Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just ordered this Game

ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Am in the EU, price dropped to £18 which is roughly what I was waiting for. Should have it within the next 3-5 days.

Any guilds out there willing to help teach a newbie to the game?

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    Try the official forums, more guilds on there than I can count.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Ahh its ok, after reading up current posts and being told by quite a lot of other people I decided to cancel my order of the game. Amzaon at the time of requesting cancelation also said it may be too late and to keep an eye on e-mail. Got one tonight saying it was successfully canceled.

Not saying I wont but right now its dropping in price like a brick on water and it really does not look that good right now. I will stick with Defiance+Rift+one day wow (after all I have 2 60 day gametime cards) but may not repack it up until after expansion comes out.

Not sure about wildstar, just seen a youtube vid of it but doesn't impress me that much.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Manestream

Ahh its ok, after reading up current posts and being told by quite a lot of other people I decided to cancel my order of the game. Amzaon at the time of requesting cancelation also said it may be too late and to keep an eye on e-mail. Got one tonight saying it was successfully canceled.

Not saying I wont but right now its dropping in price like a brick on water and it really does not look that good right now. I will stick with Defiance+Rift+one day wow (after all I have 2 60 day gametime cards) but may not repack it up until after expansion comes out.

Not sure about wildstar, just seen a youtube vid of it but doesn't impress me that much.

It's kinda sad that you let the opinions of others change your mind. ESO is better than any game currently out (depending on your preference).

• siicAdelicsiicAdelic Member Posts: 31
    Shoulda asked sure someone woulda just given you their account considering how many canceled.
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I never let someone else decide what I want to play. That includes friends and "official" reviewers. Everyone has an opinion. Just because "Adam" doesn't like a game, does not mean I will not like it.

Sure I got burned by a few - DC Universe, Guild Wars 2 but I have found some very fun games that others have said were terrible.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I wouldn't decide based on what others say. If you cancelled your order because all the bad reviews you have read, then that's a shame because you might like the game.

What I would do is read reviews of the game and focus only the bits which actually describe what the game is like. Ignore scores. And also I would ignore metacritic user reviews. These are toxic and unfounded. I played the game and while I didn't end up staying, I was shocked by the crap that was posted on metacritic and by some users on this forum. A lot of reviews are based on people playing the beta. But a lot of the reviews include flat out lies. Scores are also crazy stupid on metacritic. Giving the game a 0-4 is just disgusting. 

My point is don't listen to other people and certainly don't listen to user reviews. Any user review which is less than an A4 page is usually just one sided drivel. Avoid any reviews which only focus on negatives. A review should include both the positives and negatives and should try to describe the game rather than spout biased comments. If you read a review that tells you that ESO doesn't have any positives, it's also a crap review.

TLDR: MMORPG and metacritic user reviews are filled in with so much hate that they are not worth reading.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480

Very smart move - at first I was like oh my gosh why in the world would you order this game, but you totally redeemed yourself, way to go Floyd!!!

I would recommend FFARR, Tera, Rift, or yes even WoW - Wow is probably the easiest to get in and start socializing, but the other recommendations are great too.

Or.... If you're not concerned about the social aspect as much just go buy Skyrim on steam - absolutely endless amazing game.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

if i played mmo's based on what people on the forums say, i wouldn't play any of them.

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    I like how everyone's response is, "don't listen to those other people, listen to me instead." Made me lol.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Best decision you ever made. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    At some point, when the price gets to where you feel no regrets on purchasing the game, you should buy it and try it. I tell you this from experience.  Sometimes I thought man this game sucks, but then there are other times where I was like why wasn't I playing this game sooner.  I let people influence my opinion on three games and waited, years later I still play and love these games.  I know people who play ESO and really enjoy it and I know people who played it and disliked it.  Good luck.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Wow man, you are all over the place.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Theutus
    I like how everyone's response is, "don't listen to those other people, listen to me instead." Made me lol.

I didn't give him any advice on the game. I just advised him to decide for himself :D It can be particularly difficult to decide based on other people's experiences on the internet. For example, I've got a friend who if he told me that movie X sucked then I will be inclined to see it because I know his taste is completely opposite to mine. It's very difficult to judge the opinions of people who you don't know.

Too many users are unable to provide quality reviews because they go into one of two extremes - rabid fanboys or psychotic haters.These reviews should not be used as a basis for your decision. But then it's ultimately up to the OP to decide whether he wants to read those reviews and actually believe them.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Wildstar is like WoW, but without soul. TBH, the best MMO right now is waiting for the next game worth a damn.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    If the intention of the thread was not just another cheap shot at TESO...I am buying...I am cancelling; it is one now.
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Theutus

I just wanted him to use his own mind to formulate decisions...

He didn't say he was an avid sandbox enthusiast or I wouldn't have said anything. ESO is along the same lines as some of the games he mentioned. Some people quit ESO and they weren't have any issues at all. It's like being with a girl that everybody says is ugly, not too many will stick around no matter how attractive they find her. Funny thing is during the whole "ESO witch hunt" I asked people if ESO was such a horrible game what game would the recommend. They all said they weren't playing anything else... which means only one of 2 things.

1. The game didn't live up to their own personal expectations.

2. Somebody convinced them the game shouldn't live up their expectations.

Either way he would have to decide for himself...