Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Ten Most Voted Female Characters in MMOs and RPGs

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A few months ago, we had an exciting MMO Super Women discussion about what essential elements create memorable female protagonists. We asked you to name the women characters from MMOs that made an impression on you. As a result, we compiled your votes into the following ten MMORPGs. Enjoy, and be sure to add any additional female favorite heroes in the comments below!

Read more of Genese Davis's Ten Most Voted Female Characters in MMOs and RPGs.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You know... just because you need to have GW2 in the list somewhere, doesn't mean you need to stuff it in the number 2 spot. Having a small 1 line of text doesn't do much justice for a character you claim to be #2 tier. XD Granted a few others could use more as well, it just seems a blatant move to try and put a character up in a game that really has little to really push their spot.

Truthfully though, the list itself should REALLY be elaborated on more then even for some of the characters thatr were mentioned in more detail, and more given about others (Kaliyo Djannis comes off as being forced into the list, and in a way the Final Fantasy Entries seemed tossed on together)

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Issue with #3.

"Lightning ensues a long and complex storyline, which reflect her changing roles and evolving personality."

Really? Lightning only MMO apperance was in 2 limited time FATE events in FF14. These events boiled down to grinding the same FATE over and over for tokens to get vanity gear. Lighting had at most 5 lines of dialoge in the event.

How does that equate to "long and complex storyline"

Unless you mean her story in the FF13 games. . .Which are single player games!

DO THE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS SIGHT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE TERM M.M.O. MEANS?

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    4,5,6,7 I love them. Really love Kaliyos bad girl attitude.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by sayuu

Unless you mean her story in the FF13 games. . .Which are single player games!

DO THE PEOPLE RUNNING THIS SIGHT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE TERM M.M.O. MEANS?

Two thoughts for you:

1. If you look at the opening paragraph of the article, these were characters voted upon by MMORPG.com's site readers and the list was not compiled by the author. She simply tabulated the results. Perhaps the readers didn't understand the question and answered with Lightning though she is primarily a single-player character.

2. If you haven't noticed, we cover single player RPGs regularly now as they are generally of keen interest to our readers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Purutzil

You know... just because you need to have GW2 in the list somewhere, doesn't mean you need to stuff it in the number 2 spot. Having a small 1 line of text doesn't do much justice for a character you claim to be #2 tier. XD Granted a few others could use more as well, it just seems a blatant move to try and put a character up in a game that really has little to really push their spot.

Truthfully though, the list itself should REALLY be elaborated on more then even for some of the characters thatr were mentioned in more detail, and more given about others (Kaliyo Djannis comes off as being forced into the list, and in a way the Final Fantasy Entries seemed tossed on together)

Suzie already pointed this out. But the list was based on this sites users voting! So, I hate to ruin your GW2 hate train, but the voters put it at #2.

But I am sure some other conspiracy will explain that for you. God forbid people actually like a game you don't like.

• ryvendarkryvendark Member Posts: 141
    It's nice to know a list like this can ruin someones day. I would laugh my ass off if someone came in to work all pissed off and when you ask them why " MMORPG.COM PUT GW2 AT NUMBER 2 !!!!!!!!!" And for the most popular female character list no less.  Awesome.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319

It's good to see that City of Heroes is still remembered.

ETA

AND it beat DCU. :)

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I changed the title just so people can focus on the better parts of the article.  :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Glad to see Kirsten Geary on this list, though somewhat surprised to see her at #1. She is pretty awesome though!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

KG rocks:)

(and I also voted on Narmeleth, if I remember correctly, I'm glad she made onto the list as well. Great character.)

• IG88IG88 Member UncommonPosts: 12
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I'm Fanboy of Gw2 but... Cathie in #2 ? meh

l2p

• LiltihiaLiltihia Member Posts: 19
    Why is Firiona not number one? She is the most important character in the best MMO in history.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Where the heck is Shantotto?
  • FeuDesAstresFeuDesAstres Member Posts: 12
    And Sarah Morrison of Tabula Rasa didn't get an honorable mention, even?
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    If this is from RPGs then Shepard is number 1 and Jaheira from BG 1 and 2 should be in there.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Jaedor
    Glad to see Kirsten Geary on this list, though somewhat surprised to see her at #1. She is pretty awesome though!

The Illuminati rigged the voting. They have practice at this, just look at US election results for the past century or so.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    At first I was upset, because I hardly recognize any of the characters on here even if I have played most of the games. Then I realized this was a beauty contest, and the characters don't really play a major part in any game mentioned here. It's all good.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• galphargalphar Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Where's Gwen from Guild Wars?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    "For Lady Sylvanas!"
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Overall some surprisingly good picks on that list.

However, I've gotta say, I'm extremely dissapointed to see Lightning on there, especially given how far up the list she is placed. I may not be a woman, but putting lightning up there as a 'complex character' is like putting a character up there from Dead or Alive.

Her character is basically SE going 'man, people really liked Cloud, how can we bring him back w/ out bringing him back? Oh.. lets just give him a vagina, boob physics and call it a day'. Heck, her latest game (lightning returns) centers around her putting on different outfits. How stereotypical can you get. But that's a much longer discussion for a different topic.

More or less all the other choices I can get behind, because they are actually developed characters. Not poorly disguised revamps of old ones, with shoe-horned plot elements band-aided on as explanations.

• goron24goron24 Member Posts: 5

Mara Jade should not be listed as under SWG she had little to no role in that game

"Is located inside the Death Watch Bunker at -4692 4269. Mara Jade is the "Emperor's agent" Darth Vader sends the player to meet with at one phase of the Imperial Themepark quest on Naboo. The character has a brief interchange with her, then she sends you back to the Emperor's Retreat. Mara is significant not because of who she is in-game (an almost insignificant NPC), but because of who she is in the Star Wars Expanded Universe." SWG wiki

If you were to associate Mara Jade with a game I believe she played a better role in the Jedi Knight series... Just sayin.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604
    Mara Jade was in SWG?

EdiT: I see goron24 addressed this.  I had to look this up.  Mara Jade didn't even wear her character name and was at best an NPC who happened to have red hair.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Jaedor

kg 4tw :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Looking at this list and then comparing it to some of the characters from single player games you mention at the end  and you begin to realize just how thin the storylines in most mmos really are.

All die, so die well.