Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 5 Singleplayer Games That Could Be MMOs

Comments

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

The Wheel of Time would make a terrible MMO. I love the books, but it's generic fantasy and we certainly don't need another one of those MMOs. Think about it? To make a WoT MMO characters would have to be so terribly average - a member of the Caemlyn guard, a Whitecloak, a Gleeman. Nothing special there whatsoever. You're not going to have people running around as Aes Sedai, or Ogier, it just wouldn't work. You're going to have thousands of players and make them all ta'veren just to explain why they're a bit special? No thanks.

Dune on the other hand. Yes please! Arrakis - the first sandbox :)

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I don't get the people who say we don't need anymore MMOs.

Choice is freedom. The more MMOs to choose from, the more chance you will find one that you like.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

A pokemon MMO would probably be insanely popular. I could fancy it topping WoW on a serious note.

Shame Nintendo churn out the same drivel every year and will never go to the lengths to make one.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by danwest58
    We have too many MMOs as it is.  We dont need anymore.  

Yet I am not really content with what is available at the moment. A lot of people are not.

Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I know its not a game, but the MMO I am waiting for is Wheel of Time. I dont care how much fun Im having in my current MMO. I would drop it in a heart beat to play in that game space. 

I loved the books but never thought it would make a good mmo world. The story is pretty hard line like LotR was and it has issues like no male casters or at least not for long :) I'm sure in the right hands it could be done well I just don't see how you could ever really feel like part of that story.

The MMO itself would not have to be at the same timeline as the books. It could easily be before or after. Shamefully Robert Jordan died. So I doubt we see true new content for Wheel of time. Brandon Sanderson simply finished the books mainly with material already thought out by Robert Jordan...well at least the main plotlines. I do not believe he would be allowed (or anyone else) to create new content for it. 

Actually before the first breaking would be perfect. From the few things you learn about that age in the book. It would make a nice setting for a MMO. 

Yeah after or before ( after would be better imo ) would make an interesting world. There was a whole world off continent that could be used. As far as I know his wife holds the rights so you never know. She may let other writers do an old republic type of thing. I think that would be a cool way to carry on his legacy.

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Kangaroomouse
    Originally posted by IMPYRE

Are we talking theme park mass multiplayer online or sandbox mmorpg's with these 5 titles?

Honestly, we don't need anymore theme park mmo games.

Dune the MMORPG would be very ambitious. The mounts, the skills and the scenery on the different starting planets. It's perfect for a RvRvRvRvR... everyone against everyone the price is Arrakis and thus, the Universe!

----

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I think if you included the other houses worlds as places to go the IP would lose something to all but it's most die hard fans.

I loved Dune as rts and i think its a good ip for a sandbox mmo

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

there was a halo mmo in development.

it was cancelled.

heres some screenshots.

http://imgur.com/a/mTL5H?gallery

heres a little blurb gamasutra had about it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/111103/Exclusive_Ensemble_Studios_Canceled_Project_Was_Halo_MMO.php

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Take every single player game ever made and throw them into a giant crater. Then point at it. Behold, your new mmos!

• KangaroomouseKangaroomouse Member Posts: 394

Are we talking theme park mass multiplayer online or sandbox mmorpg's with these 5 titles?

Dune the MMORPG would be very ambitious. The mounts, the skills and the scenery on the different starting planets. It's perfect for a RvRvRvRvR... everyone against everyone the price is Arrakis and thus, the Universe!

----

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I think if you included the other houses worlds as places to go the IP would lose something to all but it's most die hard fans.

With just Harkonnen and Atreides it would be very boring. You need at least the Padisha Emperor, the spacing (out) guild, the Fremen and the Bene Gesserit. 

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Another vote for Dune MMO here. But by god let it be made by a development studio that can really make it amazing and isn't forced to rush the game to completion, I've already seen my beloved Conan franchise be ruined and wouldn't want the same for Dune. 

I'd also be really interested in GTA MMO. 

• VolumendsVolumends Member UncommonPosts: 41

Only Fallout that I respect as Fallout is 1st and 2nd. Tactics, 3 and New Vegas is just sh*t compared to two first.

BTW there are Fallout online. Use google and find TLA MK2, Fonline, Fonline:Reloaded. 

