Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] WildStar: Dig In & Explore Nexus, Cupcake

Comments

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Originally posted by acidblood

"Thankfully WildStar doesn’t put tons of text in front of your face for each mission, as NPC interactions are limited to about the size of a tweet. It’s as if they know most people will skip the quest text and just look for the locations on their map.  Don’t get me wrong, Chad Moore has done an incredible job crafting the world and lore of Nexus. If you’re so inclined there are tomes of writing to dive into and explore."

I've read quests text in games before (CoH, Aion, FFXIV and countless SP RPGs) and it greatly adds to my enjoyment of the game. WildStar though; I've tried, nay, forced myself to read the quest text / lore, and I just can't. The lore is either small (mostly) meaningless 'tweets' or just slabs of text... there is no balance. Which is pretty much the issue with the game as a whole, there is no balance, it's all candy all the time... and well, I don't much care for candy.

Couldn't agree more the miniscule amount of story presented in the actual quests makes the game so boring for leveling. They stripped out one of the more enjoyable rpg aspects of MMOs for the sake of streamlining questing.  

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Engineer bot AI should definately be on the "con" list. They're like independent, stubborn aggro magnets with a death wish and no sense of direction whatsoever.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I don't like when an excuse of "art style" is used.There is nothing artistic about the textures used in game they are ALL low poly low end graphics to support a cheaper running game and one that did not need a high level of performance tweaks to make sure it runs smooth.

It is global lighting ,the shadows look poor how can ANY game be rated 10/10 in Aesthetics?Well i guess if you just draw an extremely vague conclusion without looking at any facts.Using vague conclusions we could say every single game on the market is a 10/10 aesthetically.

You can argue that it looks good and i could never argue an opinion since opinions are one's own .However the EXACT same ART STYLE could be attained using BETTER textures/graphics lighting,that is why the art style is nothing more than a cover-up or excuse.It is a technical fact that these graphics are not a 10/.10 ,not even to each opinion because as i said it could be achieved MUCH better while still looking the same.

Aesthetically it is VERY weak and the sole reason i did not want to support this or give it any credit.Another aspect of aesthetics is of course housing,again this is done at the very low end of technical ability,so again it does NOT achieve it's finest hour but instead a weaker version of what it could be.

A 10/10 means they achieved an art style that you like and brought that artistic style to it's maximum potential and in case of WS this is miles from the truth.My point is that even an opinion can be skewed if the reviewer does not have the knowledge to properly review a product.It would be like getting a hockey player to review a new baseball glove,of course he could say "it looks great to me" but it carries no weight.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Some of you people here are hilarious, if it is not your cup of tea it is a paid review? REALLY? Not only are you uncapable of understanding the meaning of the word opinion, you are also an authority of some sorts who knows 'better,' what nonsense you spout. I happen to agree with this review, that does not make it good or bad, just something I can relate to.

The scoring is another interesting thing. Aesthetics is a very smart thing to rate looks on. It looks at it not from a technical point of view (lightning, dynamic shaders, amount of polygons etc.) but from an artistic point of view, is the quality consistent, does it come together as a whole, do the objects on screen move as you feel they should etc. etc. Wildstar comes together perfectly, you might hate how it looks but that is a matter of taste, I happen to think Mario Kart 8 is one of the prettiest 'next gen' games out there.

A lot of these posts border on being absolutely nonsense, opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up. This contrary to Bills piece which might also be opinion but at least he made the effort to back it up with a serious review, not nonsense like 'no WoW clone deserves higher then a 7.' You might not agree with it and that is fine, dismissing it without any decent counter arguments however just makes you look like a fool and a lazy one to boot.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I don't like when an excuse of "art style" is used.There is nothing artistic about the textures used in game they are ALL low poly low end graphics to support a cheaper running game and one that did not need a high level of performance tweaks to make sure it runs smooth.

It is global lighting ,the shadows look poor how can ANY game be rated 10/10 in Aesthetics?Well i guess if you just draw an extremely vague conclusion without looking at any facts.Using vague conclusions we could say every single game on the market is a 10/10 aesthetically.

You can argue that it looks good and i could never argue an opinion since opinions are one's own .However the EXACT same ART STYLE could be attained using BETTER textures/graphics lighting,that is why the art style is nothing more than a cover-up or excuse.It is a technical fact that these graphics are not a 10/.10 ,not even to each opinion because as i said it could be achieved MUCH better while still looking the same.

