Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Launch Day Announced for July 29th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red 5 is ending one of the longest development cycles ever with the announcement that Firefall will finally hit its retail release on July 29th. Firefall will be free to play with an in-game shop filled with convenience and cosmetic items for players to purchase.

Firefall will be available completely free-to-play, with opportunities for cosmetic and convenience upgrades. Special Firefall Launch Packs are also available for purchase, which will include items ranging from the exclusive multiplayer vehicle to a digital soundtrack and a concept art-book.

“The update we are releasing for launch will be the largest update we have ever had,” said Macauley. “It will quadruple the amount of world space in Firefall and add roughly 15-times the amount of content we have had previously in Beta.”

Find out more about preorder packages and much more on the Firefall site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Awesome! They sure did take their time with this one. I had fun in the past with it so will be sure to check it out at launch!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    To the people that have been keeping up with the game, how it is these days?  Last I played it there was pretty much nothing to do except thump for minerals and do the 2 or 3 different battleground maps they had.  Is it more complex now?
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    To the people that have been keeping up with the game, how it is these days?  Last I played it there was pretty much nothing to do except thump for minerals and do the 2 or 3 different battleground maps they had.  Is it more complex now?

I think they actually got rid of all the PvP. Something about focusing on PvE since balancing the PvP was becoming an issue I think.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    So... Does it have more then a days worth of content yet?
  • Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

I think they actually got rid of all the PvP. Something about focusing on PvE since balancing the PvP was becoming an issue I think.

Seriously?  I thought it was supposed to be a PvP-centric game?  They just got rid of it completely?

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141

Seriously?  I thought it was supposed to be a PvP-centric game?  They just got rid of it completely?

It hasn't been pvp-centric for like 3 years They removed the crappy arena pvp around a year ago when they had to admit they didn't have the man power to work on both because they wasted so much time "tweaking" the same things over and over.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by ryvendark

It hasn't been pvp-centric for like 3 years They removed the crappy arena pvp around a year ago when they had to admit they didn't have the man power to work on both because they wasted so much time "tweaking" the same things over and over.

Yep, it's pve-focused. Actually that's why I think maybe it's a bit early launch, maybe it'd be better for waiting a few weeks and launching after Defiance's season 2 is over, maybe in late August, early September.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I hardly ever do this kind of posts, but here I feel I have to do it...

Really. Do NOT play this utter garbage.

The dev team lacks any direction or goal, and wild changes are implemented every now and again. They have showed many times they are totally unable to achieve any balance whatsoever, and all frames have been OP like hell and then nerfed to obliteration on next patch.

The map is microscopic, tiny, ridiculously small. Whatever they have implemented that claims to be dynamic... I have never ever see it in game. It's just the same old repetition of the same old stuff.. over and over.. and over.. and over.. and over and over and over forever and ever more. And then repeat.

The claims for horizontal progression... well, they are back to levels. Sorry, if I wanted to play WoW... Guess what, I would play WoW. Expect all the bad stuff from vertical progression MMOs, that is, zone segregation, playerbase segregation, gear threadmill and such.

Economics and crafting have become mandatory, but they add nothing to the actual gameplay. It's just another reason to grind. A mandatory one, by the way.

PVP has disappeared, because, again, the devs are (and have always been) utterly unable to achieve any frame (class) balance.

Lag is everywhere. Even when crafting.

Crafting, by the way, is messy, confusing, lacks tooltips and proper tutorials and is complex but has no depth when an actually good crafting system should be quite the opposite: simple but deep.

Massively multiplayer what??? Everything is soloable in any class, and I do mean it. Everything means freaking everything. As long as you are half decent you will never ever need any guild, or group or friend or anything at all. The only interaction with other players will be your routine and mandatory visits to the market and the artificial limit put in some instances so you can't enter alone.

Classes are meaningless... There's only one role: DPS, with a few minor variants to it.

Grind, grind, grind, grind!!!

The most stupid AI I have seen in ages, probably ever. Enemy mobs are retarded and quite often they won't even move when you are shooting at them right in their faces.

Skill based? My a*s. The game is only getting more and more gear based on each patch.

This game had potential years ago. Now... well, it's a sad parody of what it could have been.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by gordiflu

I hardly ever do this kind of posts, but here I feel I have to do it...

