Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity: Original Sin is Based on classic gaming. Currently Number 1 on Steam, has completely payed

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Yet a game that is essentially EQ Classic with better graphics is out of the question, wont sell well...

MMO Fan Logic wins again!

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I just did some research on this game and I like it. Very few games have gotten the tradition of RPG correct over the past 30+ years.

Turn based, player created campaigns.

Why does it take kickstarters to get games right I dont know.

I will say however I am not a fan of the art style choice. Looks like its designed for kids 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ArazaleArazale Member Posts: 348
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Yet a game that is essentially EQ Classic with better graphics is out of the question, wont sell well...

Claiming a game that is based on classic gaming is the same as a specific game being remade but with better graphics.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I just did some research on this game and I like it. Very few games have gotten the tradition of RPG correct over the past 30+ years.

Turn based, player created campaigns.

Why does it take kickstarters to get games right I dont know.

I will say however I am not a fan of the art style choice. Looks like its designed for those who like that style.

Fixed. :)

I'm thinking of trying it, but I'd like a Co-Op player to have fun with. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Originally posted by DMKano

OP - SoE is not going to spend 100mil to recreate something that has less than 100-200k players even interested in, the active playerbase after a month would most likely be around 50k players.

Expensive MMO projects need a huge playerbase.

Can't compare that to a small budge game.

to be honest....f8ck sony.

No longer are the days where millions of players are needed to fund a game we like.

extreemly small teams (like 10 or less developers) are creating games in mass that people want. Such small budget games do not need millions of players to cover the cost.

Its a great day for gaming, a bad day for large gaming companies

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

OP - SoE is not going to spend 100mil to recreate something that has less than 100-200k players even interested in, the active playerbase after a month would most likely be around 50k players.

No longer are the days where millions of players are needed to fund a game we like.

extreemly small teams (like 10 or less developers) are creating games in mass that people want. Such small budget games do not need millions of players to cover the cost.

+1, Bravo, CHEERS!

Seriously this is the point, big companys are starting to be overshadowed by the little guys. If Divinty Devs can make a game based off a Turn-Based RPG genre that was popular in 90-fucking-5, there is no reason we can see Classic MMO gaming make the rise once more. 

Leave out the fact Im in love with the idea of a modern EQ and just think of making a game Liken to that, and you have a perfect niche game with a proven fanbase. 

And please, dont cite Pantheon as an excuse to why this wouldnt work out. Panth is headed by Brad Mcquaid, who since Vanguard has had a bullseye on his back and a cloud over his head to the gaming world. Some sad individuals will never let that man rest *cough ReROLLED cough*.

If there was a game being made like classic EQ right now it would sell, it would turn a profit, and the fact that SOE doesnt realize that further shows their lack of knowledge about their fanbase, old and new.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I got Divinity Original Sin off steam and I just can't stop playing. I know lately there's a lot of Baldur's Gate style games trying to shoot for us old nostalgic fools, but this game does it very well. Don't lose the chance to get it if you can, it's a delight for any oldschool RPG'er.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Vanguard was EQ1 with better graphics - it was a great game (I played it almost 2 years) - but it didn't have many players interested in it.

The point is ANY EQ1 type mmorpg with *better* graphics than EQ1 is going to cost over 40million today - and it's going to take a small dev team 5+ years to get it completed.

Do I believe that there is a market for EQ1 classic game - YES - 100%

Do I believe that it can be made for a profit - nope - and that's the problem.

Again comparing Divinity with an actual MMORPG like EQ1 - night and day, one can be made by a small dev team on a tight budget, the other cannot (especially with decent graphics)

The problem is even more complex than that.

Assuming a cost of 50 million to produce (EQ1 with better graphics), which is actually a somewhat reasonable estimate; there are numerous other factors at play:

IF the game was to make, say, 60 million $, it would technically be profitable. However it would not even remotely be worth the trouble. Why? Because it wouldn't really pave the way to more projects, and it would tie up many artists & programmers that you would need to work on newer projects.

Furthermore, whenever you add better graphics to something that's as outdated as EQ1, you essentially have to re-design a lot of the artwork. Not only is this expensive, but it will never look 100% like what you imagine EQ1 looked like. And this reason alone is enough to turn some people away from the game.