Aesthetically it is VERY weak and the sole reason i did not want to support this or give it any credit.Another aspect of aesthetics is of course housing,again this is done at the very low end of technical ability,so again it does NOT achieve it's finest hour but instead a weaker version of what it could be.

A 10/10 means they achieved an art style that you like and brought that artistic style to it's maximum potential and in case of WS this is miles from the truth.My point is that even an opinion can be skewed if the reviewer does not have the knowledge to properly review a product.It would be like getting a hockey player to review a new baseball glove,of course he could say "it looks great to me" but it carries no weight.

Lack of knowledge? Sounds like you are talking about your own review...

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Some of you keep bringing up the "quest grind", and some of you are the same people who hated on GW2's Heart Tasks.  At least in GW2, Heart Tasks were purely optional, but they received unfair hate from people.  They weren't hubs, where you have to accept 5+ quests, and they didn't require distant traveling either.  I'm just finding it amusing that people in this thread were hating on Heart Tasks, which didn't resemble traditional Quest Hubs.

As for Wildstar, when seeing the traditional Quest Hubs, where you pick up 5+ quests, then complete and return, it makes me glad i didn't purchase (i wouldn't have anyway due to the artistic style).  Quest Hub MMOs is tiresome.  Ironically, in WoW, they are now optional too, until level 10 (BGs), or level 15 (dungeons).

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    This got a lot higher than I think it should have but then again I don't write game reviews I just play the games so what do I know. I think maybe a 7 would have been more appropriate.
  • onidiusonidius Member Posts: 10
    You forgot to cover the pvp aspect of the game or does that not exist for MMORPG staffs. That would put the game down to 6. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by onidius
    You forgot to cover the pvp aspect of the game or does that not exist for MMORPG staffs. That would put the game down to 6. 

LMAO, that's funny. 

P.S. Sorry if you were being serious. Assuming you're being funny. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

The comment section here: So misinformation. Such clueless. Much haze. Wow.

To raid or run dungeons you don't need to get your AMPs and abilities maxed out, which, yes, will take a long, long time. At max level, once you hit the weekly elder gem cap (takes between 2-4 days, depending on how hard you play), you get extra gold. That extra gold, BTW, you can save up to buy CREDD - like Eve's PLEX - which in turn you can use to pay for your sub.

Yes, dungeons you need for attunement - "veteran dungeons" - are hard as F*CK. Don't expect to PUG these and get through on the first try, much less meet the conditions for attunement. And to those whining about having to get through the dungeons before they can raid: if you can't hack it in the dungeons you are not ready for raiding.

Best way to get through the dungeon phase is to find a steady 5 people group and keep at it with the same group. It saves you time in the setup ("everyone got their food and stim buffs?"), explaining things ("ok, then, in phase 2..."), working out the interrupt order ("me and Bozo will take first cross, Curly, Moe and Larry will take the second, dodge number 3"), and more.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

The comment section here: So misinformation. Such clueless. Much haze. Wow.

To raid or run dungeons you don't need to get your AMPs and abilities maxed out, which, yes, will take a long, long time. At max level, once you hit the weekly elder gem cap (takes between 2-4 days, depending on how hard you play), you get extra gold. That extra gold, BTW, you can save up to buy CREDD - like Eve's PLEX - which in turn you can use to pay for your sub.

Yes, dungeons you need for attunement - "veteran dungeons" - are hard as F*CK. Don't expect to PUG these and get through on the first try, much less meet the conditions for attunement. And to those whining about having to get through the dungeons before they can raid: if you can't hack it in the dungeons you are not ready for raiding.

Best way to get through the dungeon phase is to find a steady 5 people group and keep at it with the same group. It saves you time in the setup ("everyone got their food and stim buffs?"), explaining things ("ok, then, in phase 2..."), working out the interrupt order ("me and Bozo will take first cross, Curly, Moe and Larry will take the second, dodge number 3"), and more.

Reads people complain that duegeons are not that hard but instead tedious and should not be required to raid, that the raids themselves should be the gameplay, not mundane tedious and mostly unchallening tasks; interprates it as people cant hack the dungeons so shouldn't complain about not being able to raid without them....

/#stayclassy

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Wonderful review, Bill!
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    Originally posted by threefeet

Originally posted by JeroKane

you should have your posting rights taken away for doing this with this guys reply. and he should have his taken for writing a freakin book no one but you read.

