Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 7 million sold

MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

So, GW2 is doing okay, I guess.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2a5x4x/guild_wars_2_sells_38_million_in_china_in_2/ has a translation of http://gw2.17173.com/content/2014-07-04/20140704155902215.shtml

7 million isn't bad numbers, even if over half of it is technically mostly money for a Chinese company (Sort of like all the WoW sales that go into a Chinese company's pockets).

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Meowhead

So, GW2 is doing okay, I guess.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2a5x4x/guild_wars_2_sells_38_million_in_china_in_2/ has a translation of http://gw2.17173.com/content/2014-07-04/20140704155902215.shtml

7 million isn't bad numbers, even if over half of it is technically mostly money for a Chinese company (Sort of like all the WoW sales that go into a Chinese company's pockets).

I got two copies and haven't logged in since like month one of launch.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Betaguy

So only 6,999,998 copies count.  Got it. :)

... notice I didn't make any claim as to how many were active players, just saying the amount of copies sold.  Two totally different things. :)

• FuerchtegottFuerchtegott Member Posts: 79

I am not sure what you're saying... that you are proud of to have purchased two copies of a game you haven't played since launch (or one month after launch)?
     Man, I'd be sorry for the money even if it had been just one copy.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Fuerchtegott

I am not sure what you're saying... that you are proud of to have purchased two copies of a game you haven't played since launch (or one month after launch)?
     Man, I'd be sorry for the money even if it had been just one copy.

What happened is I forgot my original account info and wasn't going through all the hoopla to get it back so bought a new copy and created a new account when some other friends wanted to try it a month or so after release.

@Meowhead - Also I understand about the copies sold vs active players and know you were not comparing the two.  I was merely pointing out the fact that is all.

-T

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Unlike with a certain other game we are getting numbers here and those numbers are looking good.

Immediately the haters jump in to trash talk this game.

Ohhhh so unexpected

Harbinger of Fools
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Well active subs does matter because like you said OP its "I guess it's doing well" when in reality less than a mil active users out of a 7 million pool is not exactly doing well. 

They certainly made their money back, but is it doing well at this moment? I'd say not. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    That is fantastic congratulations to Arenanet.
    Chamber of Chains
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Well active subs does matter because like you said OP its "I guess it's doing well" when in reality less than a mil active users out of a 7 million pool is not exactly doing well. 

They certainly made their money back, but is it doing well at this moment? I'd say not. 

I'm really curious where you are getting your numbers from. Especially cause the link clearly says 3.5 mil new accounts were made in China.

But apparently you have insider knowledge that proves that all those Chinese instantly left the game again?

Harbinger of Fools
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

This is more about GW2 selling well in China than anything else, because its Western sales haven't been updated for a while. Still, it's nice, I suppose. I guess the majority of ANet's current income comes from gem sales.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Lovely facts you've got there.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

So only 6,999,998 copies count.  Got it. :)

... notice I didn't make any claim as to how many were active players, just saying the amount of copies sold.  Two totally different things. :)

i login back after long time    500 ppls in my guild and 0 online :/

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I'll be honest, I have 4 copies of the game. Having each character on a different account is a great way to get around all their daily restrictions. since you can pickup the game for $5 out of the bargain bin at Wal-Mart it's really not that expensive either. A few of my friends have 8 copies of the game, one for each character class.

7.3 million copies is impressive never the less.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its 3.8M characters, not 3.8M units sold.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Uh.... no?

It's 3.8 million accounts.  :I

Originally posted by Ludwik
    I'll be honest, I have 4 copies of the game. Having each character on a different account is a great way to get around all their daily restrictions. since you can pickup the game for $5 out of the bargain bin at Wal-Mart it's really not that expensive either. A few of my friends have 8 copies of the game, one for each character class.

7.3 million copies is impressive never the less.

I.... what?  I'd like to see the receipt for that 5 dollar GW2 game.  Secondly, no offense to your friends, but if they buy 8 copies of the game so they can have one of each character class, they are... I'm not sure the politest way to put this.

... slightly mentally challenged? :(  You have 5 character slots per account.  Sure, i could see two copies of the game (Though that's awkward when it comes to all the disadvantages with account bound things)... but one per class?  I'm going to just assume you're either making things up, or your friends have never played any MMORPG but FFXI and assume that single character slots is the only way they work. :(

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Dunno whats the problem,maybe OP knows but my advice is that maybe they  should dop box-price and only milk money with cash shop and hope they get more players.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    Maybe they can start using the money from those sales to make the game good. 

Spoken like a person who's never played it

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Shaigh

Uh.... no?

It's 3.8 million accounts.  :I

Its a census on the population, and if you check both links you will notice that the chinese article has no mentions of there being 3.8M accounts, that's only on the reddit article.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Originally posted by DMKano

Good numbers but 3.8 sold in china is not the same as 3.8 sold in US/EU - as far as profits.

When converted to USD - the game in China is ~ $14 (without discounts) - after discounts, and all the sales tax China gets - I'd be surprised if Anet is getting even $5 off each sale in the end.

So that's something to consider, but still some cash is better than zero cash.

Once you consider that those 3.8mil players roughly equal to 380K US players as far as actual profits, it's a lot less impressive

You know, I probably should have said something about that in the original post!  Like maybe if I had said...

'7 million isn't bad numbers, even if over half of it is technically mostly money for a Chinese company (Sort of like all the WoW sales that go into a Chinese company's pockets).'

... oh wait, yes, I did say that. :)  And I don't know if Arenanet even gets 5 dollars.  You figure:  Money for Chinese company, money for Chinese government, money for NCSoft.... Arenanet would be lucky to get 5 dollars per user when it's all said and done. :(

It's purely a statement of numbers of accounts.  Just like people claiming 'WoW subscription count = 15 dollars per month per player into Blizzard's pocket', when Blizzard only get a fraction of the Chinese money.  They're =users=, but they're not as big of a financial boost, it's true!

Originally posted by DMKano

I know you said that - I just wanted to bring up the actual $14 retail price in China before taxes and discounts - that's all.

That's actually little enough cash (Per box) I'm wondering what sort of cut NCSoft gets from the cash shop.  In China they have a pseudo-subscription thing going, where you can get a VIP service.  It actually reminds me of the freemium models that sub games that go F2P sometimes use.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458

yea its successful

but idc if they sold 7mil still no endgame  sux :D

and 70-80% ppls already left

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    And? SWTOR has had an increase of over 10 million players since going F2P, in the west alone. I will never understand anyone mentioning copies sold/accounts registered when it comes to an MMO, esp one thats been out for close to 2 years, as if its some indication of how well a game is doing.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by doodphace
    I will never understand anyone mentioning copies sold/accounts registered when it comes to an MMO, esp one thats been out for close to 2 years, as if its some indication of how well a game is doing.

GW2 newly released to China  May 15, 2014

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-launches-in-china/

similar to how WOW released to China - 9 months after it released in US

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/5989/Blizzards_China_Success_Spawns_35_Million_WoW_Userbase.php

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Awesome news. Now lets use that money and make a top notch expansion we have been waiting for.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Nadia
    I will never understand anyone mentioning copies sold/accounts registered when it comes to an MMO, esp one thats been out for close to 2 years, as if its some indication of how well a game is doing.

GW2 newly released to China  May 15, 2014

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-launches-in-china/

similar to how WOW released to China - 9 months after it released in US

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/5989/Blizzards_China_Success_Spawns_35_Million_WoW_Userbase.php

That has nothing to do with what I said (notice I said 7 mil in close to 2 years, and not the 3.8 from China alone?) And it still doesn't change the fact that copies sold/account registered are 0 indication of how many people are playing a perticular MMO.

You have yet to not quote me with an off topic statement whenever I make a post on a GW2 thread that isnt specifically praising the game. I know you are just gonna reply stating that you were ``correcting me`` about my close to 2 years comment, even though its absolutly clear that the 7 mil number i was replying to in the OP was the totality of its ``sales`` since launch, and not china alone.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

That has nothing to do with what I said (notice I said 7 mil in close to 2 years, and not the 3.8 from China alone?) And it still doesn't change the fact that copies sold/account registered are 0 indication of how many people are playing a perticular MMO.

same goes for wow

active subs only mean paid accounts - not players actively playing

unless mmos are giving stats about their concurrent users  (which they rarely do)

they are all guilty of not showing active players