Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much has the game improved?

Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Its no secret ZM screwed the pooch with this games release. So much so that even though I preordered, I decided to hold on to my product key (and my free month) until things improved. Since then Ive hopped on Wildstar, which despite being an excellent game, suffers from annoying UI bugs, a horribly mismanaged bot infestation... plus some things here and there which Id rather just take a break from while they work them out.

So now im finding myself wondering if its time to give ESO a decent chance yet or look elsewhere, or maybe even just cut my losses and try to sell the key for $10 or something.

Mostly interested in knowing what the bot situation is? If the grouping mechanics have been improved at all? What the bug situation is now (ie. playable to the end or is there still significant risk of getting stuck in a quest chain with no way out)? Have the buffed gold acquisition yet or is Collectors Edition still the only way to get a mount in any decent amount of time. Basically, if youve seen the Angry Joe Review, how much of it still holds true?

Comments

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62

Sadly, their latest patch has introduced a whole new range of issues.  Mainly, many subscribers are having huge fps issues to the point of making pvp unplayable for much of the player base.  Our guild had to cancel pvp night because so many guildies couldn't do pvp without repeatedly logging out to reset their framerates.  We are talking an fps drop down to 1-4.  Players become "invisible" and you die without knowing why.  The same issue is in PvE zones when you are in bigger groups. 

I have loved the game from the start, but it is way to unstable at this moment to recommend to anyone.  If you haven't bought it, don't.  I am hoping that they will fix the issue, but currently it is less stable and has more performance problems than most betas I have been in.  Wish I could tell you different.

• velexievelexie Member Posts: 28
    This game crashes now 12.4% less on average. It's worth a try, please subscribe!
    That comment is stupid on so many levels. 12.4% less than what? If it is an attempt at sarcasm, it falls flat.

On a more constructive note, personally I love the game and whatit has to offer. My big problem is thier poor execution. The framerate issue is huge. I have listened to multiple players from our guild unsubscribe over it. The game curently is less stableplayable than at any other time. The beta build was never this bad. So even though I love it and will hold out few more weeks to see if they can solve it, I couldn't recomend it.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Improved?  I dont notice much from CB to now, but I didnt think it needed it.  The classes have been rebalanced a few times but other than that not sure.  I did not purchase when it came out though, I purchased 2 months later out of caution of the fact that most MMO's lose traction quick. 

I wouldnt listen to the naysayers though, the game is real good...endgame (although I havent made it there yet), I hear is lacking, but it's not far out from launch so it makes sense.   Love the game, the combat and the dungeons...story is GREAT and you have 3 different factions.  No rails either although some might disagree....it reminds me of what Morrowind was, but condensed to acimilate to the different requirements of an MMO

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

A lot. Besides DKs still being stupidly OP, and the graphics bug they introduced with the last patch, ESO works. There are still a few skill line ability bugs, but far far fewer than at launch. There was a time I wasn't sure they would be able to fix them all.

8 or so patches in 3 months works wonders for a new mmorpg.

edit- well 7 out of 8 worked wonders....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • veritas723veritas723 Member CommonPosts: 38

meh...  the release of ESO was no different than any other MMO.     which is exactly why the problems you're complaining about are also in Wildstar.   It's new MMO problems.

has ESO gotten better?   the things you list as roadblocks are pretty paltry.  

bots.  are functionally gone.    not gonna say 100%  but the problem is corrected.

bugs.  well... depends on what you mean.   Most of the quest bugs have been resolved.  again, not a 100%  ...you start in AD and every 10 seconds some moron asks about the same quest that is known to be glitched.   but every update a couple more get fixed.   I'd put this somewhere as ...vastly improved.  

classes still have some issues.   whether it's passives or incorrect tooltips.   or you just think stamina builds are still gimped there are some issues.  this... also is sorta just new game nonsense.   almost every game has this.  takes awhile for the nuiance of triggered event passives and interactive synergies to get worked out.  Is it kinda annoying... sure.  but it's not stopping anyone from playing.   If they're saying otherwise they're lying.   

there is currently some issue with FPS.   most likely tied to the new lighting system.  large scale PvP.  and some PvE is experiencing issues.   I tend to feel it's not as wide spread as people are making it out to be.  i personally have not experienced this issue.   but... you got to the boards,  you'd think the sky was falling.    So... who knows.     these things are temporary.  It'll probably get hotfixed in the next couple of days or week or so.  and it'll be another "huge" issue that makes the game "unplayable"  although.... the game has has solid uptime,  and never been unplayable in the technical sense.

