Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] WildStar: Dig In & Explore Nexus, Cupcake

Comments

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer
    That score is too high IMO; but then most scores on this site are.  How can you give innovation a 7 when there is no innovation? 

Because reviews are as much opinion pieces as they are informative ones.  Personal taste is going to effect a score and if someone doesn't like some aspect of a title it's obviously going to be rated lower on their own personal scale.

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

Decent enough review - I would have liked the reviewer to have included more details on crafting and housing. I agree closely with the review, however  I would feel the need to deduct a point or so off for the poor optimization that the game still suffers from, as well as the over use of telegraphs in PvP.

If this is the new WoW, Carbine did a pretty decent job I would say. I am worried about longevity as I have logged in twice in the past week to create new characters only to find the starter areas empty (as in less than 5 people in entire zone) but that is a different subject all together.

Originally posted by Perjure

Decent enough review - I would have liked the reviewer to have included more details on crafting and housing. I agree closely with the review, however  I would feel the need to deduct a point or so off for the poor optimization that the game still suffers from, as well as the over use of telegraphs in PvP.

If this is the new WoW, Carbine did a pretty decent job I would say. I am worried about longevity as I have logged in twice in the past week to create new characters only to fine the starter areas empty (as in less than 5 people in entire zone) but that is a different subject all together.

The issue isn't the quality of the game as much as how many other games it's competing with.  It has no name branding to get people to try it and is relying a lot on it's quirky sense of humor to retain people.   There are many games out there on the F2P market that give a similar experience as well, despite the unique aspects of the combat system.   It's sort of like watching a pair of larpers at a medieval fair pick different weapons to fight each other with: Going from Swords to flails is going to be a different experience, but the over all situation is that they are still participating in melee combat.  That is the kind of situation MMORPGs in the themepark genre are knee deep into now.

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179

Originally posted by NightHaveN

The idea of getting a "key" or getting attuned for a raid comes from old WoW.  Even WoW MoP use the Celestial cloak attunement as a requirement to be able to participate and kill celestial world bosses.  And that takes a lot to farm to get one, and while you only need 1 char with it on your server, still is something that takes more than 1 month to get... a lot more.

Also they always said that raiding was done for those that will commit to it, and not for the masses.

Like I always told my brother... MMO's is about End Game.  If you don't want to spend time farming and working that end-game, and want a fast ending, then MMO's is not for you.

mmo are not about the end game,tha tis the idea that wow,saying okay lets skip the game and go to the end.you may play mmo for the end game,others DO NOT.YOU DO NOT get to tlel other what the game is for.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    As someone who played this game for awhile I feel some of these scores are too high.  I know you need review higher so you dont bite the hands that feed you.  We all get that now and have seen the many examples of this.  That being said, the innovation of this game is average at best.  Even people who love this game have said its plays just like (insert game here).  Secondly this game does nothing to break the rut and eventually becomes annoying to the point where you simply do not wish to play anymore.  Heard this many times and saw people start falling in off the wagon in game.   There seems to be more and more threads about this lately here and in other places.  Why not factor this into the rating as well since its clearly becoming an issue?
  • IG88IG88 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Good article :)

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'd play it it, if it weren't for two reasons:

a) being stuck with the same weapon design

b) being able to basically buy ingame gold

The first one just causes boredom for me. I love getting new weapon types in MMORPGs. Being stuck with the same one just sucks. There's no reason for it either. It's just the devs saying "we can save money there".

And the second... Well, I just like it if people can't buy everything with real money in multiplayer games. I could never really congratulate a player in Wildstar since he might have just bought everything.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    As someone who played this game for awhile I feel some of these scores are too high.  I know you need review higher so you dont bite the hands that feed you.  We all get that now and have seen the many examples of this.  That being said, the innovation of this game is average at best.  Even people who love this game have said its plays just like (insert game here).  Secondly this game does nothing to break the rut and eventually becomes annoying to the point where you simply do not wish to play anymore.  Heard this many times and saw people start falling in off the wagon in game.   There seems to be more and more threads about this lately here and in other places.  Why not factor this into the rating as well since its clearly becoming an issue?

Yeah, my brother ran into the same issue with the game that you're describing.   It's probably one of those "sounds great on paper, but in reality..." kind of experiences.  Well, that or the falling off is happening because there isn't really a good way to try out the game before buying, so the only way to find out if its a good fit to the player is to go out and buy it.

• TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by maji

The first one just causes boredom for me. I love getting new weapon types in MMORPGs. Being stuck with the same one just sucks. There's no reason for it either. It's just the devs saying "we can save money there".

And the second... Well, I just like it if people can't buy everything with real money in multiplayer games. I could never really congratulate a player in Wildstar since he might have just bought everything.

You cant buy raid gear...Try again.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by kosac

+ Beautiful stylized world & characters...

what? WTB Eyes!

That's not from the review right? It is a toon! I have no idea of gameplay, it could be fabulous to play, but a toon is a toon.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Should have gotten a score no lower then 8.7 IMO. I think its a solid 9 when you compare it too all the 1/2 done MMOs we have gotten over the years. There has not been as solid an MMO since Rift came out. Before that EVE and before that WoW. 
  • AneuAneu Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Terrible review. 
  • SuperchieftianSuperchieftian Member Posts: 88

Pretty damn obvious that this is a paid review. After a month of spamming Wildstar all over their site, it is impossible to deny it. Hell, they gave ESO a way higher score then it deserved and that was obviously the same case.

