Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the worst common feature in modern MMOs?

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by MadFrenchie
    Originally posted by Wighty
    Originally posted by bartliolio
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

The worst common feature is this...

So does this mean you'd prefer to have to speak to each npc individually to find out what their "quests" are? Not saying that's a bad thing, but this is a feature that's even bled into traditional RPGS and Action RPGS. 

What is the alternative you'd prefer?

In the days of old, NPC's used to have dialogue with you as you walked by... Think DAOC, EQ... It was not voiced but you saw a chat bubble or test indicating they had something to say besides "nice weather today"

This makes moving through town and engaging NPCs have purpose other than playing connect the dots or in this case "!"

That's a MUCH better system than the exclamation points.  But then people would actually have to pay attention, because it wouldn't be a gaudy color that looks extremely out of place in the game world for the sole purpose of getting the player's attention.

Because that's what it's come to.

I believe that this bright, pos above the heads of npcs was the beginning of the end.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395

removal of grouping/social interaction

- Pretty much this has taken the massively multiplayer right out of MMO's.  Glorified single player lobby games is what the genre keeps heading towards and many people seem to be completely ok with it.  Most of them, I would bet, never played during the prime time of MMO's, so they have no idea what they're missing.  This also takes away from hard content and fosters the instant gratification crowd rather than the long term MMO gamer.

Raids/15min dungeons should not be the first and only grouping experience in a game that is MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Loot drops.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Instancing.  It is not an MMO when you are by yourself or just with your group in an instance.  I understand the reasons for it, but for me the negatives outweigh the positives when it comes to instances.
  • DeathFromAboveDeathFromAbove Member UncommonPosts: 112
    l don't like cash shops, and l don't really care for personal stories to last so long or have them at all, because why should you group when you have to do your personal story all the way to your level cap. Everybody is busy doing their own thing and so are you.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Daily quests is my top one as well. It is just lazy devs who want to add many hours grinding with little work for them.

There are also features that ain't bad in themselves but  are overused or used in the completely wrong way. Like cut scenes and phasing. Phasing was brilliantly used in LOTRO to simulate that certain cities were destroyed as you progressed in the timeline but other games use it to split up the players and making me feel alone.

Cutscenes can be used to set the mode for telling the main story and if they are short, to introduce some new things but many games overuse them so that instead of adding to the immersion they break it and annoy the #¤%& out of me while doing it.

These 2 features used now and then are good but when you overuse them it totally screws up the game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

One of the beast actually. Instead of playing something actually one had to ask 99 npc before getting something usefull info.

Most hated or disliked are: being forced to use WASD instead of mouse to move, only 1 toolbar for active skills, 1st person view ....

From rest what I hate are mondatory daily quests, "random dynamic events", ... etc ... because nothing beats old good quests Wow style.

Never liked cash shops.

Hated to do regular quest chain that ended with ultra elite boss. And nobody to be found around to help, chatting for hours some time trying to get help, ...

There are many things ... but for me all main games developed to better. It is impossible everyone would love every change ... but as long as I have Wow, Swtor, ... my gaming needs are covered. Only games I can immagine to play to end of my days. :-)

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Trinity

Shallow strategy and combat systems.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Not just dailies but daily caps because sometimes I have time to power game and can't when I'm capped.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

instances...

Playing an MMORPG i want to be part of a huge world not a small instance of 30 people..

That and cash shops/f2p games... please bring back subs..

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Nadia

private instancing / phasing

- where you can see only your group and no one else

Instancing no one else can enter.

Honorable Mention: Lobby games or cluttered narrow tube worlds

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Naturally everyone has their own view on what is the worst feature in most MMOs. Mine is rather different.

For me its the 3rd person view.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Limited skill sets.

Why give my 20+ abilities if I can only equip 4 to 8 at a time.  This load out concept is borrowed from the FPS world, and gives the veneer of complexity when it does nothing but limit experimentation and promotes cookie cutter builds.  There is almost no room for situational abilities because I need to have the action bar that gives me the most damage, or the most flexibility.

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

Either linear character progression (aka no customization, aka classes, aka cookie cutter builds, aka 3 stupid talent trees)

or...

Cashshops...ugh...so annoying....so expensive...so game breaking on so many levels.

~I am Many~

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

The account login screen... there I said it.  Dare I be the one to expose the truth!  The number one flaw in any game is the game itself.  

