Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starcraft UNIVERSE !?!

BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

would you donate for beta to give it a spin? i for one would cool looking concept

would you buy it or are you even intrigued?

heres a link   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747939120/starcraft-universe?ref=discovery

dosent look all that bad..something to plop into and get your zerg on lol but i deff would not pay a  monthly fee for something like this unless theres alot more to it

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I don't like buggy mods and I don't like people making money of of others hard work.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Does Blizzard know about this? If they do, why are they letting these guys make money off their IP?
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by jusomdude
    Does Blizzard know about this? If they do, why are they letting these guys make money off their IP?

They do know they gave them permission to launch a kickstarter.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

the devs said hes more than welcome to try his concept and hes more than welcome to proceed if he has the funds to fund it

making money off of others is what this world is all about now sry to say that but it is true

Originally posted by jusomdude

ya watch some of the video it tells his story ..or skip thru it

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    I saw that already and opted not to donate mostly because its F2P and if I like it ill buy stuff. Rather just wait.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Easy.... nope
  • BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

The Kickstarter project may succeed.  But it's likely that this will have to go to Blizzard for final review.  And then it will most likely get shot down and never see the light of day.

There was already a World of Starcraft MOD/conversion created (3-4 years ago, at least).  Blizz shut that down.

If Blizz is okay with the Kickstarter, there would likely be something on their official page pointing to the Kickstarter... asking for their customers input.

Not saying this is the same thing, but most people that run 'private WoW' servers say 'oh yeah, Blizz knows about us... they don't have a problem with us'.  Wrong.

Until there is a reference to this project on Blizz's official site... I'll call bogus on the support. 

Originally posted by BlackWatch

The Kickstarter project may succeed.  But it's likely that this will have to go to Blizzard for final review.  And then it will most likely get shot down and never see the light of day.

There was already a World of Starcraft MOD/conversion created (3-4 years ago, at least).  Blizz shut that down.

If Blizz is okay with the Kickstarter, there would likely be something on their official page pointing to the Kickstarter... asking for their customers input.

Not saying this is the same thing, but most people that run 'private WoW' servers say 'oh yeah, Blizz knows about us... they don't have a problem with us'.  Wrong.

Until there is a reference to this project on Blizz's official site... I'll call bogus on the support. 

ah yes i really didnt think of it like that..but all n all its a cool concept imo

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

Its open source now if you didnt know. No one needs their permission to make a game like this anymore, all that they require is that its free. Which it is. Blizzard already talked to them about this game as well and enjoyed how it was coming along a few years back. 

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Yay wow 2.0, blizz should fund this not from donations. They may even be behind it...
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

Is this a joke... Upheaval Arts was fully funded from this KS in 2013. The game is already available through the Battle.net arcade. Those of us who donated were given some interesting in-game perks, that were mostly cosmetic and pet oriented.

Anyone can play this now. Just don't go into it expecting a rich MMO experience. At most it's an interesting extension of the SC games with a third person, single player feel. 

I think big kudos should be given to the group over at Upheaval Arts, they went to Bliz, were basically told "good-luck and develop with the tools that Bliz provides,  AND don't expect Bliz to $$ support the project. Seemed like a cute pat-on-the-head type of response with a free t-shirt on the way out of the door.

The UA group (basically 2 guys running the show) went to KS, showed the guts of their plan, provided an Alpha as proof-of-concept, generated excitement, and produced (on time) EXACTLY what they said they would. RESPECT to these gents is all I can muster.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

ah yes i really didnt think of it like that..but all n all its a cool concept imo

Most people that run private servers tend to host them in countries where they are legally all but untouchable though.

I imagine a Kickstarter project can easily be shot down by Blizzard for copyright violations. Guess we'll know whether it's legit or not soon enough.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Is this a joke... Upheaval Arts was fully funded from this KS in 2013. The game is already available through the Battle.net arcade. Those of us who donated were given some interesting in-game perks, that were mostly cosmetic and pet oriented.

Anyone can play this now. Just don't go into it expecting a rich MMO experience. At most it's an interesting extension of the SC games with a third person, single player feel. 

I think big kudos should be given to the group over at Upheaval Arts, they went to Bliz, were basically told "good-luck and develop with the tools that Bliz provides,  AND don't expect Bliz to $$ support the project. Seemed like a cute pat-on-the-head type of response with a free t-shirt on the way out of the door.

The UA group (basically 2 guys running the show) went to KS, showed the guts of their plan, provided an Alpha as proof-of-concept, generated excitement, and produced (on time) EXACTLY what they said they would. RESPECT to these gents is all I can muster.

Ah, very cool.

While I might not have much interest in playing it, I definitely applaude their achievement.  image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Played this over a year ago...well at least the prelude prototype thingy and I gotta say for a 2 man team it is damn impressive. Well worth a look if you have SC 2.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

It has been available on the Arcade for quite some time.

There was already a World of Starcraft MOD/conversion created (3-4 years ago, at least).  

Blizz shut that down.

Incorrect again. World of Starcraft is Starcraft Universe. Blizzard simply asked them to use a slightly different variation of the name, they didn't want the "World of" association for obvious reasons.

What customers? nobody is selling anything. UA isn't associated with Blizzard Entertainment in any way, shape or form. Blizzard openly supports this project, but they aren't exactly rushing to plaster a project from a separate studio, mod or not, all over their websites.

You're right, it's nowhere near the same thing.

You need to educate yourself a lot better on this particular subject, because the assumptions and comparisons you are making are absolutely absurd. A simple google search immediately invalidates all of your skepticism within seconds.

They put it on the Arcade months ago, it doesn't get any more official than that.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    While it is hugely impressive (in terms of effort of it's creators), I've played it and it's not worth spending money on.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Rusque
    While it is hugely impressive (in terms of effort of it's creators), I've played it and it's not worth spending money on.

No IMHO? Then you shot yourself in the foot. In terms of quality and control scheme it matches up to some fairly popular mobile MMOs and I dislike those and this but I am not daft enough to think my opinion equates to such a fundamental truth as being not worth money.

• hammarushammarus Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I would not donate money to a kickstarter, where Blizzard then had the final say.  Simple as that.