Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

still to many violent games

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by DamonVile

What's really crazy is the direct relationship you attribute to killing in a game vrs killing in real life. Ripping a peace of paper is violent and has about as much meaning as shooting a pixel in a game to a normal person.

well I do not believe most people sleep at night dreaming of being able to shot people and then wake up happy that they found a game that allows them to.

So.

1. these games do not represent what we do in life

2. these games do not represent what we want to do in life.

so I guess what you are telling me is that there is a HUGE opportunirty here for developers, which is basically what I am saying. thus you agree with me

I'll agree there is a market for non violent games. I wont agree that there are too many or that there is a problem with having them. SOME may go too far with it but some go too far with sex and just about every other emotion we have.

I want to be very clear here.

I don give a flying flat fuck how violent they are. At my very core human existance I do not have a problem with violence. I do not want that bullshit to get confused with what I am saying here.

I am saying that although violence is part of life the amount of games that have it is far out of scale.

I hope to fuck that clears things up. This is not a debate over bullshit moralism

Well now you're just arguing supply and demand. If what you were saying was true people would be buying up other types of game and driving that market. It's the same complaint ppl seem to have with themeparks. If people really didn't want them, they wouldn't play them.

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

What's really crazy is the direct relationship you attribute to killing in a game vrs killing in real life. Ripping a peace of paper is violent and has about as much meaning as shooting a pixel in a game to a normal person.

well I do not believe most people sleep at night dreaming of being able to shot people and then wake up happy that they found a game that allows them to.

So.

so I guess what you are telling me is that there is a HUGE opportunirty here for developers, which is basically what I am saying. thus you agree with me

I'll agree there is a market for non violent games. I wont agree that there are too many or that there is a problem with having them. SOME may go too far with it but some go too far with sex and just about every other emotion we have.

I don give a flying flat fuck how violent they are. At my very core human existance I do not have a problem with violence. I do not want that bullshit to get confused with what I am saying here.

I am saying that although violence is part of life the amount of games that have it is far out of scale.

I hope to fuck that clears things up. This is not a debate over bullshit moralism

That's your opinion, and its your right to have it. It's also your right to not play those games. More power to you.

But you started this whole stupid ass post about them to bring it to our attention how you feel.

Personally I don't play games just for the violence, but I also don't care if they are overly violent just as I don't care if they are overly sexualized as long as the game is fun to play.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

So.

Well now you're just arguing supply and demand. If what you were saying was true people would be buying up other types of game and driving that market. It's the same complaint ppl seem to have with themeparks. If people really didn't want them, they wouldn't play them.

I have no interest in what market forces dictate.  My issue is the utter arrogance of anyone with religious beliefs who feel they have a monopoly on morality.  They need to drag their heads out of their arse and realise what they think is true is bullshit.  Nothing annoys me more than that level of misunderstanding of evolution.  If you wanna believe in God and some divine morality you are frankly a moron.  We are social creatures and reciprical behaviour means your genes are more likely to survive.  I hate the ignorance of religion.  

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Nyghthowler

So.

That's your opinion, and its your right to have it. It's also your right to not play those games. More power to you.

But you started this whole stupid ass post about them to bring it to our attention how you feel.

Personally I don't play games just for the violence, but I also don't care if they are overly violent just as I don't care if they are overly sexualized as long as the game is fun to play.

1. I do mostly play non-violent games now

2. my only point in the post is that there isnt enough games that are non-violent not that there arent any at all.

3. I want to make this completely clear. You will likely not find anyone in your life less agnostic toward the morality of killing then me. You might but my point here is that in no way is this post a moral statement on violence. I just find it boring.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I haven't counted or seen any stats on what the percentage of "violent" to "non-violent" games are so trying to say it is 2-1, 3-1 or whatever will be meaningless.

I have played both violent and non-violent ones depending on my mood.  Sometimes it is fun to just build cities or plant crops but others times it is more fun to just destroy things.  I like the violent games more, not because I am a violent person but because I could be a farmer or a construction worker in real life but the thought of destroying starships or dragons is something that I am sure I will not be able to do in real life.

So for the most part I play violent games in order to kinda experience things that I will never get to experience in real life.

Originally posted by cerulean2012

I haven't counted or seen any stats on what the percentage of "violent" to "non-violent" games are so trying to say it is 2-1, 3-1 or whatever will be meaningless.

I have played both violent and non-violent ones depending on my mood.  Sometimes it is fun to just build cities or plant crops but others times it is more fun to just destroy things.  I like the violent games more, not because I am a violent person but because I could be a farmer or a construction worker in real life but the thought of destroying starships or dragons is something that I am sure I will not be able to do in real life.

So for the most part I play violent games in order to kinda experience things that I will never get to experience in real life.

well it sounds like I stand corrected. There are people who dream of killing.

fair enough. I never really have.

