Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Is This the Game We Were Promised?

Comments

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

I briefly played GW1. The no-jumping threw me off, and I couldn't get into the combat. I think I was more inclined to WoW's system. When a friend told me about GW2, I was intrigued but not fully hooked. But reading about the game got me curious... to a point of pre-ordering the game.

When the first beta weekend rolled out, it was the MMO I was looking for: no gear-grind; equal gear in PvP; free roaming leveling.

It's what the manifesto promised. Although when ascended gear was announced, I was wary that they'll break one of their promises. But when they released it, the increase in stats was minimal that it was negligible unless you're into min/maxing.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

GW2 started strong, but it got sidetracked with their Living Story experiment.  Sure, the article mentions how Anet delivered on their promises with quests, events, grinding, etc., but the game we had at launch, is no longer being developed for.  This article is too positive, and ignores the future development of what GW2 has become, mainly the Living Story soap opera.  GW2 will be 2 years old in a month, and it hardly has anything to show for it.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I think somewhere down the road Anet lost their vision. I remember the announcement of their "separate dev teams" so that new types of content would be released regularly. Obviously they over promised and under delivered.

That being said I still do enjoy the game but strongly believe it did not go the way they wanted, or the players hoped.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

yes, this is the game we were promised.

they told us everything about the game and what to expect and they did deliver it.

Now it might've stranded from that original path and the recent changes with the living story (which didn't really improve) made me dislike that aspect of the game but overal it's a good game I guess.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Ludwik

PvE and sPvP lived up to expectations. I think this modes were done well and continue to be developed well.

WvW is a bit of a letdown and seems to have been abandoned these days.

sPvP lived up to its expectations... Sure it did. Look at what a huge esport it has become... /sarcasm.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Ludwik

PvE and sPvP lived up to expectations. I think this modes were done well and continue to be developed well.

WvW is a bit of a letdown and seems to have been abandoned these days.

sPvP lived up to its expectations... Sure it did. Look at what a huge esport it has become... /sarcasm.....

Wow. I had missed this somehow. The PvE leveling experience was great, PvE at 80 was non-existent or poor at best.

SPvP....Was a complete joke, and still is. Log in right now. How many people are playing matches in SPvP? In a game that has sold over 3 million copies. The Esports thing is laughable, and SPvP has nearly always been dead space, barren of human life since about 3 months after release.

And then you go to say the only saving grace with a reasonably large population throughout the day is a letdown? I just. I don't even. Have you played GW2 at all? Without WvW, the game would have suffered a silent death a long time ago due to all the broken promises from Anet and lack of development/content.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DacrioS

I think they gave what they've promised. Many people got bored of the game because they came looking for the same other MMOs were giving them.

I really think it was the opposite, I think many jumped in expecting this grand new take on the MMO, and were sad to see many of the same old tropes under new names.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DacrioSDacrioS Member Posts: 3

The Tengu shall come, all with new weapons for existing and new profesions, and this discusion shall end...

Imagine the world breaking apart because of Mordremoth, the sixth elder dragon, and all the peoples of Tyria joining and siding with the tengu, travelling across the now free os Zhaitan Sea of Sorrows to the land of Cantha, looking for new allies.

But Cantha is the land of eternal conflict, Faction Wars, Guild Halls, and so many other things awaits...

Sounds nice? Sure! And we know ArenaNet can deliver. Just hope they announce something soon, now that Wildstar has gone live.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Almost perfect? I guess we have different views of what make a perfect MMO. GW 2 lasted less than SW:TOR for me. Atleast that game had a good storyline. GW 2 was bland and the last 20 levels I felt was meaningless as they gave me no usable skills.

Game was a huge dissapointment for me.

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

Biggest improvements for me:

Ways to earn rewards and levels through sPVP greatly improved, now we need more game modes

Fortnightly log in opens Living story content to be played when you like, so you can not play for a season and generally have a ton of 'end game content'.

Wardrobe makes collecting my worthwhile.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

it's fun as a fake mmo but it's hard to really get attached to it

just a casual time killer

• moravamorava Member UncommonPosts: 31

Currently I think that we got more then we were promised. Before game released no one ever talked about Fractals, Living Story, free updates every two weeks, Guild Missions, Daily/Monthly achievements, Edge of the Mists etc.

My impression is that ANet are doing their best to make game as good as they can. Someone will like it someone will not but I have no doubt that their intentions are honest.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    The level synching ruined it for me, sure gaining levels gives you means to higher content, but I never really had that feeling of power. To me, the levels were redundant, just might of well done a quest chain that led you to new content. Or, perhaps go down to a system like the one TSW has. My opinion. 

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    Originally posted by Foomerang

They promised 30+ mini games throughout all of the main cities, instanced housing to be a major part of the game, dynamic events were permanent (towns stay saved).

Something about swinging a sword over and over heh

Towns do stay saved, until they get attacked again. It wouldn't be very "dynamic" if nothing changed after you completed it. That would be a static change event.

All the so called dynamic events do is run the same script over and over. They give you the illusion of change...that's all.

• cprikcprik Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I thought i would like it and all the promises were fullfilled i guess. But at the end of the day you need NOTHING to get anything in this game. Mmorpgs needs to be somewhat "hardcore" if you will in order to stay alive, cus people are gonna try to beat it no matter how boring or grindy it is. Gw2 is too casual
  • kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    There was more of a community feeling in GW1 with its *instanced* maps, than in GW2 with its shared maps.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by cprik
    I thought i would like it and all the promises were fullfilled i guess. But at the end of the day you need NOTHING to get anything in this game. Mmorpgs needs to be somewhat "hardcore" if you will in order to stay alive, cus people are gonna try to beat it no matter how boring or grindy it is. Gw2 is too casual

Not all mmo's need to require you to have no life outside of your dayjob to be able to get something done. I personally like it for the fact I can skip playing for months and hop back in and stay caught up cause it gives me time to play other games.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    No game could ever possibly live up to their manifesto. That video was and is embarrassing to watch.
  • BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Keller

GW2 misses community content. You do not need a guild, only a few people on your friendlist and you are good to go.

Guildmissions? Just pay attention and you can join any guild for 2 hours, get your tokens and you can leave again. Next week they will even whisper you if you want to join again.

WvWvW? Join a zerg and you will rack in your points.

Big World Events? Lion Arch will be spammed if they need more hands. Otherwise watch the timer mods and see where the commander tag is on the map.

Huge World Events? Okay, these actually require some coordination. Tequatl Hunting Guild is a multi-server endeavour. Not a true guild. You join TS at set times, you will hear what server the party will be and 30 minutes later you will be getting your loot.

Small World Events? The dynamic quest hubs? 10 minutes later the hub is under attack again. Whatever you have done (solo) is undone and starts over and over and over.

Dungeons & Fractals? Only a few people on your friendlist required.

Sure I agree that you don't really need a guild but then again do you in any mmo if you have friends on your friendslist?

I never needed a guild in wow cause most of my friends played with other guilds and if you wanted to join then I usually could.

I feel that this is the way for every mmo but doesn't it get alot easier with a guild?

YES! With a guild you don't have to run around hoping that you can join in other guilds guildmissions.

With a guild you don't have to play with randoms in a dungeon and this is usually a really good thing.

Being apart of a guild is a huge advantage in any game and it's no different in guild wars 2.

Otherwise I feel that Arenanet have delivered on most of there promises and I really love there game.

Only downside to this game is that they do need an expansion, cause we want new weapons, crafting, classes, races and more land to explore.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Keller

GW2 misses community content. You do not need a guild, only a few people on your friendlist and you are good to go.

Guildmissions? Just pay attention and you can join any guild for 2 hours, get your tokens and you can leave again. Next week they will even whisper you if you want to join again.

WvWvW? Join a zerg and you will rack in your points.

Big World Events? Lion Arch will be spammed if they need more hands. Otherwise watch the timer mods and see where the commander tag is on the map.

Huge World Events? Okay, these actually require some coordination. Tequatl Hunting Guild is a multi-server endeavour. Not a true guild. You join TS at set times, you will hear what server the party will be and 30 minutes later you will be getting your loot.

Small World Events? The dynamic quest hubs? 10 minutes later the hub is under attack again. Whatever you have done (solo) is undone and starts over and over and over.

Dungeons & Fractals? Only a few people on your friendlist required.

Sure I agree that you don't really need a guild but then again do you in any mmo if you have friends on your friendslist?

I never needed a guild in wow cause most of my friends played with other guilds and if you wanted to join then I usually could.

I feel that this is the way for every mmo but doesn't it get alot easier with a guild?

YES! With a guild you don't have to run around hoping that you can join in other guilds guildmissions.

With a guild you don't have to play with randoms in a dungeon and this is usually a really good thing.

Being apart of a guild is a huge advantage in any game and it's no different in guild wars 2.

Otherwise I feel that Arenanet have delivered on most of there promises and I really love there game.

Only downside to this game is that they do need an expansion, cause we want new weapons, crafting, classes, races and more land to explore.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    If it werent for the jumping puzzles I never would have made it to 80.

played a million mmo's

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83
    If it werent for the jumping puzzles I never would have made it to 80.

played a million mmo's

• Impulse47Impulse47 Member UncommonPosts: 159

Guild Wars 2 is but a hollow shell of its predecessor.

Why they chose to emphasize PvE so heavily in GW2 is beyond my comprehension.  I mean, for a time, GvG in GW1 reached e-sport levels.  All they had to do was take that game and polish it up.  Open the world up, add jumping puzzles, but keep every other god damn thing the same.  They would have made the ultimate MMO.

GW2 PvP is such a joke I simply cannot understand how the same company produced both games.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I use to not like the game at all but now I do.

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272

Is Guild Wars 2 the game you thought it would be?

Yes and no. Yes, it is (has been) a great game in its release version with all I hoped that would be there. But now the game is two years old and a typical feature off MMOs, the development, new content, new reasons to play are void. For me, GW2 has the tiniest development of all MMOs I've played. The lifeless story has neither been living nor story at all.

For me the game lacks two things:

1. A new management who like the game and not follow weird ideas

2. A good sound expansion

Perhaps this game would have become better, if it had been a subbed game, but this is esay to say now. The release version has been great, but after that I got the feeling that totally different people have been working for it before and after the release.

I have played it for about 18 month. I won't come back without a real expansion. LS sucks.