Really. Do NOT play this utter garbage.

The dev team lacks any direction or goal, and wild changes are implemented every now and again. They have showed many times they are totally unable to achieve any balance whatsoever, and all frames have been OP like hell and then nerfed to obliteration on next patch.

The map is microscopic, tiny, ridiculously small. Whatever they have implemented that claims to be dynamic... I have never ever see it in game. It's just the same old repetition of the same old stuff.. over and over.. and over.. and over.. and over and over and over forever and ever more. And then repeat.

The claims for horizontal progression... well, they are back to levels. Sorry, if I wanted to play WoW... Guess what, I would play WoW. Expect all the bad stuff from vertical progression MMOs, that is, zone segregation, playerbase segregation, gear threadmill and such.

Economics and crafting have become mandatory, but they add nothing to the actual gameplay. It's just another reason to grind. A mandatory one, by the way.

PVP has disappeared, because, again, the devs are (and have always been) utterly unable to achieve any frame (class) balance.

Lag is everywhere. Even when crafting.

Crafting, by the way, is messy, confusing, lacks tooltips and proper tutorials and is complex but has no depth when an actually good crafting system should be quite the opposite: simple but deep.

Massively multiplayer what??? Everything is soloable in any class, and I do mean it. Everything means freaking everything. As long as you are half decent you will never ever need any guild, or group or friend or anything at all. The only interaction with other players will be your routine and mandatory visits to the market and the artificial limit put in some instances so you can't enter alone.

Classes are meaningless... There's only one role: DPS, with a few minor variants to it.

Grind, grind, grind, grind!!!

The most stupid AI I have seen in ages, probably ever. Enemy mobs are retarded and quite often they won't even move when you are shooting at them right in their faces.

Skill based? My a*s. The game is only getting more and more gear based on each patch.

This game had potential years ago. Now... well, it's a sad parody of what it could have been.

So we're to assume, since you don't normally do this sort of thing it's to make this appear more dramatic? 

The game is not garbage.  You guys can actually check it out for yourself and judge.

The map is small yes, not tiny but it is small.  There are additional zones you can travel to but still not overly large, but still additional land to explore.  Though there will be another zone coming in soon, so that's even more to explore.  Yet you'll explore it quickly. 

I've played for maybe 2 years now... seems about right least over a year.  It has gone through changes due to their own thoughts on making the game easier for players or listening to players suggestions.  A lot of the changes are due to players, who couldn't understand some of the things going on and wanted simpler ways of doing things.

PvP was taken out because of Frame changes, balancing it became a mess.  Instead of covering it up like other games have done they just took it out till they could properly work on it.

Grind, grind?  Yeah that's pretty much any MMO.  Lag - yeah, it's had it ups and downs.  Not everyone will get it, some get hit with it pretty bad.  But again what MMO has ever been lag free, even during a beta (long beta that it was) 

Patches haven't been Firefall's strong suit, with bugs popping up and lag following.  Though again I'll just say others have had the trouble.  But then Firefall's tend to be worse.

Yes Firefall is soloable, though again so is any of the MMO's coming out... so we'll move on from that.  You can die with Firefall, so yes there is some skill needed.  YOu can't always go guns blazing with certain frames, others have an advantage but only if you picked up those abilities. 

Really you need to explore it yourself to fully see the game for what it is.  It is enjoyable, the person above isn't giving the full story.

And i know I'm not saying all there is either, but work keeps interrupting so i have to stop.

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    It's totally worth downloading and tooling around for a few days.  Don't expect to want to spend cash or spend more than a few weeks playing before it gets boring and repetitive.  But it looks nice, and the combat mechanics aren't bad at all.  There's just no depth to the game.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Hoping this release date has new content and a 'solid' story runthrough.

UPDATE::: did a bit of research and they just released this:

coral forest: 1 to level 24 areas

Sertao: 25 to level 36

Devil’s Tusk: 37 to level 40

- Melding Pushback to open:

The Caldera

Ashlands

New and West Honolulu

Chosen Land

- join a 20man Raid

always been a fan of this game! sounds exciting!

i like the new pack with soundtrack book and new vehicle!-may get this.

Originally posted by Nightfyre

The game is not garbage.  You guys can actually check it out for yourself and judge.

