Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class advice

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Planning to return to WoW after a very very long time gone....

looking for a class that can 

a) be a backline healer with lots of utillity to fill the easy moments in groups

b) be a hybrid DPS/healer  with extreme survivabillity in PvP..

I know the classes, just not how much they changed over the last few years.  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

[mod edit]

Doesn't matter what class you choose, you can level a toon instantly and change specs on the fly.  In other words, the decision can wait until you are level 90.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I would think you are looking either at Shaman or Paladin.

Shaman has a ton more utility though.  Has a button to press for almost every situation, the only problem is that WoD ability pruning is hitting their toolbox kind of hard.  Also has some great groupwide / raidwide healing cooldowns even in DPS specs.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by nickster29

Shaman has a ton more utility though.  Has a button to press for almost every situation, the only problem is that WoD ability pruning is hitting their toolbox kind of hard.  Also has some great groupwide / raidwide healing cooldowns even in DPS specs.

I would say that too, shaman or paladin. Shamans have tons of utility, Paladins are very durable.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Foobarx

[mod edit]

Doesn't matter what class you choose, you can level a toon instantly and change specs on the fly.  In other words, the decision can wait until you are level 90.

No, in general i am the kind of MMO player that plays a game to Max level....  And i had lots of fun doing that in both these games.  

ESO had no real endgame... and was anything but an alting game, as my main saw allready almost all content and the major stories..

And Wildstar currently lacks a lot of content for alting..  just 4 dungeons in 50 levels, will not keep me going for ever..  And there was not enough endgame to keep me going..

But in time i certainly will return to both games, if they have grown to full maturity, because they are still great games..

Currently i am finishing up D3 and expansion, and then i will move back to WoW... preparing for the expansion.... Just looking forward to WoW and all its dungeons... and the PvP battlegrounds

but we should be discussing WoW here and classdiversity and years of content to catch up....  So far from logn ago, i remember healers dieing in 3 hits in PvP...........  thats something i would dislike...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    They are all good, but going off of what your asking disc priest would be a good fit. It's heavy on healing and less on dps, but playing hybrid isn't really a viable option in wow.
    Originally posted by Crusades
    They are all good, but going off of what your asking disc priest would be a good fit. It's heavy on healing and less on dps, but playing hybrid isn't really a viable option in wow.

Priest... arent they squishy anymore?   Or are they very geardependent... 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Crusades

Priest... arent they squishy anymore?   Or are they very geardependent... 

Yeah, they're always squishy, lol. However, they do satisfy the healing+DPS requirements. I have a Disc and Shadow spec on my priest that does pretty well solo or in a group. I can usually kite around 5 or 6 mobs at a time with him. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i'd probably go for shaman,priest or druid right now since they can atleast use the same gear for both roles while soloing and minor pve/pvp.. but since you stats will change with your spec in WoD i'd just go for wichever looks the most fun to me(paladin)

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Druid has always been the best class to play. You have 4 styles of play, and you can solo pretty much everything in the game with it. Downside is, you'll look ugly if you're not alliance.
    Originally posted by Albatroes
    Druid has always been the best class to play. You have 4 styles of play, and you can solo pretty much everything in the game with it. Downside is, you'll look ugly if you're not alliance.

The only place where switching forms really adds much is in PvP...   

As a healer however, you stick to treeeform, and you loose out on most of your utillity in group raid situations

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Treeform is now a buff and not a true form with benifits. So you are only tree for like less an a minute at a time.
  • TankYou88TankYou88 Member Posts: 310

Druid is pretty good for what you are looking for. A Druid can sit there healing himself while killing someone while people pound on you. You just have to learn how to switch in and out forms at the right time, regular form throw some dots, switch to bear and bite peoples faces off, when the dots are about to come off switch back and throw them back on, etc. 

Shaman and Druid is really the only class that can do some damage while in healer spec or that can do decent heals while in DPS spec. Paly and Priest lack in trying to do this.

Only class I am not to sure about is Monk which I know can be devastating. Their heals really lack when not in a healing spec though and unsure how well they can dps while in a healing spec.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    My rating for most annoying to kill in pvp is: Druid > Pally > Disc Priest > Shaman > w/e else. As far as being able to deal dmg and have good sustain, I'd say its kinda tie between Druid and Disc Priest, since priest can heal itself while dealing dmg. But druid has more all around utility outside of pvp, since you can find any play style you like with it.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Didn't read the other posts, but the best class in the game is Druid.  We can do it all.  You can heal very easily with Mushroom + effloresence glyph and rejuvination.  Then for PvP you can go feral.