+1 

I'll get a warning for being snarky... This is just pathetic and rude. I don't even care what was written, if you can't control yourself and post like a rational person, move on.

My original post was properly formatted http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6387516#6387516

Somehow when they quoted it it got all blown out unless they purposefully corrupted it.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Do you know why Wildstar deserves a 10 for aesthetics ? The reason is you can have nice graphics even super great detailed ones but if your art does not flow and does not create a whole world where everything belongs it will not be a complete. The art in Wildstar creates a world with details that pay attention to every aspect and thereby producing a fulfilling and whole experience when you move about in it. This is something  you will not be able to see unless you take off your prejudice and actually look at the game . See Bill gets it and those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to look at this world with those eyes get it too.

I can understand the outrage some of you feel but your eyes are looking at graphics not art. The art in Wildstar is top notch.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Scot
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Scot

Guys, I am not saying they changed the name just for Wildstar. SWTOR did not exactly have top rpg graphics either did it? Aesthetics was called Graphics when the toon look was seen as second rate, something any old PC could handle. MMOs are no longer being held to that strict criteria, why? So that toon looking MMOs do not have a score of Graphics 5, there can be no other reason, unless you know of one?

So is the WS review cooked up? I don't know, not played the game.

Looking at the previous score for Graphics (lets call it what it is) ESO got 9, AoC got 9, Wildstar 10. That's a toon MMO given a score better than MMOs which are nearly as good as the top solo rpg's.

That's a travesty.

Aesthetics means overall artistic value.... Graphics and art are two different things. Even if a game uses a cartoony design doesn't mean the graphics aren't good. Look at Japanese or Korean titles for many examples of great graphical quality, yet stylistic designs chosen over realistic.

This score isn't just about pixel counts, it's about overall balance and creativity.

And why was the scoring changed? Why do you think that MMOs went from being scored like a shooter for quality of graphics to including art in the score? Because so many MMOs even AAA started to use subpar graphics, WS is hardly the first. Art, I think you will agree is much more subjective than graphics, pixel counts (and the rest of what makes for top graphics) are not. That's why graphics makes a better standard as a score. I would prefer two scores though, 'graphics' and 'artistic presentation' say, but bundling them together enables a toon MMO to hide its subpar graphics.

On categories there is a comparison here to film/TV/music awards, every year there seems to be a new award, so more people can get a gong or whatever. In the world of gaming increasing the categories has the same effect, the game must be good at something. :)

On another note, as for the paid review nonsense, posters need to think about how journalists perceive MMOs and how affected they are by a good start and hype. If they gave every new MMO that came out a 7.0, they are not exactly bigging up the industry that their livelihood depends on. If MMOs are getting worse as I believe, I would not expect to see that reflected in the scores. I would expect to keep seeing 8+ and the same scores for MOBA's and any other easymode derivative MMO offshoots. And that's what we get.

I think they use such a scoring system because of the nature of MMO's they are almost always scaled down in the graphics department. There are some exceptions like AOC, but those are few and far between. Considering this that scoring system makes perfect sense to me. The question is will that scoring system change now that they cover more than MMO's.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Eh, a decent read. A little bit gushy for my tastes, an 8.4 to me is not something easily earned. I'd rate the game safely at a 7-7.5 personally until the combat, ui and performance issues are dealt with.

And a game that runs worse than WoW on max settings and doesn't look as good getting a 10 for Aesthetics. Mmm. Don't really agree with that.

Hope everyone continues to have fun in WildStar!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Wow for Real? I'm surprised so many people like this game. Not that you shouldn't. Every gamer has their own tastes on what games they like/dislike but rating any MMORPG a 10 for just simply because of graphics and a twitch gameplay system? No offense, but have you people on mmorpg become sheep going for any carrot that comes along? Are you fanbois? or are you really saying this is a that great of a game? All people did was complain how terrible Age of Conan, Vanguard, All Points Bulliten,  Star Trek Online, Fallen Earth, and EvE Online, but then the very same people highlight games like WoW, Rift and other WoW formula'd themepark games at a 10? When In my view those games are just simplistic theme parks. Not bad games at all, but they are simplistic and same  based formula's that have been done over and over again 10 billion times in every themepark mmorpg that has ever been release, that a lot of adult gamers are sick of but for the kiddy gamers it's new to them so they just think it's batcrazy amazing.

