Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is crafting worthwhile?

gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
I noticed that there is a crafting system in this game. Is this system worthwhile at all or just some gimmick? I hate putting so much time into crafting only to find out one month down the road that it is actually worthless in terms of getting money or that raid drops totally overshadow it. If this is the case i will just focus on the other aspects of the game instead.  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Comments

• mal.chia.66mal.chia.66 Member CommonPosts: 19

You can find a very decent review here on MMORPG, where you can find plenty info regarding WS crafting. 

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Worth it to who?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• bartlioliobartliolio Member Posts: 15

In my experience, the gear crafting professions (Weaponsmith, Armorer, Outfitter, and Tailor) are good at letting you make small upgrades to your gear, if you level and craft simultaneously. At max level-- they are perhaps the best way to get your first set of dungeon-worthy gear, but after you get into veterans, they become useless.

The prospect of selling gear is a bit slim, because the costs of producing most of the level-50 gear are high. Unless you enjoy crafting i would just recommend commissioning gear or buying gear when needed. You'll save a lot of time and end up spending a similar amount of gold. 

• The crafting system is actually pretty full featured and can make some rather good stuff.

HOWEVER.  This is a game for raiders.  That is all you need to know.  This game is based on uber drops from bosses.  Anyone who crafts should understand what this implies for crafting.  It means its just fluff in the end.  Crafting is just a minor iteration on top of the loot drop system and that is all it can ever be.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by gestalt11

The crafting system is actually pretty full featured and can make some rather good stuff.

HOWEVER.  This is a game for raiders.  That is all you need to know.  This game is based on uber drops from bosses.  Anyone who crafts should understand what this implies for crafting.  It means its just fluff in the end.  Crafting is just a minor iteration on top of the loot drop system and that is all it can ever be.

Thanks! that's the answer i was looking for! I'll keep that in mind.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by gessekai332
    Originally posted by gestalt11 The crafting system is actually pretty full featured and can make some rather good stuff.   HOWEVER.  This is a game for raiders.  That is all you need to know.  This game is based on uber drops from bosses.  Anyone who crafts should understand what this implies for crafting.  It means its just fluff in the end.  Crafting is just a minor iteration on top of the loot drop system and that is all it can ever be.

You can make a successful crafting system in a raid progression game. Carbine has laid the foundation for one. What they do with it from here on out is anybody's guess. The key word is diversify.
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Raiders will always need potions and food.  In LARGE supply.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by gessekai332

Originally posted by gestalt11 The crafting system is actually pretty full featured and can make some rather good stuff.   HOWEVER.  This is a game for raiders.  That is all you need to know.  This game is based on uber drops from bosses.  Anyone who crafts should understand what this implies for crafting.  It means its just fluff in the end.  Crafting is just a minor iteration on top of the loot drop system and that is all it can ever be.
    You can make a successful crafting system in a raid progression game. Carbine has laid the foundation for one. What they do with it from here on out is anybody's guess. The key word is diversify.

I disagree with this.  Other than consumable crafting, raiding games never have, what  I would consider, any sort of item crafting that is anything but completely mediocre.

Sometimes you can craft nice items by using crafting components that are dropped from raid bosses.  But this is just a more complex form of trading in tokens.  Its not an actual quality crafting system.

You want some side game to have some minor customization, that's cool, but don't confuse it with a real quality crafting system like old Star War Galaxies.

Raiding games can never allow a good crafting system like SWG had because they literally need people salivating over the raid drops.   Some people make the mistake of thinking the raid drop portion can be just another level of "gathering" that simply adds a more scarce layer of resource collection of a "good" crafting system.  This is wrong due to a number of inter locking factors that would take a very long post for me to write out and which most people wouldn't read, so I am going to leave this as a statement rather than a well founded argument.

Suffice it to say there has never been a raid game with anything other than a thinly disguised token trading system they call crafting that is therefore a mediocre crafting system.  And there will never be a successful raid game that has anything other than a mediocre crafting system since the raid drop system will necessarily undermine the mechanics that allow a crafter to be economically viable as well as provide unique and rare item variations and the developers themselves simply cannot allow people to salivate over a crafted item you can buy rather than a dropped item that is gated via content timesinks.   

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by gessekai332 Originally posted by gestalt11 The crafting system is actually pretty full featured and can make some rather good stuff.   HOWEVER.  This is a game for raiders.  That is all you need to know.  This game is based on uber drops from bosses.  Anyone who crafts should understand what this implies for crafting.  It means its just fluff in the end.  Crafting is just a minor iteration on top of the loot drop system and that is all it can ever be.
    I disagree with this.  Other than consumable crafting, raiding games never have, what  I would consider, any sort of item crafting that is anything but completely mediocre.

Sometimes you can craft nice items by using crafting components that are dropped from raid bosses.  But this is just a more complex form of trading in tokens.  Its not an actual quality crafting system.

You want some side game to have some minor customization, that's cool, but don't confuse it with a real quality crafting system like old Star War Galaxies.

Raiding games can never allow a good crafting system like SWG had because they literally need people salivating over the raid drops.   Some people make the mistake of thinking the raid drop portion can be just another level of "gathering" that simply adds a more scarce layer of resource collection of a "good" crafting system.  This is wrong due to a number of inter locking factors that would take a very long post for me to write out and which most people wouldn't read, so I am going to leave this as a statement rather than a well founded argument.

Suffice it to say there has never been a raid game with anything other than a thinly disguised token trading system they call crafting that is therefore a mediocre crafting system.  And there will never be a successful raid game that has anything other than a mediocre crafting system since the raid drop system will necessarily undermine the mechanics that allow a crafter to be economically viable as well as provide unique and rare item variations and the developers themselves simply cannot allow people to salivate over a crafted item you can buy rather than a dropped item that is gated via content timesinks.   

In FFXIV, the top end combat gear is dropped in raids. But it has one of the best gathering/crafting/economy systems in an mmo right now.

I can go into details if youd like.