The only other class that can heal/dps in the same spec for pvp is Retribution Paladin, but they got nerfed recently, and Holy Paladin is akward to me.

• OgymanOgyman Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by nickster29

My vote goes for a Paladin. It will suite the OP needs perfectly!

Though, I could be wrong as I'm driven by the emotions as I'm writting this post, lol. I'm being really subjective in this matter mainly because I'm playing a paladin for over 7 years now!

I need a girl whose name doesn't end in .JPG

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

a) be a backline healer with lots of utillity to fill the easy moments in groups

Class build options are the key (you might want to change in raid groups). 

For most classes this comes down to dps / dps / dps; tank / tank / tank or heal / heal / heal options.

Classes that offer fundamental different roles I would say are Druids and Monks.

The Monk choices are more clear cut so I suspect you might want to look at Druids; a slightly less "focused" class. Both classes are viable tanks in raids.

Other classes that can fill the tank slot - paladins, warriors, dks - don't offer the backline healing I suspect you are looking for imo. Other classes e.g. shamen that offer a mix of healing and dps can't fill the tank (extreme survivability) slot.

My suggestion anyway based on my return to WoW in late 2012 after a gap of over 8 years. Left again last year after several months - multiple max level classes, all well geared, one with legendary cloak and top end raid gear. Lots of nostalgia; lots of good storylines; lot of fun. Until I decided it was time to move on. And it seems I have missed very little as far as new content goes :)

Great advice... Tempted to choose druid..

but can anyone answer why druids would be ( more) fun as a healing class then other classes...  Why do you like/love healing as a druid?

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Then you're looking for a resto shaman with an elemental off-spec or vice versa. 

Restoration shamans are extremely good in PvP, if played well. They are good 5 man group healers as well. The elemental spec provides very good dps both burst and sustained. 

Great advice... Tempted to choose druid..

but can anyone answer why druids would be ( more) fun as a healing class then other classes...  Why do you like/love healing as a druid?

They are different than most other classes. I enjoyed healing with one, but I have never healed a raid before so unsure about that, I know I enjoy when I have druid healers in the raid. I am usually a tank and with druid healers they are very consistent, other classes have huge heals that require me to get low to be effective, besides disc priest which are lacking in endgame a little. The Hots druids provide help keep me topped off to ensure if I take some spike damage I dont get KOd. I love that you can pretty much have heals out for all players at the same time. They have rebirth which gets someone up that has died which is really good.

I took the step, resubbed and started a NE Drood...  I made it to 22 over the weekend..

compared to my Vanilla drood, i found two thinks remarkable, the healing skills influence eachother, adding some tactical depth, and it seems switching forms is no longer punnished as it was in Vanilla, making the class what i wished it was back in vanilla.

i like hotting people up, and then switching to forms to do some dps, while the HOTs still do their work...

Loooks like i made a great choice, time will tell ..  

I took the step, resubbed and started a NE Drood...  I made it to 22 over the weekend..

compared to my Vanilla drood, i found two thinks remarkable, the healing skills influence eachother, adding some tactical depth, and it seems switching forms is no longer punnished as it was in Vanilla, making the class what i wished it was back in vanilla.

i like hotting people up, and then switching to forms to do some dps, while the HOTs still do their work...

Yep you will be happy with them. I played a druid as well during Vanilla and could never get much higher than lvl 20, of course that took forever back in the day but still. All I wanted was cat form and it took so long to get by the time I got it I wasnt amused.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Sure you will have fun.

I took time / enjoyed a lot of the pre-90 stuff that had been added since 2005 (some fell flat but most didn't) but as and when you come to the end game raids if you opt to develop the druid tank spec then that will probably make it easier for you to get into raids. (Maybe its changed but tanks were the role that was usually in shortest supply). Which will help get the gear you will ultimately want - until you call it a day of course :)

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I enjoyed Shaman very much.  Jack of all trades, and can kick some butt when needed.  Can even fill in for tank or healer for a few critical seconds.

I love my enchance shaman.  I've played them all and I just find this class so fun.  Not to mention, it does crazy dps while leveling lol.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

im sure the game is still pretty much like this..

druid > everything else

but then again havent played in a very loong time restro shammys were also very good in panderia

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

I enjoyed Shaman very much.  Jack of all trades, and can kick some butt when needed.  Can even fill in for tank or healer for a few critical seconds.

I love my enchance shaman.  I've played them all and I just find this class so fun.  Not to mention, it does crazy dps while leveling lol.

i hate shamans.. i just cant play it because i want to play all the speccs at the same time =/

I had fun once, it was terrible.