Both Fonlines are "easy" if you played F1/2 like madman. TLA MK2 is just psycho, unfriendly and full of Russian players - and thats why people like it :-))))

MSI GE70 - i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, 8gb ram, 750gb 7200RPM HDD and 128gb SSD

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I know its not a game, but the MMO I am waiting for is Wheel of Time. I dont care how much fun Im having in my current MMO. I would drop it in a heart beat to play in that game space. 

I loved the books but never thought it would make a good mmo world. The story is pretty hard line like LotR was and it has issues like no male casters or at least not for long :) I'm sure in the right hands it could be done well I just don't see how you could ever really feel like part of that story.

I think the game should be set just before the last battle or shortly after. Both would give lots of options for conflict and classes. Or they could even go back back to before the breaking of the world and tell Lews Therin Telamon's story.

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

Pokemon and Fallout could be very interesting if well made. There is one ip that i would love to be made a real mmorpg, Mechwarriors, if well done it would make my day (or years).

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    I've been a loyal fan of Fallout series (1, 2, Tactics, 3, NV). I'm wary of a Fallout MMO after the ESO debacle. Also, VATS is the hallmark of the Fallout series, and not having that would take away what makes it a Fallout game.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Arskaaa

Fallout mmo just must have. 

mass effect effect would be better then Star wars imo, its less childish.

cant comment others, not played them.

There's already a Fallout MMO,

it's called Fallen Earth.

And in any case, there hasn't been a single good MMO based off of a singleplayer game. They just don't translate well. Stop trying.

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    we dont need them,

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    not interested in any of those as an MMO.  I would look at books for MMO ideas, they can be used for story and setting without the baggage that single player games like skyrim or mass effect come with.
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Any game you pick will just end up getting hyped beyond expectations and then the posts would begin how the company failed.

I wish gaming companies would walk away from making another mmorpg and let the experts find one of the many available to play.

The genre is bloated with people who cannot judge a game before spending money on it.

• HadorakHadorak Member Posts: 25

----

With just Harkonnen and Atreides it would be very boring. You need at least the Padisha Emperor, the spacing (out) guild, the Fremen and the Bene Gesserit. 

A Dune MMORPG already has my vote. Where do I sign up? :D

• GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

I would love to see good MMO's made out of some single player games (Half-Life would be another), but the thing is I think devs have to make good original IP games before they make another MMO out of a single player game we love.    Elder Scrolls online, it should have been a great MMO, but it isn't.  It seems the writer of the article likes it, and its a decent MMO but compared to the single player experience its crap.  We need MMO's made from our loved single player games that are as good, if not better than the single player versions, not just some ok passable game that people will play for nostalgia purpose.

So until a few exceptional MMO's come out that are original IP, I don't think a dev should touch our beloved single player games.  That may never happen and if not then I'm ok with that.  I'd rather not see one of my favorite games become a generic MMO.

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    We just don't have enough single player, theme park mmo's failing already. 
  • miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Just bring us a good sandbox mmorpg and call it

Oh hell yeah the books were awesome :)  and yes there was a good called dune 2000 in 1998 and it was a RTS .

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533
    Originally posted by cujo603
    We just don't have enough single player, theme park mmo's failing already. 

If all these failed MMO's follow the same path of......

1) Lots of players at launch

2) The tourists leave leaving the players who actually want to play the game doing so

3) repeat for next new MMO launch

Some would say this is the natural path of MMO's.

Or people can continue posting about how the genre is in such a shambles because it doesn't meet their expectations because they chose to not do any research into the game.

I should stop because once people realize its their unattainable expectations this site would get allot less traffic.

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342

Please, NO!

I used to think it would be great having my beloved IP's turned into MMO's... But not anymore, I don't want my SP games being butchered into sub par games (even more than what most devs are doing these days).

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    These are all pretty great suggestions. Mass Effect and Fallout would both be pretty perfect properties. I would still like to see a real Shadowrun MMO, especially as an RPG and not a FPS, would be cool, even has "questing" as a major part of the established IP... I mean that is what  runs are, quests.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Nice write up and agree on Fallout and Mass Effect.  Be interesting to see how Microsoft would make an MMO, they have the talent but not sure if they have enough motivation to do it. Halo could be awesome as a MMO.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!