I played Wildstar in beta and thought it was "Alright" but nothing really to shake a stick at. Character creation was "ok". The Undead is always nice. Gameplay is nice but it isn't everything either. Some of you here are even rating this game on "Graphics"? Really? God this website has really gone down the tube in terms of attracting hardcore gamers and more so attracting the silver spooned gamers who like everything done for them. IMO what makes a good MMORPG is an in-depth, complex system which Wildstar does not have because it's a theme park designed for casuals and childern. Right now I'm playing Archeage and Find it more in-depth then all of these simplistic themeparks you have listed on your front page.

Maybe I'm just getting old but it seems this generation of gamers really have no idea how good the games were back in the day and seem to just passively accept hand holding theme park games like this. Yes it's a "nice" looking game, but no game should ever be held in a high regard simply because it looks "Nice" and has a different combat system. I remember almost 8 years ago there used to be some actual Hard Core gamers on this site like Loki666 and others, but I think I see why I don't see them anymore. Most of the real adult hard core MMO players have left this site probably because of what I've noticed over the years here. It makes me wonder if these people are being paid to advertize these reviews because if this was 10 years ago this would of been the less hyped up games on mmorpg.com which it has been many times on here.
  • SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285

It's funny how someone can disagree with someone or something, and be so dumbfounded by the fact that people see it differently to the point of thinking there is some bought-out conspiracy behind it.  No offense, but your definition of what makes a great MMORPG is just one opinion.  

Furthermore, the game is actually relatively difficult, and I haven't even touched the end-game yet.  The game was not built solely for casuals, although there are certainly areas of accessibility for many different kinds of players.  This is great and is what made WoW so successful, which is one of the greatest MMORPG's of all time when you consider many factors (although I won't argue they've went too far in dumbing it down).  Of course, you are free to ignore this since they don't match your opinion of a great game, but it's still the truth.

WildStar is a themepark, for sure, but it's a game that has obviously been crafted for a long time with a lot of care and passion.  It's a product of true quality and I haven't enjoyed an MMORPG this much in quite a while, and I've been playing them since SWG.  You can tell the devs really cared about it.  Will it last?  Who knows!  This market has been crazy for some time now and it's hard for any company to bring in the cash they would like to for maintaining/upgrading their product.  This is a silly thing to really think about though.  You just don't know.  My educated guess is the game will do well for a while though.

The one people are really crying about seems to be aesthetics.  When you actually play the game through, get to level 50, see a lot more of it than beta, the detail and attention paid to all of the small things becomes evident.  Yes, the style is not something everyone will like, but the all-around visual choices, colors, animations, atmosphere, etc., are truly impressive.  The way all of the art direction ties together is beautiful.  As an artist myself, I marvel at slew of little details throughout the game.  I won't lie, I'm surprised at a 10, but I still could have easily gave it a 9 and a 10 isn't insanity, even if the style isn't for you.

Yes, there is plenty to be subjective about, but that doesn't mean that the review is so far wrong and off the wall that they were bribed to say what they said.  Ridiculous.  Just face it, not everyone agrees with your vision, including the ones writing the articles people are reading.  It's not the end of the world.

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu

It's funny how someone can disagree with someone or something, and be so dumbfounded by the fact that people see it differently to the point of thinking there is some bought-out conspiracy behind it.  No offense, but your definition of what makes a great MMORPG is just one opinion.  

Furthermore, the game is actually relatively difficult, and I haven't even touched the end-game yet.  The game was not built solely for casuals, although there are certainly areas of accessibility for many different kinds of players.  This is great and is what made WoW so successful, which is one of the greatest MMORPG's of all time when you consider many factors (although I won't argue they've went too far in dumbing it down).  Of course, you are free to ignore this since they don't match your opinion of a great game, but it's still the truth.

WildStar is a themepark, for sure, but it's a game that has obviously been crafted for a long time with a lot of care and passion.  It's a product of true quality and I haven't enjoyed an MMORPG this much in quite a while, and I've been playing them since SWG.  You can tell the devs really cared about it.  Will it last?  Who knows!  This market has been crazy for some time now and it's hard for any company to bring in the cash they would like to for maintaining/upgrading their product.  This is a silly thing to really think about though.  You just don't know.  My educated guess is the game will do well for a while though.

