Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your biggest complaints?

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Wildstar is an oddity to me. I liked it when I made a char, I enjoyed the questing at first, the housing was cool, the humor was ok, but at the same time the game annoyed the hell out of me in a way I can t really describe. My wife felt the exact same way, and we said it to each other almost on sync. I really can t explain it as it is a good game, but annoying at the same time. I couldn t sub to a game that I want to come home and relax in, when I actually just got annoyed and would log out.

100% how I feel.

Great gameplay, fun classes, cool housing, lots of content, amazing soundtrack, a well rounded MMO but after about 25-30 hours of gameplay it starts to make your skin itch.

Kind of like crabs - or something.

I hate to use the misnomer that it's a WoW clone.  But it's a WoW clone.  That skin itch is because it's exactly like eveyr MMO released over the last 8+ years.

I think anyone who is like me and these posters come to realize that you can argue till your blue in the face about what makes a WoW clone but for me Wildstar felt EXACTLY like every MMO game I've tried over the last 8 years.  Linear questing, easy leveling, boring solo gameplay.  Too me this is the essence of a WoW clone.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CoffeeBreakCoffeeBreak Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by CoffeeBreak
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    I feel like 90% of the people on this forum don't even play MMOs, they just sit around complaining and hoping for the holy grail.

A lot of the comments on this site will make you wonder.  It's strange reading all the complaints about the leveling grind and generic questing when the diversity of objectives may actually surpass Wow.  The leveling speed is pretty fast too.  Have two 50s and only play a couple hours a night.  You'd think if they had so much of a problem with Wildstar's "boring grind" then most themepark mmos(wow, rift, tera, eq2, eso, aoc, tsw, gw2, swtor, etc) would be completely unbearable.

Now for my biggest complain....I don't really like the Adventures and I'm not sure why they are part of the "Endgame" progression.  They're not particularly exciting or difficult.  Just time consuming and get pretty boring after a couple times.

How is this hard to understand? Questing is one of the few leveling paths that remain fluid from start to finish if handled properly. Everything else involves running the same few options over and over again (BG's and Dungeons) or mob grinding. Those options are fine for those making a beeline toward endgame content, yet they add little substance for those seeking a journey .

What are you comparing Wildstar to for your opinion?  Other mmos?  Single-player rpgs?  Nothing, just want to complain or argue?  You didn't even reply to the part you highlighted.  I said there was a lot of diversity in the quests and they weren't all generic.  Then you went on to talk about how questing was a option to level....

When leveling in Wildstar there are quests, tasks, challenges, zone events, world bosses, battlegrounds, shiphands, adventures, dungeons, path objectives, gathering/crafting, and housing.  If you were to change the 1-50 experience in Wildstar what would you add?

You said you find it hard to understand, why many of the complaints about wildstar revolve around it having very generic and bland quests. I simply explained why some would have a problem with that.

Based on what I saw when on a buddy pass I'd agree with those complaints.

What would I change? Nothing... I'd simply play something else.

Still not seeing where I said anything was hard to understand....misinformation on this site is never hard to understand.

It is strange that people who have actually played this game would think that the questing is more generic than other similar mmos.

Which mmo has less generic questing and why is the questing better?

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The game has generic quests (tasks) and high quality questlines and lore. However these complainers simply select every yellow ! They see, no wonder they are confused.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    It would probably be easier to list what isn't... Just doesn't have the hook most need to keep us wanting to play, same with many other great titles recently released.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    The game has generic quests (tasks) and high quality questlines and lore. However these complainers simply select every yellow ! They see, no wonder they are confused.

I may be misunderstanding the use of the word "generic".  When I think of generic quests I think of games like Tera.  You start a kill quest at level 1.  You continue to do kill quests in different environments for many hours.  Then you reach max level.

Then you have games like Wildstar.  You do kill enemies and collect stuff from them.  You also navigate terrain with super jump/run buffs and jetpacks, get shot out of cannons, blow up enemies as rhino bombs, sabotage enemies as a sheep, take out whole enemy camps in vehicles(bikes, tanks, mech), grapple across canyons.  You use a large assortment of quest specific weapons and abilites to defeat the enemies.  It's like what Wow tries to do.  It acknowledges there is only so much a game can do when your character can run, jump, attack, and click then makes the most of it.  I guess if this considered just generic kill/collection I'm not really sure what isn't. 

