Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: One Month In

2»

Comments

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Originally posted by fldash
    Bought two accounts, did not subscribe on either of them.  Back to Guild Wars 2.  Will return if/when it goes F2P.

I tried to go back to GW2 a couple months back. Talk about a dried up place to be. So much potential that was wasted. 

Agree.

I was a huge fan of GW1 but GW2 was clearly a disappointment. Not a bad game but not even close to what it would really be.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I'm subbing for the next few months at the very least. Nothing better coming out for an unknown amount of time. Just wish I had more then 1-2 hours a day to play but someone's got to pay the bills around this bitch. :D

• licks666licks666 Member Posts: 1
    This game is good people give up to easily
  • Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

I really want to get into the game, but the control scheme is fighting me.

I played Tera and Neverwinter Nights, and I think those control schemes would have been perfect for Wildstar. The mouse look is locked, two main abilities on Left and Right mouse buttons, and about three often used abilities on Q, E and R. And most abilities should be aimed, but instant without positioning fields etc. Or the fields have the target as center point.

I find myself doing too many actions per minute playing most of the character classes in Wildstar for it to be any fun for me, although I love the active style of play and the constant motion.

If it were a first person shooter, that also would have been a different matter, something like Borderlands or Defiance. 

But to have all the movement of a FPS , but the amount of buttons, charged attacks, positioned fields, rotating the camera etc. of an MMO...it just doesn't work for me so far.

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I'm really enjoying the game. It's complex enough to keep me interested, from crafting to character development to house decoration to combat. It's so feature complete one month out that it makes other releases look amateur.

I thought the cartoon nature would turn me off but the strong mechanics keep me engaged.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Originally posted by Distopia

I just wonder if this is the right time to release a game like W*. I wonder that based on general interest in the title, there's very little conversation going on about it. Forum hits are rather low, this has really been the case since it's release a month ago. With so many recent games of it's type, from the resurgence of SWTOR and FFXIV,, as wells as Rift, ESO, etc... Market saturation is essentially at an all time high.

Even if it is better at doing it's features, it has to compete with burnout more than anything. That can be tough in such a climate. I understand a company can't just hold on to a product indefinitely until a better window surfaces, still I wonder if they should have.

Pretty much how I feel. Enjoyed it well enough in beta, but coming off FFXIV and with other games to play (currently Divinity: Original Sin, later Wasteland 2 and Destiny) I just don't see myself finding the time (or motivation; there are a few things that annoy me about WS) any time soon.

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48

Well, all my friends have had more time to play so they are all lvl 50.  I am still 30 and realize now that it is ZERO fun leveling up in this game.  Boooooorrring.  Can't pvp with my friends, they CAN mentor down but so far is seems pretty worthless for them...they get Renown, but who the fuk cares.  So...here I am, trying PUGs for dungeons which is never enjoyable...I just skip the adventures...and trying to pvp without voice chat never works out...

So I'm stuck, cause I'm sick of questing...its not original...it's boring lol.  I know I know, complain much...la de da.  But seriously...can they make it more enjoyable for my high lvl buddies to mentor down or something.  I'm sorry I'm not hardcore enough to hit 50 in 3-5 days.  BTW, wtf is that...anyone remember Everquest?  Remember the feeling of leveling up, you have accomplished something.  Hitting 50 in Wildstar seems like 1 or 2 levels in everquest...wish they would have gotten that feeling back.

I'll drag my ass on...no doubt, cause I love the combat.  But damn, casual gamers get fuked hard.

Peace out!

• NemersesNemerses Member Posts: 23

It's by far the best mmo out there right now, not ever had any real performance issue, have subbed and will be playing for a while I guess.

my main concern lies with the fact that all raiding is hardcore, a mistake I think.

www.Immortals-mmo.co.uk

• fR0z3nS0u1fR0z3nS0u1 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Unsubbed a week in. Nothing feels new, everywhere is the feeling 'been there... and there... and there... done this, and that... and that too...' The cartoonish graphics are not bad, eye candies are everywhere. It looks gorgeous, I'll commend. But... shallow. WoW done with a twist.

Attemts at humour are recognizable, but not enough to make me truly laugh. I can appreciate an attempt but if it falls short of real laugh, it's actually a failed attempt.

TSW was the only thing these past years which kept me subbed for more than a month, and then I decided to keep it short until it became 'buy to play' (it was totally obvious from the beginning to me). And GW2 was worse. I can only compare Wildstar to GW2 - similar mechanics (more diversity though), similar appoach to zones, etc. Maybe I'm just growing old.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    And i'm glad i make the right choice to uninstall right after reaching level 4 in CBT.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    After trying it again for a few days. No. This game is not for me. Too many flaws and too many design decisions which i can and will not support.

Hodor!

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Never bought it. Never will. I just thought some one would be like " Omg did Moguy2 buy it? " . Thats why I am posting this.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    DOH!   what happened to Wildstar being the best game evah?  Guess now some are starting to agree with Beta testers that found the game to be mind numbing...