The one people are really crying about seems to be aesthetics.  When you actually play the game through, get to level 50, see a lot more of it than beta, the detail and attention paid to all of the small things becomes evident.  Yes, the style is not something everyone will like, but the all-around visual choices, colors, animations, atmosphere, etc., are truly impressive.  The way all of the art direction ties together is beautiful.  As an artist myself, I marvel at slew of little details throughout the game.  I won't lie, I'm surprised at a 10, but I still could have easily gave it a 9 and a 10 isn't insanity, even if the style isn't for you.

Yes, there is plenty to be subjective about, but that doesn't mean that the review is so far wrong and off the wall that they were bribed to say what they said.  Ridiculous.  Just face it, not everyone agrees with your vision, including the ones writing the articles people are reading.  It's not the end of the world.

I guess Carbine has you on the payroll. 

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Originally posted by borghive49
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu

I guess Carbine has you on the payroll. 

Oh yeah, totally ;).  Absolutely love that avatar, by the way.

• Mystik86Mystik86 Member CommonPosts: 380
    How did it get a 7 for innovation? I see no innovation. It's space-WoW...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    To be fair with MMO's offering virtually zero in innovation it does not take much for a new MMO to get something of a score. But seven is laughable I am not sure there is a MMO I would have scored higher than 5 since WoW came out on innovation.
  • IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Gel214th

I disagree that the Gameplay combat is worth that score. In my view it is a 6-7 because of the combat issues, as I see them.

The User Interface needs to be like Neverwinter MMO because of how active the combat is. You cannot have combat that is as active as a first person shooter, or a fighting game and then shackle it to a 3rd party standard MMO user interface. 

The Actions per Minute (zergy clicking and tapping keys) required to be effective with some character classes is ridiculous. Pressing buttons, positioning fields, and strafing and dodging all at almost the same time is simply too high a workload for most people, myself included.

There needs to be a combat oriented interface like what Cryptic did with Champions Online, and Neverwinter. If you want to use the standard MMO style, that's fine, but there should be the alternate style as well. 

It's gotten to the point where the mod for locking down the mouselook function, while using a third party program autohotkey to simulate this functionality, is one of the most popular mods that has been downloaded. That should tell the developers something, and I'm hoping they make the change and add the features. 

There is a hold to cast option in the game. It makes it all a lot easier.

Stop whining, every single person in this thread is trolls.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I managed a couple of weeks before the incessant attention grabbing and signposted content got too much. I do prefer sandboxy games but I can stomach some theme parks. This, however, is as far from sandbox as you can get. At every point the game shouts out at you what to do next. And although the crafting is better than that in many MMOs it's not as good as Realm Reborn, which also adds to the gathering mechanic. In fact, Real Reborn is a far better theme park option for me. I can see why Wildstar appeals to the reviewers though, with all the gamey mechanics, signposted content and polish.

Also, I never could warm to the art style.

• GolarumGolarum Member Posts: 151

The reviewer clearly did not play the game!! Or maybe he got an enveloppe from Carbine LOL!! The game is not bad, but that score is not reflective of the game. I got to level 50 within 2 weeks, and I am far from someone who rushes to endgame, I like to enjoy everything an mmo has to offer.

So in 2 weeks, I was lvl 50, maxed crafting and harvesting, maxed settler, had highest speed ''mount'' which is ridiculously slow, had nothing to do in endgame other than grind the same dungeon/adventure and the same pvp battlegrounds over and over again. Longevity a 9 is a joke, Value at 8 is another joke.

Polish at 8? Are you kidding me? the game has so many game breaking bugs it's crazy, even my character was broken, 3 of my main skills did not work as intended, how can you release a game with broken classes? I don't care about broken quests or things like that, they can be fixed, but broken classes? That is an insult to the gaming community. On top of that, when you report a bug, all they do is send you an email saying they're busy and out of maybe 10 different reports you send them, they will answer maybe one in which they will say the problem is you and not them lol!

I can go on and on about how this review is ridiculous, but I will stop here, and don't think I'm a hater, I give ALL games a chance, I always preorder the highest edition of a game, I play with an open mind knowing that it's a release and problems will be present, but this game is so far from an 8.4, I would give it a 6 tops, not one point more, and I am being generous.

Maybe the game will be better in a year or two, but for now, it's far from being a decent game.