Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Unholy Wars - The MMO you've never heard of

mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161

Darkfall, as a title, has been around for years now but has always seemed to slip under the mainstream radar. Why it does is an absolute mystery. The developers, Aventurine, have been working hard to bring huge changes to their original release and we have now been presented with their latest offering: Darkfall Unholy Wars.

From the moment you first create your character and step into the world of Agon you already sense there is something different about this game.

Read the whole article in http://www.team-dignitas.net/articles/blogs/Article/5332/Darkfall-Unholy-Wars-The-MMO-youve-never-heard-of/

Comments

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    great review.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I went to give it another try but they don't accept paypal so didn't bother. I remember they were so shady when the game launched so I'm not entrusting my money with them without the protection of paypal.
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    Genuinely, ffapvp for me is a huge turn off.  It just attracts a lot of people I would choose not to play with.  
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by tixylix
    I went to give it another try but they don't accept paypal so didn't bother. I remember they were so shady when the game launched so I'm not entrusting my money with them without the protection of paypal.

What was "shady" about them when they launched? If they were a shady company, they wouldn't still be alive, much less with a growing population of players.

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161

I paid with Paypal yesterday and they accepted it. They said something about accepting PaySafe Card.  Anyway explain the shady part?  Is there another one where people will buy reoccurring subscription and then blame AV when they themselves forget to cancel it?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

What was "shady" about them when they launched? If they were a shady company, they wouldn't still be alive, much less with a growing population of players.

Not sure about release but when they were known as Razorwax ( I think that was it ) they were really really really really shady. It was hilarious stuff.

They haven't been known as Razorwax since 2003.

And if by "shady" you mean, didn't show many videos of the game until the year it was about to release...?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

This game has the worst community I've ever encountered. There are even racist/homophobic city names. Global chat is a hate filled playground for the worst of the worst. When they start policing this behavior I'll start playing it again.

FFA PvP doesn't ruin games, the people who play them do.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Originally posted by Utinni

This game has the worst community I've ever encountered. There are even racist/homophobic city names. Global chat is a hate filled playground for the worst of the worst. When they start policing this behavior I'll start playing it again.

You really are naïve.

Simply have global chat on another tab and ignore it 99% of the time.

Join a clan, hop on TeamSpeak etc and enjoy what really is a good community.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer
    Genuinely, ffapvp for me is a huge turn off.  It just attracts a lot of people I would choose not to play with.  

With clans and alliances, it's not really FFA... it's more like Player-Made Faction/RVR.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Most here have heard of the game...most here do not like it...it would seem
  • kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I heard of the original game when it was released and I got tired of trying to buy it. They bumbled the actual purchasing of the game so badly I just wrote the company off as useless.
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Shady would be Adventurine double hitting your account for game buy, than billing your sub after you cancel it. It was a whole big thing and they refused to give refunds. 

• Acidon.NumenAcidon.Numen Member Posts: 55

Yep, because StarVault was shut down years ago.. Oh wait.  image

I'm fairly sure everyone here has heard of that little niche game.  I think there was a rap song about it.. Something like "Ganksta's Paradise"?

Please Note: I'm done arguing with unreasonable people with an agenda and/or those that fail to see logic.

Argue if you must, discount my post with anti-logic and/or Hyperbole. I won't be responding any longer.

• mmoesportsmmoesports Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Malathoos
    Shady would be Adventurine double hitting your account for game buy, than billing your sub after you cancel it. It was a whole big thing and they refused to give refunds. 

This is a popular trick used by many.  See if it works with Netflix.  Call them and say you cancel you sub without actually cancelling it and see if you can get a refund  :-) 

I heard this accusation in every sub based MMORPG.  If you have a proof of cancellation all you have to do is send your credit card company a dispute and you will get all your money back.  Shady user I will say!

Originally posted by kartool
    I heard of the original game when it was released and I got tired of trying to buy it. They bumbled the actual purchasing of the game so badly I just wrote the company off as useless.

They did a staged release, because there were way more people interested than their server could handle.

They offered limited numbers of copies per day so that people couldn't buy the game and then get stuck in a queue unable to play it.

That's useless? Most other companies would have taken the money and laughed all the way to the bank even if you couldn't play.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by Utinni

You can't even name cities....

And the community is definitely not the worst, not by a long shot. Basically every new themepark that the swarm jumps to and devours is filled with stupid trolls. It's the internet. It happens. The difference is Darkfall is a small enough game that you don't have the swarms and swarms of trolls in global chat. You just have a small handful of trolls that you can just easily block and never hear from them again. By and large the community is very helpful. There are a lot of egos flying around, but it makes for fun and interesting politics.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

Tasos Flambouras = Shady

There are plenty of gamers that have heard of Darkfall or DF 2010 or DF 2.0 or DF Unholy Wars. This is not some new game, the original which DF:UW is simply a revamp of took 8 years of hype and broken promises to release.