there is no "cheap" alternative to the paywall imperial edition Welfare mount.   gold is not hard to get.   you can easily have the 42k  for the advanced mount by mid 20's   with aoe grinding... can be at 20s-30s  in a matter of a day.   This to me is a L2P sort of issue.   Or just buy the imperial edition.   Especially if you are going to play. the 1g  mount more than makes up for the $20

so... i dunno.   if you're the type of person to be turned off by early game issues.   You probably already made a bad decision as you bought a game right at release.   

None of the issues of ESO are anything other than that.  The devs run out patches on a regular basis.   it's 3 months into the game.  There's been a new zone added.  They've pushed at least one content patch.  And have released several minor bug fix patches.  All fairly standard.   Most bugs that were probably easy to fix have been fixed.  They've been on top of player expoit situations.  Vamp being insanely OP.   dungeon farming exploits.   ...gate camping etc etc.    There's nothing to suggest that it's just somehow a shitty game they're letting go to rot.   but... it's a brand new game.  built on some new tech,   so it's going to be bumpy.      

I know some people instantly get all up in arms over "why are you defending them... when i pay good money.  i expect a perfect game... blah blah blah  WoW  doesn't have these issues... they had plenty of time to be as good as WoW"   or whatever idiotic un-realistic scree.        

End game leaves much to be desired.  if there's one central fault it would be that.  The game shouldn't have launched with the Veteran system as it is.  It's intrensically a horrible system.  But word has started to circulate it's the next thing to get some love.   So even that is on the plate to get fixed.  

play or don't play... honestly.   you've already spent the money.  the single player 1-50  quest alone is worth the cost of a video game.   stop being such a pussy

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by bcbully
    A lot. Besides DKs still being stupidly OP, and the graphics bug they introduced with the last patch, ESO works. There are still a few skill line ability bugs, but far far fewer than at launch. There was a time I wasn't sure they would be able to fix them all. 8 or so patches in 3 months works wonders for a new mmorpg. edit- well 7 out of 8 worked wonders....

DK op? Please...... nerfed

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by veritas723

there is currently some issue with FPS.   most likely tied to the new lighting system.  large scale PvP.  and some PvE is experiencing issues.   I tend to feel it's not as wide spread as people are making it out to be.  i personally have not experienced this issue.   but... you got to the boards,  you'd think the sky was falling.    So... who knows.     these things are temporary.  It'll probably get hotfixed in the next couple of days or week or so.  and it'll be another "huge" issue that makes the game "unplayable"  although.... the game has has solid uptime,  and never been unplayable in the technical sense.

This is like saying:  "Hey, you should buy this car.  Only thing is you have a 30-40% chance of not being able to reverse or use windshield wipers.  Oh and nobody knows how long this will be broken."

Your feelings not withstanding, important portions of the game - PvP/large scale pve groups, even some smaller scale pve are UNPLAYABLE in that you cant see anything that is attacking you and can't attack it back.  This isn't the sky is falling.  This is reality where people are paying for what should be a top tier MMO experience.   Instead you get "beta-like" functionality where large portions of the population are prevented from participating in one of the key features in the game.

If you are in the game already, I would encourage you to stick it out like I am for the time being to see if they can fix the issue.  If you are NOT in the game yet, wait until the issue is fixed.  Otherwise you could find yourself extremely frustrated by the current state of the game.

FPS issues not withstanding, this PC gamer review has a fairly unbiased outlook you might want to check out before deciding.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/07/03/the-state-of-elder-scrolls-online-3-months-after-launch/

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Still a work in progress.  I would wait.  New patch coming out but to date their patches introduce new and old problems.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by thubub

This is like saying:  "Hey, you should buy this car.  Only thing is you have a 30-40% chance of not being able to reverse or use windshield wipers.  Oh and nobody knows how long this will be broken."

Your feelings not withstanding, important portions of the game - PvP/large scale pve groups, even some smaller scale pve are UNPLAYABLE in that you cant see anything that is attacking you and can't attack it back.  This isn't the sky is falling.  This is reality where people are paying for what should be a top tier MMO experience.   Instead you get "beta-like" functionality where large portions of the population are prevented from participating in one of the key features in the game.

