam punk just seems to be so 1800 muskets and pistol acting like modern day automatic rifles and revolvers 

A lot of people really like Steampunk. It's a neat style. Even TSW which is modern has some Steampunk elements.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by bcbully

image with you, but love the fact you defend Wushu. I also love how you defend ESO no matter what.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Originally posted by winter

A lot of people really like Steampunk. It's a neat style. Even TSW which is modern has some Steampunk elements.

Maybe its just me being to picky but if your gonna have a flintlock single shot rifle shooting like a machinegun, or a single shot pistol firing like a automatic revolver you might as well make them modern day tech YMMV. Obviously all to their own.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by strawhat0981
    Originally posted by bcbully

image with you, but love the fact you defend Wushu. I also love how you defend ESO no matter what.

Man you should see my ESO forum post. You might think I was a hater ;) I try to keep it real.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

I read this and agree that it's probably an accurate short term assessment of the game.

Then I remember how this very same site trumpets ESO as being this great thing when both games are in exactly the same bucket.

Is this site just telling us what we want to read, where is the consistency in these reviews?

• siicAdelicsiicAdelic Member Posts: 31

You were very generous with this review.  

Very very generous.

• SandricSandric Member UncommonPosts: 103
    5 hours and an uninstall.  This was in CB and the game just felt meh.  Plus omg gold spam.  Literally the worst I have ever seen in any game.

Major or Current Characters
    AC - The Brute lvl 85 macer -HG (retired)
    SWG - Lihone Su'alkn Master Ranger/ MCH - Flurry (Retired)
    EVE - Sulone - Cruiser Lover (Retired)
    LOTRO - Sandric lvl 50 Burg (and others)- Brandywine (Retired)
    GW2 - Sandric lvl 80 Thief - Dragonbrand (Retired)
    NeverWinter - Sandric lvl 60 Rogue - Dragonshard (Retired)
    Archage - Sandric lvl 50 everything - Naima (Active)
    Others (Lots) (Retired)

• sLY4JsLY4J Member UncommonPosts: 84
    BGO was terrible in Alpha.. However open beta they made a LOT of improvements. It still needs a ton of work but the developers are really focusing on player input and hopefully they continue to do so. The game does a good job mixing elements in both traditional and action mmorpgs, so hopefully with more polish, it'll be good. It's definitely a different type of game in the F2P market. It's more traditional than Tera, but not as traditional than Rift. Falls in the middle.
  • JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251
    so its first impression pretty much my wildstar's first impression. another one i wont even bother dling even if its free.

edit: not really sure how a company that made Age of wushu managed to make yet another themepark clone but i guess they already had most assets ready so decided to cash in a bit, cant really blame them though :P

I remember reading about many sandbox features long time ago, but apparently they got rid of most of those so we ended up with... this, whatever it is :o)

wasnt this one supposed to have open world housing and some other kinks, but i suppose that was scrapped... because this world needs more games that have same or less features than wow does? 
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

did anyone at MMORPG.com have played Valve's Dota2 ?

i am asking cause there is the kingdom of pay for loot you have already earned, and none has any problem... I personally have problem and that's the reason i don't play often Dota2, and these chest rewards which i need key to open them i sell them for 0.01euros .. :p