Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: One Month In

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It’s been one month since WildStar launched. While it’s been a mostly smooth ride, there’s been a few bumps in the road to shake things up. In his weekly column, Gareth Harmer looks back at both the good and the bad of that inaugural period.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: One Month In.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    And I am out already!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I enjoyed the pvp until the bots came that kind of ruined it for me, I will sub in a few month and see how it is then.
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    You can tell that a lot of effort has been put in the game, and I think It's really good. I will probably re-sub in a latter date when everything has settled down and/or WoD fails to grab me.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'm enjoying the game overall. The only framerate issue I've experienced is when I'm in the Exile's capital (I haven't played Dominion yet but I assume they have a similar problem) which can get pretty frustrating. My other big issue is that level progression goes too quickly. Even though I've deliberately not played as often as I could, I'm just a few bubbles short of lv25 in about a month. With my other character, I'm still gaining about a level a day. That's just too fast for me. Whatever happened to enjoying the journey? I wanted something for the long haul and now it seems I'll breeze through most of the content a few months.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

the game is stellar!

even though ive recently been hit with disconnecting error during my veteran game play and pvp. their support team has been helping me solve this issue. 

the lore is rich and game play amusing and fun! - does carbine have  my wallet?  -

yes they do!= have i become a fanboy of carbine and WS? absolutely cupcake!

i have enjoyed everything about wildstar!

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

I think the game is good. It is overwhelming and gameplay gets to be a bit tedious. It was well thought out, but ultimately it's just to overwhelming for me. I mapped the controls to xpadder, that helped some, but a polished native control made for controllers would be great for this game. There is so much dodging, double jumping, running down enemies..... When there is that much going on, I just like a controller.

I too won't be resubbing, in fact I just sold my pc, my morale with respect to pc gaming is at an all time low, it is not WS fault either.

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251

After almost a year of beta testing, I decided not to buy W*.  Monday I was offered a guest pass so I downloaded it and tried again, just to see what has and hasn't changed.  Sadly, the only noticeable improvement was in my FPS.

I remember saying that the HUD/UI felt way too cluttered during beta, and I remember less 3 months before release they changed it up and it had a decent feel.  Now, it's all cluttered again.  It feels like during the majority of the gameplay I can't see most of the environment/characters/sh*t I should be paying attention to because there's so much useless nonsense popping up all over the place.

There's little to no interaction between players and the only thing seen in chat is the occasional someone looking for help with a group boss.  After 3 days and getting 3 characters to 9 and 11 and 12 (spellslinger, stalker and medic) I'm feeling the same thing I felt in beta.  Boredom.  It seems that right when things start to take off and stop feeling like the "introduction" is over, I start getting that feeling like I'm stepping into another grindfest and have to step away.

I could probably justify spending $60 on the game if it weren't sub-based.  It seems like a game I could play for a while, but only for a couple days a week.  There are F2P games I enjoy much more and spend more time with, so I'd rather give it to them.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Crusades

I think the game is good. It is overwhelming and gameplay gets to be a bit tedious. 

I like the game but this is how I feel.  The game is too in your face and over the top.  I feel like I can't relax and play.  It actually showed my appreciation for a well rounded tab target type MMO.

What stood out the most for me was the music.  The music was the game's best feature in my experience - everything else underneath the sugar coated frosted flakes was something I have experienced before.  The housing is very fun and I can only imagine the things they will end up incorporating with it.

I will probably sub back in later on and try it again. 

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Originally posted by Crusades

I think the game is good. It is overwhelming and gameplay gets to be a bit tedious. 

I like the game but this is how I feel.  The game is too in your face and over the top.  I feel like I can't relax and play.  It actually showed my appreciation for a well rounded tab target type MMO.

What stood out the most for me was the music.  The music was the game's best feature in my experience - everything else underneath the sugar coated frosted flakes was something I have experienced before.  The housing is very fun and I can only imagine the things they will end up incorporating with it.

I will probably sub back in later on and try it again. 

Exactly how I feel too.  I won't sub again until later, not sure what will pull me back, but I literally went and resubbed to my old favorite FFXI and it's like night and day.  Still a challenging game, heck I think it's harder than Wildstar but at least I can find time to relax in it and enjoy the "world".  Wildstar makes me feel like I took an adrenalin pill or speed it's so hectic and over the top.  I truly feel like the hamster in the wheel on their loading symbol lol(I know it's not a hamster).

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    I love the game and am supporting it actively. I have subbed for three months. That being said, I am taking this game very easily because it is just a bit over the top. It is what I need on the weekend, but not so much what I need after a hard day of work. I find traipsing through D3 torment more relaxing than playing WS.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• nobloodnoblood Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I'm really enjoying so far and just sub for 3 months, i'm still lvl 35 and looks like will be a fun ride.
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

Really enjoying the current content and i m really happy they already added more in less than a month. I also got a CREDD so i ll be playing the next month for free :)

Imo easily one of the 2-3 best mmo's in the current market, with huge future potentials.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Bought two accounts, did not subscribe on either of them.  Back to Guild Wars 2.  Will return if/when it goes F2P.