Any way you look at it, while it's hypothetically doable to remake EQ1 w/ better graphics, it's not realistic. And it certainly doesn't make business sense.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198

Ok i will say this, I see people talking about EQ with better graphics, but in 2014 there is just not enough people to make that kind of game profitable. There will never be another EQ or SWG type of game that makes money(good money), people in this age DO NOT WANT TO PLAY A GAME LIKE THAT.

*edit* If you do not think i am right, just look at the games that were made to try and emulate those games. The only possible one could maybe be The Repop.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    I got Divinity Original Sin off steam and I just can't stop playing. I know lately there's a lot of Baldur's Gate style games trying to shoot for us old nostalgic fools, but this game does it very well. Don't lose the chance to get it if you can, it's a delight for any oldschool RPG'er.

Indeed, it's a great RPG. I'm definitely taking a break from mmo for the time being. Pillars of Eternity (Baldurs Gate II - like) is also coming up this winter. Such a great year for RPG fans.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Single player games/ multi-player games with C-rate graphics - yes a small team on a low budget can do that.

AAA MMORPG (like EQ1) cannot be done for cheap by a small team in 2014 - the dev cost for MMORPGs has gone up by 10x over the last 15 years.

Your assumption is just wrong.

^ This. Lots of this. I can ensure you OP an insanely small amount of people would pay monthly for a game like divinity, the whole comparison to EQ which was an MMO is just worthless. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Single player games/ multi-player games with C-rate graphics - yes a small team on a low budget can do that.

AAA MMORPG (like EQ1) cannot be done for cheap by a small team in 2014 - the dev cost for MMORPGs has gone up by 10x over the last 15 years.

^ This. Lots of this. I can ensure you OP an insanely small amount of people would pay monthly for a game like divinity, the whole comparison to EQ which was an MMO is just worthless. 

I'm saying the vehement hatred of classic MMO gaming is not well founded. We haven't had a chance to bring this type of game back onto the market.

Again people just keep citing Brad Mcquaid and his failures as proof that it can't and won't happen. That's one guy. You watch as soon as a well crafted classic MMO is announced, with a solid concept and team it's going to sell. 

Bad games are a dime a dozen, a game with a good concept and team in this day and age is much harder to fail, word of mouth spreads far on the internet. Anyways I see tr other sides arguments, but I fail to believe there's a thing as a bad genre or sub genre and that that alone decided whether a game succeeds or fails.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

+1, Bravo, CHEERS!

Seriously this is the point, big companys are starting to be overshadowed by the little guys. If Divinty Devs can make a game based off a Turn-Based RPG genre that was popular in 90-fucking-5, there is no reason we can see Classic MMO gaming make the rise once more. 

Leave out the fact Im in love with the idea of a modern EQ and just think of making a game Liken to that, and you have a perfect niche game with a proven fanbase. 

And please, dont cite Pantheon as an excuse to why this wouldnt work out. Panth is headed by Brad Mcquaid, who since Vanguard has had a bullseye on his back and a cloud over his head to the gaming world. Some sad individuals will never let that man rest *cough ReROLLED cough*.

If there was a game being made like classic EQ right now it would sell, it would turn a profit, and the fact that SOE doesnt realize that further shows their lack of knowledge about their fanbase, old and new.

How many cases of this are actually happening? Divinity isn't exactly made by the little guys BTW... That team has many titles under their belt, they're more like Obsidian, neither have their own publishing arm, hence going to kickstarter.

Either way what do you mean by outshine? They're not reaching Skyrim levels of acclaim, at least not yet. Divinity:OS sounds great so don't read me wrong (I enjoyed their past games in the series as well),

I just don't see what you both mean by Indies out shining the triple-A studios.There are certainly areas where indies shine, Minecraft or Dayz in MOD form. Those cases are few and far between in regard to what games catch the greater spotlight though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    So it's just another isometric turn-based RPG? Why even bring up classic MMO's like EQ, these are different genres.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    do you get to create an entire party? cause i sure could use a Wizardry, Bards Tale, Might and Magic fix right about now
    Originally posted by Distopia

+1, Bravo, CHEERS!