If you are in the game already, I would encourage you to stick it out like I am for the time being to see if they can fix the issue.  If you are NOT in the game yet, wait until the issue is fixed.  Otherwise you could find yourself extremely frustrated by the current state of the game.

FPS issues not withstanding, this PC gamer review has a fairly unbiased outlook you might want to check out before deciding.

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/07/03/the-state-of-elder-scrolls-online-3-months-after-launch/

And PC Gamer was not totally sold even after 3 months.

Personally, yes it is nice they are fixing some bugs but the lack of any apparent attempt at fixing the FPS issue after 3 months (not counting beta time) is disheartening.

Also, this is supposed to be an MMO.  It is sad that they are making content easy to do (solo).  Game is bad enough with the restrictions on grouping (instances) and now to make another section of the game more solo friendly.  Why release it as an MMO? Maybe they should have kept it single player or co-op.....

Anyway, if they keep fixing bugs, adding content that the players want not what they (developers) think we want, making the game more group friendly not less, and fixing the horrible FPS issue then maybe this game will be worth looking at again, but at this time I am done with it.  most likely will not return until it goes ftp and then only if they fix those FPS issues and other things.

Originally posted by cerulean2012

Personally, yes it is nice they are fixing some bugs but the lack of any apparent attempt at fixing the FPS issue after 3 months (not counting beta time) is disheartening.

Also, this is supposed to be an MMO.  It is sad that they are making content easy to do (solo).  Game is bad enough with the restrictions on grouping (instances) and now to make another section of the game more solo friendly.  Why release it as an MMO? Maybe they should have kept it single player or co-op.....

Anyway, if they keep fixing bugs, adding content that the players want not what they (developers) think we want, making the game more group friendly not less, and fixing the horrible FPS issue then maybe this game will be worth looking at again, but at this time I am done with it.  most likely will not return until it goes ftp and then only if they fix those FPS issues and other things.

No offense but you have no idea what you're talking about.

The fps bug was introduced about 12 days ago with patch 1.2 Content and Lighting patch. The issue is since the patch during large scale battles, 80+ in the same area, fps may dip very low. Leave the battle, and the low frame rate remains. Relog and it's back to normal. It's believed to be do to lingering particle effects that somehow play into the new lighting.

Very frustrating, frustrating because prior to patch 1.2 with 200 people in the same area ESO ran on ultra at 40 fps+, a freaking technical marvel. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Zenimax did not have a bad launch, the journalists had a bad launch. Today you must have polish, that comes before graphics, gameplay and anything else. Zenimax was subpar on polish and so the launch was subpar. Back in the day we would have laughed at the bugs TESO had at launch being an issue. Now it is the be all and end all, as MMO's are reviewed on the same criteria as solo games, where polish is all.

My advice if you are not sure wait, any MMO is better down the line and if you are the cautious type that will suit you best.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

I left a couple of weeks after launch.  The game was fun in its own way (although I think that a great opportunity to create something more in the vein of Skyrim was missed, and it seems to actively penalise grouping which is an odd design choice for an mmo).  I left after two weeks because of the bugs and the bots, and the fact that each new patch seemed to introduce more issues.  

I signed up again yesterday.  The subscription was £1 and I assumed that most of the issues had been fixed.  Within 15 minutes I had been killed twice by invisible mobs.  I haven't been back on since.  

• Rinswind89Rinswind89 Member UncommonPosts: 19

What I would like to know is what is the current situation on the cheaters? During launch when I played, the game was riddled with various duping bugs and quest exploits. Tons of people had several max level characters with maxed out gold in a single day. They also used these exploits to obtain max level crafting professions and have that Legendary (forget the exact name) gear on all their characters in the same day.

Have they ever banned or rerolled these people or did they simply get away with it? Because it would be a bit difficult for me to play long hours and work hard to earn gold, knowing I would be giving it to these cheaters when I want to buy the good crafted gear. It honestly kind of ruined the game for me as they were also overcharging for said crafted gear.