• GenerolGenerol Member Posts: 34

I have no interest in what market forces dictate.  My issue is the utter arrogance of anyone with religious beliefs who feel they have a monopoly on morality.  They need to drag their heads out of their arse and realise what they think is true is bullshit.  Nothing annoys me more than that level of misunderstanding of evolution.  If you wanna believe in God and some divine morality you are frankly a moron.  We are social creatures and reciprical behaviour means your genes are more likely to survive.  I hate the ignorance of religion.  

I am not religious in any manner but there is absolutely zero doubt that the creation, application and belief system has kept many innate issues at bay and allowed for the creation of even modern day codes and reasoning. You are absolutely correct that issues such as evolution vs creationism are ridiculous, however, if they want to believe it and aren't bothering anyone, who cares? That's their choice.

What I do care about is when people attempt to force their belief system upon others or attempt to punish those who do not believe as they do through the guise of religious need and that some religions (one in particular) have shown time and time again to be destructive on a grand scale. Point being, people should be able to believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't bother anyone else and that should be equal on all fronts instead of targeting specific religions because there is a smaller chance of reprisal. 

Again, I am not religious in any manner but without it (during early civilizations), society would look much differently and be much less civilized to a large extent like several areas of the world that believe religion > all. 

I saw this coming.

This thread is about too many cookies but not enough cream.

Its not about the morality of violence for those who havent yet resolved the issue with themselves.

Originally posted by Generol

I am not religious in any manner but there is absolutely zero doubt that the creation, application and belief system has kept many innate issues at bay and allowed for the creation of even modern day codes and reasoning. You are absolutely correct that issues such as evolution vs creationism are ridiculous, however, if they want to believe it and aren't bothering anyone, who cares? That's their choice.

What I do care about is when people attempt to force their belief system upon others or attempt to punish those who do not believe as they do through the guise of religious need and that some religions (one in particular) have shown time and time again to be destructive on a grand scale. Point being, people should be able to believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't bother anyone else and that should be equal on all fronts instead of targeting specific religions because there is a smaller chance of reprisal. 

Again, I am not religious in any manner but without it (during early civilizations), society would look much differently and be much less civilized to a large extent like several areas of the world that believe religion > all. 

This is part of my issue, why do we accept falsehoods and ignorance?  If someone believes any other superstition we slap them down, why not with organised religion?  If someone is a fucking idiot they need to be told so... 

Our schools are religious.  Since when did we try to indoctrinate our children?  Educations is supposed to be about facts, not bullshit.  

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    There have always been violent games, and they aren't multiplying or anything, it's just easier now to develop games so more of them are coming out. Even the arcades in 88 had Splatterhouse one of the most violent games. Go play Animal Crossing, or some simulator. They aren't violent at all.
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    There have always been violent games, and they aren't multiplying or anything, it's just easier now to develop games so more of them are coming out. Even the arcades in 88 had Splatterhouse one of the most violent games. Go play Animal Crossing, or some simulator. They aren't violent at all.

I do play non-violent video games now. You missed my point

too much cream not enough cookies.

I think he got your point.  

Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

I think he got your point.  

if he got my point then why is he asking me to play the few cookies compared to the cream?

again...THAT is what this thread is about. Not something else.

• BillSussmanBillSussman Member Posts: 42

Steam helps alot but I got to say indie or not if it says 'action' or 'shooter' I pass.

I am all for a good genocide but my god enough already!

Shut up dude. Go play my little pony if there are too many violent video games on the market. Or buy a Nintendo, anything Nintendo. But even then you have to deal with action and shooters. Pointless thread if you ask me. Crying about developers making what they wanted to make. 

Originally posted by BillSussman

Steam helps alot but I got to say indie or not if it says 'action' or 'shooter' I pass.

Shut up dude. Go play my little pony if there are too many violent video games on the market. Or buy a Nintendo, anything Nintendo. But even then you have to deal with action and shooters. Pointless thread if you ask me. Crying about developers making what they wanted to make. 

well now that was an odd post.

Whats odd is you crying about violent and action based games. 

no...you still miss the point.

too many cookies not enough cream,

the subject of this thread really isnt that hard to understand.

I don't get how what you're saying applies here. Not enough cream? Not every action based game is the same. Just because you hold a gun and are in FPS view doesn't mean all action based games are the same. I guess minecraft is the same as GTA. Both have action, both are violent to a degree. The subject of this thread is confusing. Look at your thread name for a start. Sounds to me you've been waiting for less violent games to hit the market. Don't know why you were thinking that. You think all violent and action based games are the same. Otherwise you would notice. there is clearly different story lines or game mechanics from game to game. 