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

My biggest complaint? Outside of optimization issues it would have to be that it's overstimulating. Maybe it's because I am older? Not sure. Just feel like there is no safe place to rest my eyes and after an hour or two I feel like I drank too much coffee. I love the game, just not for extended play sessions. 

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Wildstar is an oddity to me. I liked it when I made a char, I enjoyed the questing at first, the housing was cool, the humor was ok, but at the same time the game annoyed the hell out of me in a way I can t really describe. My wife felt the exact same way, and we said it to each other almost on sync. I really can t explain it as it is a good game, but annoying at the same time. I couldn t sub to a game that I want to come home and relax in, when I actually just got annoyed and would log out.

Pretty much this.

This could end up being very interesting.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

How can you blame people for picking up the content they see around them? I just don't get it. People into quests are going to try out the quests, not a hard concept to swallow. You act as though criticism of said "generic" content is wrong. It's there, it's part of what you're paying for. Criticism is part of why we're here is it not? it's also the main topic of this thread...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Customer support has been really sub par.  Also I went to cruise on the wildstar general forums today and they have pretty much locked, moved and deleted all the negative threads there. I guess they are doing some damage control.
  • lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Ditto.

I lasted 17 days.

In addition to this game just annoying me, I never successfully got the F.O.V. where It didn't induce headaches. The mod for FOV just put everything at an even higher level of  migraine numbing field of view

I have now returned to my SWTOR sub in anticipation of the housing release in August.

My Sith Inquisitor was like soothing relief compared to my WildStar....everything.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• You know, I'm not even sure.

By the time I got my Engineer to level 45 I just lost interest in logging in or playing.  I can't put my finger on it as to the exact reason why, but I just don't want to log in and play after getting in from work.

I just don't want to play it anymore.

*Sighs* Back to the MMORPG search again, I guess.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

The game is a huge hit for me, my friends, and family. My personal biggest complaint is the challenges. Next would be the lack of Battlegrounds. 

For something I wasn't even going to play, I sure have been surprised with the hours of enjoyment I have gotten out of it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

I may be misunderstanding the use of the word "generic".  When I think of generic quests I think of games like Tera.  You start a kill quest at level 1.  You continue to do kill quests in different environments for many hours.  Then you reach max level.

Then you have games like Wildstar.  You do kill enemies and collect stuff from them.  You also navigate terrain with super jump/run buffs and jetpacks, get shot out of cannons, blow up enemies as rhino bombs, sabotage enemies as a sheep, take out whole enemy camps in vehicles(bikes, tanks, mech), grapple across canyons.  You use a large assortment of quest specific weapons and abilites to defeat the enemies.  It's like what Wow tries to do.  It acknowledges there is only so much a game can do when your character can run, jump, attack, and click then makes the most of it.  I guess if this considered just generic kill/collection I'm not really sure what isn't. 

Although I was sad to say the game wasn't for me (I had an amazing time in beta and really enjoyed what I got to play), I agree with your take on quests.  I didn't find them very generic when taken as a whole, not at all.  There was plenty of good, varied quest stuff and then there was some straightforward go-here-and-kill-this stuff in what seemed to me to be a good mix.  Having been a founder in TERA, the two questing systems are completely different in my opinion.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

For the most part it seems like most of peoples biggest complaints were that it just wasnt for them which is not too bad if that is the biggest problem a game is facing, not all games are for everyone. A few problems they need to fix for sure which is optimization which it looks like they have been working on.

Seems like no one has any complaints that are super bad about this game that is just destroying peoples reason to play like others game that have come out. Im really surprised that a first time company would put out such an amazing game that most people have very minimal complaints.

I might check this game out later when I get more time but its nice to see companies putting out games that people want to play.

• blubstererblubsterer Member Posts: 88

A lot of the comments on this site will make you wonder.  It's strange reading all the complaints about the leveling grind and generic questing when the diversity of objectives may actually surpass Wow.  The leveling speed is pretty fast too.  [....]

Sometimes it's not about the absolute amount of time spent but the overall feeling of the time spent. I personally leveled to level 50 in a bit less than 2 weeks of moderate playing (with switching to 3 alts, all in the mid 20s - early 30s). So I agree that leveling is pretty fast in absolute terms.

