Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] General: 5 Singleplayer Games That Could Be MMOs

Comments

• miconamicona montreal, QCPosts: 661Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Are we talking theme park mass multiplayer online or sandbox mmorpg's with these 5 titles?

Honestly, we don't need anymore theme park mmo games.

Just bring us a good sandbox mmorpg and call it

Oh hell yeah the books were awesome :)  and yes there was a good called dune 2000 in 1998 and it was a RTS .

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Richmond Hill, ONPosts: 533Member
    Originally posted by cujo603
    We just don't have enough single player, theme park mmo's failing already. 

If all these failed MMO's follow the same path of......

1) Lots of players at launch

2) The tourists leave leaving the players who actually want to play the game doing so

3) repeat for next new MMO launch

Some would say this is the natural path of MMO's.

Or people can continue posting about how the genre is in such a shambles because it doesn't meet their expectations because they chose to not do any research into the game.

I should stop because once people realize its their unattainable expectations this site would get allot less traffic.

• TofkeTofke GeelPosts: 216Member

Please, NO!

I used to think it would be great having my beloved IP's turned into MMO's... But not anymore, I don't want my SP games being butchered into sub par games (even more than what most devs are doing these days).

• DauntisDauntis Kansas City, MOPosts: 547Member Uncommon
    These are all pretty great suggestions. Mass Effect and Fallout would both be pretty perfect properties. I would still like to see a real Shadowrun MMO, especially as an RPG and not a FPS, would be cool, even has "questing" as a major part of the established IP... I mean that is what  runs are, quests.

I would like to give an opinion on this post, but if I agree I will offend people who disagree. While if I disagree my comment will be seen as inflammatory. Either way I will get banned by this site full of the most delicate flowers in online gaming. Ban people for giving honest opinions... beautiful. Unfortunately I still like the articles.

• BrenicsBrenics Warren, MIPosts: 357Member Uncommon
    Nice write up and agree on Fallout and Mass Effect.  Be interesting to see how Microsoft would make an MMO, they have the talent but not sure if they have enough motivation to do it. Halo could be awesome as a MMO.

Grievance the last Guild you will ever need. Join us today!

• isslingissling San Francisco, CAPosts: 156Member Uncommon

Mass Effect and Dune get my vote:) I hope they keep trying until another MMO hits that sweet spot. You would think they will come full circle, and make something like the old mmo's, but with some of the new tweaks.

I know the new mmo's are making money but they have to be seeing that these new ones will have no real lifespan to them. It's a flooded market, but one good mmo will shatter the whole scene again, just waiting for a company to put back a soul into one.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHPosts: 875Member Uncommon

Legacy of Kain would make a really cool MMO... and no, the mediocre MOBA doesn't count as one.

Never been a fan of Dune, but I can agree that it would be interesting to see what a clever and talented developer could come up with.

Mass Effect died with complete and utter balls-up that was the story of Mass Effect 3. Maybe if it were placed back into Karpyshyn's capable hands, and the contrived bullshit some hellishly underqualified 'writers' spewed forth in an attempt at fiction meant for people over the age of five as the story of ME3 was retconned into nonexistence, it would be worth a look.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

• AngryCujoAngryCujo Santa Fe, NMPosts: 22Member
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,586Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano
    With many recent MMOs playing like single player games already, what would be the point?

This was my thought. MMORPGs need to break away from Single player. We can't all be the Dovahkiin.

• brEEziexbrEEziex baldwin Park, CAPosts: 23Member
    Another single player game need not be ruined!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,753Member Uncommon

Infamous is an amazing franchise that can easil get ruined by making an mmo out of it. Prototype is another game like it. Those games arent meant to be mmos. Infamous (and even prototype) could work marvelously as a coop game like Saints Row. Not an mmo.

As much as id love to see a Mass Effect mmo, with the current states of mmos i hope nobody considers making one so they dont ruin it.

Im indiferent about Fallout. I have only played Fallout 3 and it was awful IMO. But i do think Zenimax should have used it as the test bed for mmos instead of the TES ip, and then make a TES mmo when they get better at it.

Pokemon can be a nice casual mmo to break free from all the generic endgame pursuing mmos we have. And Halo, whatever, just another shooter.