Not only that but I wanted to obtain the Vampirism and Werewolf trees for my characters but it was made impossible by complete jerkoffs who camped the spawn points and demanded money for bites. Entire guilds were monopolizing the whole system. Has this been corrected yet?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Originally posted by Rinswind89

What I would like to know is what is the current situation on the cheaters? During launch when I played, the game was riddled with various duping bugs and quest exploits. Tons of people had several max level characters with maxed out gold in a single day. They also used these exploits to obtain max level crafting professions and have that Legendary (forget the exact name) gear on all their characters in the same day.

Have they ever banned or rerolled these people or did they simply get away with it? Because it would be a bit difficult for me to play long hours and work hard to earn gold, knowing I would be giving it to these cheaters when I want to buy the good crafted gear. It honestly kind of ruined the game for me as they were also overcharging for said crafted gear.

Not only that but I wanted to obtain the Vampirism and Werewolf trees for my characters but it was made impossible by complete jerkoffs who camped the spawn points and demanded money for bites. Entire guilds were monopolizing the whole system. Has this been corrected yet?

First let me welcome you to the board, as this is your first and only post in 6 years. :)

I think the cheaters moved on to WS, that's what they do once they game skip. The bots were knocked on the head, but there may be the odd one left, not seen one in two months. No gold spam now, I recon that's moved on to WS or somewhere else, but also they did clamp down on it. Bans - what MMO did you ever know that has made a list of players they banned and posted it, so how could you tell what was going on there in any MMO? Also the 'economic cheats/bugs' had little effect in game as there is no AH, if you have a AH that could have turned it into a a real issue. When you say has the Vamp/Were thing been corrected, would you expect Zenimax to sort it out? These days you can get them free from guild mates, that's the path I would suggest.

• Rinswind89Rinswind89 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Scot

First let me welcome you to the board, as this is your first and only post in 6 years. :)

I think the cheaters moved on to WS, that's what they do once they game skip. The bots were knocked on the head, but there may be the odd one left, not seen one in two months. No gold spam now, I recon that's moved on to WS or somewhere else, but also they did clamp down on it. Bans - what MMO did you ever know that has made a list of players they banned and posted it, so how could you tell what was going on there in any MMO? Also the 'economic cheats/bugs' had little effect in game as there is no AH, if you have a AH that could have turned it into a a real issue. When you say has the Vamp/Were thing been corrected, would you expect Zenimax to sort it out? These days you can get them free from guild mates, that's the path I would suggest.

Hey there and thanks for the welcome. And yea sorry I wasn't really that clear about the cheaters and stuff. I was in several guilds at the time but they were all charging amounts of gold for bites that I could not afford, and I could not obtain them in-game as they were camped pretty much all day from guild mates taking turns. None of the guild mates would give any for free since they had to wait 7 days to bite someone again or something. 

About the cheaters, it's because there were a bunch of them in those guilds I was in that admitted to it, and laughed at the fact they were not banned.  I even have a friend (different game region tho) who partook in the same quest exploit to get level 50 in a day and was not banned.

The auction house inside those guilds were also very expensive for the gear they were crafting (the same people who admitted to cheating). Btw these were guilds specifically made for people to share the auction house, about 3 of them I joined, all with the same outrageous prices for anyone who didn't cheat/dupe gold.

However it' nice to hear that the gold spam and bots have dissipated. I'm considering a resub and it would be nice to be able to purchase reasonably priced guild auction house gear while leveling, and to also finish the build I want for my characters (vamp/were bites). It just kind of seemed like the cheaters ruled the economy after all those duping bugs. Stuff I needed to level crafting and all that, they had set the prices so high due to demand and being able to generate as much of it as they wanted. People not abusing the bugs were kind of left in the dust.

• mmoluvammoluva Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by cerulean2012

The fps bug was introduced about 12 days ago with patch 1.2 Content and Lighting patch. The issue is since the patch during large scale battles, 80+ in the same area, fps may dip very low. Leave the battle, and the low frame rate remains. Relog and it's back to normal. It's believed to be do to lingering particle effects that somehow play into the new lighting.

Very frustrating, frustrating because prior to patch 1.2 with 200 people in the same area ESO ran on ultra at 40 fps+, a freaking technical marvel. 

bcbully,

Thank you for your honesty with regard to Elder Scrolls Online.  Your experience is true and exactly the same as 30+ others in my guild.  We are all amazed at how the game handles 200+ players onscreen.  The game is a freaking technical marvel. 