But in my whole MMO-Life I never was as bored while leveling as in Wildstar. It felt slow, repetitive, uninteresting or simply: just bad. And the bad xp and rewards in dungeons/adventures or in pvp didn't help either. So I don't agree that there is ANY diversity in leveling in Wildstar. And it just felt like a chore to get past it.

BTW: normally I'm a huge altoholic and I actually like leveling (at least in other MMOs). And normally I take my time to explore the world and its lore. I tried that in Wildstar as well, but after a while I got the impression that the uninspired story and world just isn't worth it.

Well, maybe just not my cup of tea ....

• Alcop0psAlcop0ps Member Posts: 18

When I last played Wildstar, I just hated the questing. It turned me off from that game too much, maybe I was burnt out from WoW, but I was willing to try out the game. After getting to about level 15, I couldn't do it anymore. The quests felt like they were too much and I wasn't getting enough exp. Too grindy for me IMO.

Also, my FPS sucked, mostly in the cities though but maybe it's just me nitpicking.

But yes, I also agree with the subscription freeze, why isn't that a thing yet?

Originally posted by blubsterer

A lot of the comments on this site will make you wonder.  It's strange reading all the complaints about the leveling grind and generic questing when the diversity of objectives may actually surpass Wow.  The leveling speed is pretty fast too.  [....]

Sometimes it's not about the absolute amount of time spent but the overall feeling of the time spent. I personally leveled to level 50 in a bit less than 2 weeks of moderate playing (with switching to 3 alts, all in the mid 20s - early 30s). So I agree that leveling is pretty fast in absolute terms.

But in my whole MMO-Life I never was as bored while leveling as in Wildstar. It felt slow, repetitive, uninteresting or simply: just bad. And the bad xp and rewards in dungeons/adventures or in pvp didn't help either. So I don't agree that there is ANY diversity in leveling in Wildstar. And it just felt like a chore to get past it.

BTW: normally I'm a huge altoholic and I actually like leveling (at least in other MMOs). And normally I take my time to explore the world and its lore. I tried that in Wildstar as well, but after a while I got the impression that the uninspired story and world just isn't worth it.

Well, maybe just not my cup of tea ....

I was referring entirely to the quests.  That's why I said "diversity of objectives".  Now if you leveled a 50 and 3 alts into the mid 20s and thought that every quest was exactly the same then your perception is much different than mine.

Let me make one thing clear.  I'm not defending Wildstar.  The bored, angry, haters can relax.  I personally don't like all the novelty quests and wish every quest was a generic kill quest.  I think it's a chore to chase around animals that got out of their cages, or to have a zombifying octopus on my character's head that messes up my movement.  I just wanted to throw some accurate information into a thread with so much misinformation for anyone that was actually curious about the game.

Let me make one thing clear.  I'm not defending Wildstar.  The bored, angry, haters can relax.  I personally don't like all the novelty quests and wish every quest was a generic kill quest.  I think it's a chore to chase around animals that got out of their cages, or to have a zombifying octopus on my character's head that messes up my movement.  I just wanted to throw some accurate information into a thread with so much misinformation for anyone that was actually curious about the game.

Hehe, so then you were annoyed in just a different way than me? Well, not much sense in argueing about that ;)

BTW: I wasn't upset, so there is no reason to relax in the first place. It just wasn't clear to me that a diversity in objectives doesn't necessarily mean a diversity in questing (and therefor leveling). And it could be argued that such a diversity is relative considering that you have to do many hundreds of quests to max level, so every type of quest is repeated over and over again anyways. But consider me corrected.

Like I said: maybe just not my cup of tea ....

Originally posted by blubsterer

Hehe, so then you were annoyed in just a different way than me? Well, not much sense in argueing about that ;)

BTW: I wasn't upset, so there is no reason to relax in the first place. It just wasn't clear to me that a diversity in objectives doesn't necessarily mean a diversity in questing (and therefor leveling). And it could be argued that such a diversity is relative considering that you have to do many hundreds of quests to max level, so every type of quest is repeated over and over again anyways. But consider me corrected.

Like I said: maybe just not my cup of tea ....

Since Distopia dodged this question...which game, in your opinion, has better questing and what makes it better?  And I'm not talking about games like TSW or Swtor where the voice-acted NPCs talk to you before you do the kill quest.  I mean the actual time you are moving your character around to complete the quest.

Once again, I'm not trying to defend.  I just see so many vague complaints from posters who I imagine have played lots of these types of games and should be able to make some type of comparison.  

