Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

What is combat like in Tera?  Is it difficult and twitchy?  Lots of movement and dodging?

Thanks!

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

yes. but quite FUN. Gotta keep moving!!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

some people like it, some people dont.

I find it the least actiony out of all the action combat mmos out there. So much animation locks that prevent you from naturaly moving or chain combos freely. It kills the action in it. There is a ¨combo¨ mechanic but you dont actually chain combos, all you do is press spacebar upon a button promt (like a QTE) and it keeps casting skills one after the other without actually making natural movement chaining them together, just a spam macro.

But its not all negative with it. It has the best targetting system in any action combat mmo, why? because it doesnt use targetting with basic attacks and many skills. You hit whatever stands in your way without your skills magically clipping through enemies because your target was a different one.

WIth that said, you can only dodge if you are a warrior, slayer or archer. Warriors dodge is a skill with cooldown..... Berzerkers can only block, no dodge. lancers (tanks) also block. Mages kind of have a backwards dodge like the archers, only dodging backwards. Priests and mystics i dont remember what they do in place of dodging or blocking. But yeah, you are either running or attcking, not very mobile game. Animation locks keep you rooted and you cant even do basic attacks while jumping? animation locks strike again. Not very actiony i would say.

EDIT: that was my experience with its combat. Maybe you would find it fun as people like different things. Its a F2P game so you dont lose anything trying it.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Is it difficult compared to most action combat MMO's?  I've had trouble with some of them in the past.  Not that coordinated!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    The control of combat is similar to games like Neverwinter, Mass Effect 1-3, and the aiming of ESO (I believe Tera combat is better then ESO, but again I also like ESO.)
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by rojoArcueid

some people like it, some people dont.

I find it the least actiony out of all the action combat mmos out there. So much animation locks that prevent you from naturaly moving or chain combos freely. It kills the action in it. There is a ¨combo¨ mechanic but you dont actually chain combos, all you do is press spacebar upon a button promt (like a QTE) and it keeps casting skills one after the other without actually making natural movement chaining them together, just a spam macro.

But its not all negative with it. It has the best targetting system in any action combat mmo, why? because it doesnt use targetting with basic attacks and many skills. You hit whatever stands in your way without your skills magically clipping through enemies because your target was a different one.

WIth that said, you can only dodge if you are a warrior, slayer or archer. Warriors dodge is a skill with cooldown..... Berzerkers can only block, no dodge. lancers (tanks) also block. Mages kind of have a backwards dodge like the archers, only dodging backwards. Priests and mystics i dont remember what they do in place of dodging or blocking. But yeah, you are either running or attcking, not very mobile game. Animation locks keep you rooted and you cant even do basic attacks while jumping? animation locks strike again. Not very actiony i would say.

EDIT: that was my experience with its combat. Maybe you would find it fun as people like different things. Its a F2P game so you dont lose anything trying it.

I agree with this.  It would've been better without the requirement of animation locks.  The combos aren't truly combos either.  It's a 1-button macro basically.  The praise of this game's combat system is way overrated.

The targeting is nice, but it could use some improvements.  Those who don't like targeting reticles though are out of luck, because there isn't any other way to target.

Coming from GW2, the dodging feels limited in this game to me.  You can only dodge one way and it's limited to a button press, instead of a double-tap in any direction, as in GW2.

The overall game isn't that bad though, but the animation locks kill it for me. 

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

The combat is a kinda mix between turn based and action combat. I really enjoy it myself and I find it more difficult than conventional mmo combat.

Give it a go as it's ftp anyways:)

• aethusaethus Member UncommonPosts: 5

If you're a fan of action console games like Monster Hunter, Bayonetta, DMC, Dynasty Warriors, then you might enjoy Tera a lot.

Weight and movement play a huge part in it's combat as you have to weigh the pros and cons to swinging around a large weapon. The game also doesn't fight for you via RNG dice rolls, if your weapon hits an enemy model it deals damage no "MISS" popping up over your head. The same is true for monsters though, they'll throw attacks your way and you have to understand attack patterns and monster movements to be able to dodge and counter properly.

If you're more of a tab targeting fan, go for GW2 or Wildstar as you can stay on the run just worry about your rotation and staying out of fire.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'd say great, crisp controls about the best out there for an action mmo. I find Tera combat challenging because it's all about timing your attacks & planning them along with blocking or dodging. Pulling these of while fighting BAMs is very rewarding. I do prefer my action combat to be a little more mobile, more like Vindictus but it's just a different type.

It's not like Neverwinter, GW2 or the same, incoming damage is not up to the defense math in your gear or like GW2 a cooldown debuff timer, you actually block or dodge an attack in Tera. Looks and feels real.

Here's a nice in depth video I ran across a while back explaining combat mechanics in mmos.

http://youtu.be/8RGzzS1jGJc

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

What is combat like in Tera?  Is it difficult and twitchy?  Lots of movement and dodging?

Thanks!

Combat in this game is the one thing it has going for it...past htat is sucks, but the combat itself is amazing!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• aethusaethus Member UncommonPosts: 5

Warrior basic dodge does not have a cooldown, it uses stamina

Warriors also have a teleport and a block and other attacks with invincibility frames.

Berzerkers and lancers block, but also have a dodge on a cooldown.

Sorcs have 2 dodges and a teleport.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by aethus

Warrior basic dodge does not have a cooldown, it uses stamina

Warriors also have a teleport and a block and other attacks with invincibility frames.

Berzerkers and lancers block, but also have a dodge on a cooldown.

Sorcs have 2 dodges and a teleport.

I have a feeling he didn't even get past noob island and is giving "expert" advise.  I find these type of explanations funny.  Mainly because of how much the combat of each class changes as you get higher level.