Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Two Years of TSW

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Two years of The Secret World. It hardly seems true. Though it is still a baby next to its Funcom brothers Age of Conan and Anarchy Online The Secret World has certainly had an exciting life so far. We’ve faced the end of the world while cowering in our basement, there has been controversy, there has been terror, there has been joy, and artists have been given freedom to run wild. All of this happening while the MMO is still learning to walk.

Read more of Shannon Doyle's The Secret World: Two Years of TSW.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

happy B-day TSW !

I don't care for stories,puzzles,voice acting,cut scenes but still enjoying in that game ,awesome setting,rp-ing,dungeons ...

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

It is still somewhere on my Steam list.

"One day I will play it" - said every Steam user.

In all seriousness, I am glad it has got as far as it has.  I hope that Funcom is happy with where it sits.  It probably wasn't as successful as they hoped but it is a gem in diluted MMO library.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Great column, thanks for it.

"In the pantheon of Geek Gods sits Hugo Weaving for films, Gene Roddenberry for Star Trek though more generally television, Isaac Asimov for books, and Ragnar Tørnquist for games."

image Ragnar  image  Though they're great guys too, I'd still switch Hugo with Kevin Smith and GR with JMS (Babylon 5).

"Though I will admit I had no idea who he was when The Secret World was first announced"  /booo  ( no offence ;) )

"I ask you, dear reader, what has been the highlight of your career in The Secret World?" the first solution of Digging Deeper, probably in one of the Betas. I knew right away that this game will be awesome.

(which reminds me: Everything is Awesome! kudos for the nice tie-in to FC's newest member of the game stable :) )

• markh777markh777 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Now if they could bring Anarchy Online up to speed with the *cough* new engine *cough*
  • szperaczszperacz Member UncommonPosts: 6

Awesome game! It's worth to try only for story itself.

My personal the best of 2y?

I meet a lot of wonderful people ingame. We still enjoy playing together :-) salut

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I've been back playing the game again recently for the Anniversary event. Been a lot of fun running around chasing Golems.

The black Lore for the Tokyo golem should be fixed on Wednesday too with every bag dropping one piece of lore in addition to it's normal loot.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    This is the only game I have ever played with no dungeon finder where I can easily find a low QL dungeon group as a DPS. Why that is, beats me, but it seems the lower QLs (levels) are always packed.
  • KotorezKotorez Member Posts: 6
    2 years in and still no vsync.
  • KaazKaaz Member Posts: 18

my personal favourite thing from the last two years:

my discovery of the lore forum and the depths they delve into the background of TSW.

all the slight subtle hints that point where things are going that have been in game since the start.

• AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    This was such an amazing game. I loved the storyline. It's not been enough to hold me at endgame, but this is a must play MMO for the storyline... Which you can do that part all F2P now.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

::::CONGRATS:::

well deserved!- i know they are on vacation-and they sure have earned it!!!! lookingforward to see what the rest of the year will bring us!!!

-cheers!

• TownfoolTownfool Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Don't know why,  I play other MMORPGs but I keep returning back. It is just a refreshing world to visit. Kudos Funcom!!!
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

We can say a lot about Funcom. Good and bad.

But they truly are the only studio that has the guts to try doing something different than the mainstream!

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

Happy Birthday TSW! :)

Yeah, it's time to go back.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Happy birthday TSW!

This is by far the most underrated MMORPG in the genre. Yes, the combat feels clunky to most people. But to me, the atmosphere, setting, writing, and unique gameplay more than make up for that shortcoming.

<3

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Combat just turns me off completely.  No matter how good the atmosphere, voiceovers or quests, I just find it mind numbingly tedious to skill up in this game via combat.  A complete combat overhaul would have me back in a second.  Otherwise, I end up coming back to the game in hopes that it's changed enough but then I find I stop playing after a day or 2.  That's not good.
  • UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

I keep hearing people complain about it's combat -- I just don't get it.  I started playing a few days ago (when Wildstar went insane and ban customers who owned the game for 3 days).  TSW combat is refreshing next to most of the games I've played lately.  I find myself enjoying it.

Pretty solid game so far.  I played in beta, but never joined until now.  Glad I did.  Recommend this game.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    The combat felt good to me at first in the first month too, then I got deeper into the game and it got annoying and tedious and now I can't stand playing it, it feels very one dimensional and killing mobs takes way too long.  The TTK ration is a bit high in this game.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by elocke
    The combat felt good to me at first in the first month too, then I got deeper into the game and it got annoying and tedious and now I can't stand playing it, it feels very one dimensional and killing mobs takes way too long.  The TTK ration is a bit high in this game.

If you tried FFXIV, then the TTK in TSW is nothing compared to that.

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by elocke
    Combat just turns me off completely.  No matter how good the atmosphere, voiceovers or quests, I just find it mind numbingly tedious to skill up in this game via combat.  A complete combat overhaul would have me back in a second.  Otherwise, I end up coming back to the game in hopes that it's changed enough but then I find I stop playing after a day or 2.  That's not good.

Yeah, I understand this. The same happens to me, I'm even a lifetimer, but the combat irritates me and makes my hand joints and fingers hurt real bad.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

happy B-day TSW !

I don't care for stories,puzzles,voice acting,cut scenes but still enjoying in that game ,awesome setting,rp-ing,dungeons ...

I enjoy all above but puzzles which I truly hate, but main reason I stopped short of reaching half levels up with my alts is dumb decision (which many however will prize) to have only 1 toolbar with only 7 active keys. Hate button mashing. Same problem with Wildstar. If not for that would still be around I guess from time to time.

• KarazulKarazul Member CommonPosts: 39
    This was the only MMO that trully made me care about the story and missions... I like the combat, the feel, the dungeons, the raids, the community (the best imo)... I hope the game continue to develop for at least 10 more years. Happy birthday TSW!
  • eapenstereapenster Member Posts: 5

well the highlight of my tsw life was when I joined I met this awesome player who helped me through polaris and he solod  it long ago . now I can do it easily and I help new players through it like someone once helped me ... I think the players name was Goozee or something never saw him again after a month or so. guess he shifted mmo's but am still here :-) love the game the story and the need to not grind if you don't want to.

• eapenstereapenster Member Posts: 5
    oo if  u mean finding a group for dungeons u can use group finder from the menu or join the sanctuary chat group with a lot of helpful people . or if you are going for nightmares and want a friendly group there is a chat channel called noobmares were people do help u through them as well.
  • primetheusprimetheus Member UncommonPosts: 28

this is the only game ive ever payed for a lifetime membership for and I don't have 1 single regret its still a unique gaming experience with some truly challenging puzzles and hard fights.

It's a little light on endgame type content but this game is built around that each event and content update supply enough for me to play maybe once or twice a week for a couple of hours without feeling the need to log in at dawn and out at dusk.

I'm currently playing ESO as my main mmo but TSW has and probably allways will be my escape the grind goto mmo

Congrats funcom and the team look forward to commenting on the next 10-20 birthdays