I don't get how what you're saying applies here. Not every action based game is the same. Just because you hold a gun and are in FPS view doesn't mean all action based games are the same. I guess minecraft is the same as GTA. Both have action, both are violent to a degree. 

did I say that all action games are the same? no I didnt.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by TheQuietGamer Originally posted by SEANMCAD Steam helps alot but I got to say indie or not if it says 'action' or 'shooter' I pass. I am all for a good genocide but my god enough already!
    haha, fun post cause you left it so open to interpretation as to be meaningless.  
    its all John Carmacks fault. That damn Doom game

Wait, its not John Carmacks fault, its the people who bought Doom who are to blame.......right?
  • GenerolGenerol Member Posts: 34

This is part of my issue, why do we accept falsehoods and ignorance?  If someone believes any other superstition we slap them down, why not with organised religion?  If someone is a fucking idiot they need to be told so... Our schools are religious.  Since when did we try to indoctrinate our children?  Educations is supposed to be about facts, not bullshit.  

Several reasons:

1) Who is "we"? Are you saying that "we" is society and that we all accept falsehoods and ignorance? The minority of the world is actually atheist by a massive margin so I am a bit confused by your question on that. Atheism, in large part, is the desire to not believe in such things to begin with so there already is a group that falls into that category.

2) Religion and superstition cannot be combined into one in my view. The reason is that religion has given many people through the centuries a physical refuge when they were down on their times, etc. Superstition does nothing except is a story where as the belief system has translated in several useful facets of society (laws, moral codes to an extend, & the desire to work together as a community). The one big reason I have not and will not ever speak poorly of religions (except one) is that I have always noticed that religious communities are safer, families are stronger and the children tend to grow up with better values (in many more cases than not).

3) If someone is an idiot, you're damn right they should be told but with religion? I can't agree as faith is important to too many people and several faiths have done more good than bad for society (long term) in my view. In terms of schools, I am not sure where you are from but all religious schools are private (ie: parents elect to pay/send kids there) in the states (that I know of at least) so it isn't a factor. So explain what you mean by indoctrinate children as I am not following.

4) Education should be about facts, I agree fully. That being said, I also believe racial, sexual preference, and political agendas should have no place in the educational system.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by SEANMCAD Steam helps alot but I got to say indie or not if it says 'action' or 'shooter' I pass. I am all for a good genocide but my god enough already!
    haha, fun post cause you left it so open to interpretation as to be meaningless.  
    its all John Carmacks fault. That damn Doom game
    Wait, its not John Carmacks fault, its the people who bought Doom who are to blame.......right?

I was one of those people.

In think in gaming more so then most industries its not demand that runs supply. its supply that runs demand :)

I don't get how what you're saying applies here. Not every action based game is the same. Just because you hold a gun and are in FPS view doesn't mean all action based games are the same. I guess minecraft is the same as GTA. Both have action, both are violent to a degree. 

You didn't have to. You've been implying it this entire time. Why get bored of these action or violent games if they all didn't feel generic to you? You're bored of them cause you think they don't offer anything new from the last shooter or action based game you played. Not to mention the stupid quote you keep saying "too many cookies not enough cream" You're saying everything is the same. And there isn't many that stand out. Which would be the cream. Right? Thats what it sounds like to me.

You didn't have to. You've been implying it this entire time. Why get bored of these action or violent games if they all didn't feel generic to you? You're bored of them cause you think they don't offer anything new from the last shooter or action based game you played.

ok for the record I DO NOT THINK ALL VIOLENT GAMES ARE THE SAME.

and that is not the fucking point of my thread

Originally posted by Generol

This is part of my issue, why do we accept falsehoods and ignorance?  If someone believes any other superstition we slap them down, why not with organised religion?  If someone is a fucking idiot they need to be told so... Our schools are religious.  Since when did we try to indoctrinate our children?  Educations is supposed to be about facts, not bullshit.  

Several reasons:

1) Who is "we"? Are you saying that "we" is society and that we all accept falsehoods and ignorance? The minority of the world is actually atheist by a massive margin so I am a bit confused by your question on that. Atheism, in large part, is the desire to not believe in such things to begin with so there already is a group that falls into that category.

2) Religion and superstition cannot be combined into one in my view. The reason is that religion has given many people through the centuries a physical refuge when they were down on their times, etc. Superstition does nothing except is a story where as the belief system has translated in several useful facets of society (laws, moral codes to an extend, & the desire to work together as a community). The one big reason I have not and will not ever speak poorly of religions (except one) is that I have always noticed that religious communities are safer, families are stronger and the children tend to grow up with better values (in many more cases than not).

3) If someone is an idiot, you're damn right they should be told but with religion? I can't agree as faith is important to too many people and several faiths have done more good than bad for society (long term) in my view. In terms of schools, I am not sure where you are from but all religious schools are private (ie: parents elect to pay/send kids there) in the states (that I know of at least) so it isn't a factor. So explain what you mean by indoctrinate children as I am not following.

4) Education should be about facts, I agree fully. That being said, I also believe racial, sexual preference, and political agendas should have no place in the educational system.

Yes superstition and religion are one and the same.  

If the minority is factually correct, the minority is still factually correct, what is your point? 

I don't believe there is any other response to your points other than those above.  

This discussion has been closed.