Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenimax Media Chairman and CEO is a Lawyer

13»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by TankYou88

Well here is the team of people who are working on Oculus. It looks like it was a collaboration. Both the founders of Oculus created a VR program while they were in collage. They also had a prototype when they showed Carmack early on. Their code is also open source for anyone to see if you want to look through it to find out if they are telling the truth. 

http://www.oculusvr.com/company/people/

my bad I thought that the implication was that carmack was writting code for Oculus during that time but hired by Zen.

Regardless it now looks like zen is going to have a hard time controlling VR anyway, Samsung is getting into as well with the same code from Oculus.

Zen just missed out

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    .......snip....

1. who wrote the code at Oculus while Carmack was at Zen. Dont assume please, do you know for sure? and did he do it on his own time or their time if he was the author. again, dont assume

2. I thought the mods randomly (as they often do) locked this thread.

Exactly don't assume. 

1 ~ You do not know if carmick used anything he worked on when he was with zenimax.

2 ~ Do you know for sure zenimas is in the right and not just looking to muscle into some money like a good troll? Like you're fond of saying don't assume.

3 ~ Robert A Altman has a shady past which puts zenimax claims in some doubt.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by Asm0deus
    .......snip....

1. who wrote the code at Oculus while Carmack was at Zen. Dont assume please, do you know for sure? and did he do it on his own time or their time if he was the author. again, dont assume

Exactly don't assume. 

1 ~ You do not know if carmick used anything he worked on when he was with zenimax.

2 ~ Do you know for sure zenimas is in the right and not just looking to muscle into some money like a good troll? Like you're fond of saying don't assume.

that is EXACTLY right. which is also why the exact opposite is true.

A close inspection on my posts makes it clear that I dont care who is at fault. My ONLY concern is that if Zen wins they will fuck up VR because they didnt have the vision to continue to do R&D on it in the first place. I dont want a company who has not a fucking clue what they own to own VR.

• Recon0303Recon0303 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find dirt on every game developer and CEO.  

Being a gamer and a developer I find this offensive ..    That is a broad statement.. That is like saying, all gamers are whiners and want all games for free...   So the point is , not all devs, and CEO have dirt.... That is crap..

• KeatlorienKeatlorien Member Posts: 37

I hope the developers get a clue and realize that there is a market for an mmo about the law. The player base has matured. We have refined our tastes!

Why would you want to slay an Orc when you could just sue it?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

2. I thought the mods randomly (as they often do) locked this thread

I don't assume anything. Like I said, the lawsuit will hopefully show the truth. I don't assume Zenimax is in the right, or their CEO is some corrupt being, or Carmack is in the right, or Occulus is in the right, or Facebook is in the right. I simply assume the lawsuit will draw this to a definitive close and Zenimax acted in a way pretty much any business would.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    .......snip....

Exactly don't assume. 

A close inspection on my posts makes it clear that I dont care who is at fault. My ONLY concern is that if Zen wins they will fuck up VR because they didnt have the vision to continue to do R&D on it in the first place. I dont want a company who has not a fucking clue what they own to own VR.

Again keep to what you claim, you are assuming that if zenimax wins it will fuck up VR.  I would go on but ..just read what cleffy posted in post #57.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by TankYou88
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Altman

Robert A. Altman

"Altman is a lawyer. He became part of the company BCCI. During his time there he was accused of helping the business buy an American bank and lying to US regulators about it. In 1992, he was indicted for eight felony charges in New York. Altman maintained that he himself was duped by the bank. He was acquitted of all charges, although he did agree to be banned from banking to settle a civil suit by the Federal Reserve."

Just a little info to think about when thinking of the case of zenimax vs oculus.  Make of it what you will.

And inb4 the "you are bias and have an agenda", I dont really care.  What I can say is I love bethesda games and Id Softwares Rage and Doom.

Haha 1992!!!  Boy as more and more info about this lawsuit comes out the oculus backers are really stretching to smear Zenimax.  Just because you are backing a potential shady company (Oculus) doesn't mean it's credible to make a silly attempt at smearing Zenimax.  

two questions

what is shady about Oculus?

are they more shady then Zenimax?

Oh you know they crowd funded made millions turned around and sold technology they stole for $2 BILLION.  That's pretty shady in most people books.  

One question what is Shady about Zenimax?  

Have you ever invested money in a company? Watch some shark tank to get a basic understand of how it works. People invest in companies and later sell them all the time. The person who invested get what was agreed upon. Nothing shady its called capitalism, which is guess you could call shady.

people invest in companies all the time that get bought and sold and often times the price of the stock goes up when such transactions happen.

if you think the buying and selling of companies is shady then you think our entire market place is shady which might be a valid point but its for a different conversation

The shady part you two business majors missed was the part about selling potential stolen technology.  

Meh, Facebook will prevail, your argument is invalid. They only sued Oculus after they were bought by Facebook. It's sad though. Guess they can't accept the fact that their MMO they invested so much in tanked. *Guess we have to sue few companies now*. Does that remind you of someone? Perhaps Apple? What's your opinion on them? xD

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Innocent until proven guilty.

/Thread

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Meh, Facebook will prevail, your argument is invalid. They only sued Oculus after they were bought by Facebook. It's sad though. Guess they can't accept the fact that their MMO they invested so much in tanked. *Guess we have to sue few companies now*. Does that remind you of someone? Perhaps Apple? What's your opinion on them? xD

Heh, I wouldn't certainly hope within the legal system, they look a bit deeper into it than you just did.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_A._Altman

Robert A. Altman

"Altman is a lawyer. He became part of the company BCCI. During his time there he was accused of helping the business buy an American bank and lying to US regulators about it. In 1992, he was indicted for eight felony charges in New York. Altman maintained that he himself was duped by the bank. He was acquitted of all charges, although he did agree to be banned from banking to settle a civil suit by the Federal Reserve."

Just a little info to think about when thinking of the case of zenimax vs oculus.  Make of it what you will.

And inb4 the "you are bias and have an agenda", I dont really care.  What I can say is I love bethesda games and Id Softwares Rage and Doom.

Haha 1992!!!  Boy as more and more info about this lawsuit comes out the oculus backers are really stretching to smear Zenimax.  Just because you are backing a potential shady company (Oculus) doesn't mean it's credible to make a silly attempt at smearing Zenimax.  

The truth shall set them free...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

.......snip....

Exactly don't assume. 

Again keep to what you claim, you are assuming that if zenimax wins it will fuck up VR.  I would go on but ..just read what cleffy posted in post #57.

1. those are not the assumptions you are posting. The assumptions you are posting above are NOT related to zenimax fucking up VR if they should win. Your bias to attack me is open. you should zip it up.

2. of course its an assumption, you just pointed out the obvious. what is your point in that respect?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Myria

What part of "acquitted of all charges" was unclear?

in 1998, Altman did pay a 5 million settlement (in stocks) to the Feds in the BCCI case

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/04/business/clifford-and-altman-settle-with-fed-over-bcci.html

but yes he was acquitted in 1993 of conspiracy charges

This discussion has been closed.