No WoW clone deserves over a 7.

• demonsongdemonsong Member Posts: 6

MMORPG.com normally has good reviews and I am a fan of yours Bill. But I am not convinced you even played this game. Wild Star is a festering pile of junk with almost no redeeming features. A rating of 8.4 tells me the fix is in or that you're on drugs Bill. I am very disappointed.

-Overkill is a legitimate business tactic.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

"Thankfully WildStar doesn’t put tons of text in front of your face for each mission, as NPC interactions are limited to about the size of a tweet. It’s as if they know most people will skip the quest text and just look for the locations on their map.  Don’t get me wrong, Chad Moore has done an incredible job crafting the world and lore of Nexus. If you’re so inclined there are tomes of writing to dive into and explore."

I've read quests text in games before (CoH, Aion, FFXIV and countless SP RPGs) and it greatly adds to my enjoyment of the game. WildStar though; I've tried, nay, forced myself to read the quest text / lore, and I just can't. The lore is either small (mostly) meaningless 'tweets' or just slabs of text... there is no balance. Which is pretty much the issue with the game as a whole, there is no balance, it's all candy all the time... and well, I don't much care for candy.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Very good game.

Essentially WoW in space ....with some improvements.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by TankYou88
    Originally posted by maji

You cant buy raid gear...Try again.

If you can buy 90% of the stuff in the game with real money, that's worse enough for me.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

You know what I love most about his game: -

• Killing hundreds of rats during the most credible, dynamic quests i have seen in at least a week
    • Clusterfuck pvp 
    • Dodging out of a circle rather than a square.  
    This game has it all, it is at least a 9/10.  
  • CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72

I don't mind the categories  used. Longevity makes sense, because they gotta keep people interested and Social aspect is very important in an mmo and WS gives you a lot of options for keeping in touch with ppl. The game isn't bad. I love pvp and so I just played the moodie masks, I hated the other once cause it was long winded and if you were losing it felt like a chore. They kinder screwed pvper's with this game, especially since they ignored the pvp bots with just ruined it for me.

The game isn't bad, I won't resub now but i'll definitely comeback to it. It gives you a lot to do, but not really enough of the things you may enjoy.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I had wanted to say more but upon reading the comments here I think it would be pointless. This game seems to have polarized people and quite frankly the paid review part is very unfair to Bill. I think he did play and gave it a fair review and I agree with much of it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Scot

Guys, I am not saying they changed the name just for Wildstar. SWTOR did not exactly have top rpg graphics either did it? Aesthetics was called Graphics when the toon look was seen as second rate, something any old PC could handle. MMOs are no longer being held to that strict criteria, why? So that toon looking MMOs do not have a score of Graphics 5, there can be no other reason, unless you know of one?

So is the WS review cooked up? I don't know, not played the game.

Looking at the previous score for Graphics (lets call it what it is) ESO got 9, AoC got 9, Wildstar 10. That's a toon MMO given a score better than MMOs which are nearly as good as the top solo rpg's.

That's a travesty.

Aesthetics means overall artistic value.... Graphics and art are two different things. Even if a game uses a cartoony design doesn't mean the graphics aren't good. Look at Japanese or Korean titles for many examples of great graphical quality, yet stylistic designs chosen over realistic.

This score isn't just about pixel counts, it's about overall balance and creativity.

And why was the scoring changed? Why do you think that MMOs went from being scored like a shooter for quality of graphics to including art in the score? Because so many MMOs even AAA started to use subpar graphics, WS is hardly the first. Art, I think you will agree is much more subjective than graphics, pixel counts (and the rest of what makes for top graphics) are not. That's why graphics makes a better standard as a score. I would prefer two scores though, 'graphics' and 'artistic presentation' say, but bundling them together enables a toon MMO to hide its subpar graphics.

On categories there is a comparison here to film/TV/music awards, every year there seems to be a new award, so more people can get a gong or whatever. In the world of gaming increasing the categories has the same effect, the game must be good at something. :)

On another note, as for the paid review nonsense, posters need to think about how journalists perceive MMOs and how affected they are by a good start and hype. If they gave every new MMO that came out a 7.0, they are not exactly bigging up the industry that their livelihood depends on. If MMOs are getting worse as I believe, I would not expect to see that reflected in the scores. I would expect to keep seeing 8+ and the same scores for MOBA's and any other easymode derivative MMO offshoots. And that's what we get.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

I don't think you can give a valid final review unless you've spent at least a bit of time at level cap doing the "elder game."

60 hours is not much, really. That's just a review of leveling.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Fair enough score.

Some people reactions are priceless i will say, you would have thought the Carbine and Mmorog staff had offended them in some way.

Seems something can't just be accepted or discussed civil regardless of what game it is on here, there has to be some underhanded methods involved. "How dare a game that i didn't like get a just above average score, heretics, blasphemy. This must be the work of the mystical unicorn order, curse them. Fooling people into thinking other games can be good" 

*shrug* 

• EquintinEquintin Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Very nice read now you got me wanting to try this game.|I guess ill be on the lookout for a 7-day guest pass.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Nice game...for a month for me.....I'm already done with it..

Couldnt stand all the colors and graphics...but hey, each his own.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe