Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most underrated MMO??

velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

Whats your top 5 underrated MMO's? This is my list.

1. The Secret World

2. SWTOR

3. Rift

4. Tera

5. ESO

Secret World has to top my list, that game has done some great changes to the genre, most noticeably its set in modern day. It has some great storytelling, and i love the assembly system. 

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Mabinogi.

I really don't see anything special happening with western developers. The Secret World to me is just another mmo with a different skin and something done in eastern mmos for quite some time. As a person who plays a lot of western and eastern mmos, the only one that really stands out to me as underrated is Mabinogi. The others I think have earned all the success they should have if not more.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Wurm Online

Darkfall

Fallen Eartth

sorry that is all I got (3). I play one given MMO far to long to have aquired a list of 5 under rated ones. I typically play one for multiple years.

I think the most over-rated one is Eve by the way. A game I like but is over-rated

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• shadowman465shadowman465 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Actually really enjoyed Allods Online.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    1. Rift
    2. Lord of the Rings Online
    3. The Secret World
    4. Champions Online
    5. Age of Wushu
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Cleffy
    Mabinogi.I really don't see anything special happening with western developers. The Secret World to me is just another mmo with a different skin and something done in eastern mmos for quite some time. As a person who plays a lot of western and eastern mmos, the only one that really stands out to me as underrated is Mabinogi. The others I think have earned all the success they should have if not more.

I'll second Mabinogi, and add Ryzom.

• yachtclubyachtclub Member Posts: 1

Hey,

Personally I would recommend the addition of Never Winter to the list. Really nice game, follows the DoD storyline pretty closely (for those of you really interested in it.)

Also I would have to say that a game I personally play, Seafight, is underrated, a good game when ever you want to get on and start getting into stuff, always something to work on. Keeps me busy while I program and forum crawl!

Let me know what you think of it if you play it! image

Regards,
    ~YachtClub~
    Check out:
    Rules!
    FAQ!

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by velmax

1. The Secret World

2. SWTOR

3. Rift

4. Tera

5. ESO

Secret World has to top my list, that game has done some great changes to the genre, most noticeably its set in modern day. It has some great storytelling, and i love the assembly system. 

You just listed a ton of games that get a ton of mainstream press and coverage...

As for TSW, it didn't bring changes to the genre, it just told some super scripted singleplayer style quests in instances, just like SWTOR. It's barely an MMO.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

I agree with SWTOR for all the hate it seems to get it's one of the best mmos on the market.

Firefall might make the list if all their new content coming actually turns it into a game. It's really fun to play for a few days but has so little to do right now it gets boring quick. I hope they've finally addressed that.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

My top 5 are:

1. Asheron's Call
    2. Asheron's Call
    3. Asheron's Call
    4. Asheron's Call
    5. Neverwinter

AC was truly revolutionary in that it was the first game that featured full fledged RPG like quests.  Quests that took brains, timing, skill and coordination to pull off.  On top of this it was the first MMO that allowed the player to be a hybrid type of character and to actually encouraged solo-ability.  It didn't bog you down in messy groups (although grouping was heavily incentivized) It also allowed you to acquire the best gear purely by chance without having to organize messy raids (and yet raids were heavily incentivized as well...we called them multi-group dungeons).  It was an economics major best MMO, the economy revolved almost monthly from Shards, to MMD's and every thing in between.  There was no auction house but there was a central location for players to meet and trade, barter and haggle.  It also featured instant teleportation but unlike so...so many MMO's today, you only had access to 2 portal ties.  It meant that in order for a player to fast travel they had to meet others to accommodate their needs.  It featured a revolving monthly story content update but it didn't try to say YOU were the hero, it required servers to work together to solve complex quests, ward off ferocious attacks from invading AI and to band together for the greater good.  It also had the best 1v1 PvP system in the genre to this date, no other MMO can compare to the epic battles one could have.  In short it was what I think every MMO should emulate but because it was not heavily advertised like EQ it fell short of garnering a greater share of the player base.

Lastly Neverwinter even though it's heavily expensive cash shop retains the best combat system in the genre.  An Asheron's Call remake with Neverwinter style combat would be my ideal MMO. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BlecodBlecod Member UncommonPosts: 43
    I would say Maplestory.
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Under rated? Mabinogi for sure. It's one of the best MMOs I have ever played, but not many people know about it, or play it. Most people who take a look judge it before they even try it. Some judge it with in the first hour or so.

Truth be told, it has a great celtic mythological story line and is one of the first MMO games to attempt a somewhat action style of combat rather then just click and character auto attacks. It also amazed me how monsters and character can get flung backwards when hit hard and can even fall down. Most MMO games don't do that type of thing.

The other amazing thing about it, is how unique you can make your character look.

Down side is, I started when it was close to first released in NA. So everybody I knew is gone lol. Even though I no longer play it as much as I used to, it's still a great game. Especially for a F2P game.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

For me it's:

1) The Secret World.

2) Star Wars the Old Republic.

3) Defiance.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This is a hard one as we all like different types of mmorpg..

For me then..

1. The origional Darkfall  - was really a great game and had tons of fun playing it from release until it closed.

2. Mortal online - Due to a nasty buggy release and sausage lake people dont go near this even ones who like hardcore MMORPGs.. SV are not the best company but they have had limited resources but are slowly pushing out updates and making the game better.

3. Age OF Conan - Again due to a very buggy launch people generalyl ingnore this game.. its a shame as its one of the best themepark MMOs on the market and one of the best looking as well.

4. Fallen Earth - Well again this one has passed by with not many people paying attention to it .. another shame really as the game has a lot to offer and the peopel currently running it and putting in a ton of new features all the time.

Cant really think of another .. well there we go that is my list but like i said we all enjoy different things.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

1. Therian Saga

2. Gloria Victis

3. Albion Online

4. The Repopulation

5. EVE Online

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Swtor would be near the top of my list. Game got crushed when it came out but when you look around and compare it to what has come since, I think it stands above them all.
  • DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56

DDO & Fallen Earth.

I haven't played enough MMOs lately to suggest anything else.

D

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Dihoru

1. Therian Saga

i'll try it - thank you

• TsuekasaTsuekasa Member Posts: 4

1.Age of conans open world pvp was bomb.

2. Anarchy online

3. Everquest 2

4. Aion

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by Dihoru

1. Therian Saga

2. Gloria Victis

3. Albion Online

4. The Repopulation

5. EVE Online

You have a weird list.

EvE one of the highest rated mmos of all time is underrated ?

3 of those games are still in development and haven't had a chance for people to even play them yet.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Perpetuum Online

LotRO

Tera

Secret World

Star Trek Online

• EleGouldingEleGoulding Member Posts: 2

This game.

• GamerdorkGamerdork Member Posts: 4
    Eq2
    Aion
    Rift
    Tera
    Dragons nest
  • CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    Originally posted by velmax

1. The Secret World

2. SWTOR

3. Rift

4. Tera

5. ESO

You just listed a ton of games that get a ton of mainstream press and coverage...

As for TSW, it didn't bring changes to the genre, it just told some super scripted singleplayer style quests in instances, just like SWTOR. It's barely an MMO.

Yeah.  Underrated doesn't mean "underperformed".  Those games had their chance to destroy sales charts and they didn't really do it but they're not "underrated".  People have heard of them and a lot of them actually got good reviews (as far as Tera and TSW, I can't see why but that's just me...)

Me, I'm going to go with WoW.  Totally underrated but I heard some people play it here and there.