Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Is This the Game We Were Promised?

124

Comments

  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,095Member Uncommon

    I use to not like the game at all but now I do.

    Raptr Gamercard
  • goemoegoemoe HannoverPosts: 183Member Uncommon

    Is Guild Wars 2 the game you thought it would be?

    Yes and no. Yes, it is (has been) a great game in its release version with all I hoped that would be there. But now the game is two years old and a typical feature off MMOs, the development, new content, new reasons to play are void. For me, GW2 has the tiniest development of all MMOs I've played. The lifeless story has neither been living nor story at all.

    For me the game lacks two things:

    1. A new management who like the game and not follow weird ideas

    2. A good sound expansion

    Perhaps this game would have become better, if it had been a subbed game, but this is esay to say now. The release version has been great, but after that I got the feeling that totally different people have been working for it before and after the release.

    I have played it for about 18 month. I won't come back without a real expansion. LS sucks.

  • LudwikLudwik Rochester, NYPosts: 401Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Impulse47

    GW2 PvP is such a joke I simply cannot understand how the same company produced both games.

    It's the same company in name only.

    Jeff Strain and most of the original GW crew left about half way through development of GW2. 

  • NDC19NDC19 GentPosts: 23Member

    This game was hyped big-time, but it didn't deliver.

     

    No grind?! The game is full of it, with a lot of vertical instead of horizontal progression.

    Balanced combat?! Zerk meta for pve; condibunk for pvp

    There's a hundred more things I could sum up that are bad about GW2, but I won't cause a lot of them are obvious.

     

    Conclusion: don't buy this game

  • ButtskiButtski NilPosts: 185Member Uncommon

    lol haters gonna hate (and 99,99% of those complaining about pvp in gw2 are just sh*t at pvp'ing).

    after the hardcore faceplanting of teso and wildstar, gw2 is still the king of pvp (and pls... don't come with stuff like that '1button-superawesome-darkfall-pvp. it's just terrible...).

  • Originally posted by Keller

    GW2 misses community content. You do not need a guild, only a few people on your friendlist and you are good to go.

     

    Guildmissions? Just pay attention and you can join any guild for 2 hours, get your tokens and you can leave again. Next week they will even whisper you if you want to join again.

     

    WvWvW? Join a zerg and you will rack in your points.

     

    Big World Events? Lion Arch will be spammed if they need more hands. Otherwise watch the timer mods and see where the commander tag is on the map.

     

    Huge World Events? Okay, these actually require some coordination. Tequatl Hunting Guild is a multi-server endeavour. Not a true guild. You join TS at set times, you will hear what server the party will be and 30 minutes later you will be getting your loot.

     

    Small World Events? The dynamic quest hubs? 10 minutes later the hub is under attack again. Whatever you have done (solo) is undone and starts over and over and over.

     

    Dungeons & Fractals? Only a few people on your friendlist required.

    Exactly what i think too. After a while the game become very stagnant and repetitive, moreover another main issue for me is the fragmentation, everything is instanced and separated, everything seems so bland.

    I back sometimes to play in dungeons and follow the big zerg in WvW, but after a bit i log out bored because what i'm doing is pretty pointless and has no meaning, no impact on the world around me.

  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Stopped to play Gw2 as that heart questing and "random dynamic" or whatever proved to be much under regular questing from other mmo's. Just got sick of that heart jumping around the world or just mindlessly running around the world.
  • JeyhuJeyhu Ottawa, ONPosts: 84Member
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    The syncing of your level per zone is what killed it for me, cause no matter how strong and high level you be in every zone you go you're weak and low level again so it beats the purpose of leveling for me.

     

  • JeyhuJeyhu Ottawa, ONPosts: 84Member
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    The syncing of your level per zone is what killed it for me, cause no matter how strong and high level you be in every zone you go you're weak and low level again so it beats the purpose of leveling for me.
     

    You know why they did this right?  So you can experience the lower level content with other friends who aren't quite up to your level yet.  I did this with my friend, I still got loot at times I could use and I still leveled although more slowly.  Sorry that you think you need to feel like you got some giant e  peen or something, but going through those low level zones as a high level in the old system would have been a complete waste of time other then some achievements.

    Go back to WoW

  • jcsadonejcsadone WroclawPosts: 58Member Uncommon

    Nope.I'm not sure what do you mean by "I like to look back at the MMO Manifesto they posted years ago, and compare it to the game.  For the most part, ArenaNet kept their promises". Opinions - opinions. For me, GW2 is nothing like the manifesto. It's a sick twist and laugh in the face from the manifesto. But give it a rest.

    GW2 is a nice game. Nothing like we were promised to get, nothing I personally wanned, but still it's fun game. Most underdelivered game I ever played, or in other words - amazingly wasted potential.

    I had tons of fun with this product, hours of great joy with friends... but I'll still call it a big fat fiasco. They've put it to the grave for me with first season of Living Story, because no matter how hard they will try now, how many awesome things they will implement, it's a third or fourth game for me now. First to uninstall when I need some space and last to check on long, boring, rainy day.

