Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Divinity: Original Sin: Roleplaying Depth and Adventure

Comments

• lolzimlolzim Member Posts: 2
    I agree with your comments and I wish that we would use it most efficiently. Yepi | Kizi
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Being one of the guys who bought into this game on kickstarter I highly recommend this game to anyone.Larian have a habit of producing gems like Divine Divinity which even now is sold on steam and with you being able to play that game on 1080p.Played about 6 hours early access before release just to get the hang of the game on original sin and it is worth every penny.Just about everything in the game is interactive.Only thing I don't like is not being able to rotate camera 360 degrees.But apparently you can go into settings and alter it somehow.Not quite sure how but its doable.Not only that the toolset available for the modders out there will leave you to play endless amounts of content or remakes of other classic games.Here's hoping some really nice modders do an up to date version of divine divinity ,only this time making it turned based.would be awesome.

That's my 2 cents anyways.

• lorddarceklorddarcek Member UncommonPosts: 5

O/ 

First RPG ive backed throught kickstarter and let me say im a proud father.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 271
    can't stop playing.  feels very pen and paper rpg.  loving it!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am sold,i am willing to try it out although i am not a huge fan of turn based but at same time i don't dislike it either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Grrr went to Steam,found out i need a 6600 and i only have a 5200+ with the 8800 GPU so not sure it will even run.I could play it on my laptop but i don't like gaming on my laptop so guess i am out  of luck.

Would be nice if developers could put out a testing program to see if my system would run the game.Square Enix did this with FFXIV and allowed me to play even though i did not meet system specs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Grrr went to Steam,found out i need a 6600 and i only have a 5200+ with the 8800 GPU so not sure it will even run.I could play it on my laptop but i don't like gaming on my laptop so guess i am out  of luck.

Would be nice if developers could put out a testing program to see if my system would run the game.Square Enix did this with FFXIV and allowed me to play even though i did not meet system specs.

that sucks.  maybe they'll release a demo at some point :(  .  game doesnt seem to require much for what its worth.  but I wouldn't want to waste money on something I can't run either.  

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

I bought this, but I am finding it very difficult to get into.

the user interface needs a lot of work, and the game could definitely have benefitted from some of the more modern advancements in user interface design.

Right now to disarm a trap you need to open your inventory, find the disarm tool, click the disarm tool, move the inventory window out the way, find the mine on the ground, click the mine.

Totally ridiculous, and that sets the tone for just about everything you need to do in the game. About 4 clicks more than should be necessary. UI is fairly awful and seems to hearken from a time when the more work the player had to do before eventually being able to do what they want was considered "hardcore" and "value". 

Quests are another issue. There is a LOOOONG quest log, where a quest entry can be a page of text. There are no summarised objectives with locations etc.

If you put this game down for a week say to work on a end of fiscal year report, or to go on vacation (it's summer) might as well start it over. You're never going to be able to pick up from where you left off. In fact I see people suggesting you keep a notepad next to your keyboard while you play. Might as well use a Quill, parchment and ink while you are at it? 

I picked up Borderlands 2 after 6 months of not playing it yesterday. Quickly perusing my quest log I figured out what I had to do, where I had to go, and I was up and running in ten minutes. After about thirty minutes most of it came back to me.

In contrast between yesterday morning and now I'm a bit lost in Divinity. I know there was a lighthouse...a church somewhere...where are they? Oh right let me read through these pages of text...maybe I have to go all the way back to the actual dialogues to try to figure it out. Oh goddamit, I am actually writing this shit down in a notebook. I am summarising the quest objectives myself, so I don't have to go through this again. This is the "Hardcore" RPG experience that the developers wanted players to have. Really? This is value? 

That's a real failure to address the way the gaming public has grown and developed since the days of Ultima. I mean holy crap even Arcanum and Baldurs Gate 1 had better user interfaces and quality of life. 

As for the game mechanics themselves? Completely obscure and opaque. The game gives you just about nothing to go on , and there is no manual. There is also very little information online, because between the Beta Sessions, First Access and launch a fair amount has changed. For example one of the core Wizard spells, Flare, was nerfed.  If you try to follow information for Witches, wayfarers etc.  it no longer applies since the hybrid classes are apparently not in the same place they were during Beta. 

So you are looking at a LOT of time just figuring out how all the different parts of the game work, what combinations of characters will be effective and which will make life more challenging. 

I would actually give this a Wait And See. 

The developers aren't going to fix the quest system, as this seems to be an idealistic concept with them, but maybe the players can fix some of the other things like the lack of info on classes, powers, progression (what do the second and third groups of spells look like for the classes?). Hopefully mods *might* fix some of the other things like quest objectives. 

Sometime today I might get back to it, and try to remember where the NPC that sold the quests I wanted might be in the first city, since vendors don't have any notification on them or nameplates either. You need to remember where you saw them last, and what they sold. Fun fun! 

Everything else in the review is spot on. Graphics, quality, detail, character development and interaction , excellent and deep combat system, turn based done right. 

But the User Interface and quality of life pitfalls will frustrate me so much that if I were reviewing, that alone would drop the overall score for me. It's 2014. The people that played RPGs in the days of Ultima have different lives now. I need a developer that understand that, and tries to help me along. And I really want to like and play this game. Why couldn't an easier way to interact with the world (ever heard of right click context menus?) and note quests (the "hardcore" can't turn this option off in options screen if they don't want it?) be included? 

I have high hopes, because this has the potential to be another great classic like Neverwinter Nights. Multiplayer Co-Op and what is supposed to be a robust Game Editor and creation kit? The sky should be the limit. 

But...we'll wait and see.