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I haven't played the game but i know alot of mmo players that bought it and all of them didn't resub. after the free 30 days. The biggest complaint was the community was really inmature. Second was it played to much like a console game and not a real mmo. Non of them want to raid ever again. Nobody liked the child like graphics and forced humor. This is what i was told and didn't buy the game because i trust my friends. And if this is the new direction mmo's are going..well i just don't know anymore.

Since Distopia dodged this question...which game, in your opinion, has better questing and what makes it better?  And I'm not talking about games like TSW or Swtor where the voice-acted NPCs talk to you before you do the kill quest.  I mean the actual time you are moving your character around to complete the quest.

Once again, I'm not trying to defend.  I just see so many vague complaints from posters who I imagine have played lots of these types of games and should be able to make some type of comparison.  

Well, like I said, I enjoyed leveling in almost every MMO (with levels/questing) I played apart from Wildstar (and maybe Rift). Don't really know what it specifically is that bores me to death in that game. It might be a combination of many things like the overall lack of interesting NPCs and stories in the first 35 levels, a very sterile world (in my opinion), the overall pace (like movement, mounts), the sheer amount of quests needed to max level and so on.

Normally I try to break up my leveling experience with many different kind of activities, like dungeons or pvping. But in Wildstar I felt screwed due to things like unrewarding loot (5 challenges done in maybe 10 minutes give way better and more loot than 1 hour in a dungeon), unrewarding xp (again compared with things like challenges) and that weird scaling where you actually get weaker in dungeons with each level after the intended one if you can't compensate for it with better gear. Similar problems with pvp as well (not to mention all those bots you are playing with there) ...

And another weird thing is the fact that you have to wait (afaik) 45 levels to unlock all skill slots. They are very limited in the first place, so why limit them further? That leads to very repetitive game play for very long periods. It's a bit repetitive even with level 50, but some classes feel so castrated with those limits in place it's not even funny anymore. E.g. the first 25 levels with a warrior are a nightmare in my opinion.

I even start to sympathize with your view that maybe even all those different (but nontheless repetitive) quest objectives are more annoying than to just simply group up half a dozen mobs and kill them as fast as you can and call this a quest.

It all boils down to a question of pacing that just feels akward to me. But everyone has to decide on his own. After all there are plenty of different things someone can enjoy in MMOs ...

• Originally posted by VassagoMael
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Anyone who thinks the resources used to allow people to play on the servers in anyway lines up to sub fees is completely out of touch with the costs of servers/bandwidth/DB space.

They wouldn't need to charge more than $1-2 per month to cover purely letting you play operational costs.  

You are paying a cover charge to get into a casino.  Accept it and move on.  

The sub fees are going to the massive monthly content updates, cupcake. This is Wildstar not WoW.

Casinos say the same thing, but of course you have demonstrated nicely you have a low resistance to slogans.  Do they sink in even deeper when they rhyme?

• SomaQSomaQ Member UncommonPosts: 15
    My biggest complaint are the amount of people complaining. Seriously, what is killing the MMORPG genre are people who complain. If you pick up any other game that's not an MMORPG do you complain about anything? It's like a plague that spreads: one person starts complaining about something, and everyone else jumps in. There's nothing in the game I can find to complain about. I am thoroughly enjoying it!
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Many aspects of the game are rather "hit or miss" when thrown at today's gaming population. Reading various forums and following the game, it seems like Carbine missed more than they hit.

It's too bad, while the game oozes quality and passionate design on one hand, Carbine acts like an amateur-studio on the other.

While there have been alot of bad games tanking, Wildstar isn't a bad game -but most of it's problems are rather directly related to it's studio. Customer service, bans, bots, performance and also Carbine's hardcore attitude while in fact the game needs to make endgame more accessible or except for a single digit percentage people will quit a week after hitting 50. Many of these are not problems with Wildstar, but with Carbine.

Just like Rift's biggest problem has always been Trion's inability, Wildstar is one of the very few titles were i don't blame the game, but the studio behind it.

I give it 6 month max before NCSoft pulls some desperate measures on Wildstar.

I finally have a biggest complaint....

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/416995/New-Mount-Available-with-2Step-Verification-.html

OMFG CARBINE IS RACIST AGAINST PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE SMARTPHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(yes I know smartphone isn't a race yet but need that dramatic forum ignorance)