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I just wonder if this is the right time to release a game like W*. I wonder that based on general interest in the title, there's very little conversation going on about it. Forum hits are rather low, this has really been the case since it's release a month ago. With so many recent games of it's type, from the resurgence of SWTOR and FFXIV,, as wells as Rift, ESO, etc... Market saturation is essentially at an all time high.

Even if it is better at doing it's features, it has to compete with burnout more than anything. That can be tough in such a climate. I understand a company can't just hold on to a product indefinitely until a better window surfaces, still I wonder if they should have.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Love the game, but due to the framerate issues, I'm not subscribing until they either optimize it or I get a better graphics card.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

WildStar is definitely in your face but the experience, for me, is incredible enjoyable and rewarding. Nexus lacks some of the world immersion that other games shoot for but makes up for it with a style that sets it apart from most other games. The game is designed for FUN, and FUN only. It doesn't try to be an alternate life, although I play it like it is, and without apology presents content that does not take itself to seriously. Oddly enough I find myself doing more RP with my Chua more so than with any other character in any game. There is deep lore, and there is wild and wacky. There are stylized graphics mixed with great graphics effects. There is fast paced combat that never lets me lean back in my chair to simply click buttons. There is my  obsession with my house. 

WildStar will not be for everyone, but I am having a great time!

BTW not having any of the technical issue other are, my PC is about 2 years old. 

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by fldash
    Bought two accounts, did not subscribe on either of them.  Back to Guild Wars 2.  Will return if/when it goes F2P.

I tried to go back to GW2 a couple months back. Talk about a dried up place to be. So much potential that was wasted. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Really enjoy W* but.....there's this pesky little mmo called Final Fantasy XIV that is doing everything right by me. I will visit W* now and again. They really did a great job with that game.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

You guys who are having FPS issues make sure you do not use the bijiplates addon it plunges your fps. I also think the patch has improved it ,mine has gone up since patch, even in Thayd. No more stuttering drops in Thayd.

I do not frequent the Wildstar forums here as the official forums are where I am spending my time now. Mainly because I get most of my answers on things there. There is little point in spending it here as not much good info is here nor are the forum posters here really enjoying the game so it makes for not much reason for me to come here. I do check out other forums while here but not the Wildstar one.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Its a really well put together game, with a wealth of features and content, but its not for me.  This makes me sad, because I wanted to love it but the mid 30's reflex slow down which relegated me from raiding in a cutting edge wow guild to being a victim of floor poo means that I simply cant quite keep up with Wildstars demands.  Well thats not quite true, its just I dunno, it requires constant 100% focus, which while commendable, doesnt lean its self to my style of game play which is bursts of activity punctuated with some casual grinding on cruise control.

As some one who always took pride in my gaming skills this was a sad realisation, like an old boxer coming out of retirement one last time I find the game is a youngsters game.

Its hard, I am glad to see challenge back in mmos, but Im looking for something less twitch based.  I hope wildstar is a success, because its clearly a labour of love and I know a lot of people currently enjoy it.  But anyway there are games out there which are less twitch based for people like me.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Distopia

I just wonder if this is the right time to release a game like W*. I wonder that based on general interest in the title, there's very little conversation going on about it. Forum hits are rather low, this has really been the case since it's release a month ago. With so many recent games of it's type, from the resurgence of SWTOR and FFXIV,, as wells as Rift, ESO, etc... Market saturation is essentially at an all time high.

Even if it is better at doing it's features, it has to compete with burnout more than anything. That can be tough in such a climate. I understand a company can't just hold on to a product indefinitely until a better window surfaces, still I wonder if they should have.

Forums are generally a place for the vocal minority in all games, they are generally places where people go to complain, and an even smaller number of die hard fans go to contest any complaints.

I would not read too much into them, wait for announcements over sub numbers, or NCsofts financial reports, then you will get a better picture of how the game is doing.

• inoxcopiainoxcopia Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I still do believe that my leveling in ESO from 1-50 was the best experience i had after playing all the major mmos. To bad that after hitting the VR levels the game become a bit boring and also the lag in PvP made me to stop my sub. Playing Wildstar gives you a funny  deja vu, it's like leveling another character in wow... The quests are boring and the lore is almost as bad. I was really pushing myself to level my character but after reaching level 15 or so found that the game has some strong aspects. The most important thing that i have found is that  Wildstar has a very  good gameplay. Fluid animation and responsive character movement, you really have the feeling that you have 100% control over your character (much superior from  GW2 combat for example ), also adding to this the very nice housing makes the game interesting. I will continue playing and leveling my 2 characters to see how this nice gameplay materializes in PvP and raids.  

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Already bored and back to playing other games.  A game catering to the hard core yet still wanting to have mainstream numbers is doomed to fail.  Only the poopsockers will be raiding much in this game because even just getting to the raid involves some serious cock stabbing.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• spoggosspoggos Member Posts: 7
    already quit
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    They should have waited until 4 month after WoD, taken the time to get the game out of it's current beta status for launch and went for 29,99 for the box plus something from 8 to 9,99 per month.