Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have been playing mmo's for 20 years...

Comments

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Playing MMORPGs 20 years doesn't make you an expert on if the game is good or not. It just gives you knowledge of the history of MMORPGs. An MMORPG is good or not is base on the person and that person alone, noone can tell you otherwise.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by breadm1x

I used that sentence yesterday.

And that was about online gaming (started online gaming on a 300 baud acoustic modem and a 4.77mhz ibm with 512kb).

Supercomputer

Only i had a Hercules monoccrome screen.

Updated that years later to what u see here an expensive CGA screen witch could handle like 4 colour at the same time !

I even Overclocked it with a Nec V20 later ! to a whooping 8mhz !

My first 'nice' computer was a commodore amiga 500.  Before hard drives when everything ran off floppies.  It was a multi windowed monster!

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Not mentioning your experience is a bit like going to a job interview with a resume

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

The funny thing is, for every guy/gal that proclaims they have been playing MMOs or video games for X amount of years there is always many more of us that have also been playing for as long or longer but just don't feel the need to proclaim it.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by rodingo

The funny thing is, for every guy/gal that proclaims they have been playing MMOs or video games for X amount of years there is always many more of us that have also been playing for as long or longer but just don't feel the need to proclaim it.

Shoot, most of us were shamed for so long that we'd still prefer not to admit that we play MMOs. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by rodingo

I think the real take away here is that if most MMO players have been playing MMOs for more than 10 years then why the fuck do they keep feeding us kids games?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Azoth
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    It depends on the subject and discussion. Sometimes life experience,  just like in an mmorpg, does mean something. What it all boils down to in almost any discussion here is personal opinion,  so there is no right or wrong.

No it does not. 

So experience never means anything ? Bold statement.

In terms of video games? nope it doesn't. It is not some specific skill line that only few can pick up learn and then boast about their experience in terms of years. Any dick and harry can pick up a computer and console and start playing video games.

Almost everyone here who is in their 30's and 40's have 10+ years of experience with online games. It is silly to brag about something so pointless.

You played MMOS for 10 years? so did i..who gives a bloody toss really?

I think you are missing the point. It is not a matter of bragging, it's more about knowledge of the changes that operated over the years. So yes having played more games than someone else can give you a different point of view on certain things.

No one is talking about it making you play the game better.

In what context do you think people who throw this line actually use it? to show their knowledge of 'change' or to put down the views of others?

It is more of an equivalent to 'get off my lawn'. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

"People who keep buying these sub par mmos are responsible for holding the genre back"

I hate statements like that so much.

of course experience matters.

more importantly, if there are so many of us with such extensive experience why is my screen filled with adds for kids games?

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Foomerang

"People who keep buying these sub par mmos are responsible for holding the genre back"

This.  +10000000000000

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I think you are missing the point. It is not a matter of bragging, it's more about knowledge of the changes that operated over the years. So yes having played more games than someone else can give you a different point of view on certain things.No one is talking about it making you play the game better.

Knowing and drawing out correct conclusion are 2 entirely different things.

Only what matters is the statement, not the one who propose it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Or it's other form, "you're the problem with MMO's today"...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Even if there's a ring of truth to them?  Or perhaps especially because it might be true?

Something is holding the genre back.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

more importantly, if there are so many of us with such extensive experience why is my screen filled with adds for kids games?

Because they pay the site to advertise?

Experience matters, but experience doesn't make you right in and of itself, that's the point here.

Originally posted by vandal5627

This.  +10000000000000

some people want to play sub-par MMOs while using logic gymnastics to justify that they are right in doing so. They feel like they have won.

The only problem is, they are still playing those MMOs while the rest of us are playing much better ones :)

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by rafalex007

there is :

if you are older then me doesn't make you right :) ;)

That can't be right. My wife is older than Jesus and is NEVER wrong, or so she tells me. ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!

How many times are you gonna repeat yourself? we heard you the first time.

I didn't want to take the bait but i will bite. Please explain 'kids' games.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I believe your math is lacking, the MMO did not start till 1997. If you have problems with that, what other problems might beset you ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

you dont know what a kids game is?

Considering the habit of posters here to exaggerate everything to sky high... nope i i do not.

Considering the habit of posters here to exaggerate everything to sky high... nope i i do not.

I am sorry I can not help educate you on what a kids game is.

My only suggestion is to take a guess at what I mean, you seem rather intelligent to do so

Originally posted by Kyleran

Even if there's a ring of truth to them?  Or perhaps especially because it might be true?

WHo decides this? that's the problem with such statements.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by LordZeik
    Unless I see some sort of degrees or other certification your opinion carries just as much weight as the next guy. Grats on playing for 20 years though! Oddly enough this genre of gaming still has a long way to go.

Congratz on being "That Guy" who replied without reading OP's post, which was two lines long.

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kyleran

WHo decides this? that's the problem with such statements.

your right!

the only problem with you being right is that we are still stuck with the same games

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I am sorry I can not help educate you on what a kids game is.

My only suggestion is to take a guess at what I mean, you seem rather intelligent to do so

Wasn't there a saying going something along the lines of "You only grow old when you stop playing games." so my rather obvious question is: Are you in denial? Or just hate a certain subset of games and categorize them as such? Because maturity isn't oozing from your posts.

This discussion has been closed.