• ValkanisarValkanisar Member UncommonPosts: 494

i played in beta and had no problems..then decided to wait a few months before buying the game...just got it this week and i am loving it..have not run into any problems so far...though that is not saying much as i am only lvll 7 lol..will see..

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Most but not all of the quest bugs are gone. I still have to log in and out sometimes. I haven't received a gold spam mail message in a while. I haven't seen any bots in a while either. Finally I haven't noticed any spam in general chat...so its VERY obvious they corrected to the best of their ability those annoying things.

I never have any FPS issues, though I haven't PVPd. In PVE, my framerate is always over 30 and most of the time 40-80 regardless of where I am. I have dual 580Ms on an almost 3 year old gaming laptop. Unfortunately Ill never by another gaming laptop again as sometimes my laptop overheats, but that's for another thread lol.

The guild I am in has about 470 members, we boot those who haven't been online for 30 days, and we normally have between 30-80 online at all times which hasn't changed much since launch. In fact the 2nd guild I'm in which is a Vampire Guild continues to grow.

I haven't had any grouping issues lately. I'm about to hit Vet 1, but will wait for the Veteran Patch before continuing much beyond that.

Waiting 30 days wouldn't hurt, but it isn't necessary.

There Is Always Hope!

• JoeyjojoshabaduJoeyjojoshabadu Member UncommonPosts: 162

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/117221/cheating-epidemic

Cheaters still there, just in a different guise.

Originally posted by Joeyjojoshabadu

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/117221/cheating-epidemic

Cheaters still there, just in a different guise.

More than likely a L2p issue... You see the way people yell about the graphics bug? The Cyrodiil forums would be going nuts right now.  

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Thanks for all the replies. Good to know the game has become more playable now. I went ahead and put in my key finally. Not sure if will keep the sub but so far so good.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    Thanks for all the replies. Good to know the game has become more playable now. I went ahead and put in my key finally. Not sure if will keep the sub but so far so good.

Funny how experiances can be different. To me the game was playable from release, heck even in beta it was well playable thogh did run into more issue's then past release where I ran into some very minor issue's. I call them minor due to my game experiance and in the old we had a hell lot of bigger issue's then those we see today.

As like others have answerd I myself have not gotten any ingame gold scam mails for nearly 2 months, havn't seen bots for atleast 7 weeks+. Have no lag, though weekend do give me the occasional hickups when entering well populated area's with players which is to be expected because weekend is main prime time.

Sometimes I still see a resource vanish before my eye's but I used to think it's cheaters under the ground, more logical seem to be out-phased as in someone else in a different phase might be getting it yet we both see the same resource.

Never CD't except 1 time in beta.

3 day's ago a renewd my sub, went in with the 3 day headstart and got my 4 characters all up to level 24. 

Anyway hope you enjoy your stay in ESO, have fun which is all that matters!!

The resource disappearing is definitely a phasing issue. Even mobs will disappear for you. A good example is the skeleton starter quest on bleak rock isle. When you finish it, all the skeletons are dead. But if you leave it, then approach from a distance, it looks like the skellies are back in place standing guard. When you get closer, they phase out and you see the dea skellies everywhere. There are a couple of chests and resource nodes that do the same thing. It is not underground bots.
  • kresa3333kresa3333 Member UncommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by Kayo45
    Its no secret ZM screwed the pooch with this games release. So much so that even though I preordered, I decided to hold on to my product key (and my free month) until things improved. Since then Ive hopped on Wildstar, which despite being an excellent game, suffers from annoying UI bugs, a horribly mismanaged bot infestation... plus some things here and there which Id rather just take a break from while they work them out.

So now im finding myself wondering if its time to give ESO a decent chance yet or look elsewhere, or maybe even just cut my losses and try to sell the key for $10 or something.

Mostly interested in knowing what the bot situation is? If the grouping mechanics have been improved at all? What the bug situation is now (ie. playable to the end or is there still significant risk of getting stuck in a quest chain with no way out)? Have the buffed gold acquisition yet or is Collectors Edition still the only way to get a mount in any decent amount of time. Basically, if youve seen the Angry Joe Review, how much of it still holds true?

Honestly forget about this game for half a year and when you hear about it going f2p in a few monthes then use your key so u will have the past p2p benefits.