Lets not forget the whole eurogamer debacle...

or how about the NA transfer debacle...

or the flat out website removal of promised content in order to get the game out of the door...

Darkfall: Unholy Wars is far from unknown... it is well known with a well known developer who is no longer trusted by many.

That being said $14.95 is pretty cheap for anyone wanting to give it a shot. I personally won't touch anything that has Tasos involved ever again though.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I came back when I noticed that steam added subscription for Darkfall and was finally fully on steam. I am pretty happy that I came back. They added a mentor system which was a really good move in my opinion considering I felt overwhelmed with everything I had to learn but having a good mentor is really awesome for getting all of my questions answered. Not to mention that means you someone with high prowess helping you grind out mobs/feats!

• SenensisSenensis Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Good read, thanks for the write-up :)
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by atziluth

That being said $14.95 is pretty cheap for anyone wanting to give it a shot. I personally won't touch anything that has Tasos involved ever again though.

That is too bad for you.  AV has been working really hard to regain the trust of the community, especially people like you.  Doing what they say they will do, consistent patches, listening to the feedback of players and acting on that feedback.  It really feels like a different company now. 

Yes, a lot of people have heard of Darkfall and have stayed away due to the bad rep of old.  Darkfall is probably the best game that they will never play.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Darkfall was a great game.. played it from start to finish.. Sure a few things needed to be tweaked and added to make it amazing but sadly they decided to release Darkfall: Unholy Wars instead.. they knid of removed everything that was good in Darkfall added in a super bad UI, bad character movment, removed all the races and replaced them with humans with different skins (to fix this lore wise they make up some odd stories about Humans and Dwarfs mating, basically turning the dwarfs into humands with less beard options.. no mention of what happened to the orcs or other races but i guess the humans mated with those as well), added amazing feats that are basically quests that consist of kiling mobs over and over and I dont just mean like 10 times knid of like normal mmo quests nope.. 100s and 100s of times.. you could also afk hit a tree forever to make an amazing character..

They have now back tracked on some of the above amazing ideas and are slowly worknig to bring it back to its former glory but sadly last patch they decided a cash shop would be a very good idea and how now added items to what is a full loot ffa pvp game that you cant actually loot.. AMAZING

I guess one good thing is that AV are actually trying now..

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Caldrin Darkfall was a great game.. played it from start to finish.. Sure a few things needed to be tweaked and added to make it amazing but sadly they decided to release Darkfall: Unholy Wars instead.. they knid of removed everything that was good in Darkfall added in a super bad UI, bad character movment, removed all the races and replaced them with humans with different skins (to fix this lore wise they make up some odd stories about Humans and Dwarfs mating, basically turning the dwarfs into humands with less beard options.. no mention of what happened to the orcs or other races but i guess the humans mated with those as well), added amazing feats that are basically quests that consist of kiling mobs over and over and I dont just mean like 10 times knid of like normal mmo quests nope.. 100s and 100s of times.. you could also afk hit a tree forever to make an amazing character.. They have now back tracked on some of the above amazing ideas and are slowly worknig to bring it back to its former glory but sadly last patch they decided a cash shop would be a very good idea and how now added items to what is a full loot ffa pvp game that you cant actually loot.. AMAZING   I guess one good thing is that AV are actually trying now..    

You might enjoy this read Caldrin:

The Unholy Wars

What follows is an accounting of the events that transpired after the revelation and return of the Goddess of old, thought to have demised during the Usurper Wars over one hundred and fifty thousand years ago.

There was no warning. In a mighty crescendo the moons came crashing together. And then, Her gaze was there. The one moon foretold to return, the Eye of the Goddess.

It was the voice of the Watcher, our patron, who announced her arrival.

It was the voice of the Watcher that bade us join her and ascend to her holy bastions.

And, finally we understood, it was the voice of the Watcher that came from the lips of the Goddess herself.

Quickly, the Demon Onchylus, one of the Dark Coven who direct the demon hordes from within the Twilight Kingdom, ordered his armies to begin a massive incursion. The ensuing battle between light and dark has lasted for centuries, and the mortals pay dearly.

The first to suffer were Melek’s children. In his arrogance he confronted the Goddess. In reply she destroyed him utterly. The Alfar were with no god, no guidance...and the Mirdain descended upon them in a hateful tide of righteous wrath.

