Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have been playing mmo's for 20 years...

Comments

• NellusNellus Member UncommonPosts: 247

I'm not a fan of when people throw a years number out there as an attempt to lend merit to their argument. I agree with the OP on that. Unless clearly stated like that I tend to brush it off as simply throwing the number on the table, and nothing more.

I do, however, wish it was listed on the left pane under our avatars. It's useful. When I'm replying to someone who has been playing for three years I'm less likely to cite EQ as an example, or World of Warcraft, or even the first Guild Wars. There's no point in citing examples that person isn't as likely to understand as more recent ones. In a very subjective debate, like opinions on MMOs, our opinions serve as the crutches to most of our points. We have population, subscriber, and longevity data.. but not a lot of other concrete figures to work with. Only our personal experiences.

- Nellus

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kyleran

Even if there's a ring of truth to them?  Or perhaps especially because it might be true?Something is holding the genre back.

Circular reasoning. Maybe try something that isn't logically flawed...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    Originally posted by Distopia

Even if there's a ring of truth to them?  Or perhaps especially because it might be true?

Something is holding the genre back.

WHo decides this? that's the problem with such statements.

your right!

the only problem with you being right is that we are still stuck with the same games

I don't disagree, these aren't the games I'd like to see, I just don't let that guide me into saying my choice is better. For some it obviously isn't, the way I look at it is,  the same way as any other medium, I'm a dinosaur at this point as far as taste is concerned.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

of course experience matters.

more importantly, if there are so many of us with such extensive experience why is my screen filled with adds for kids games?

How many times are you gonna repeat yourself? we heard you the first time.

I didn't want to take the bait but i will bite. Please explain 'kids' games.

you dont know what a kids game is?

Considering the habit of posters here to exaggerate everything to sky high... nope i i do not.

I am sorry I can not help educate you on what a kids game is.

My only suggestion is to take a guess at what I mean, you seem rather intelligent to do so

Wasn't there a saying going something along the lines of "You only grow old when you stop playing games." so my rather obvious question is: Are you in denial? Or just hate a certain subset of games and categorize them as such? Because maturity isn't oozing from your posts.

I am having a hard time believing that smart posters here at MMORPG do not know exactly what I am talking about. I think they are acting coy just to try and engage me in a conversation which I am positive they will win BUT will not change the actual reality of the subject.

funny how that works

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788

more importantly, if there are so many of us with such extensive experience why is my screen filled with adds for kids games?

Considering the habit of posters here to exaggerate everything to sky high... nope i i do not.

My only suggestion is to take a guess at what I mean, you seem rather intelligent to do so

Wasn't there a saying going something along the lines of "You only grow old when you stop playing games." so my rather obvious question is: Are you in denial? Or just hate a certain subset of games and categorize them as such? Because maturity isn't oozing from your posts.

I am having a hard time believing that smart posters here at MMORPG do not know exactly what I am talking about. I think they are acting coy just to try and engage me in a conversation which I am positive they will win BUT will not change the actual reality of the subject.

funny how that works

I always thought all games were for kids but if you're still playing games as an adult you're just a kid at heart.  So really....we really have no clue what you are talking about.

Originally posted by vandal5627

funny how that works

I always thought all games were for kids but if you're still playing games as an adult you're just a kid at heart.  So really....we really have no clue what you are talking about.

no...all games are not for kids.

chess for example is very serious business

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

There are games for everyone and then there are games designed just for kids, Wizard 101 as an example, is very much designed for kids.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

funny how that works

no...all games are not for kids.

chess for example is very serious business

Then you should answer his question then because no matter how intelligent a person is, they are not you, they have no idea what you think is a kids game.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

...So my opinion is clearly more credible than yours.  

Is this possibly the most irritating statement regularly seen on mmorpg.com, or are there others?

I find it irritating when those with an opposing opinion of other opinions, resort to personal attack instead of providing a real argument.

Then you should answer his question then because no matter how intelligent a person is, they are not you, they have no idea what you think is a kids game.

I am sorry but your line of logic based on what I said doesnt make any sense.

Besides, tp be honest for those who dont know what I mean and what games I mean then I dont want to engage in a debate with anyway.

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469

When my grandfather tries to give me advice or explain something to me, I shake my fist & say "You shut your mouth, old man! Your age & experience mean dick in my world. Your ancient bylaws are empty oaths that no one cares about in the world I live in. That world being the future."

Stupid old man with his high-falutin wisdom. Pfft, I already know everything...

-Chuckles
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

...So my opinion is clearly more credible than yours.  

Is this possibly the most irritating statement regularly seen on mmorpg.com, or are there others?

I find it irritating when those with an opposing opinion of other opinions, resort to personal attack instead of providing a real argument.

Nope, you are completely wrong. I think completely invalid, illogical arguments are the wave of the future! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    It depends on the subject and discussion. Sometimes life experience,  just like in an mmorpg, does mean something. What it all boils down to in almost any discussion here is personal opinion,  so there is no right or wrong.

