Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Rob Pardo Leaves Blizzard

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Blizzard is down one Chief Creative Officer with the announcement that seventeen year veteran, Rob Pardo, is leaving the company. Pardo did not cite reasons for his departure, only that he will spend the summer enjoying time with his family.

"As to what I will be doing next, I don't have an answer for you yet... but I will 'when it's ready,'" Pardo said. "My priorities are to enjoy the summer with my family, play plenty of games, and think about what's next. The game industry is such an exciting place right now with PC gaming thriving, the new consoles, mobile games, and virtual reality becoming an actual reality. It's like having an empty quest log and going into a new zone for the first time."

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• abahnurabahnur Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I always wanted wow to finally die....but ...then again what would everyone hate? (besides I'm re subbing in like 2 days.)
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Chillin is good for the soul. After 17 years good on you.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by psychobgr
    Chillin is good for the soul. After 17 years good on you.

I agree. There are a thousand reasons someone leaves a company: General fatigue with the job, (God forbid) family illness, wanting to do something else, accomplished everything desired. It doesn't have to be abandonment of the company.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ZwuckeLZwuckeL Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by abahnur
    I always wanted wow to finally die....but ...then again what would everyone hate? (besides I'm re subbing in like 2 days.)

I highly doubt any current MMO will have even 10k players the day WoW dies.

WoW is here to stay. Games like ESO or Wildstar aren't

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Maybe he will venture fund Pantheon RotF

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

riot takes another

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Being creative for 17 years is about 17 years longer than most people ever put in.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It's time for a break after 17 years.  It's hard stressful work working on games.

Just want to say, 17 months is a long time to work with a game company, forget 17 years.  Everyone is gonna hate on Blizz as usual, but all the haters just don't get how the gaming industry works.  They all think you work for a company for all your life...that just doesn't happen with gaming companies.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

this opens the door for some of blizzards up incoming talent like craig amai to have promotion opportunities.

craig's designed some of the funnest quests you probably played in MOP.

this is good news, will help keep blizzard fresh and help them keep newer talent they acquired.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It must be a sign !

The End is Near !!

Er... who exactly is this Rob Pardo dude ?

/joke

• Aru10Aru10 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Being creative for 17 years is about 17 years longer than most people ever put in.

perfectly put

• BeardyguyBeardyguy Member Posts: 18

I really doubt it's Riot, but you never know. 

Either way, this is a bigger loss than GC was. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Asamof

riot takes another

source?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I wish him all the best and hopes of bigger things to come.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    as long as it's not Metzen.
  • QubedQubed Member Posts: 1
    He will be missed.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

At the moment, it looks as if the best MMORPG's have a golden era that lasts about 5 years, followed by a period of decline that starts to bite at 7 to 10 years.

This is probably due to the initial geniuses leaving.

I would love to be proved wrong by Blizzard. I would like to see them hire a leader who can rejuvenate WoW, but my guess is that big publishing companies are no longer capable of taking the risk of trying brave new things.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Something tells me he sees the potential money in some type of kickstarter campaign for a new game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

maybe he just wants to be able to spend more time playing TITAN...oh wait

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It sounds to me like someone has been talking behind Blizzard's back to another firm about a new adventure.Most likely under contract it would be illegal unless he says he is retiring.Then magically a few months later we are going to hear about some new kick start company.

I think the reason we have seen so many leave the company a VERY successful one is because they see how easy it is to put out an average effort and make tons of money from it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nubachunubachu Member Posts: 1
    RIP Blizzard.
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288

One (admitedly important) dude leaves Blizzard.

MMORPG.com fourms: OMG WOW IS DIEING etc

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

tbh any job for 17 years can burn you out and you need time out.

wish him well ,he is not just a game designer ,he is a gamer at heart too(remember legacy of steel everquest- he was the guildmaster).

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    New creative minds can be only a good thing for WoW at this point.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by nubachu
    RIP Blizzard.