The map is small yes, not tiny but it is small.  There are additional zones you can travel to but still not overly large, but still additional land to explore.  Though there will be another zone coming in soon, so that's even more to explore.  Yet you'll explore it quickly. 

I've played for maybe 2 years now... seems about right least over a year.  It has gone through changes due to their own thoughts on making the game easier for players or listening to players suggestions.  A lot of the changes are due to players, who couldn't understand some of the things going on and wanted simpler ways of doing things.

PvP was taken out because of Frame changes, balancing it became a mess.  Instead of covering it up like other games have done they just took it out till they could properly work on it.

Grind, grind?  Yeah that's pretty much any MMO.  Lag - yeah, it's had it ups and downs.  Not everyone will get it, some get hit with it pretty bad.  But again what MMO has ever been lag free, even during a beta (long beta that it was) 

Patches haven't been Firefall's strong suit, with bugs popping up and lag following.  Though again I'll just say others have had the trouble.  But then Firefall's tend to be worse.

Yes Firefall is soloable, though again so is any of the MMO's coming out... so we'll move on from that.  You can die with Firefall, so yes there is some skill needed.  YOu can't always go guns blazing with certain frames, others have an advantage but only if you picked up those abilities. 

Really you need to explore it yourself to fully see the game for what it is.  It is enjoyable, the person above isn't giving the full story.

And i know I'm not saying all there is either, but work keeps interrupting so i have to stop.

Thanks for the advice. Let me mention that I started "exploring" the game over 4 years ago.

And let me also mention, again... if I wanted to play WoW... I would play WoW. I joined the closed beta because the devs were promising a skill-based horizontal progression shooter with MMO elements. What we have now is a gear-based vertical progression MMO with shooter elements.

Finally, mobs warping is not down to network lag but server lag. Same goes for static mobs who won't move or do anything while you are shooting right into their faces.

And true, I am not giving the full story. The full story would also include an operative cash shop that is selling crafting speedups while there's an incoming patch that will include a gear wipe, for example. And this has happened a few times already.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    SO is there no pvp planned for the future?

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    I played this a year ago and was initially really liking it until I realized that there was nothing more to do after playing it casually for a week. Great potential, weak delivery :(

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Heroes Will Rise 
    Combat the Chosen to reclaim earth and become the best ARES pilot in your class. With familiar and highly polished shooting mechanics, your skill and dedication will be rewarded. Firefall is action packed with rewarding content, including massive Titan Battles for PvE and skill-based open world PvP. 

Just read this on hteir Steam page, so whres all te info on PVP?

Any one know?

• reemireemi Member UncommonPosts: 45

I bought the 129$ founder 2 years ago maybe, I did lot of PvE and PvP, but since the PvP is removed I almost never played. 

Yes the map is TINY, you can say small if you prefer but the map is too small for a mmo. And without PvP there's no good reason to play... 

But, combat is fun, shooting + mmo is not something we see everyday. But it will never be the best mmo games and never be the best shooter games... 

Go play your favorite shooter and your favorite mmo instead!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Heroes Will Rise 
    Combat the Chosen to reclaim earth and become the best ARES pilot in your class. With familiar and highly polished shooting mechanics, your skill and dedication will be rewarded. Firefall is action packed with rewarding content, including massive Titan Battles for PvE and skill-based open world PvP. 

Just read this on hteir Steam page, so whres all te info on PVP?

Any one know?

yes pvp was there a year ago- and it was solid.  at the time Recon were Op through out - that brought alot of backlash and restructuring of pvp, until they pulled the plug.

Ima sure itll be back. the pvp was the most fun ive had in any game.

actually theyre putting a dev  vs. players open world pvp event devs are playing Chosen!-so this maybe things to come in the pipeline...

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

There's an entire PvP zone the size of New Eden coming in with launch called Broken Peninsula.

A lot of the game is changing for release. Instead of judging it on how it was, judge it how it is when it launches. Comparing it to something that no longer exist is pointless.

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388

A question or 2 for those who know the game better.

1. Last I checked the wanted to redo the whole frame system, again. Did they settle for an old version or something new?

2. Crafting: you now have to choose one line to craft higher lvl stuff? Also do they still go back to the old/first version of random crafts? I loved that you could influence the end product by what materials you used but read somewhere they reintroduce their first attempt with random stats after crafting something.