     
  • threefeetthreefeet FunafutiPosts: 156Member
    it fell short of its own hype.
     
    this last 'Living World 2' with the tiny area, not even a map, put the last nail in the coffin for me. I was already going to give up because wvw completely died after seas 2 when many of our people left. expecting a huge maguuma map to explore and got handed nothing with this dud release. with some lesbian drama, not lore, that we dont need. i play games to escape reality, not to be joined by it. dont need the lezzies in mah game k tnx. and if they leave them in can at least take out the drama garbage and stick to the plot.
     
    now i bought wildstar and have begun that.
  • threefeetthreefeet FunafutiPosts: 156Member
    Originally posted by Jeyhu
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    The syncing of your level per zone is what killed it for me, cause no matter how strong and high level you be in every zone you go you're weak and low level again so it beats the purpose of leveling for me.

     

    so what are you saying you would rather level on maps that are below yours?

     

  • mep630mep630 parrish, FLPosts: 23Member
    to go from the deep character creation in gw1 to the cookie cutter crap in gw2 was a slap in the face to all gw1 fans.  Sure it was a decent game, but it still dont hold a candle to how gw1 involved me.  to think of the hours I spent making character and team builds....  gw2 is garbage, sorry
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    The syncing of your level per zone is what killed it for me, cause no matter how strong and high level you be in every zone you go you're weak and low level again so it beats the purpose of leveling for me.

    This is completely false.

    By simply adding proper runes and item combos, a tweaked character will be way way stronger than a new character.

    A high level character simply adds on that.

    Anyone can do that experience.

    Make a new character, add +10 power runes to each piece of your armor, add a minor sigil of bloodlust and a minor sigil of speed and blast through the areas.

    That has nothing to do with the problem of the game down leveling you whether you want it to or not. For me it's not so much that it just weakens your character so much as it doesn't give me the choice to downlevel.

    I got the impression I was answering SamuraiXIV comment that it made your character weaker - it doesn't, you will breeze through the content unless you are a very bad player or never played more than a couple of hours.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by mep630
    to go from the deep character creation in gw1 to the cookie cutter crap in gw2 was a slap in the face to all gw1 fans.  Sure it was a decent game, but it still dont hold a candle to how gw1 involved me.  to think of the hours I spent making character and team builds....  gw2 is garbage, sorry

    You spent hours making builds and that was the fun part. Not the gameplay itself.

     

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,816Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DamonVile

    If the developers delivered what they promised....I misunderstood what they were promising. When I saw this game at pax 2 years before it launched I told all my friends it was the game I was most looking forward to. By the time it launched I had a bad feeling about it and decided to wait.

    A friend ended up buying it for me because he wanted to play it so much ( yeah he's weird like that ) and after a month I couldn't bring myself to log in. I thought he was going to be pissed but when I told him he laughed and said he'd been trying to figure out a way to tell me.

    I understand the game has done well but GW2 did more to show me what I don't want in an mmo rather then show me the evolution of them.

    Actually what I saw of GW2 some 3 years ago seems to be there in the game.

    Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

  • grimfallgrimfall Missouri City, TXPosts: 1,155Member Uncommon

    GW1 fan wasn't disappointed by GW2. Just say that and save 1000 words.

    I played GW2 for more hours (20) than I did the original (10), so it's an improvement, and it's  fair to call it an MMORPG, which the first wasn't, but despite the BTP model I didn't stick with it.

  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

    Guild Wars 2 will probably always get hazed around here. Mainly because of the infamous manifesto video. But also the most abrassive fans I've experienced. Any criticism of the game was met with "you just don't get it" or "you have been brainwashed by wow clones". Bunch of condescending bs

  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon
    I bought the game because I thought the WvW would be the successor to DAOC. All WvW is is an expanded arena match.So I left,feeling duped....again.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Home, GAPosts: 2,083Member
    Originally posted by Foomerang

    Guild Wars 2 will probably always get hazed around here. Mainly because of the infamous manifesto video. But also the most abrassive fans I've experienced. Any criticism of the game was met with "you just don't get it" or "you have been brainwashed by wow clones". Bunch of condescending bs

    Preach on, any criticism constructive or not is met with name calling and condescension. It's been very trying for those of us who care about the future of the game.

    Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Foomerang Guild Wars 2 will probably always get hazed around here. Mainly because of the infamous manifesto video. But also the most abrassive fans I've experienced. Any criticism of the game was met with "you just don't get it" or "you have been brainwashed by wow clones". Bunch of condescending bs
    Preach on, any criticism constructive or not is met with name calling and condescension. It's been very trying for those of us who care about the future of the game.

    Most of the extreme fanatics are "gone". Most likely some new forum account. I actually enjoy reading up on new content for this game and I'm glad an mmo choice like this one is available. It definitely fills a niche that was warranted.

  • KaerellaKaerella NorthwoodPosts: 16Member Common

    Much as I enjoy GW2, and like the way even high-level players can have fun in the lower level areas, the thing that's annoying people in World versus World lately is hackers, generally (for our server at least) from Far Shiverpeaks... it's greatly annoying to be killed by something invisible, with a combat record of about twenty "Unknown hits you for 884" (or 412) "using Fiery Rush" in a second or two... the hacker even does it inside our keep!   Someone was saying that it's not healthy to mention this in the official forums, but Anet really needs to fix this.