No it does not. 

So experience never means anything ? Bold statement.

Not when you're talking about subjective things.  Someone who has been playing these games for 20 years has no more a superior opinion than someone who has been playing for 2 years.  It's all subjective.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

Besides, tp be honest for those who dont know what I mean and what games I mean then I dont want to engage in a debate with anyway.

Fair enough then, if you don't want to engage in a debate about something, don't bring it up.  If you do it's fair game.

Originally posted by Unapologetic.Panda

When my grandfather tries to give me advice or explain something to me, I shake my fist & say "You shut your mouth, old man! Your age & experience mean dick in my world. Your ancient bylaws are empty oaths that no one cares about in the world I live in. That world being the future."

I just got a job at NASA with no experience :)

Fair enough then, if you don't want to engage in a debate about something, don't bring it up.  If you do it's fair game.

no I am sorry it doesnt work that way.

I am expressing an opinion to everyone. Me not wanting to engage in trolling does mean I should express myself

Originally posted by Octagon7711
    Originally posted by breadm1x

I used that sentence yesterday.

And that was about online gaming (started online gaming on a 300 baud acoustic modem and a 4.77mhz ibm with 512kb).

Supercomputer

Only i had a Hercules monoccrome screen.

Updated that years later to what u see here an expensive CGA screen witch could handle like 4 colour at the same time !

I even Overclocked it with a Nec V20 later ! to a whooping 8mhz !

My first 'nice' computer was a commodore amiga 500.  Before hard drives when everything ran off floppies.  It was a multi windowed monster!

I've got you both beat, my first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4.  Everything ran off a tape drive and there were no monitors, you had to hook up a TV to it.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more

Originally posted by rodingo

The funny thing is, for every guy/gal that proclaims they have been playing MMOs or video games for X amount of years there is always many more of us that have also been playing for as long or longer but just don't feel the need to proclaim it.

I think the real take away here is that if most MMO players have been playing MMOs for more than 10 years then why the fuck do they keep feeding us kids games?

A better question is, why the fuck do you keep playing them?

Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by rodingo

The funny thing is, for every guy/gal that proclaims they have been playing MMOs or video games for X amount of years there is always many more of us that have also been playing for as long or longer but just don't feel the need to proclaim it.

I think the real take away here is that if most MMO players have been playing MMOs for more than 10 years then why the fuck do they keep feeding us kids games?

A better question is, why the fuck do you keep playing them?

I dont feel that I do, nor did I suggest all MMOs are for kids.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Foomerang

"People who keep buying these sub par mmos are responsible for holding the genre back"

I hate statements like that so much.

Even if there's a ring of truth to them?  Or perhaps especially because it might be true?

Something is holding the genre back.

No it's not.  The MMORPG genre is more successful today than it's ever been in its history.  Nothing is holding it back at all. Just because you don't like the direction the genre has taken doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the genre.

Originally posted by Unapologetic.Panda

I just got a job at NASA with no experience :)

Cleaning toilets and mopping floors is nothing to be proud of.

I am expressing an opinion to everyone. Me not wanting to engage in trolling does mean I should express myself

It's not trolling, they are asking you a legit question about a comment you made about what constitutes to you as a kid mmorpg.  You keep on dodging it.

It's not trolling, they are asking you a legit question about a comment you made about what constitutes to you as a kid mmorpg.  You keep on dodging it.

If I said Eve online is an example of a kids game would I get banned for trolling or do you think people would believe me when I said it?

I have expressed an opinion I do not want to engage in a debate with someone who doesnt understand what I mean and who will without a doubt win the debate but will not change the reality. move on bro

If I said Eve online is an example of a kids game would I get banned for trolling or do you think people would believe me when I said it?

If it's an honest opinion why would it be trolling?  People will probably won't take your word for it and disagree but doesn't mean it's trolling if you honestly feel that way.

one time I said 'isnt wildstar a kids game'

the mods gave me a warning.

If I said 'Eve is an example of a kids games' there is a good chance they would give me a warning for baiting.

of course Eve is not a kids game.

never the less, like I said, if you dont know what I mean just move the fuck on. I expressed an opinion and I do not want to engage in a debate on the subject that I know I will lose

If it's an honest opinion why would it be trolling?  People will probably won't take your word for it and disagree but doesn't mean it's trolling if you honestly feel that way.

one time I said 'isnt wildstar a kids game'

the mods gave me a warning.

If I said 'Eve is an example of a kids games' there is a good chance they would give me a warning for baiting.

of course Eve is not a kids game.

never the less, like I said, if you dont know what I mean just move the fuck on. I expressed an opinion and I do not want to engage in a debate on the subject that I know I will lose

Then stop responding to me then if you dont want to debate.  And I'm pretty sure you got warned for more then just asking "Isnt Wildstar a kids game."

This discussion has been closed.