How many cases of this are actually happening? Divinity isn't exactly made by the little guys BTW... That team has many titles under their belt, they're more like Obsidian, neither have their own publishing arm, hence going to kickstarter.

Either way what do you mean by outshine? They're not reaching Skyrim levels of acclaim, at least not yet. Divinity:OS sounds great so don't read me wrong (I enjoyed their past games in the series as well),

I just don't see what you both mean by Indies out shining the triple-A studios.There are certainly areas where indies shine, Minecraft or Dayz in MOD form. Those cases are few and far between in regard to what games catch the greater spotlight though.

you just named 2 indie games and 1 AAA game.

Think about that for a second.

• GamezGlitchZGamezGlitchZ Member CommonPosts: 94

Divinity: Original Sin - Entering The Burial Mound First MiniBOSS - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9bLLk3BWk&list=PLeusrXH_hwph41o65WJLTG_jfDCTtJWpv&index=2

Divinity: Original Sin - Entering The Burial Mound First MiniBOSS - Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-5XkC641o&list=PLeusrXH_hwph41o65WJLTG_jfDCTtJWpv&index=2

Divinity: Original Sin - Entering The Burial Mound First MiniBOSS - FINAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT-7H1lzyvE&index=3&list=PLeusrXH_hwph41o65WJLTG_jfDCTtJWpv

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Divinity Original Sin - Arhu SparkMaster 5000 (First Big BOSS) - Guide/Walkthrough/Fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWh3JqZ0LPw&index=9&list=PLeusrXH_hwph41o65WJLTG_jfDCTtJWpv

Youtube Channel!
    Please Click Here to Support My CHANNEL! Thank You ALL!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GamezGlitchZ?sub_confirmation=1

• Divinity: Original Sin so far seems like a denser, turn-based Baldur's Gate, with a few improvements taken from older games such as Ultima VII as well as more modern games. I haven't played it too much as the framerates are giving me grief. I think they're dropping below 30 now and then. Will definitely be picking it up again once my new graphics card arrives, though.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

+1, Bravo, CHEERS!

My post wasn't meant to make a list of games, do you really need such a list?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

+1, Bravo, CHEERS!

My post wasn't meant to make a list of games, do you really need such a list?

What I was trying to illustrate is that you could only think of one AAA game that reached high levels of acclaim.

Now before we begin this rabbit hole....

what does 'outshine' mean to you?

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

What I was trying to illustrate is that you could only think of one AAA game that reached high levels of acclaim.

No, the person you quoted only listed one AAA game that reached high levels of acclaim, that in no way, shape, or form implies that they could only think of one.

To imply that it does is frankly absurd.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

I'm saying the vehement hatred of classic MMO gaming is not well founded. We haven't had a chance to bring this type of game back onto the market.

Again people just keep citing Brad Mcquaid and his failures as proof that it can't and won't happen. That's one guy. You watch as soon as a well crafted classic MMO is announced, with a solid concept and team it's going to sell. 

Bad games are a dime a dozen, a game with a good concept and team in this day and age is much harder to fail, word of mouth spreads far on the internet. Anyways I see tr other sides arguments, but I fail to believe there's a thing as a bad genre or sub genre and that that alone decided whether a game succeeds or fails.

I dont have time this morning to look for the links but a few articles I have read suggested that indie games right now are doing better than AAA games and the AAA firms are starting to study what works in indie games.

We are entering an era in gaming as well as other products where a consensus of the majority is no longer needed for success. As the creator of Eve said

'we are entering an era of mass customization instead of mass production'

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Why would they have to? It would cost probably 1/8 of that budget to make a modern version of a classic MMO. And EQ at its peak had 500k players, and there's been a lot of people since then who have wanted to try it. The market has never been as starved for something different as it is right now.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Loving this game at the moment. Really good game, well made, interesting combat, dialogue, story, crafting, spells...just a solid RPG.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Im glad Divinity: Original Sin is doing well. I hope that means we will get a Divinity 3 (sequel to Ego Draconis/DK Saga) in the future.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I purchased the game and have only played it for 15 mins or so.  Not a fan of Turn Based combat but other then that it is well made.  I plan on playing it more when I finish my 3rd season of grinding Legend in Hearthstone.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!