Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Housing, Crafting, and RvR-PVP - tell me more!!

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

So I just started looking into Camelot Unchained, I honestly cant believe I hadnt looked at it before. I just got done reading the basic information about the game, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a wiki or website with a nice collection of information on the game. Or if someone could just explain the game a bit more to me. 

I never played DAoC, but I understand its mark in the MMO-PVP community, so my first question is, how will the realm v realm work exactly? Is it all instanced in Camelot Unchained or can you actually build houses/castles in an open world and have them sieged by other players?

My other question is, does anyone know what the combat will be like? This game would sound perfect to me with turn based combat, Skill-based combat is sadly just not my cup of tea in mmos, and Id much rather have tab targeting or something else.

Anyways, thanks for the info guys! I look forward to finding out more about the game.

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Within the next few weeks there is going to be a huge public presentation of details about the game that even backers don't know about yet, so stay tuned. You can also find a lot by reading the Kickstarter for the game and all of the Kickstarter updates at

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

There is some information on the official site mostly about races, the Foundational Principles, and additional updates at

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

The game will be a huge persistent world not an instanced arena. What you build today will still be there when you login tomorrow unless enemies came by and destroyed it or it was wiped out by a Veilstorm.

The expectation is that the combat system will be similar to what was standard in the early '00s with tab-targeting, no casting while moving, no global cooldown, many quickbar abilities, etc. More details on combat and many other things should be available after the previously mentioned infodump.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by greenreen

Does anyone know what the reasoning or logic is behind the concept of not casting while moving?

Ever since I first encountered that in Vanguard it seemed natural and the way things should be. Melee players could always swing a sword while strafing or moving forward, it was only casters who had to stay rooted. This was detrimental because casted skills usually forced a cast timer meaning that you couldn't move farther away as your opponent was moving closer to you.

So basically, if you defended yourself - melee gained range on you which they desired and you didn't! Then to combat that you have to bring in leaps and hops which annoy players when someone hops around out of range when you could have just allowed them the same fortune of moving WHILE casting skills. They are still at a disadvantage with longer casting skills.

Staying rooted was always a detriment to casters, not melee. Is that implying that they like melee in this game and prefer that playstyle over magic to think that both playstyles shouldn't be treated with the ability to move while attacking?

Not being able to cast while moving sounds like a really far step back in MMO gaming to a concept that I would consider having been improved over time, not worsened even if you live in the past and long for an old school game.

P.S. I didn't see the devs say this is how it would be but read this on the post above mine. So, if they aren't planning on it, please drop a link to a source.

That is not realistic in competative PVP style games.  If a glass canon can run infinitely while casting it would end in the melee being beat and this we be the case every time, so some casting abilities need to be stationary to even the playing field.  It's not backwards or forwards in terms of features its smart and common sense if you want many people to play the game.  Get real seriously.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by greenreen

Does anyone know what the reasoning or logic is behind the concept of not casting while moving?

Ever since I first encountered that in Vanguard it seemed natural and the way things should be. Melee players could always swing a sword while strafing or moving forward, it was only casters who had to stay rooted. This was detrimental because casted skills usually forced a cast timer meaning that you couldn't move farther away as your opponent was moving closer to you.

So basically, if you defended yourself - melee gained range on you which they desired and you didn't! Then to combat that you have to bring in leaps and hops which annoy players when someone hops around out of range when you could have just allowed them the same fortune of moving WHILE casting skills. They are still at a disadvantage with longer casting skills.

Staying rooted was always a detriment to casters, not melee. Is that implying that they like melee in this game and prefer that playstyle over magic to think that both playstyles shouldn't be treated with the ability to move while attacking?

Not being able to cast while moving sounds like a really far step back in MMO gaming to a concept that I would consider having been improved over time, not worsened even if you live in the past and long for an old school game.

P.S. I didn't see the devs say this is how it would be but read this on the post above mine. So, if they aren't planning on it, please drop a link to a source.

If I had to guess, it would be because if Casters can move in PvP then melee would never have a chance to get near them in a fight.

Casters usually get Slow and Root abilities. Now lets make them able to cast on the run on top of that..... Can we say forums full of melee QQ'ers.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

@greenreen would be too much to quote.

I honestly don't know how the skills work/will work in this game but if it will be like DAoC then you have a good chance as a caster.

The anti cc stuff only lasted for a few seconds which was easily avoided by kiting the melee. The only problem were hybrids but there were ways to beat them. Besides they were supposed to kill casters. If a hybrid couldnt noone except another caster could which makes for a boring gameplay.

Imho, standing while casting makes for a better gameplay. If you were to give casters free movement speed you have to reduce the dmg by a lot and that isn't what a caster is about. Casters are supposed to be glasscannons. They kill stuff in 2-3 hits but also die in 2-3 hits. If a caster can just outrun a melee then what is the point of playing a melee? You WILL loose anyway.