They should have a warning screen instead...  "Enter this game at your own risk!  Be forewarned that others in this game will attempt to harass you with guild invites, gold spam, Chuck Norris jokes, ganking, and whatever else they can dream up of.  If you build a house, they will burn it down.  If you plant a farm, they will desecrate it.  If you put up an auction, they will undercut it.  If you enter a battleground, they will all stand around until it ends.  You will be phased, instanced, cloned, and whatever else is necessary to make the game appear playable, populated, or full.  We reserve the right to nerf anything and everything at will, change the direction of the game at any time, and change the business model when it financially suits us.  Welcome to Hello Kitty Online!"

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Foobarx

The account login screen... there I said it.  Dare I be the one to expose the truth!  The number one flaw in any game is the game itself.  

They should have a warning screen instead...  "Enter this game at your own risk!  Be forewarned that others in this game will attempt to harass you with guild invites, gold spam, Chuck Norris jokes, ganking, and whatever else they can dream up of.  If you build a house, they will burn it down.  If you plant a farm, they will desecrate it.  If you put up an auction, they will undercut it.  If you enter a battleground, they will all stand around until it ends.  You will be phased, instanced, cloned, and whatever else is necessary to make the game appear playable, populated, or full.  We reserve the right to nerf anything and everything at will, change the direction of the game at any time, and change the business model when it financially suits us.  Welcome to Hello Kitty Online!"

First....lol.

Second...I wanna change my answer already. THIS^^^^

~I am Many~

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by bartliolio

So does this mean you'd prefer to have to speak to each npc individually to find out what their "quests" are? Not saying that's a bad thing, but this is a feature that's even bled into traditional RPGS and Action RPGS. 

What is the alternative you'd prefer?

I have always love Anarchy onlines mission terminals. Or a quest npc directing you to someone else who needs help. But that would mean adding more text or voice over work.  But the wow way is cheaper. And makes rushing threw a bunch of quest in a area easier. No need to read anything.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

quest hubs, instancing in any form, general chat, dungeon finders, classes, CC, stealth, and these generic loot systems.

Random loot needs to be the future, see Asherons Call for details on how to make a loot system.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

the fact that every player will save the world

global market

instanced zones

levels

armor restrictions

RvR pvp

is there any MMORPG which don't include these? yes like Black Desert online, EVE online

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Foobarx

They should have a warning screen instead...  "Enter this game at your own risk!  Be forewarned that others in this game will attempt to harass you with guild invites, gold spam, Chuck Norris jokes, ganking, and whatever else they can dream up of.  If you build a house, they will burn it down.  If you plant a farm, they will desecrate it.  If you put up an auction, they will undercut it.  If you enter a battleground, they will all stand around until it ends.  

You will be phased, instanced, cloned, and whatever else is necessary to make the game appear playable, populated, or full.

We reserve the right to nerf anything and everything at will, change the direction of the game at any time, and change the business model when it financially suits us. 

heh - i remember thinking to myself when i picked up EQ box back in 1999 at a local EBgame store

online gaming will lead you down the white rabbit hole ..

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

What is the worst common feature in modern MMOs?

Casual players.  They have caused everything which is wrong with open world MMO's today.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

For me its quest hubs, hands down. I dont understand the logic in creating an entire game world only to have it play out like levels/boards similar to Nintendo games from the 80's, the only difference being 3D and a false sense of freedom. Is it unrealistic of me to believe that with all the knowledge gained and resources spent on these games we cant get a game world that actually simulates and evolves? I dont know, wish in one hand, right?

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

It is the absence of any sense of a world, exploration or discovery.  

Every corner of the map is filled with trivial tasks that scream at you like a child after candy.  All modern mmo's seem to be designed for sufferers of ADHD.  

As part of the absence of a world I would add; the overuse of fast travel and the overuse of systems such as dungeon finders which essentially turn mmo's into lobby based games. 

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

^^this

and leveling..do away with it ..not every mmorpg that is made HAS to have a leveling system ..oh and open world pvp servers added with pve only servers

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

^^this

and leveling..do away with it ..not every mmorpg that is made HAS to have a leveling system ..oh and open world pvp servers added with pve only servers

I can't understand why levels still exist in many mmo's.  Dam, you have mmo's such as GW2 that arbitrarily alter levels to suit the area you are in- if levels are that fucking pointless, why have them in the first place???