• Sparr1Sparr1 Taunton, MAPosts: 9Member

Aliens could do it with all the stuff past and future

• Sparr1Sparr1 Taunton, MAPosts: 9Member
     Aliens ->Like the movie series ,sorry first time post here
  • tixylixtixylix gfff, TNPosts: 1,207Member Uncommon
    Ironically I'd still put KOTOR and TES on there...
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Divinity Original Sin should be on there imo.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen HolstebroPosts: 119Member Uncommon

Halflife...  It's a loreheavy game.  I could see it work. I just dont think Valve will invest in an MMO. It's a big gamble.  The gameplay would probably have to be altered heavily,  definedtly if the trinity style MMO was their target. The world and the lore is huge though,  and that's a great place to start.

• ClassicstarClassicstar rotjeknorPosts: 2,690Member

Both mentioned MMO'S rather failed hard ESO(will never get succes of TES games specially SKYRIM) and SWTOR.

Only Fallout maybe but i say it's dumb to transform good solo games into MMO'S most failing and ruined the solo games.

In case of TES we must see if it hurts solo series but if that happens then Bethesda is to blaim and fully responsible not zenimax.

SWTOR solo games(couple of million sold?) i don't care that it fail as a mmo, it's not in same league as Elder Scrolls games(24million copy's sold).

MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
    CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
    GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i
    OS:Windows 8.1 64bit)not yet sure i upgrade to windows 10 need to know alot more with integrated cloud and other maybe spy stuff)

• ClassicstarClassicstar rotjeknorPosts: 2,690Member

Originally posted by Betaguy
    Divinity Original Sin should be on there imo.

Funny i see you register 2004 and almost 2500 post almost same as me hehe.

I doub Larian studio's will transform D:OS into a mmo that will never happen, unless a big publisher buy them out and don't give a damn about game should be or not there only concern is money.

Would be bad transform it into MMO for many reason, and should be clear why it's bad idea if you have follow the game market last 10 years.

MB:MSI Z97XPOWER AC
    CPU:Intell Icore7 4790k
    GPU:MSI 2x AMD 290X
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i
    OS:Windows 8.1 64bit)not yet sure i upgrade to windows 10 need to know alot more with integrated cloud and other maybe spy stuff)

• FelixMajorFelixMajor London, ONPosts: 576Member
    Do whatever you want with the above games, just leave Halo out of this!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• maccajnrmaccajnr LA, CAPosts: 86Member Common
    Why not Solitaire in this list? This would be a great mmo
  • toddzetoddze no where, OKPosts: 2,155Member
    Well by todays standards, it seems any game that is online in which you can see other players running around playing the game is an MMO. So it wouldnt be hard to make them "MMO's" Some already have online features, just slap a sub cost on it and there you go. You have an MMO.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• haplo602haplo602 Posts: 212Member Uncommon

mmoRPG.com losing its own game ... how sad ...

When did you start talking in terms of MMO and lost focus of the MMORPG ??? Yes all the games would make great MMOs. Just not one of them would make a good MMORPG...

Plenty of options for MMOFPS, MMORTS etc ...

A good MMORPG needs a living world. Each of the mentioned games does not work when you take the main protagonist out of it. It has too little self-sustainability.

• NetSageNetSage Lake Geneva, WIPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    I don't care what anyone says Pokemon breaths mmo to me.  It's a title that's been around for what 10 years now?  And, what do they keep doing?  Adding new areas with new mobs (how is that any different from an MMO?).  I mean especially with things they introduced like tag team battles and all that it just keeps becoming more social and eventually I feel we may get one.  The only thing I see preventing it is nintendo's/game freaks story lines are all very 1 character focused which would need to change.  It would need to become more of a general catch them all and be the best instead of stop some evil guy imo.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    Nintendo should be releasing a Legend of Zelda MMO.  There is plenty of world/story/characters/items, all the assets are sitting there waiting for the usage.

• justmemyselfandijustmemyselfandi Fresno, CAPosts: 433Member Uncommon

Planet of the Apes.

Human, Ape, and Mutant factions to start.

That is all.