If you have the cash and you weren't in the kickstarter, I'd buy it just to support the genre and efforts such as this, but be prepared to be frustrated if you are the average gamer like I am. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

This game is fantastic.  One of three kickstarter projects I backed and am very happy that I did.  Perhaps the best game to ever be released that has been on Kickstarter.  So far I'm very happy with the investments I've put into KS -- though that's likely due to the fact I do a lot of research on the company beforehand and the product they're introducing.

The role playing aspect of it is excellent -- though I would've preferred a better way to receive text when in multiplayer with someone (when they're talking to NPCs).  Aside from that, the editor is also extremely well done and I can see a lot of potential for players who enjoy crafting worlds.

Be forewarned that this game is very old-school in a lot of ways, and does not hold your hands.  The "quests" do not typically tell you what to do where what direction something is.  You have to find it all yourself, much like a RPG game use to be without the game just placing a marker on your map that you character somehow knew despite never being there before.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • GamezGlitchZGamezGlitchZ Member CommonPosts: 94

Youtube Channel!
    Please Click Here to Support My CHANNEL! Thank You ALL!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GamezGlitchZ?sub_confirmation=1

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    little tip; get pet pal talent when u make char (just for 1 char only) :D animals got funny dialog and voice acts.
  • CalamarCalamar Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Gel214th

Right now to disarm a trap you need to open your inventory, find the disarm tool, click the disarm tool, move the inventory window out the way, find the mine on the ground, click the mine.

Or you can place the disarm tool on a quickbar slot and just left click slot, left click mine.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

Originally posted by Calamar

Or you can place the disarm tool on a quickbar slot and just left click slot, left click mine.

Thanks for that tip :-) 

Now, anything with the quests? ;-D

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369

Originally posted by Calamar

Thanks for that tip :-) 

Now, anything with the quests? ;-D

Leave notes on your map as you play (you can make custom map notes) if you don't want to take physical notes on a notepad. The questing system in this game is about exploration, deduction, mystery and intuition. There won't be a bouncing ball to follow like more action oriented, fast paced type systems. The point is the questing, not grinding. If you look back to the older cRPGs (Ultima, Wizardy), note taking was very common in play. This game continues that tradition. It isn't archaic, it is simply a style of play. 

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

This sounds quite a bit like a primarily single-player game. Is this true, and if so why is it on mmorpg.com?

Either way, it does sound promising.

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

This sounds quite a bit like a primarily single-player game. Is this true, and if so why is it on mmorpg.com?

Either way, it does sound promising.

A solo game with strong CoOp features. CoOp is not a gimmick or afterthought in this game as it is in many others. 

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Welp, i had been keeping a distanced eye on this game waiting for the official release, was somewhat excited as there hasn't been fuck and all worth playing (mmo or otherwise) in the RPG genre in the past couple years.

Then i read its a true turn based system and that just shot it dead in the foot for me.

I dont mind quasi turn based like original BG, etc, but full on turn based in an RPG is just retarded as hell to me.  It works in strategy rpg's like final fantasy tactics but not in isometric top down, etc.  Just dumb.

Really frustrating.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Welp, i had been keeping a distanced eye on this game waiting for the official release, was somewhat excited as there hasn't been fuck and all worth playing (mmo or otherwise) in the RPG genre in the past couple years.

Then i read its a true turn based system and that just shot it dead in the foot for me.

I dont mind quasi turn based like original BG, etc, but full on turn based in an RPG is just retarded as hell to me.  It works in strategy rpg's like final fantasy tactics but not in isometric top down, etc.  Just dumb.

Really frustrating.

The turn based game play is quite good. It is fast paced and allows for some amazing strategies. By the way, many games of old were turn based. In fact, if we were to take every cRPG made and compare the number of turn based to that of real time or similar, turn based games would out number real time greatly. It is understandable that you don't care for that style, but this game was designed specifically for those who enjoy this style and it really works well. 

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Now, could somebody make new version of Might & Magic rpg (or similar first person view rpg)?

Originally posted by SimonVDH

Now, could somebody make new version of Might & Magic rpg (or similar first person view rpg)?

Did you miss Might and Magic X? 

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I didn't like this game at all.  I draw the line at flaming skeletons using water magic to heal themselves, frost arrows with 100% hit chance and missing three rounds because of knockdown.  This game has a multitude of different effects, but they boil down to either your character is taking damage or your character is incapacitated.  So far, this game has been nothing but a colossal waste of time.
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    This game isn't fast paced at all. The only saving grace it has is that you can alt tab when the computer moves its ten guys compared to your two.
  • VolumendsVolumends Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Best game I played in last few  years. Yes, I'm huge fan of Divine Divinity. This game got me when ZixZax returned me transfer pyramid which he stole me 10 years ago. Also on hard it is quite challenging.

MSI GE70 - i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, 8gb ram, 750gb 7200RPM HDD and 128gb SSD

Originally posted by red_cruiser
    This game isn't fast paced at all. The only saving grace it has is that you can alt tab when the computer moves its ten guys compared to your two.

Fast paced for action junkie play? No... fast paced for a turn based game? Absolutely. It really comes down to if you like turn based or not. If you don't and can't ever warm up to it, then this game isn't for you. Not the end of the world though as there isn't a single game out there that has a 100% satisfaction for all.

• KorthagKorthag Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Tottaly crap, no quest shower,no map location shower,,disgusting quest jornal , we r in 2014 and this game have only tex.And some of you said this game looks like Baldurds gate? Baldurs Gate is god of RPG, this game is god of rubish.What did you excpect of shity kickstarter game."Give us money,we need money to create perfect RPG". Poor and fool people who gave money to them.