Almost completely unbeknownst to all, a tremendous host of Dwarves marched from beneath their mountain, hidden within their ranks was a great and mysterious techno-magical device. A device devised eons ago by the great Master Engineer Ymir himself.

Thus it was that when the massive army of Dwarves burst onto the field where order and chaos fought heaviest, they were met with little and unorganized resistance. Thousands of dwarves gave their lives that the host would continue, carrying their secret cargo to the center of the battle.

Suddenly and with no warning, a vast explosion of magic and searing flame burst from the center of the Dwarven ranks. All who fought within 10 miles were instantly wiped from the face of Agon.

Thus did the Dwarves finally achieve Ymir’s legacy, and sacrifice their lives that Agon may be gifted one small opportunity to survive this unholy war.

Staggered by their losses, the Goddess and the Demon Onchylus withdrew to regroup, lick their wounds, and plot, while they continue to test each other’s strength.

The mortal races too continued to battle. Until finally the Ork-folk, moved and humbled by the terrible and selfless sacrifice of their Dwarven enemies, forced an ending to all hostilities with an iron fist, initiating a parley and, eventually, a tentative truce of sorts.

Now is the time for the mortal races to stand as one and to wage unholy war upon their gods and demons!

From the desk of Arturo Vandalay
    Humble Acolyte of the Watcher
    “We are the architects of our own Serenity.. now”

• BonebladeBoneblade Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Darkfall was a great game.. played it from start to finish.. Sure a few things needed to be tweaked and added to make it amazing but sadly they decided to release Darkfall: Unholy Wars instead.. they knid of removed everything that was good in Darkfall added in a super bad UI, bad character movment, removed all the races and replaced them with humans with different skins (to fix this lore wise they make up some odd stories about Humans and Dwarfs mating, basically turning the dwarfs into humands with less beard options.. no mention of what happened to the orcs or other races but i guess the humans mated with those as well), added amazing feats that are basically quests that consist of kiling mobs over and over and I dont just mean like 10 times knid of like normal mmo quests nope.. 100s and 100s of times.. you could also afk hit a tree forever to make an amazing character..

They have now back tracked on some of the above amazing ideas and are slowly worknig to bring it back to its former glory but sadly last patch they decided a cash shop would be a very good idea and how now added items to what is a full loot ffa pvp game that you cant actually loot.. AMAZING

I guess one good thing is that AV are actually trying now..

You are incredibly poorly informed, and spreading that misinformation is doing potential players an injustice. This is a great PvP game in the same vein as EvE online, with a thriving, persistent in game world and brutal clan warfare.

Quick facts / full disclosure: 

I played Darkfall 1.0 for 2 weeks and quit due to the grind.

I played Darkfall: Unholy Wars upon release for 2 months, they completely rebalanced the game and the "grindfall" was finally over and the game was vastly improved both graphically, mechanically and for widescale playability. I cancelled my subscription after my clan fell apart through no fault of the Devs.

I resubbed after their Custom Roles patch in June, 2014, and have been having a blast ever since. 

A few direct counterpoints to some things you mentioned:

1. UI and Character Movement / combat have been constantly tweaked and improved since release. The patch they released on 7/2 was specifically highlighted for a rework of the way melee hit detection is run and many people agree it was a significant improvement and step back towards the successful system employed in DFO.

2. You cannot AFK harvest a tree, ore node, or anything for an amazing character. This would get you some prowess but certainly not enough to be viable, and is very boring, and NOT the intended method of progressing your char.  Darkfall used to be a skillgrind game aka Ultima Online, whatever skill you used had a chance of ranking up as you used it. This was very grindy. Now they have Prowess Points. You gain Prowess points from doing just about everything (including harvesting a tree), but especially killing monsters, exploring, crafting and completing feats. These points can then be spent however you want on developing your character.

3. You are totally dead wrong about the cash shop. It does not contain ANY items that give you an in-game advantage or can be equipped and be used in combat. Items currently offered in the cash shop include a decorative 4th of July hat (which can be looted, AFAIK), non-damaging fireworks, a prowess reset to spec your character, and a character renaming tool that does NOT remove you from anyone's ignore lists / etc.

Rumored additions to the cash shop include a barber shop item to recustomize your toon's appearance and other cosmetic, non-combat oriented features.

Anyone considering this game should give it a serious look. It is better now than ever before, and the Devs at AV seem to be genuinely kicking into high gear to get the game into fighting shape. GL HF out there.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

They haven't been known as Razorwax since 2003.

And if by "shady" you mean, didn't show many videos of the game until the year it was about to release...?

Nah. I wont get into any of it but I am sure you can dig around and find a good bit.