• onemanwolfonemanwolf Member Posts: 20
    Thank God I here WOW might have a new expansion in Decemeber?  O O O you should tire ESO thats sounds like more your speed.  Good luck!
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Randayn
    DOH!   what happened to Wildstar being the best game evah?  Guess now some are starting to agree with Beta testers that found the game to be mind numbing...

Nothings changed, some people don't like it, some people love it. Been the same discussion since beta.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    This is a game front loaded with fun but then soon the marriage hits and your begin to hate each other and the end game does not present so much fun and as much to do for "everyone" as what it once was.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Alverant
    I'm enjoying the game overall. The only framerate issue I've experienced is when I'm in the Exile's capital (I haven't played Dominion yet but I assume they have a similar problem) which can get pretty frustrating. My other big issue is that level progression goes too quickly. Even though I've deliberately not played as often as I could, I'm just a few bubbles short of lv25 in about a month. With my other character, I'm still gaining about a level a day. That's just too fast for me. Whatever happened to enjoying the journey? I wanted something for the long haul and now it seems I'll breeze through most of the content a few months.

Overall I love this game and have already subbed. How long will stay is hard to say. Only thing I really hate in game (besides bots) is limit of only 1 active toolbar. Bad, very bad decision.

Regarding bots ... I have not seen single one in last week maybe in PVE world at least. I get from time to time some gold spam in my in game mailbox, which is easy solved by button for reporting. Not big deal. But they did wonderful job since day one regarding chat gold spam. In all this time have not seen a single gold spam in chat and this is wonderful.

FPS problem is just terrible one as you mentioned mainly in Thayd, but also later in other cities even if not so heavy. I must switch to ultra low settings to be able barely to move through city. This problem appeared with some of last patches still in beta. Later they have improved to some degree.

Alverant, try this workaround, usually as I have talked to people, does not solve completely problem, but you get in media soli +15fps increase only from this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/256719/got_major_perfomance_boost_and_stable_5060_fps/

Instead of deleting Wildstar folder under Roaming have renamed. Speed increase was instant, confirmed by few in chat that followed suggestion. Is not stellar, but now I can finally play high out of city. It looks problem could be related to old beta config files, many who do not have problems have installed at release time, many as myself have just continued to play and upgraded.

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/31563#f8LGzjmYwdkGPOWA.99

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I unsubbed from the game a week in, because there was too many messages popping up on my screen that was breaking my immersion into the game. Also, I liked the telegraph combat system in pve well enough but it annoyed the hell out of me in PvP.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Sp00sh

Well, all my friends have had more time to play so they are all lvl 50.  I am still 30 and realize now that it is ZERO fun leveling up in this game.  Boooooorrring.  Can't pvp with my friends, they CAN mentor down but so far is seems pretty worthless for them...they get Renown, but who the fuk cares.  So...here I am, trying PUGs for dungeons which is never enjoyable...I just skip the adventures...and trying to pvp without voice chat never works out...

So I'm stuck, cause I'm sick of questing...its not original...it's boring lol.  I know I know, complain much...la de da.  But seriously...can they make it more enjoyable for my high lvl buddies to mentor down or something.  I'm sorry I'm not hardcore enough to hit 50 in 3-5 days.  BTW, wtf is that...anyone remember Everquest?  Remember the feeling of leveling up, you have accomplished something.  Hitting 50 in Wildstar seems like 1 or 2 levels in everquest...wish they would have gotten that feeling back.

I'll drag my ass on...no doubt, cause I love the combat.  But damn, casual gamers get fuked hard.

Peace out!

Yeah its sad that not a single game maker wants to go the slow leveling, group based play route.....Im amazed very many sub to these newer MMOs knowing this.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Ok, so I have been playing for about a month and I am absolutely loving it.  I am only level 33 on my main but that's because I rerolled on a different server to play with friends. 

Most of the people complaining that the game "isn't fun" or "it isn't original" probably haven't made it far enough to actually experience the heart and soul of this game, and that is it's dungeons.  For the first time since TBC wow, I actually feel accomplished after I complete one!  I have pugged through a few and a few were wipe fests, but all and all they are a ton of fun to do. 

As far as questing goes, if you actually take the time to read the quests there are some pretty interesting stories.  If you just click through the quests, race from hub to hub, ignore professions, ignore the adventures and dungeons, and ignore your housing plot in hopes to reach max level as fast as possible I am sure the game isn't much fun.  If you are open minded and take in all it has to offer it's an amazing game!

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Kingmob23
    I unsubbed from the game a week in, because there was too many messages popping up on my screen that was breaking my immersion into the game. Also, I liked the telegraph combat system in pve well enough but it annoyed the hell out of me in PvP.

FYI...  You can filter messages so that you don't get spammers.  Also they have done a great job of cracking down on botters and farmers.

IMO, no other game has had devs, listen so closely and actually respond/fix issues as fast as the devs in this game.  Heck I played ESO for 3 months and major storyline quests were still broken when I stopped playing.  The game is 38 days old and there has already been a content release.  Not to mention that there are bug fix patches on the regular...  keep up the great job carbine!

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by snoocky
    And I am out already!

Me too.