3. Are the zones someone mentioned before like the 3 pockets leading up to BWA?

thx in advance

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I was a $120 level founder 4 years ago and have to say that the game has changed so much in that time that it doesnt resemble the amazing presentation they gave back at the beginning.

I loved the horizontal gear assembly line system with all the upgrades.. now you need a tutorial written out to understand half the crap for your suits...

The PVP was fun, then it vanished... Balance issues not withstanding i didnt care about the balance, learn to play smart and you could over come the issues... the devs gave up instead.

We were promised PVE story line content that would blow us away... I never did see this story line content.. oh wait.. yes I did.. in Wildstar...

Not to mention their lead designer bailed a few years ago.. this game became a tragedy waiting for a year to happen than anything else.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

Originally posted by Dakirn

There's an entire PvP zone the size of New Eden coming in with launch called Broken Peninsula.

A lot of the game is changing for release. Instead of judging it on how it was, judge it how it is when it launches. Comparing it to something that no longer exist is pointless.

I judge it for what it is now. Simple as. And don't come with the beta card when the cash shop has been running for almost 2 years already. If the product generates revenue it's release, period.

And, as it is now... No PVP, grind, small content, gear wipes after people have spent money on the cash shop, lag, retarded AI, lack of balance, market is mandatory, player segregation, no need for groups or guilds.

• VRHmasonVRHmason Member Posts: 1

Thanks for the advice. Let me mention that I started "exploring" the game over 4 years ago.

And let me also mention, again... if I wanted to play WoW... I would play WoW. I joined the closed beta because the devs were promising a skill-based horizontal progression shooter with MMO elements. What we have now is a gear-based vertical progression MMO with shooter elements.

Finally, mobs warping is not down to network lag but server lag. Same goes for static mobs who won't move or do anything while you are shooting right into their faces.

And true, I am not giving the full story. The full story would also include an operative cash shop that is selling crafting speedups while there's an incoming patch that will include a gear wipe, for example. And this has happened a few times already.

and you see nothing wrong in this statement "Let me mention that I started "exploring" the game over 4 years ago." ??...let me quote again the important part "...OVER 4 YEARS AGO"

any other input you are giving on this game is invalid cuz you didn't play it for 4 freaking years...The game has nothing to do with WOW except that  both of products are multiplayer game. It's not that you are not giving full story, you ain't giving any story because your views are irrelevent cuz as you stated you haven't played the game for 4 FREAKING YEARS....

next time try to review a game that you actually played...

peace out

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

For anyone who cares to be informed launch will involve 4x the map size as previously seen, 20 main raid  and open world pvp as the update as well as expanding/improving previous gameplay elements.

As far as I've read pvp will be a battle for resources and bases including vehicles, maybe not to planet side level but along the general lines.

In the end it will be free to have a crack so by all means do so. Also beta update is tomorrow I believe.

Originally posted by VRHmason

and you see nothing wrong in this statement "Let me mention that I started "exploring" the game over 4 years ago." ??...let me quote again the important part "...OVER 4 YEARS AGO"

any other input you are giving on this game is invalid cuz you didn't play it for 4 freaking years...The game has nothing to do with WOW except that  both of products are multiplayer game. It's not that you are not giving full story, you ain't giving any story because your views are irrelevent cuz as you stated you haven't played the game for 4 FREAKING YEARS....

next time try to review a game that you actually played...

peace out

Learn grammar.

Learn the difference between: "I started doing X N years ago" and "I haven't done X since N years"

Really. *facepalm*

Originally posted by KaosLegion

For anyone who cares to be informed launch will involve 4x the map size as previously seen, 20 main raid  and open world pvp as the update as well as expanding/improving previous gameplay elements.

As far as I've read pvp will be a battle for resources and bases including vehicles, maybe not to planet side level but along the general lines.

In the end it will be free to have a crack so by all means do so. Also beta update is tomorrow I believe.

If your source of info is the same source that said "the world will be 1/10th of the actual Earth", or were promising e-sports with prizes worth thousands of dollars, or promised we would be able to do whatever we wanted wherever we wanted because it was an horizontal progression game, you know, the same company that said the initial release date was... 2 years ago, yes that company that promised a skill based game and then made the whole game revolve about gear, the market, crafting and durability... 

... well, how much do you think I trust that info?