     

  • YumeTsukaiYumeTsukai The last hopePosts: 19Member

    Stupid question perhaps but... are all article writers here specific game fanatics/ paid reviewers?

    "When you look at Guild Wars 2 as a whole, it turned out to be almost perfect" - is this why almost everyone is playing GW2 now ? Well, they're not, so go figure.

    I'm not saying that GW2 is a bad game, but on every single review this site makes it looks like they're praising EVERY DAMN GAME and not pointing out the major flaws so that developers can improve in the future. (Wildstar - artistic impression/graphics: 10)

    Has GW2 managed to deliver? Yes, for some. Not for me.

    Thinking back on their manifesto, I later realized that it was just pure marketing. Dynamic events that will have an impact on the world? Seriously? Those things are just repeatable quests which pop up after a certain timer. If you finish part A, you get part B after. Rinse and repeat. In the end, nothing changes.

    I was so freaking excited when watching that manifesto... I imagined I could find myself a new world.. one to interract with new people, make friends, beat challenges together, change the world and have fun! Overall the social system is SO BAD that until level 40 I did not find the need to interact with anyone. Then I quit.

    And I tried to play it again last weekend.. only to be hit in the forehead by the freaking cash shop. That's why I hate FTP/BTP games... I'll gladly pay a subscription and make sure at least I have access to all the content of the game when I choose to play it.

    To summarize:

    - Dynamic events were just repeatable quests, pimped up by awesome marketing

    - Social system is bleak and can often go unnoticed

    - Grinding? that's just an excuse for lack of content.

    - Personal story - Yeah. I have a great personal story alternative - it's called Mass Effect/Dragon age. And it's a waaay lot better.

    - Cash shop? No thanks. It's like paying for subscription in advance. A way lot more. Ruins immersion, personal achievements. 

    Call me a hater, but I really wanted GW2 to succeed. At least it has, for some. I'll just have to wait a while longer.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member
    Most of the promises were kept eventually, but not all. Still, Great game and looking forward To Living Story Season 2.

    imageimage
  • LokbergLokberg OlsoPosts: 315Member
    Originally posted by YumeTsukai

    Stupid question perhaps but... are all article writers here specific game fanatics/ paid reviewers?

    "When you look at Guild Wars 2 as a whole, it turned out to be almost perfect" - is this why almost everyone is playing GW2 now ? Well, they're not, so go figure.

    I'm not saying that GW2 is a bad game, but on every single review this site makes it looks like they're praising EVERY DAMN GAME and not pointing out the major flaws so that developers can improve in the future. (Wildstar - artistic impression/graphics: 10)

    Has GW2 managed to deliver? Yes, for some. Not for me.

    Thinking back on their manifesto, I later realized that it was just pure marketing. Dynamic events that will have an impact on the world? Seriously? Those things are just repeatable quests which pop up after a certain timer. If you finish part A, you get part B after. Rinse and repeat. In the end, nothing changes.

    I was so freaking excited when watching that manifesto... I imagined I could find myself a new world.. one to interract with new people, make friends, beat challenges together, change the world and have fun! Overall the social system is SO BAD that until level 40 I did not find the need to interact with anyone. Then I quit.

    And I tried to play it again last weekend.. only to be hit in the forehead by the freaking cash shop. That's why I hate FTP/BTP games... I'll gladly pay a subscription and make sure at least I have access to all the content of the game when I choose to play it.

    To summarize:

    - Dynamic events were just repeatable quests, pimped up by awesome marketing

    - Social system is bleak and can often go unnoticed

    - Grinding? that's just an excuse for lack of content.

    - Personal story - Yeah. I have a great personal story alternative - it's called Mass Effect/Dragon age. And it's a waaay lot better.

    - Cash shop? No thanks. It's like paying for subscription in advance. A way lot more. Ruins immersion, personal achievements. 

    Call me a hater, but I really wanted GW2 to succeed. At least it has, for some. I'll just have to wait a while longer.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    What in guildwars 2 do you have to spend cash to get in said cashshop again?

    I bought the copperfed salvagetomatic for pure convenience the 3 infinite harvesting tools for the same thing will take a long time untill it turns a profit gold vise since i turned gold into gems to afford it.

    Still got 4.4k gems converted from gold and havent seen a single thing to spend them on, and im not a player that sit on the ah to get money i play the game and save up.

    I recon I grinded about 3k gold totally and got 1.5k on my wallet still.

    Its not hard to get gold in guildwars 2 and convert it to gems so you dont have to feed the game anything more then the one time fee.

     

    And if you cant bother to login and get living story for free the two weeks its up you can fork up the 200 gems for each chapter in my honest oppinion.

    2581 hours for 60 bucks is a steal for me game wise.

     

    Edit

    And the social system aint the problem mate its most likely you, no system can make you talk to people.

    The grind in guildwars 2 is optional you dont have to have legendary weapons and ascended armor to do any of the content, maybe the higher level fractals im only on 40 with 1 ascended weapon and jewelery/backpiece so far

Sign In or Register to comment.